Looks like I got here just in time

Author
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
2009/06/02 11:56:06 (permalink)

Looks like I got here just in time

It's official, I am now a Texan. I never thought I would ever say that as I thought Californians and Texans were separate species....but I think I came to the right place here in Austin. According to this article, I arrived before it became too late.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/texas_constructs_u_s_border_wall?utm_source=c-section

I have yet to really get into a in depth trip report as this recent move was too stressful and it was hard to build a appetite. I have lost over 10lbs, but I look great in swim trunks now... I am very close to Threadgill's but not hungry enough to eat large large potions. 
Another thing is that since coming here, for the first time in my many years dining out, I want a good steak dinner. I figure that this state will have steaks down cold....(or hot).
I have been eating out a bit, but I forget to bring the camera.  Here is a quick over view of some places and meals. The first thing I tried was a taco truck. They are ubiquitous and cheap. here are tongue, carnitas and carne asada tacos

Kolaches. This one is jalapeno and cheese. The sausage is a course grind much like a Polish style sausage.

My first BBQ was Stubb's, who does have a very good sauce on the supermarket shelves. There is much about this place that has similarities to BB King's and HOB

Brisket and ribs. The meat tasted of fuel, not smoke. The sides were excellent and the jalapeno creamed spinach was the first time I tried this side dish, but it was so good that I will use it as a benchmark.
The onion rings were good too, but look very skimpy on such a large platter.
As a Californian, I still think that a tri-tip like the one John A recently cooked is better than what had and I think it will be one specialty that may take time to appreciate.

I live close to Lamar and this is one heck of a long drive that takes you past so many cool places (including Threadgill's). Here is one place that struck me like a magnet to metal. EZ'S has a long history, going back to the 50's. The have kept up with the times as they also offer brick oven pizzas for one and rosemary roasted chicken.
http://www.ezsrestaurants.com/

A chocolate malt:

Pepper Jack cheeseburger and onion rings. These freshly made rings have flavor that made me think of ranch dressing and not as peppery as they look. They are very good.

I love this shot. Night creeps over EZ'S, the day is done...

Mann's BBQ claims to be among the top 50 BBQ places in Texas, according to someone... It was very good, but I found the sauce to be lacking. It certainly did not compete or overwhelm the flavor of the ribs. The jalapeno spinach was bland. The owner was a nice guy and in the corner you can see the free brownie that he was giving out with the meal. A nice gesture, lagniappe.

This is for Dale/Wanderingjew. Here is Hoover's Cooking. The place was jumping at 4 PM on a Sunday afternoon but quickly cleared out. Do people eat earlier on Sundays?   I had chicken fried steak with creamed jalapeno spinach. It seems that the contrasting reviews for Hoover's are about this combination.  My feeling is somewhere in the middle. The coating was was crisp and flavorful. The mashed potatoes could have been a little more on the firm side and the gravy was just close enough to be too thick, but adhered to the meat and spuds just fine. I will agree that the spinach was lacking, there was nothing creamy about it and no heat. Hoover was walking around the front and kind of holding court. He definitely seems like a genuine nice guy but maybe he should be tasting what is being served....

The quart pitcher of lemonade. This stuff is excellent and a 'go-to' item. It costs about $3.25 and you get free refills!!!

I even saved room for pie. The waiter recommended the buttermilk pie, something I have never had before. It was like a intensely sweet custard pie.

This is just a sample of what I have seen and eaten. I keep forgetting to bring my camera. What has surprised me is the large Asian community here. I am in heaven.  This is Chinatown, it is about a 10 minute walk for me. I would compare it with the malls in Fort Lee, NJ and in Orange Co. in California.

This mall has a incredible grocery store and more restaurants from every Asian country than the U.N Food Court. This has been part of my problem, there is so much good stuff here that it somehow does not feel like a proper representation of Austin's food scene, although I have been eating here the most. That is a wrong assumption, but I will cover this mall seperately. I have had Vietnamese Bahn Mihn sandwiches, roast duck, noodles and more.  It is a roadtrip in of itself. One place serves food that you really can find only in China or in the big cities here in the States.
Here is one of the main reasons for coming here. The parks are excellent and I have this wonderful preserve about a mile from me. You can hike and bike and it is all off leash dog fun. This is one dog friendly city and I think it will work for doggydaddy too.
Checking out and meeting the flora...

Happy tails to you, until I post again......

mark

post edited by doggydaddy - 2009/06/16 11:46:33

28 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/02 12:20:12 (permalink)
    Great post! I'll have to try making some jalapeno spinach now!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/02 12:50:58 (permalink)
    doggydaddy

It's official, I am now a Texan.

