Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer.

Author
leila10
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2014/08/16 10:05:32 (permalink)

Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer.

Hello,

I am new to Road Food and this is my first post. I was hoping I could get some information regarding a commissary for a food trailer. I have been in the restaurant / hospitality business for years. My husband and I have decided to try a shot at opening a food trailer. We have done research and have come to the realization the health department is a nightmare. That being said in the state of Louisiana where we just moved to requires you to have a commissary for a food truck, trailer etc. I was able to locate a restaurant owner that was going to assist with a signed contract for a year for a fee. Well, he recently let me know that he wasn't going to renew his lease at his restaurant. This now leaves me trying to locate a commercial kitchen that would let me rent from them as a commissary. I am very new to the area and I don't seem to have any luck locating a facility.

If there is anyone that could possibly give any information or advice on where, how, I could find a commissary in Louisiana I would be most grateful!!!

Thanks,
Leila

10 Replies Related Threads

Flyingout
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer. 2014/08/17 18:39:53 (permalink)
    Leila, I don't know about Louisiana, but where I am, besides a restaurant you could look at churches, soup kitchens, halls, like a VFW hall etc.. As long as they are inspected.
    leila10
    Junior Burger
    Re: Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer. 2014/08/18 10:54:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the information. I never thought of a soup kitchen. From what I've read on Road Food obtaining the commissary is a hard process. However, opening a restaurant seems like it would be a much harder process so... I am going to go with this for starters.
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re: Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer. 2014/08/19 15:04:15 (permalink)
    Ask your local HD inspector if soup kitchens, churches, etc are allowed to be used as commissary for commercial use in your state/ county.  I was using a church until one of the inspectors here (in Portland, me.) told me that they didn't have the proper license to permit me to be there. It's messy, but essentially they were licensed for Non profit use only... This does not mean it will be the same in LA, but you should ask the HD before looking into locations.  The last thing I'd want is a lease agreement with a place that i cant use.
    leila10
    Junior Burger
    Re: Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer. 2014/08/24 09:51:11 (permalink)
    I will ask the HD. That would be a very bad situation. I don't know why it would make a difference if it was profit or non profit? The HD has rules that change from state to state and a lot of the rules are unreasonable. Thanks for the information and sorry you had to find out the hard way!
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 247
    Re: Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer. 2014/08/25 14:48:09 (permalink)
    Where in BR are you?
    rubyhawaii
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer. 2014/08/25 15:52:00 (permalink)
    Often, HD requirements for non profits are more lenient. 
    leila10
    Junior Burger
    Re: Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer. 2014/09/03 21:34:57 (permalink)
    I am in Walker however, I figured Baton Rouge would be the best and largest area to find a commissary. I would be open to any of the surrounding areas.
    Thanks!
    leila10
    Junior Burger
    Re: Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer. 2014/09/03 21:40:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. Trying to get a response without annoying the HD is also a problem. I really don't want to start out on their bad side without even being open yet.
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 247
    Re: Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer. 2014/09/04 01:25:32 (permalink)
    I wouldn't worry too much about annoying the HD.  If you don't get the right answers you could find yourself redoing everything and that would suck.  Make a list of all your questions then call and see if you can talk to an inspector and possibly setup a time to meet with them and finger it all out.

I have a friend with a restaurant about 40 minutes from you.  That's a bit of a hike but it might be doable.  I would try and find something closer just in case you have to spend more time there than you anticipate.  
    leila10
    Junior Burger
    Re: Looking to find a commissary for my food trailer. 2014/09/06 18:15:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the lead on your friend with a restaurant. I'm hoping to find something closer but if I don't he will really come in handy. This website is great it really has a lot of information for someone just starting out in this business. Once again, thanks for the lead I really appreciate it!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1