Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Loosemeat...?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 112
johns72604

• Total Posts: 74
RE: Loosemeat...? Mon, 08/8/05 12:55 PM (permalink)
TJ,

I am glad that you made your way out to Greenville, It really is something to write home about. I just ate lunch, and now i am getting hungry for some maid-rites.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
    RE: Loosemeat...? Mon, 08/8/05 7:27 PM (permalink)
    RG,

Thanks for the very detailed recipe. I don't know about the vinegar and Crisco, but I will try it as written as it is presented as the "original recipe." Looks interesting though and I can't wait to try it. Thank you.

RedGreene

• Total Posts: 37
      RE: Loosemeat...? Thu, 08/11/05 8:53 AM (permalink)
      TJ Jackson...did you post your review of your road trip yet? Looking forward to it.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4480
        RE: Loosemeat...? Thu, 08/11/05 11:35 AM (permalink)

backfrmIraq

• Total Posts: 73
          RE: Loosemeat...? Tue, 08/16/05 2:03 PM (permalink)
          never had a loose meat, but our Logitics Supply officer was from Iowa and she always raved about Maid-Rites....she said the first thing she was doing when we got back to the states was visit her parents in IA and go get a Maid-Rite....my Warrent Officer from Tacoma missed his grilled salmon on a cedar(?) plank, but that's another category/thread..recipes sound like they're worth a try....

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
            RE: Loosemeat...? Tue, 08/16/05 2:55 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by backfrmIraq

never had a loose meat, but our Logitics Supply officer was from Iowa and she always raved about Maid-Rites....she said the first thing she was doing when we got back to the states was visit her parents in IA and go get a Maid-Rite....my Warrent Officer from Tacoma missed his grilled salmon on a cedar(?) plank, but that's another category/thread..recipes sound like they're worth a try....
            Welcome Back and thank you

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
              RE: Loosemeat...? Tue, 08/16/05 4:02 PM (permalink)
              When I was growing up there used to be a department store in Cincinnati that was called Shillito's. In the coffee shop they served a sandwich called the "Seven Hills" that sounds like loosemeat. It was very popular; so much so that people occasionally write into the newspaper requesting the recipe. It was served on a cheddar cheese bun. At a website on the old Shillito store, I found this description and recipe:

Questions about the John Shillito Co.

SEVEN HILL's Bar-B-Q

1) At the Shillito's store in downtown Cincinnati, they had a coffee shop that served a sandwich called the "Seven Hills". It was a barbeque sandwich that was delicious. They also used to sell the powder that you could add to ground beef and make them at home. I would really like to find out how to get some of that powder so I can make these sandwiches for my family. They all love them! The new Lazarus store doesn't have a coffee shop so this sandwich has disappeared. I’m sure it the powder was the spices that they used to make the “Seven Hills barbeque”. I don't know what the name of the powder was . . . I just know that if you added it to ground beef you had the "Seven Hills" barbeque sandwich that they served at the Copper Kettle (I think that was the name of the coffee shop on the first floor). If I could find out the name of the company that sold it, I could contact them, but I don't know who made it. I really appreciate your help.

Answers about the John Shillito Co.

After contacting the Lazarus Department store, I could not find a source of the packet of "spice" that you could buy to made the Seven Hills Bar-B-Q. The following recipe came from a listener of the local radio "Marilyn Harris" show.

Seven Hills Bar-B-Q sandwich

2 1/2 # Ground Beef - Brown & drain
              then add the following:

1/2 C. Onion
              1/4 C. Green Pepper
              1 TBSP Dry Mustard
              1 TBSP Cider Vinegar
              1 1/2 C. Ketchup
              2 TBSP Sugar
              Salt & Pepper to taste.

Cook over low heat for 30 minutes. Serve on CHEDDAR CHEESE BUNS (they said that the buns are what made the difference).

I hope when you make this Bar-B-Q sandwich, I hope it brings back fond memories of Cincinnati.

