Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe

Author
angielynnscott
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
2005/06/03 09:26:12 (permalink)

Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe

Here in Kansas City we have a restaurant called Mugs Up. It serves the best hamburgers that are loose meat. Does anyone have that receipe

28 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/06/03 09:46:10 (permalink)
    I Googled this one.
    http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/80984.asp
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/06/03 14:30:32 (permalink)
    Also found this article. Sounds like the owner isn't giving up the recipe.
    http://www.pitch.com/issues/2005-02-24/dining/mouth.html
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/06/03 15:00:56 (permalink)
    there's also this from not long ago.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6998
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/06/04 09:34:46 (permalink)
    Ive always thought a hamburger was a formed meat patty and loosemeat as well.... loose meat, ground meat browned like for chilli or sloppyjoes but then Ive never had or even seen a loosemeat sandwich other than on the tv show with roseann....
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/06/04 09:56:56 (permalink)
    We have a loose meat sandwich joint here in town. I don’t think they actually season the meat other than a bit of salt as they put it on the bun. They just cook the meat in a big steamer table of some sort. Neat little joint, seats about 12-14 people? They also have great malts.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/06/04 11:56:13 (permalink)
    I asked the same here one time and got this reply from Lleechef----its good!!!!

Tiki,

When I asked the gals in Homer, Nebraska how they made it, the recipe was very vague. But here it is, scaled down:

2 C water
    3/4 C ketchup
    2 T chili powder
    1 onion, finely diced
    2 lb. ground beef
    2 T mustard
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine the water, ketchup, chili powder and onion and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the ground beef and mustard, salt and pepper and cook until beef is crumbly and cooked.

This is served on a really SOFT hamburger bun with dill pickle chips out of the jar and slices of American cheese on the "Tavern". It's a cross between a "loosemeat" which has no sauce and a "sloppy Joe" which is loaded with sauce.
    salt and pepper to taste

Hope this does it for ya!
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/06/05 09:54:24 (permalink)
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6998 http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6404 not sure if I did this right, hope so...
    angielynnscott
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/06/06 09:01:36 (permalink)
    Hi I really enjoyed the article, if I were the owner I would not give it up. I'm telling you they are the greatest. I have always said that one secret to good food is to create a craving and I am craving a zip burger now even for breakfast.[:D
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

Also found this article. Sounds like the owner isn't giving up the recipe.
    http://www.pitch.com/issues/2005-02-24/dining/mouth.html
    marcbla
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/07/26 16:48:39 (permalink)
    eastern penna we call them bar-b-que
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/07/26 16:55:13 (permalink)
    I believe a bar-b-que would have some sort of bbq sauce. A loose meat or maid-rite doesn't have sauce as far as I know. Here is a nice photo of one.

http://www.maidrite.com/
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/07/26 17:26:28 (permalink)
    It is merely an opinion only. I had a contractor take me to lunch at a loose meat restaurant in Rock Island. I found it messy and with vey little taste. Please be aware that this was my opinon only and I do not want to offend fans of this recipe.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/07/26 17:27:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

I believe a bar-b-que would have some sort of bbq sauce. A loose meat or maid-rite doesn't have sauce as far as I know. Here is a nice photo of one.

Wow...this is a racket I need to get in on. Did you surf around their web site at all? You can order a Maid-Rite, delivered right to your door. http://www.maidrite.com/send_maid-rite.html For only about $75, you can have a dozen maid-rites delivered to you, pre-frozen with pickles and onions. ***$75*** a dozen? Wow. I realize that a chunk fo that gets eaten up in shipping costs, but do folks realize that they can buy ground chuck locally for about $2.50/lb? For about five bucks (if you want about a dozen), you can have the same maid-rite taste after about 3 minutes browning some ground beef on your stove -- no need to wait 2 days for the UPS Man, either.

I guess the rolls could be a fortune, though....
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/07/30 22:50:49 (permalink)
    My family is from the Quad (used to be the Quint) Cities and my Dad has told me the secret to a Maidrite is a little bit of Coke fountain syrup in the browning process, how much no one knows.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/07/31 00:29:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

It is merely an opinion only. I had a contractor take me to lunch at a loose meat restaurant in Rock Island. I found it messy and with vey little taste. Please be aware that this was my opinon only and I do not want to offend fans of this recipe.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    My mother one time told me she didn't like blackend fish (it turns out she had tried some, once, at a Denny's in Michigan, or some such place) ...