No. You may be a Texas resident, but you'll never be a Texan. I have a daughter who has lived in Texas since she was three months old, but she's never been allowed to forget that she is not a Texan. 
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/02 14:02:37 (permalink)
    Mark that's awesome!  If you run into my friend Ted Davis tell him I said what-fer.  And great looking food too!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7666
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/02 18:27:49 (permalink)
    Mark,

Glad to see you made it to Hoovers.

When I was there back in 2005, I can truly say that the meal you ordered was one of my favorite all time meals anywhere. The Chicken Fried Steak was certainly the best I've ever had- anywhere.  Sorry to hear you didn't like the jalapeno creamed spinach.

I didn't like Stubbs- found the brisket dry, and the beans were soupy and lacked flavor- I did like those onion rings though.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 501
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/02 18:57:03 (permalink)
    Mark,

Glad that you made it to Texas OK but sorry that I won't see you on my Connecticut trips.  That food really looks good, so I am looking forward to some more outstanding reports in the future.  All the best in your new home.

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/02 20:10:35 (permalink)
    Mark, congrats on the big move. I plan to be in eastern Texas in February ( in search of great 'que ), and hopefully we can get together then.
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/02 20:26:03 (permalink)
    Great photos and descriptions.  Sorry to hear that you don't really feel like eating yet.  I can't wait to see what you post once your appetite returns!
    doggydaddy
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/02 22:13:43 (permalink)

Michael: I agree with you. I think that I will always have my heart in San Francisco. And as I said, I think that Texans and Californians are two different breeds... that are united by wackos.

Dale: Hoover's was fine and I suspect that Stubb's and many places have consistency problems based on the premise that ..it is home cooking after all. I have never measured anything.
    My brisket at Stubbs was very tender, and I have not followed it up enough to compare.

What I like about jalapeno creamed spinach is that I wonder why I never heard of it before. It is a staple on the menus here. Since I love spinach, I think i will always try it if I see it.

Rob: I think that the ...appizza will be my biggest loss. As for hotdogs, they will put anything into a tube and grill it.

Bob: This is for you...

And I have been eating and regretting that I did not have the camera on hand. You should see the meals and photos that got away.

mark

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7761
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/02 23:17:23 (permalink)
    Good luck to you Mark.

Just imagine...  everything is a new experience.

Enjoy them all!
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/02 23:24:07 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mark. Always glad to see the Big G and all his various friends and foes.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/03 21:07:30 (permalink)
    Glad you made it to Austin safely!
    Are those BEEF ribs you had at Mann's BBQ? They look big enough to be..

Any luck in your job search yet, Mark?
    You deserve a nice chef job; I'm confident you will get that "foot in the door" somewhere..
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2391
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/03 23:23:38 (permalink)
    DD, I'm sorry I never had the opportunity to share a meal with you here in the Northeast.  Many happy wishes for you on your new journey in the Lone Star state.  One I have not visited yet.  I hope to do so and share some brisket with you.  Funny you mentioned Fort Lee, NJ.  I work near there and there is a huge Asian population there.  Love the inclusion of the dog at the end and the witty sign off!  Happy Eating!
    doggydaddy
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 07:47:11 (permalink)

Ellen:   Those ribs were very good, and I think I am improving in my photographic kills. I made them look good. I think you will find all the beef you want down here. As I said, even I am thinking of going out for a steak dinner. That is something that I usually do not eat, steaks are meant for home cooking on a BBQ grill.
    The job search is just beginning actually as this move was a complete disaster and it took me about two weeks to get things right. I am extremely confident in that this was the right move in so many ways.

billyboy:  I agree, it was a shame that we never met. As I drove here, I had to drive past New york via the GWB and looking at the skyline, realizing how much I missed and will miss.
    I wish we met. That said, do not stop your inner city trip reports as you are among one of the best ambassadors to the city. With all your interest in urban bbq you should see how it is done down here.
    My dad lived in Fort Lee and West New York, NJ,, so that is how I became very familiar with that center. That supermarket is a real, true and amazing experience.

mark
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 08:24:47 (permalink)
    Mark, I did not know you were moving? Now we will get to see your take on Texas grub, with pic's. Good luck on the move and job hunt.
    doggydaddy
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 09:30:22 (permalink)

A couple things here for me to share. mar52 is right..everything is a new experience.  I also have a motto that is similar, "I am never lost, I am just in a place I have never been before". I usually say that when my GPS gives me wrong directions.
    It is amazing that I have not rear-ended anyone as I am looking at everything but the road.

This may be where I will have to step up to the plate and try to be a better 'Roadfooder' by adding these trip reports coupled with permanent reviews for the home page.
    I'll start with a little bit of Austin's musical and artistic culture with the statue of Stevie Ray Vaughn which is along the sides of Lady Bird Lake. As you can see, Little Stevie casts two big shadows.