DWadle

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: Loosemeat...? Sat, 08/20/05 10:38 AM (permalink)
                I see people are wondering where there are Maid-Rites outside of Iowa. In Illinois, besides the ones mentioned in Peoria and LaSalle-Peru, there were a couple of Maid-Rites in Rockford a few years ago when I was there. In Wisconsin there is a Maid-Rite in Madison near the West Towne Mall. I understand there are Maid-Rites in Missouri in Lexington and St. Joseph. What's odd is that a Maid-Rite franchise can't seem to make it in Iowa City. There was a new one that opened in Coralville in 2004 and closed in a few months. What I've noticed is that there seems to be a slight difference in the taste of Maid-Rites depending on the Maid-Rite you eat at. Maid-Rites I would recommend are in Arnolds Park, Marion and Newton.

DWadle

• Total Posts: 2
                  RE: Loosemeat...? Sat, 08/20/05 10:50 AM (permalink)
                  One item I should have mentioned is that Taylor's Maid-Rite in Marshalltown has a web-site where you can buy frozen Maid-Rites to prepare at home. They'll ship them anywhere in the country. However they are kind of pricey. If I remember right it starts out around $5 per sandwich for a dozen but becomes cheaper the more you have shipped. However it's cheaper than driving to Iowa for one. I don't know how these compare in taste to what you would get walking into a Maid-Rite.

SWOhioGuy

• Total Posts: 58
                    RE: Loosemeat...? Wed, 08/31/05 3:44 PM (permalink)
                    Hi all (this is my first post on ROADFOOD).

Anyway, my first encounter with loose meat burgers was in downtown Colorado Springs, 1998 or so. The Crooked Grill has been there for decades - a great little place, and they too call their sandwiches loose meat hamburgers. As I recall, nothing but a counter surrounding the grill, which reminded me of the Apple Pan, the West LA classic.

The thing to get was one or two loose meat burgers, with or without cheese or jalapenos, and a glass of homemade root beer in a frosted mug.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                      RE: Loosemeat...? Wed, 08/31/05 5:30 PM (permalink)
                      SWguy, welcome to roadfood. There hasn't been much posting about roadfood in the Dayton area so I'm hoping you'll contribute some places. Good to hear from you.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                        RE: Loosemeat...? Wed, 08/31/05 5:36 PM (permalink)
                        BTW, speaking of Dayton, is Canal Street Tavern still around? I used to see some really great musical artists there in the past. And, let's see it seems there was a great jazz club called Gilly's, I could be wrong about the name, but I saw Pharoah Sanders, Lionel Hampton, and quite a few jazz greats there.

SWOhioGuy

RE: Loosemeat...? Thu, 09/1/05 8:34 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by carlton pierre

SWguy, welcome to roadfood. There hasn't been much posting about roadfood in the Dayton area so I'm hoping you'll contribute some places. Good to hear from you.

Carlton!

Thanks.

I'm from the Youngstown area, have lived in several places (Dayton, LA, San Antonio, ColoSpgs, and back to Dayton), and, like many, have had the pleasure of visiting many other places, via work or vacation. I've learned what Michael and Jane have been saying for years - good roadfood is available virtually everywhere, including right in our backyards.

So, heck yeah, I'll contribute! There indeed is some great, great food to be had around here. Plus, I plan to contribute something here and there (it's a long way to Double Chili Cheeseburger!) about other places I've lived and visited.

Thanks again, Carlton. Have a good one.

SWOhioGuy

RE: Loosemeat...? Thu, 09/1/05 9:59 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by carlton pierre

BTW, speaking of Dayton, is Canal Street Tavern still around? I used to see some really great musical artists there in the past. And, let's see it seems there was a great jazz club called Gilly's, I could be wrong about the name, but I saw Pharoah Sanders, Lionel Hampton, and quite a few jazz greats there.

Carlton,

You're dating yourself!!

Yep, Canal Street is still around - http://www.canalstreettavern.com/. They host a wide variety of well-regarded music, plus local stuff. Yes, and even a little classic jazz still - this summer, they hosted Freddy Cole (Nat King's brother) at the ivories (or was that Gilly's? - see below). Coming up, I'm thinking about seeing Tish Hinojosa, and/or Rory Block, and/or Roy Bookbinder.

