Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 12
Author
Delamere
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
2004/10/31 21:52:28 (permalink)

Looking for the name of a candy

Hi,

I wonder if anyone here is old enough to remember a mint candy wafer that came in a long box. This was back in the 50s and 60s. I remember them when I lived in northern Virginia. I think there were about 5 different colors each in it's own section of the box. There were white ones (peppermint) green (lime), pink (spearmint, I think), sort of an orange color one and a yellow one which was lemon. They were each about the size if a silver dollar and the backside of each mint had ridges like the potato chips. I cannot for the life of me remember the name, and would love to know if they're still around. The Vermont store had something like them a couple of years ago, but when I called to ask if each color had a distinctive taste they said no, so don't think they were the same.

Thanks everyone for any help you can give me.

Delamere

331 Replies Related Threads

essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/10/31 22:00:54 (permalink)
    They were creamy, right, kind of like dried frosting? i remember them, but not their name, darn it. i just wanted to let you know that i remembered too.

Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/10/31 22:05:29 (permalink)
    Oh Hamburger YOU'RE RIGHT!!! Boy it's sooooo good to find someone that at least remembers them. If you think of the name, please let me know.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Delamere
    Pogo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/10/31 23:01:05 (permalink)
    Google "candy" and see what you come up with. Some of the sites sell really hard to find candy.
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/10/31 23:05:41 (permalink)
    Oh I did that quite awhile ago, and of course came up with all sorts of "discontinued candy", "mints", "wafers", but never could figure out just the right phrase to ask to narrow down the search. There's also a wonderful site which I'll find later on that lists all sorts of discontinued foods other than candy. Fun site. Oh well, the search goes on!
    arnisarn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/02 14:12:53 (permalink)
    Were they called Meltaways or was that some other candy????

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/02 14:37:07 (permalink)
    Oh, yes, I remember them so distinctly. There was orange (both flavor and color), yellow (lemon), white (peppermint), green (spearmint) and pink (wintergreen). I'm pretty sure they had the word "pastel" in the name and were made by the same people who made very thin round chocolate covered mint patties. The boxes were the same size and used to be next to each other on the grocery store shelf.

We only had them for special occasions like adult birthday parties and I used to hide the pink ones on the bottom so nobody would see them and I'd get a chance at having the leftovers.

I have been searching for them for years too but with no luck either.
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/02 14:46:51 (permalink)
    Thanks Arnisarn and Ruby Rose! You bet that's exactly what they were Ruby Rose. I've tried for years to find them. As I said in my original post I thought I'd found them at The Vermont Store, and although they looked just like them on-line, when I called they said that although they were different colors, the taste was all the same, so I didn't order them. I just checked their site again and now don't even see those anymore. Think I'll call them. Soooooo frustrating isn't it!
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/02 15:44:02 (permalink)
    I remember them too. I found this site, they aren't exactly like what your talking about but they seem close (no ridges) They are called Crystal creme mints, scroll down the page to find them

http://yummies.bizland.com/store/mints.html
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/02 17:17:39 (permalink)
    Hi ocdreamr,

Great, I'll check that out! Think I'll email them and see if there are multiple flavors. They look a little smaller and fatter, but heck, if they taste about the same I'll give them a try.

Thanks so much for the link, and I'm off to investigate. I'll let everyone know what happens.

P.S. Off the subject. I'm new here and I notice that at the end of this reply window there's a small blank box that says "Check here to subscribe to this topic"---could someone tell me what this means? Thanks.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/02 18:21:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Delamere

Hi, I wonder if anyone here is old enough to remember a mint candy wafer that came in a long box.
    Delamere
    I think you may be talking about this: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=8766&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=38&iSubCat=179&iProductID=8766 . VCS has great "stuff" of all kinds.
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/02 18:22:49 (permalink)
    I was at Hebert's candies in Shrewsbury, MA a few weeks ago with my kids, and I think they had something that looked like what you describe. Probably not the exact same thing, and I didn't notice whether they were different flavors or not, but they may be close.

Also, I tried a recipe a few years ago from a magazine that came out similar to these as well. As I recall, it was basically cream cheese, confectionary sugar and mint extract. I imagine you could adapt it by using food coloring and changing the extract to get the desired flavors. You mixed it together and formed little balls, which you then flattened with a fork, then let sit until they firmed up a little. They were still soft and creamy, but just dry and firm enough that you could handle them without making a mess. They came out very good, and if you're ambitious enough to try it, I could probably find the recipe.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/02 19:20:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    P.S. Off the subject. I'm new here and I notice that at the end of this reply window there's a small blank box that says "Check here to subscribe to this topic"---could someone tell me what this means? Thanks.

If you click that little box, every time someone posts to your topic you'll get a notification in your e:mail. Not so bad for a topic with only a few replies but if you get a topic that goes on for several pages, it's a real pain!
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/03 12:23:40 (permalink)
    Thanks ocdreamer,

I've been on other forums where they just say to click a box to receive notification of a reply. I just couldn't quite figure out the wording on this....sounded a little strange.

Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/03 12:29:12 (permalink)
    Thanks jvsmom for the reply. Wow, you are much more ambitious then I am, but the receipt sounds wonderful. Think I'll see if Herbert's has a website. I've written the Yummie candy people, thanks to ocdreamer, and waiting for their reply.
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/03 12:35:46 (permalink)
    Hi Rick,
    Sorry I overlooked your reply before. Thanks for the link and I just called them and unfortunately although they are different colors, the flavors are all peppermint. Sure looks like what I remember though, but guess they're different.

Thanks again for your input I really appreciate it.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/03 12:38:12 (permalink)
    I guess Neccos is way off.......?
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/03 12:41:39 (permalink)
    Well pooh! I just heard from the Yummie candy people and the crystal mints I thought were a possibility all have the same taste. Sooooo the search goes on although I now have a sinking feeling that my candies from my youth have gone by the wayside as have so many of the other favorites from the past. Thanks again everyone for all your help. What fun site to read and participate in.
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/03 12:45:06 (permalink)
    Hi Rusty,
    Yup Neccos are not the ones I remember, but they're also good!
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/03 12:50:57 (permalink)
    quote:

Hi Rick,
    Sorry I overlooked your reply before. Thanks for the link and I just called them and unfortunately although they are different colors, the flavors are all peppermint. Sure looks like what I remember though, but guess they're different.

Thanks again for your input I really appreciate it.
    I'll check again. I got some of the differently flavored ones last year, but they didn't come in a long box.
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/03 14:33:29 (permalink)
    EUREKA! Well almost! I just called Yummies to make sure I understood their email when I THOUGHT they said the flavors were all the same, well I was wrong. According to the man at Yummies the flavors on their Crystal mints are different. Sooooooo I have placed an order. Now, the only kicker is that to place an order with them you have to buy $20.00 worth of whatever. So I had to go back through their site and now besides the mints I getting their handmade (?) truffles.

Thought you all would like to know this. I'll keep you posted as to whether this is anything like I remember. Course, as with so many things we remember from our youth, they may not be the same, but heck that's OK, the search has been fun and it was because of that investigation I've found this wonderful site and all you helpful food lovers.

Thanks again for all your help and a special thank you to ocdreamr for finding y
    Yummies.com for me in the first place.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/04 13:47:22 (permalink)
    I just got a 1957 Sears Christmas Wish Book as a gift and checked the candy section. They didn't have the candies you're thinking of but they did have molded ones called French creams that we used to get only at Christmastime. When I Google "French creams", these came up:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/jump.jsp?itemID=10314&itemType=PRODUCT&searchid=inceptor

While they're a different shape, I'd bet the flavor would be the same.
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/04 14:08:29 (permalink)
    Hi Ruby Rose,
    Well look at that! I remember those! They were really good also. Although not the same I might try them along with the big order I placed yesterday at Yummies (gotta LOVE that name). I swear I'm going make myself sick with all the candy I'm stocking up on. Feel like a squirrel storing nuts for the wintee--LOL Thanks much for finding this, R.R.
    acronson
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/29 18:42:30 (permalink)
    I just found something very similar on a website :www.christiescandies.com
    They are called Crystal cremes. They come in a box and it does say assorted flavors.
    They are $5 per box. Look in the mint section.
    acronson
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/29 19:36:44 (permalink)
    Also, try www.rockportchocolates.com

under half dipped cream wafers . These are chocolate dipped, not plain, but appear to come in the right flavors - wintergreen, lemon, orange,cinnamon and lime.
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/29 21:11:49 (permalink)
    Hi Acronson!

Two great leads! Thanks so much. Just to let you, and everyone else who was so kind in answering my request, I did get some mints from Yummie.com. Not exactly like the ones I remember, but they were different flavors. One of the flavors wasn't that great, but that's OK, the ones that were tasted wonderful. They were much smaller than the ones I remember and not many in the box, but certainly brought back memories of days gone by. I'll check your links out, and if I order any I'll let you know. Oh, BTW yummies require a $20.00 order I think so I filled in the rest with chocolate mini truffles. Pretty good also.
    bigbear
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/30 10:16:07 (permalink)
    From the http://www.hometownfavorites.com web site, a list of mints that are no longer made:

Borden Thin Mints
    Clorets Breath Mints
    Dynamints
    MerriMints
    Nabisco Mystic Mints
    Rockwood Mints
    Russell Stover Air Mints
    Russell Stover Rosebud Mints
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/30 10:54:07 (permalink)
    Hmmm. Looking at that Vermont Country store link I noticed that those pastel creams are in a Lammes Candy box. Lammes is an old Texas candy maker. I think I remember those pastel creams as a kid. My mother would have them for a special occasion. Maybe you can contact Lammes and find some info? Their web site is not that complete, looks like you can request a catalogue at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.lammes.com/
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/30 12:20:56 (permalink)
    Hi Maynerd,

Thanks for your reply. I actually called The Vermont Country Store last year and yes they have these mints and they looked very much like the ones from years ago, but when I asked the woman if they each had a different flavor to go along with the different colors, she said no--they were all peppermint flavor. Thanks though for the link to Lammes---I think I'll call them and ask them about it anyway.
    Delamere
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2004/11/30 12:25:50 (permalink)
    Hello Bigbear!

Isn't that interesting!! Thanks so much for getting the list. Not sure I'll recognize these mints by name, but I'm going to try and find out as much information as possible about those that sound like the ones I've been looking for.

Thanks again for your input!
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 12
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1