The statue is located in a park area especially set aside for off-leash dog fun. There are paths along both sides that stretch for miles. If you can move, you will love this area.  Austin's famous bats live under the Congress Street Bridge next to this park.

The park is at the very beginning of a area known as Barton Springs. There is a different attitude south of Austin and this region requires investigation. Shady Grove is nearby, in fact it seems like I can walk to it from the park. Investigation is required.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/5711/shady-grove

As I wrote, everything is new to me and this region is sort of 'groovy'. Driving down Barton Springs Rd. is a great example and I saw a few restaurants and attractions that scream "Roadfood". Here is a case of me driving past and quickly turning around. Maria's Taco X-Press is popular little spot with a stage for bands.

In the lot is a bus that does a breakfast business. I don't see it here, but I read that their breakfast tacos are among Austin's best.

Here is the inside dining area. It is eclectic as expected and in the back is the open kitchen.

The menu board:

So what did I have? I went with the enchiladas; one beef and one cheese. The beef was shredded which is very important to me. The sauce is flavorful with a background flavor of dried peppers, not spicy but just right. The problem is that they did not put enough on top of them. Close examination had burnt edges which is fine in New Haven but not for enchiladas. A extra ounce of sauce would have changed everything. That said, I could not taste any burnt flavor and they were very good.

I did talk to the owners, who were hanging up a framed recent award that they won. Mentioning Roadfood and Diners,Drive-ins & Dives, they wholeheartedly chimed in that they were a dive.

Which leads me to Hut's. There has been much mentioned about this place and I know there are some fans here. It is a great little spot and the compliments are justified. Is it among the best burgers?  It sure was good enough for me...

I had a very attentive waiter and once again brought up DD&D. You would figure that they should have been on by now. The truth is that they do not want to bother with it as Guy would just be a pain in the bun during their busy times in such a small kitchen. They keep calling and trying to get them on the show. Hut's says "No."

This their motto:

I had the Hut Burger (#7) Here is a great perspective shot of it with bacon & 1000 dressing. The peppered onion rings are really as big as they appear. The one thing I did not do is go for my burger tri-fecta. I did not have a chocolate milkshake and opted for the tea.

I am close to Louis Mueller's original place, so that will be a required upcoming post.

mark

post edited by doggydaddy - 2009/06/08 10:02:22
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 09:59:24 (permalink)
    Dogdaddy, welcome to Texas. As we say, you may not have been born here but, you got here as soon as you could.
    As a Dallas resident with a son (born in Texas) living in Austin, I visit Austin frequently.

Re: The Chinatown Center. Look for a restaurant called, First Chinese BBQ. It's part of a small family owned chain out of Dallas. The food is, incredible! www.firstchinesebbq.com

Go to Art'z Rib House for incredible smoked, country style pork ribs, music and true, "Keep Austin Weird" vibe.

The best donuts in Texas are just a few miles North of Austin off I35. Roundrock Donuts. Ask anyone in Austin about them. There're also Bushie's favorite.

And of course, Louie Mueller's BBQ in Taylor. You'll be eating a lot of BBQ around Austin but, Louie Mueller's is, (arguably) the best! Have  the (moist) brisket, sausages and huge beef ribs.

Have fun living in Austin. The only people who don't are, dead.

And, as they say there, "keep Austin weird"!

post edited by Twinwillow - 2009/06/06 10:02:18
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 899
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 10:36:30 (permalink)
    doggydaddy
    Bob: This is for you...

Huh, I'd've never pegged Bob as a Napalm Death fan, but there may be a closet metalhead lurking under that RF aura!

Doggydaddy, I was very happy to break bread only once with you at Pepe's, the mainstage of all CT apizza, and I'm sure we'll see you again.  Amy hasn't met you yet, so we definitely be coming to visit at some point.  Actually, living so close to the epicenter of Texas BBQ, you're going to get visitors whether you want them or not!    Chris
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 10:57:18 (permalink)
    Chris, you sure got that one wrong! I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Godzilla fan. Note the presence of the "Big G" himself, along with Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah. Believe me, I am no metalhead!
    doggydaddy
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 11:51:26 (permalink)

Twinwillow
    : You have hit quite a few nails here.  I just came from shopping at the Chinatown Center. First Chinese BBQ was the first place I really ate at after moving day. It is the place I was talking about at the end of my first post. It is the real deal. There is at least one dish no American would put in their mouth: pork tongue for instance. Me? I'll eat anything on that menu.

I drove by Art'z when I was on Barton Springs Rd., heading to Taco X-press. Both places are close. It certainly gave off the look from the outside. I believe it was a motel that was transformed into a restaurant. I think Taco X-press used to be a garden nursery.
    I am no too far south of Round Rock, so I will check out the donut shop on the way to Louis Muellers.