Haven't been back in yet since I moved back to Dayton. When I was stationed at WPAFB (mid- to late-80s), I went there a few times. I'll never forget Leon Redbone doing shadow animals in the spotlight during his gig; or drinking cheap bourbon and branch after helping Matt "Guitar" Murphy unload his stuff, after I got there really, really early to snag a bar seat, and the bartender thought I was with the band. Nice work if you can get it :-).

Gilly's is still there too - http://hometown.aol.com/gillyjazz/, http://www.jazzadvocate.com/Location%20and%20Organizations/Gilly's.htm. I *have* been back in there recently - saw Magic Slim and the Teardrops (Chicago Blues/R&B), and Leon Russell (!!). Back in the day, I remember Albert Collins, The Master of the Telecaster, playing a fine gig there.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                              RE: Loosemeat...? Wed, 11/2/05 10:32 AM (permalink)
                              We use to have a Mugs-Up fast food place here in Huntsville, AL, in the early 70's and they served loose meat hamburgers and the best rootbear. I really loved those burgers, and think about them alot. I have gotten several recipies off the internet for loose meat burgers and hope to try them soon. Wish the Mugs Up was still here. Don't things we use to eat as a child seem so much better then as they do now? I remember when eating a hamburger was a treat. My dad was in the AirForce and got paid once a month, and my mom would go to the Officer's Club for bingo and bring us back a burger wrapped in aluminum foil. It was the best tasting burger I have ever had. I can still remember it 45 years later.

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
                                RE: Loosemeat...? Wed, 11/2/05 9:02 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by DWadle

I see people are wondering where there are Maid-Rites outside of Iowa. In Illinois, besides the ones mentioned in Peoria and LaSalle-Peru, there were a couple of Maid-Rites in Rockford a few years ago when I was there. In Wisconsin there is a Maid-Rite in Madison near the West Towne Mall. I understand there are Maid-Rites in Missouri in Lexington and St. Joseph.

Also Moline & Rock Island Ill and Davenport & Bettendorf IA have them. There used to be one in Springfield MO but that one has been closed for about 4 years now.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                  RE: Loosemeat...? Thu, 11/3/05 11:21 AM (permalink)
                                  I made loose meat burgers last night for supper. They were great, but boy did I ever get indigestion. It must have been the onions. They were easy to make and one person that ate them said they tasted just like a krystal hamburger. I seveved them on small rolls. I browed hamburger meat, then draid the grease, added 1/2 pack of dry onion soup mix, 1 small finely chopped onion, and 8 oz. velveeta cheese. Mix all this up until the cheese melted and split the bun and wrapped all in alum. foil and baked for 15-20 min. in a 350 deg. oven. Try it, you'll like it.

mark61520

• Total Posts: 1
                                    RE: Loosemeat...? Sat, 12/3/05 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                    I grew up in the Greenville, Ohio area and recently moved to the Peoria, Illinois area. I was very excited to learn that there were some Maid-Rites in the area. I went to the one close to the Knolls in Peoria and although it was good it was not even close to the taste of the one in Greenville. It looked very similar but the taste was very different. Very flat in flavor compared to the one in Greenville. Maybe it was just that day I don't know. I have been told I need to make a road trip to Quincy to the one there. Maybe some weekend I will and just make a day of it stopping at The Maid-Rite there and also Sonic. I lived near Huntsville, Alabama and fell in love with Sonic while there. I am not sure if The Maid-Rite in Greenville is affiliated with the one whose corporate office is now located in Des Moines, Iowa. I really don't think so but there must be some tie because it is spelled the same way. Legally I doubt they could do that if there weren't some sort of tie.

Sundancer7

RE: Loosemeat...? Mon, 12/5/05 7:57 AM (permalink)
                                      I ate at the one in Rock Island, IL. Pretty tasty but a mess to eat.

Paul E. Smith
                                      Knoxville, TN

johns72604

• Total Posts: 74
                                        RE: Loosemeat...? Mon, 12/5/05 9:35 AM (permalink)
                                        The Maid-Rite in Greenville has no affiliation with the franchise, and is much better IMO.

