The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Looking for the name of a candy

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 12, messages 181 to 210 of 332
Puregrace

• Total Posts: 17
RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sat, 02/11/06 9:36 PM (permalink)
We tried them this christmas. My daughter took it too slow with them. Now they are very hard and stick together. Not worth the money . . . I hope the others are better.

Delamere

• Total Posts: 105
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sat, 02/11/06 9:41 PM (permalink)
    "We tried them this Christmas."

I'm sorry Puregrace, which ones did you try at Christmas....the VCS or Stutz?

Puregrace

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sat, 02/11/06 9:50 PM (permalink)
      We had the VCS. I am so excited to meet others who longed for these. I thought we were going a little gonzo trying so hard to get them. Alas, I'm not the only one.

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sat, 02/11/06 9:57 PM (permalink)
        Yeh, actually the taste was OK for me, but I really liked the orange ones that I remember from the original candy, but unfortunately none of the ones I've tried in this search have had it.

Puregrace

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sat, 02/11/06 10:18 PM (permalink)
          I think it was the Stutz's that had orange. I am not sure if they are a special order or if they come with the rest. I'll let you know when they arrive at my mother's. She got some with the chocolate in the middle too. I think this means I need to go visit soon!
          Are you the one that tried to make them? I saw the recipe earlier in the thread. I tried looking them up but there was no way to know where to start. There were so many similar types. Do you know how this recipe came out?

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sat, 02/11/06 10:30 PM (permalink)
            "Do you know how this recipe came out?"

Do you mean the recipe that someone on this thread suggested? If that's what you're asking I'm afraid not. RubyRose gave her recipe on page 1 of the thread. I'm not that good a cook so haven't tried it.

If you're asking about the original recipe that started all of this, again I'm afraid not. In fact we can't seem to remember what the original company was that put them out.

Puregrace

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sat, 02/11/06 11:55 PM (permalink)
              Yes it was the recipe on this discssion I was asking about. It's too bad no one knows if it was close. Maybe I should try it for the heck of it.
              I don't know the original company. I was thrilled to find the Russell Stover lead. When I spole with them, they said everyone used to make them. Today, someone named Ultimate Confections and Vinetree Orchards are advertising a 9oz box of Merrimints . . .
              I seems to me, restaurants used to serve them and even hotels had them. I don't understand why they discontinued them.

dasl_4

• Total Posts: 187
                RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 02/12/06 12:33 AM (permalink)
                Interesting find today ... Olivers candy which supplied the pastel mints to VCS now talks about ORANGE and cinnamon being available during holiday times .. I know some ppl liked them and som had them stuck together .. here is the link and the description
                quote:
                Pastel Mints
                $9.95
                Here it is, the candy you've been waiting for. From crystal-to-creamy melt-in-your-mouth texture in sweet and refreshing flavors. Ridges on one side, smooth on the other. Flavors are lemon, spearmint, wintergreen and peppermint, also look for orange and cinnamon during holidays. ( Orange and cinnamon will show in the selection box below when they are available).
                http://www.oliverscandies.com/storeproductdetails.asp?CategoryID=70&ssid=2FDA58D1-B0B8-4B9D-AF45-E3DFF98050DB&ProductID=219

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 02/12/06 12:35 PM (permalink)
                  Today, someone named Ultimate Confections and Vinetree Orchards are advertising a 9oz box of Merrimints.

Oh, Puregrace, that's great! A couple of "new contenders" to check out. I haven't heard of either one. Hopefully one or both will have a website.

I also remember the mints that restaurants used to serve. Think they used to arrive on a small silver tray when your check arrived in some of the better places. Then there were the round semi hard ones in the mom and pop places that used to be up by the cash register.

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 02/12/06 12:44 PM (permalink)
                    Hi Dasl_4,

Thanks for the link. I'm the one who had the mints arrive in block form and now looking at the picture on the link you provided I found it interesting that the open box on the left looks like it has brown spacers or might be thin molded plastic individual holders. Weird, picture on the right doesn't show that. I actually got mine from VCS, but they were supplied by Olivers....same box, same everything except for the spacers.

