Loosemeat...?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
the Big Ferret
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/03/28 14:59:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki
Well--thats convinced me!!--anytime someone named "The Big Ferret" likes a sandwich enough to wear the tee shirt---then i HAVE to eat one of these!--have to check for the Taylors locations now!

Thanks Tiki! Here's the Taylor's site: http://www.maidrite.com/
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/03/28 15:03:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyTodd

Here in Wichita, we've had our Nu-Ways for 75 years apparently. Here's confirmation from:
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/entertainment/11101401.htm

quote:

It's a new Nu-Way

For the first time in more than a decade, there's a new Nu-Way Sandwich Shop in Wichita. Neal Stong, who owns the five existing Nu-Ways, opened his sixth this week at 6524 E. 37th St. North. The restaurant with the famous loose-meat sandwiches has all of the other popular menu items, like onion rings, chili and root beer floats. Stong plans a grand opening with special promotions on March 29. Nu-Way's hours are 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. The restaurant's original store at 1416 W. Douglas will celebrate its 75th anniversary on July 4.

For years I assumed these wonderful sandwiches were unique to Wichita, until I heard Roseanne mention them.

Everyone I know has tried to recreate them at home, but they're never quite the same. I believe the ingredients are simply boiled ground beef, diced onions, mustard and pickle (and you can add cheese). And I've come pretty close to getting just the right flavor by adding a bit of garlic salt to the meat. I first tried this after noticing cases of garlic salt behind the counter during one visit to the restaurant, though it could also have had something to do with their garlic salad

Wow, thanks JT. I was beginning to doubt my own memories. Now I'm wondering whether there were only NuWay's on the Kansas side of the KC area. Hmmm. I never knew they came from Wichita. Cool.
Bill
I still think they have black pepper in them. Maybe?
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/03/28 15:47:40 (permalink)
We had Nu - Ways on the Missouri side of Kansas City. A very busy one on Troost between 63rd St. and Meyer Blvd. and if I remember correctly maybe one on 40 Highway. There was a Nu - Way kiosk in the food court at the Ward Parkway Shopping Center as recently as the '90s. My parents wanted to open one in North Kansas City in the '50s, but didn't want to borrow the $1000 franchising fee. My brother and I were supremely sad that they didn't do it.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/03/28 15:49:31 (permalink)
We have a place here called "Steamers" that sells loosemeat. I learned a valuable lesson my first time there...once you pick the sandwich up you don't put it down. I finished eating mine with a fork.
poornorman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/03/29 16:10:51 (permalink)
Last time I checked there was a Maid Rite in LaSalle-Peru, IL-- about an hour away from Chicago. It's tucked away in a mall, so the atmosphere is not the greatest, but the loose meat sandwich is good--and within reasonable range of you Chi-town hustlers. If they're still open for business...
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/07/30 20:00:25 (permalink)
I stopped at the Maid-Rite in Greenville, OH last week. They've been open since 1934. There's certainly no other place like it in Ohio but my hunch is that it may have been spawned by the maid-rites in Iowa since they are 10 years or so older. But, this place is a true gem. As a kid only the drive-thru wall was covered in gum, now, the entire building is covered in gum. Place is always busy. Greenville is a neat midwest town with lots of roadfood choices.
johns72604
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 11:45:32 (permalink)
I have only been to the one in Greenville Ohio, and must say that their sandwiches are unreal, but it is clealy part of not chain, but the sandwich sounds almost exactly like the maid-rites of Iowa, so i suppose it has to be inspired by the chain.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 12:01:25 (permalink)
Gonna head up to the Piqua MaidRite (as well as stops at Kewpee in LIma and Crabills in Urbana) next week, will report back
johns72604
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 12:13:20 (permalink)
Forget about piqua, make your way to Greenville. You will not be disapointed.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 13:27:46 (permalink)
Greenville is a lot further "out" from the freeways and such, unfortunately, and I am hoping to hit three different places in one long evening, but maybe next time?
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 13:33:58 (permalink)
I'd love to know where the Maid-Rite in Piqua is located. Never knew of one there.
TJ, sometime take a drive to Greenville, it's a very nice drive on 127 and Greenville is a heckuva town, too.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 15:41:01 (permalink)
The Piqua location is listed on the new locations page

http://www.maid-rite.com/newlocations/newlocations.shtml
RedGreene
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 16:12:28 (permalink)
TJ...you'll have to let us know what you think of the Kewpee. My personal favorite is the store on Allentown Road but they're all good.

Red
RedGreene
Junior Burger
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 16:35:41 (permalink)
You probably already know this but here are the 3 Kewpee locations;

2111 Allentown Rd.

1350 Bellefontaine Ave.

111 N. Elizabeth(downtown)

The easiest store to get to would be the location on Bellefontaine Ave. as it is right off of interstate 75.