Did you have a loose hamburger at a place with credentials in the category?
    marcbla
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/08/23 21:48:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

Yes, I would agree... but ask anybody in n.e. pennsylvania what a hamburger bar b que is and they will tell you it's loose meat with the same ingredients used in the loose meat recipies i've read on this subject.
    deedle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/10/02 02:07:51 (permalink)
    i made maidrites for a bday party. the secret was the cola syrup. i bought it at walgreens, its for simple nausea. so its where the mylanta and others are at. i think it was 10 lbs of burger, and half an onion ground fine (i did that to hide them from my sister). i cooked it in a large pot and just kept draining off the grease.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/10/02 04:14:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by deedle

i made maidrites for a bday party. the secret was the cola syrup. i bought it at walgreens, its for simple nausea. so its where the mylanta and others are at. i think it was 10 lbs of burger, and half an onion ground fine (i did that to hide them from my sister). i cooked it in a large pot and just kept draining off the grease.
    Your big sister or your little sister?
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/10/28 14:33:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by angielynnscott

Here in Kansas City we have a restaurant called Mugs Up. It serves the best hamburgers that are loose meat. Does anyone have that receipe
    You are so lucky to hae a Mugs Up. We use to have one here in Huntsville, AL, about 30 yrs. ago. I loved it. The hamburgers were the best. I tell people about it, and most of them can't remember it. They think I am crazy when I say that the hamburgers were loose meat.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/11/04 09:04:02 (permalink)

Check out Redgreene's recipe from aforementioned thread here on Roadfood.com. It is fabulous

Copper
    johns72604
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/11/04 09:24:31 (permalink)
    i believe that many recipes include beer, and then you cook them in a double boiler.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/11/06 10:38:24 (permalink)
    This thread from long ago surfaced over on another board.
    http://www.chowhound.com/midwest/boards/midwest/messages/4465.html
    Poster Judy in that thread was a cook for Nuway, and she says Organ Meat was a part of the scheme-
    " No spices are added to a nu-way burger it is cooked in a rectangular grill that is shallow at the top and deep at the bottom. It has a burner at both ends but the rear burner is only on when adding more ground beef. What makes a nu-way taste different is the organ meat they add when it is ground. That is why the grease, or what the regulars refered to as juice is yellow in color. To make one you would bring some meat up to the top of the grill and either press some of the grease out or not depending on the customer-take your bun directly from the plastic wrap on a cart (not steamed) add mustard, ground onion (very fine, almost juicy) and two pickles then flip the meat onto the bun and cut in half. I was a cook at nu-way for six years and did this many times. Also the meat packing company Manning-Clampit who also provided the chili bricks for nu-ways chili was owned by the same people."
    ....so there you have it, ORGAN MEAT IS THE SECRET.
    urp.

Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2005/11/06 23:56:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

This thread from long ago surfaced over on another board.
    http://www.chowhound.com/midwest/boards/midwest/messages/4465.html
    Poster Judy in that thread was a cook for Nuway, and she says Organ Meat was a part of the scheme-
    " No spices are added to a nu-way burger it is cooked in a rectangular grill that is shallow at the top and deep at the bottom. It has a burner at both ends but the rear burner is only on when adding more ground beef. What makes a nu-way taste different is the organ meat they add when it is ground. That is why the grease, or what the regulars refered to as juice is yellow in color. To make one you would bring some meat up to the top of the grill and either press some of the grease out or not depending on the customer-take your bun directly from the plastic wrap on a cart (not steamed) add mustard, ground onion (very fine, almost juicy) and two pickles then flip the meat onto the bun and cut in half. I was a cook at nu-way for six years and did this many times. Also the meat packing company Manning-Clampit who also provided the chili bricks for nu-ways chili was owned by the same people."
    ....so there you have it, ORGAN MEAT IS THE SECRET.
    urp.

That would explain the fundamental difference between a Maid-Rite and a NuWay, then.