Thanks for the link. Puregrace has thrown a couple more possibilities into the mix, so I'm going to see what I can find out about them also.

Delamere

Diner-Lover

• Total Posts: 246
                      RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 02/12/06 2:02 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Delamere

...I found it interesting that the open box on the left looks like it has brown spacers or might be thin molded plastic individual holders. Weird, picture on the right doesn't show that. I actually got mine from VCS, but they were supplied by Olivers....same box, same everything except for the spacers.

Those aren't spacers, Delamere. I clicked to enlarge the photo at the site and the description next to the photo says: "Introducing for the first time online - Half-dips! Traditional Pastel Mints half dipped in Oliver's Dark Chocolate!" So those were the chocolate dipped mints you were seeing.

My sister surprised my parents and me by getting us each a box of Merrimints from VCS this past Christmas. It was fun to relive old memories, but I found I wasn't too crazy about the spearmint or wintergreen flavors. Spearmint was too much like toothpaste flavor and wintergreen too much like Pepto Bismol flavor.

Someone mentioned mint "sandwiches" and I remember relatives bringing gifts when I was a kid of these Merrimint-like discs that had the thinnest layer of dark chocolate between them. I think they were smaller than Merrimints and had no ridges. The smooth, rounded part of the mint discs formed the sandwich. I wonder if they're still around?

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Sun, 02/12/06 2:19 PM (permalink)
                        Those aren't spacers, Delamere. I clicked to enlarge the photo at the site and the description next to the photo says: "Introducing for the first time online - Half-dips! Traditional Pastel Mints half dipped in Oliver's Dark Chocolate!" So those were the chocolate dipped mints you were seeing.

Well duh--LOL! Thanks Diner-Lover--I usually enlarge pictures---just didn't do it this time! I did think that was a bit much for them to each have a little "house" to sit in! Boy now THIS could spell trouble. Half covered in dark chocolate?? Oh-oh :-)

Someone mentioned mint "sandwiches" and I remember relatives bringing gifts when I was a kid of these Merrimint-like discs that had the thinnest layer of dark chocolate between them. I think they were smaller than Merrimints and had no ridges. The smooth, rounded part of the mint discs formed the sandwich. I wonder if they're still around?

Oh you bet I remember those. If these are the same ones I'm thinking about they came in a looong dark box similar in shape to the mint boxes we've been talking about, and yes they were typically brought as gifts and served right after dinner along with coffee or after dinner drinks.

dasl_4

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Tue, 02/21/06 11:28 PM (permalink)
                          I'm all out of x-mas French Creams :(
                          I only like cinnamon peppermint spearmint flavors .. why why why does Oliver's not have cinnamon year round

dasl_4

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 02/22/06 6:51 PM (permalink)
                            I just saw this and thought I'd share ...
                            quote:
                            Crystal Creams
                            Anyone else remember Crystal Creams from the Sears candy counter? As I recall, they were shaped sort of like a cross between a flower and a snowflak and came in different flavors and colors. The colors I remember are white, orange, green, pink and purple (purple ones tasted best!) Anyone have a recipe for these?

Crystal Creams
                            I, too, remember and long for the crystal creams from Sears. I found some in the Vermont Country Store catalog and tried them, but the flavors are not the same. My favorites were the pink and the white ones, but I also liked the purple

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 02/22/06 6:59 PM (permalink)
                              Hi Dasl_4,

Interesting. Where did you find that one? I don't know how much of this thread you've had a chance to read, but there are a few who have tried the creams from VCS. I only tried the wafers and as you already know wasn't that happy with them. Probably would have tasted OK if I could have ever pried them apart. Oh well, I'll keep searching.

dasl_4

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 02/22/06 7:15 PM (permalink)
                                http://www.inthe70s.com/generated/food.shtml

first time I had seen purple mentioned anywhere so I posted :)

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 02/22/06 7:27 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks for the link. That's really interesting since I've never even heard of one of these companies doing a purple. Might have to try them.