If you keep heading North about 30 miles you could make a stop in Findlay and try out Wilson hamburgers. A lot like Kewpee and almost as famous. While in Findlay a stop at Dietsch Brothers Ice Cream Parlor would make it well worth the extra 30 miles. They make their own ice cream and chocolates.

http://www.dietschbros.com/
topferment
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 16:42:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyTodd

Here in Wichita, we've had our Nu-Ways for 75 years apparently. Here's confirmation from:
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/entertainment/11101401.htm

quote:

It's a new Nu-Way

For the first time in more than a decade, there's a new Nu-Way Sandwich Shop in Wichita. Neal Stong, who owns the five existing Nu-Ways, opened his sixth this week at 6524 E. 37th St. North. The restaurant with the famous loose-meat sandwiches has all of the other popular menu items, like onion rings, chili and root beer floats. Stong plans a grand opening with special promotions on March 29. Nu-Way's hours are 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. The restaurant's original store at 1416 W. Douglas will celebrate its 75th anniversary on July 4.

For years I assumed these wonderful sandwiches were unique to Wichita, until I heard Roseanne mention them.

Everyone I know has tried to recreate them at home, but they're never quite the same. I believe the ingredients are simply boiled ground beef, diced onions, mustard and pickle (and you can add cheese). And I've come pretty close to getting just the right flavor by adding a bit of garlic salt to the meat. I first tried this after noticing cases of garlic salt behind the counter during one visit to the restaurant, though it could also have had something to do with their garlic salad

JeffreyTodd, you can find my review of Wichita's original Nu-Way here: [url][/url] www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1742

Also, the June/July '03 edition of Saveur magazine has an article on Iowa summer foods which includes a recipe for loosemeats sandwiches.
I have made their version and it is virtually identical to Nu-Way's sandwich.

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 18:06:43 (permalink)
I don't like "Sloppy Joe's" but this thing looks like it has possibilities. I have to try making a version of this.

Thinking out loud about how to proceed:

The Roadfood review mentioned very concentrated beef flavor. I suspect this comes from a little beef soup base added to the meat. "Boiled" keeps coming up in the posts about this item. Boiled will not do, a long slow simmer after being browned with onion and a minced clove of garlic seems in order. I would simmer covered for a few hours as one would do with chili.

In my version I would omit the pickle and possibly replace it with some sliced black olives. Since I am going to all this bother, I will not use hamburger rolls. Large hard rolls seem in order here or small rounds of Italian bread hollowed out and filled with the meat mixture. I think I would then top it all off with sharp shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon and broil open faced briefly to toast the bread and set the cheese and bacon.

Well, that's my thinking out loud version of how I would approach this thing. I would really like to see your thinking out loud approach. I am always eager to learn from others.
RedGreene
Junior Burger
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/02 18:14:41 (permalink)
topferment...do you happen to have that recipe? If so, could you post it?

Thanks, Red
Caramel Copper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/03 13:23:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

Well, that's my thinking out loud version of how I would approach this thing. I would really like to see your thinking out loud approach. I am always eager to learn from others.

I love these forums! Thanks Roadhouse!

Copper
topferment
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/03 17:04:21 (permalink)
RedGreene, here's Saveur's recipe:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
salt & freshly ground pepper

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef, and cook, breaking up meat with the back of a spoon, until meat begins to fry, 12-15 minutes. Drain meat well, then return it to the skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken stock, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed and meat is just browned, 15-20 minutes. Makes 8 sandwiches.

That's it, just spoon or scoop meat onto hamburger buns and top with diced onion, pickle and mustard. I have used low sodium canned beef stock and have had very good results. I also usually add a slice of american cheese and wrap the sandwich in a napkin which helps with spillage.

Hope you like them.
Rt66Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/03 22:19:24 (permalink)
Until recently, I had only heard of loose meat sandwiches as a fan of the Roseanne show, but recently, I moved about 35 miles from Quincy, Il, which is the birthplace of the Maid-Rite, and I have been hooked since. Nothing quite like a couple of Cheese-Rites with Onion Rings, a chocolate malt. Lately, I have been driving every couple of weeks just to eat at Maid-Rite.
RedGreene
Junior Burger
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/04 11:18:57 (permalink)
Thanks for the recipe topferment. I have one that I will post later... which is very close to the real thing, imo.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/04 12:28:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by poornorman

Last time I checked there was a Maid Rite in LaSalle-Peru, IL-- about an hour away from Chicago. It's tucked away in a mall, so the atmosphere is not the greatest, but the loose meat sandwich is good--and within reasonable range of you Chi-town hustlers. If they're still open for business...