(True confessions time: Despite my anthropological research on this sandwich, I don't really like either MaidRites or NuWays . . . in fact, I would never order this sandwich out. It's strictly home food for me.)
    Tech99
    Junior Burger
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2009/06/07 22:16:21 (permalink)
    Everyone in Independence has long talked about the recipe being a well-kept secret. I've finally figured the Zip Burger out. My family has taken me to Mugs Up since I was a little kid and I crave them to this day. I used to try and make them at home from the recipes here, but nothing was quite right. Now I live in New York and work as a chef.

The thing that always bothered me about the recipes here was that the texture was NEVER the same. The Zip Burger is unique because the meat isn't REALLY loose. It is cooked loose, but holds together much better than boiled hamburger should. My grandmother used to say that she thought there was soybean in the mixture. My problem has always been how one would integrate soy into the burger without it showing. I've figured it out, but out of loyalty to the dying breed of local restaurant and love for the local mystery I refuse to post everything here. This is what I'll say....grandma was definitely right about the soybean...but you need to start thinking about what kind of soybean preparation would seemlessly bind with meat and what your food processor has done for you lately....

Let me tell you, I knew before even tasting it that I'd finally hit gold. I was jumping up and down in the kitchen.

....now I just have to figure out the root beer....
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2009/06/27 10:37:16 (permalink)
    Angielynnscott - Believe it or not, we used to have a restaurant here in Huntsville, AL, that was called Mugs Up and they too served loose meat hamburger. The restaurant (actually just a walk up) has been gone for a long time but I remember how good the hamburgers were. They also served some great rootbeer. I wonder if there is a connection to the two?
    microphone
    Junior Burger
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2010/04/20 00:20:26 (permalink)
    Because of your reluctance to divulge the recipe, especially while being so excited that you'd "hit gold", I'm a bit doubtful that you have indeed figured it out... 
    I merely went to the surviving Mugs Up that's not too far from my house and after enjoying an authentic Zip Burger and fries, purchased a packet of their seasoning which came complete with instructions.  I bought one medium yellow onion and chopped it according to the size they use, used a good quality fresh bun and mustard with a few slices of dill pickle and cooked it up according to the directions.  I even selected the appropriate "surrogate" french fry to eat with it and deep-fried it accordingly.  It came out near-perfect.  The only thing different was that I thought that the amount of seasoning mix they listed was just a bit on the light side from what the ones at the restaurant are, and most importantly, the texture was not quite dead on.  The colour of the meat was also just a bit lighter brown.  I used a 93% lean ground beef from the grocer.  I'm wondering if they use a bit less lean beef not only for cost effectiveness, but also maybe the extra bit of grease that's not drained off might hold the beef together more uniformly.
    That also could be I guess the soybean you mentioned.  However, I should think that soy would obviously affect the overall taste of the seasoning mix.  There are many different forms of soy though.  Soy sauce, soy beans, soybean oil, etc.  I would think that it would matter greatly also if the soy was added to the seasoning mix of directly to the beef whilst boiling...
    sbeebe
    Junior Burger
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2010/09/16 21:11:03 (permalink)
    I am craving a Zip Burger from Mugs Up right now!!  I'm in Austin with leftover hamburger and keep thinking of one of my favorite places to eat in Independence, Missouri...nay, the WORLD!  Thought I'd see if the I-net had anything on their receipe.  Just a starting point it seems.  Can't wait until Thanksgiving when I go home again!
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2010/09/16 23:16:55 (permalink)
    This is truly comfort food.  I make mine in a slow cooker with ground chuck, real beef stock, Chef Paul's Meat Magic, Worcestershire sauce, and a little vinegar.  Serve it up on burger buns with pickles, mustard, and onions.  Messy, comforting, and lots of flavor.  Great with a Dr. Depper and bbq potato chips.  Gosh, I may just have to do it this weekend.
    Gumbo191
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Loose Meat Hamburger Receipe 2010/09/17 14:15:01 (permalink)
    There are any number of preperation methods depending on your taste. My favorite loose meat burgers come from Piggy Park in Thomaston Ga. Here the meat is cooked slowly and chopped fine. The meat gets better after being steamed for while and before serving steam your buns on top of the meat. Piggy Park tops theirs with a bit of shredded lettuce (a small amount) and a splash of a vinegar based bbq style sauce and a pickle. Anytime I am withing 100 miles I have to stop by for their burgers, hand cut fries, and thick shakes. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1