Ljbud44

• Total Posts: 19
                                    RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 02/23/06 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                    Well thanks guys, just when I finally worked past my cravings I get a bunch of emails telling me your chatting it up again! And now I'm gonna have to order some more Merriments & French Creams. I've ordered several boxes of each since the holidays and decided my wallet (not to mention my waistline) needed to take a break. I was doing a good job resisting the urge. Until now.
                                    My Merriments from Oliver's arrived just fine, not stuck together like Delamere's and lasted quite a while. Not to mention they're about half the price of the VCS. Like I've said before "go to the source." However, I do think I'll try the link from Yummie's candies someone posted earlier for $2.99 a box. It's sugar, how bad can it be?!
                                    I too remember the creams from Sears, and the French Creams from Oliver's taste like them to me, and I'm satisfied.
                                    I've noticed several of you mentioning ordering the Merriments and French Creams from VCS but guys know they get them from Oliver's and then jack up the price. You can go direct to Oliver's and get in a matter of days not weeks much cheaper.
                                    And to think I just got home from picking up 3 bags of Haribo Raspberries.
                                    Good thing Spring is just around the corner so I can get out and start walking.

Laurie

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 02/23/06 3:00 PM (permalink)
                                      You can go direct to Oliver's and get in a matter of days not weeks much cheaper.

You bet. I remember when I got my order from VCS the box said "Oliver's" on it, and I thought that was strange, so I did a search and sure enough found their site. I just didn't reorder since I had had such a yucky experience. May do it again when the urge strikes. Still hoping for the "originals" to pop up, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen.

Ljbud44

• Total Posts: 19
                                        RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 02/23/06 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                        Well Delamere you sound as persistant as me. Where there's a will there's a way. Someday, somehow, somewhere I have to believe we will find the "original". Game on!
                                        Don't forget once the weather warms up they won't ship the Merriments.
                                        Hum, I wonder how well they might freeze

Laurie

clbmd

• Total Posts: 12
                                          RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 02/24/06 9:15 PM (permalink)
                                          That's what Stutz calls them - daisy mints! I'm glad someone is familiar with them.
                                          Sorry - it's been a long time since my last post... I just woke up from my sugar coma... lol
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Puregrace

We are in the process of trying Stutz's Daisy Mints and Hebert's Pastel Mints.

clbmd

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 02/24/06 9:18 PM (permalink)
                                            Stutz's has peppermint, spearmint, wintergreen and lemon-mint. I lived right down the road and bought then all the time. Now that I'm not in PA anymore I only get them once a year or so. I don't remember orange. VCS has orange but I'm particularly fond of the minty ones. They're the flavors I grew up with.
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Puregrace

I think it was the Stutz's that had orange. I am not sure if they are a special order or if they come with the rest. I'll let you know when they arrive at my mother's. She got some with the chocolate in the middle too. I think this means I need to go visit soon!
                                            Are you the one that tried to make them? I saw the recipe earlier in the thread. I tried looking them up but there was no way to know where to start. There were so many similar types. Do you know how this recipe came out?

clbmd

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 02/24/06 9:26 PM (permalink)
                                              I bought the assortment packs from Yummies.com and they had orange and cinnamon (not one of my personal favorites, though). The consistency was right on but no one has come close to Stutz's yet.
                                              I've just placed an order with Olivers... may as well try them all... and I'm ready for another sugar coma... lol
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by dasl_4

Interesting find today ... Olivers candy which supplied the pastel mints to VCS now talks about ORANGE and cinnamon being available during holiday times .. I know some ppl liked them and som had them stuck together .. here is the link and the description
                                              quote:
                                              Pastel Mints
                                              $9.95
                                              Here it is, the candy you've been waiting for. From crystal-to-creamy melt-in-your-mouth texture in sweet and refreshing flavors. Ridges on one side, smooth on the other. Flavors are lemon, spearmint, wintergreen and peppermint, also look for orange and cinnamon during holidays. ( Orange and cinnamon will show in the selection box below when they are available).
                                              http://www.oliverscandies.com/storeproductdetails.asp?CategoryID=70&ssid=2FDA58D1-B0B8-4B9D-AF45-E3DFF98050DB&ProductID=219

clbmd

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 02/24/06 9:29 PM (permalink)
                                                Yummies has them! You can buy an entire box of any flavor or the assortment.