I do have one question. Does anyone know the name of the restaurant that has the sign 'Sorry, We're Open' on their front door?  That seems like a destination.

===Have fun living in Austin. The only people who don't are, dead.

And, as they say there, "keep Austin weird"! ===

I'm just the man to do it.... Their motto is actually what brought me here.
    And yes, I do feel more alive and where I belong here.

mark
    post edited by doggydaddy - 2009/06/06 12:10:58
    doggydaddy
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 12:08:20 (permalink)
    ayersian

Huh, I'd've never pegged Bob as a Napalm Death fan, but there may be a closet metalhead lurking under that RF aura!

Doggydaddy, I was very happy to break bread only once with you at Pepe's, the mainstage of all CT apizza, and I'm sure we'll see you again.  Amy hasn't met you yet, so we definitely be coming to visit at some point.  Actually, living so close to the epicenter of Texas BBQ, you're going to get visitors whether you want them or not!    Chris

Thanks Chris,

I felt is was important and great to meet you. The thing is, I bet there were many time in CT that we were only miles away. I am also betting that you may be one of the few Roadfooders who I may see out here. You and Amy get around.  I hope to see  some folks here.
    Next to Hut's, they own a pizza restaurant. I'm sorry, but I am jaded and I wasn't impressed with the menu. There is one place boasting they use a coal burning oven.

As for that poster. It does go beyond Godzilla. If you read the bottom, they were having wrestling matches from Anarchy Championship Wrestling. To me, wrestling and Godzilla movies are the same. It has one big, good guy wrasslin' a bigger bad guy.  According to the script,we all know who will win.

mark

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 12:50:05 (permalink)
    Dogdaddy, typical Austin: My son lived near a "food truck" that had a great sign out front. 
      "Munchies. When you got them, we've got them"
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 13:04:03 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

doggydaddy

It's official, I am now a Texan.

No. You may be a Texas resident, but you'll never be a Texan. I have a daughter who has lived in Texas since she was three months old, but she's never been allowed to forget that she is not a Texan. 

Michael, of my two kids, only my son has the right to display the bumper sticker, "Born in Texas".
    I'm here since 1963 and I hate when people still ask me where I'm from after they detect my NY accent.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/06 16:25:20 (permalink)
    Not born In Texas? Like Twin said... just tell us "born in Texas folks"  that you got here as soon as you could... and you'll be fine. Oh, and welcome to Texas Doggy!!! :~)
    Joe
    post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2009/06/06 16:37:27
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/09 21:42:05 (permalink)
    Mark, I thought that you might like to see what hangs on my living room wall....
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/09 21:46:37 (permalink)
    .... and this will hang on the opposite wall just as soon as I can dig up a hammer and a nail.
    doggydaddy
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/16 11:36:14 (permalink)

Bob,

That's all you have? Slacker...

mark
    doggydaddy
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/16 12:30:18 (permalink)

I have had a fun week and I am checking out the town and becoming familiar with it all.
    I figure that I will add a little bit more and in the future, my reports will be more specific....maybe.
    I'll start with Threadgill's a place that I could not avoid and that is a good thing. It is fairly close so if I am hungry, I can definitely fix that problem.

I needed to compare their chicken fried steak with Hoover's. I was disappointed that it wasn't as big as my head as the reviews seem to mention. It is as large as my big mouth....And that is more than enough.
     I also had steamed broccoli and red beans and rice.

A local poll rated Threadgill's as best for vegetables, but I liked Hoover's chicken fry better.

You can sit among the band on stage.

Going up to Lake Travis, I came upon Smokey J's. There were many cars in the lot and three windows working. A good sign. Their menu is very simple. No plates. You can sit in a covered area with picnic tables.

I had the sliced brisket, with potato salad and ice tea. $5 well spent.

Right next to them is dessert and the best use of a Airstream that I have seen in a while. I think of billyboy as I post these...

I bought a chocolate with buttercream with a whip cream injection (lousy photo, sorry) and a carrot cake.

Between the cupcakes and the bbq was a sub shop. Everything is bigger out here.

Twinwillow mentioned First Chinese BBQ. It is right up the street and parts of the menu would test many palates.
    www.firstchinesebbq.com
    This is squid and octopus with Chinese vegetables. Yummy.

I will throw in these cool bikes that were here for the Republic of Texas motorcycle rally.

Searching the web, you can have one for $42,000.

mark

post edited by doggydaddy - 2009/06/16 12:40:08
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 501
    Re:Looks like I got here just in time 2009/06/16 12:38:22 (permalink)
    Mark,

Those are some nice looking pictures.  Was there anything good at the sub shop or just a large sign?  I have to admit that the chicken-fried steak looks pretty good and is certainly large enough for a meal or two.

Rob
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1