There are 2 Maid Rites in Peoria, Il. One is on University in the Metro Center and the other is on West War Memorial near Willow Knolls Rd. The one on University opens early and serves breakfast.
Caramel Copper
Hamburger
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/04 12:47:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RedGreene

Thanks for the recipe topferment. I have one that I will post later... which is very close to the real thing, imo.

Copper
RedGreene
Junior Burger
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/04 13:38:46 (permalink)
OK, here's the story from a recipe site.

The loosemeat was created in 1924 at Ye Old Tavern-now Gus' Family Restaurant on 14th and Jackson St. in Sioux City, Iowa. Nowadays you will find the original sandwich served at Bob's Drive Inn on Hwy 75, LeMars, Iowa just a mile or so out of Sioux City, at The Tastee Inn and Out, on Gordon Drive and at Miles Inn on Leech Ave. among others.

I learned to make Grandma Angie's version while cooking at her cafes/diners/taverns in Sioux City, Iowa when I came to spend summers with her from 1959-1968. Her version is the best (IMHO) and only deviates from the original recipe a tad. If you see a recipe for loosemeats that contains tomato juice-run! A loosemeat is a sloppy joe without the slop-so stay away from anything tomato-ey please!

These little sandwiches are great for football parties, slumber parties, with a cold beer on a sunny summer day, or just anytime you want a real taste of Americana cooking that takes just a few minutes with very little cleanup. These are typical Iowa tavern fare.

I loved these sandwiches so much when I was a kid that one day I ran into my Grandma Ang's tavern and asked for a "tavern" and they came served with one of those white thin sheets of paper under them-well I ate my sandwich half way gone before I realized I was eating the paper too:-) Enjoy!

1 lb of real good ground chuck or ground beef round or ground sirloin

1 tablespoon fat like lard or Crisco (if meat is round or sirloin)

2 teaspoons salt, just enough to lightly cover bottom of your skillet(this seems like a lot of salt but trust me on this)

1 onion, chopped fine

1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard

1 tablespoon vinegar

1 tablespoon sugar
water, to cover
salt and pepper, to taste

1) Get out a cast iron skillet-they are the best for loosemeats-or other kind if you have no iron skillet.

2) Melt fat over medium heat and lightly salt bottom of skillet.

3) Break ground beef up in skillet and start crumbling it with the back of a wooden spoon-this is very important-the meat must end up being cooked up into small crumbles.

4) Add chopped onion while browning meat.

5) Keep working with the back of spoon to break up meat.

6) When meat is browned, drain off any fat and return meat to skillet.

7) Add mustard, vinegar, sugar, and just enough water to barely cover meat in the pan.

8) Cook, at a simmer, till water is all cooked out-between 15-20 minutes.

9) Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

10) Heat your hamburger buns-they're traditionally steamed for loosemeats-I like mine toasted lightly-do it the way you like it.

11) When buns are warm, put yellow mustard on them and add some dill pickle slices-I put on lots!

12) *If you start changing this recipe and using things like olive oil for the fat and dijon or honey mustard for the yellow mustard, you will not get the traditional yummy taste of a loosemeat sandwich.

13) Likewise, don't add any liquid smoke or worcestershire sauce.

14) Make them just like this the first time so you can sample the simplicity of this famous Midwestern treat.

15) If you want to start making changes after that by all means do so but I'd like you to taste the original recipe at least once.
Caramel Copper
Hamburger
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/04 13:47:56 (permalink)
You are The Bomb.

Much Appreciated, this is what I been searchin for. [:x]
Copper
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/04 20:09:49 (permalink)
There's a thread somewhere on here about "lubi's" a n.e.florida version of loosemeat in a torpedo roll, premade and kept in a steamtable with various incarnations available upon ordering.
RedGreene
Junior Burger
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/05 17:07:33 (permalink)
Caramel Copper...did you have a chance to try the recipe?
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/05 17:27:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Caramel Copper

quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

I love these forums! Thanks Roadhouse!

Copper

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/08 00:01:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by johns72604

Forget about piqua, make your way to Greenville. You will not be disapointed.

I am going to enter much more detailed info in another thread, but....yep, you were right.

I took a mini roadtrip from Cincinnati to Piqua then Greenville (as it was only 20 miles to the west, so the map said) and then onto Lima. I had intended to head to Urbana originally, but Crabill's isn't open on Sunday, so Greenville was my substitute stop.

And what a substitute it was! Easily the highlight of my trip :-) Thank you for insisting I go there :-)
Farmallcub
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: Loosemeat...? 2005/08/08 02:04:30 (permalink)
I saw this in my hometown paper. (Rockford IL) The loss of a great loosemeat.
http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050720/BUSINESS06/507200321&SearchID=7321663625121
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1