http://yummies.com/store/mints.html
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by dasl_4

I'm all out of x-mas French Creams :(
                                                I only like cinnamon peppermint spearmint flavors .. why why why does Oliver's not have cinnamon year round

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                                  RE: Looking for the name of a candy Fri, 02/24/06 9:53 PM (permalink)
                                                  I have a double dilemma. Not only have I forgotten the name of a candy, but I've completely forgotten what the candy looked or tasted like. Any suggestions?
                                                  The Bear

clbmd

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 03/1/06 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                                    I got my order from Olivers. Let's just say I'm sticking with Stutz's, although Yummies and Vermont's crystal cream mints are running a close second and third. The ones I got today are nothing like what I expected. For one thing they're made with a lot more confectioner's sugar and I'm not sure if the other three even have that in their list of ingredients. The confectioner's gives the candy a gooey consistency which is very weird to me. Also, the mint flavors are not as strong. I can honestly say 'never again'! I bought two boxes - opened one... I'll sell the other one on eBay... lol
                                                    Cee

Delamere

RE: Looking for the name of a candy Wed, 03/1/06 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                                      .....Olivers. Let's just say I'm sticking with Stutz's, although Yummies and Vermont's crystal cream mints

Hi Cee---I'm curious, Since Oliver's supplies VCS didn't they taste the same? I noticed you said that Vermont's and Yummies were 2nd and 3rd.

clbmd

• Location: Annapolis, MD
                                                        RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 03/2/06 12:02 AM (permalink)
                                                        They definitely weren't the ones I got from VCS...

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10314&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=10314

These are the mints I received from Olivers -

http://www.oliverscandies.com/storeproductdetails.asp?CategoryID=70&ssid=4EAADDD4-621E-4F18-9856-2D8007EBC4CA&ProductID=219

They were called 'pastel mints' and are smooth on one side, ridged on the other. The ones I'm used to seem to be made of sugar whereas the Olivers were made with confectioner's sugar - the kind used in cake icings. They were much too sweet and gooey for my taste. The ones I got from Olivers through VCS are called 'french creams'.

Oh, well... I guess I'll always have a soft spot for Stutz's. :D
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Delamere

.....Olivers. Let's just say I'm sticking with Stutz's, although Yummies and Vermont's crystal cream mints

Hi Cee---I'm curious, Since Oliver's supplies VCS didn't they taste the same? I noticed you said that Vermont's and Yummies were 2nd and 3rd.

dasl_4

• Location: orlando, FL
                                                          RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 03/2/06 3:01 PM (permalink)
                                                          Does Stutz's have a website? I have looked and looked for Stutz's Daisy Mints and zero luck

Puregrace

• Location: Round Rock, TX
                                                            RE: Looking for the name of a candy Thu, 03/2/06 3:04 PM (permalink)
                                                            Now that I have a fine minty breath, I'm back!
                                                            We tried the Stutz's Daisy Mints.
                                                            First, they are beautiful little daisies. Come in white, yellow, pink, purple. All the same peppermint flavor. They have a crystalized sugar coating and are quite thick, 1/2 inch. Creamy middle. A nice after dinner mint.
                                                            Compared to the Merrimints, the coating is rough on the tongue, the cream more water based, the flavor stronger. While they are good, they aren't as exquisite as Merrimints. I limit myself to one or two of the daisy mints a day. After that the flavor takes over in a bad way. The whole candy breaks down to a watery mess with a disciplinary flavor . . .like when your mom caught you saying bad words and washed out your mouth.
                                                            My mom received the Hebert's Pastel Mints. She thinks these are closer to Merrimints. She also received the ones with a chocolate center. They were stuck together. She is filing them apart to give me a better report.
                                                            More later.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 12, messages 181 to 210 of 332

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com