Z66 Butch

• Total Posts: 198
                                          RE: Loosemeat...? Mon, 12/5/05 11:09 AM (permalink)
                                          We call it scrambled hamburger here in my house. I have taken a liking to the ground beef that they sell in supermarkets in the 3 and 5 LB rolls. I find it on sale all of the time, it is much less per pound that the regular packaged ground beef. I find that it taste fresher than ground beef in other packaging for some reason. It will keep longer in the refrigerator. Sometimes we will buy a roll and make burgers for one meal and then I will "scramble the rest. The scrambled burger will then keep a few more days in the refrigerator or you can bag it up and freeze it. It freezes well after cooking. I usually store about a pound in a zipped bag and then I can take it our and make Sloppy Joes, Tacos, or add it to any recipe that calls for it!

Butch

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                                            RE: Loosemeat...? Mon, 12/5/05 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                            Interesting, Malheureux. In the late 60s in Warwick, RI, that was essentially a Sloppy Joe and was a brief rage at teen parties, local sandwich joints, and school cafeterias. Variations could be substitution of tomato sauce for tomatoes. And in some venues adding hot pepper made it a Sloppy Jose.

BTW - is "Manwich" still sold as Sloppy Joe sauce? That's how I recall it first being marketed in the late 60s or early 70s. Once the canned stuff started being substituted for the real deal, Sloppy Joes suffered an immediate decline in popularity and had all but disappeared by the mid-70s.

Or did they move to Woonsocket and become Dyn-o-mite?

TxConnie

• Total Posts: 83
                                              RE: Loosemeat...? Tue, 12/6/05 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                              I tried RedGreene's recipe this weekend-- OMG it was wonderful. I wish we could get the Maid-Rite's here.

tater dickens

• Total Posts: 14
                                                RE: Loosemeat...? Sun, 01/15/06 1:47 AM (permalink)
                                                There is a "restaurant" in Lincoln Nebraska named the Tastee Inn. They have been serving "loose meat" sandwiches since they opened in 1948. This place is a "classic". They still have the original neon sign for the "Tastee Inn & Out" entrance with another sign on the side of the building calling the establishment the "Tasty Inn"". I have tasted Maid Rites and other loose meat sanwiches but this one is the best. In addition, they have a wonderful item on the menu which they call onion chips which are slices of onions battered then deep fried and served with a cheese dip that is served in mini styrofoam containers.

During thelate 50's and middle 60's a costumer could buy 6 Tastee's for the price of 5 and have them packed in a carboard cylinder container.

I have lived in California since 1977 but whenever I return to Lincoln these are the essential visits for the Roadfood dining experience: Runza Hut, Lee's Chicken House, Misty's Steak House and of course Tastee Inn. ENJOY!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
                                                  RE: Loosemeat...? Sun, 01/15/06 3:46 AM (permalink)
                                                  Stop in at any White Castle for onion chips. I'd been eating White Castles for years before I found out they had French fries, too.

Jerry J

RE: Loosemeat...? Tue, 02/7/06 8:43 AM (permalink)
                                                    Hi, my first experience with loose meat hamburgers was in the early fifties. My last was Thanksgiving of 2005. It was at a place called Piggy Park in Thomaston, Georgia. Absolutely the best hamburgers I have ever had. I live a little over five hundred miles from there now and my sister sends me them via UPS. If you are ever "down South" stop in. It is located on highway 19. Bout an hour south of Atlanta. You will not regret it. Also be sure to order a side of fries and cole slaw. Enjoy........Jerry Jakson

surlysunshine

• Location: Glens Falls, NY
                                                      RE: Loosemeat...? Sun, 07/9/06 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

Hastyman, Excellent lesson in Iowan communal culture!

In upstate NY they sometimes also call a sloppy joe a "barbeque."

Not true, I am currently sitting in upstate NY, and while we don't have loosemeats, no one calls sloppy joes "barbeque". We call just about any grilled stuff with rubs or bbq sauce "barbeque", and everyone knows what a sloppy joe is. I grew up in Georgia and Texas, so I have a good idea of what BBQ is. Up here, most people like things really saucy, and they don't generally eat brisket. Otherwise, what things are called are not very different.

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
                                                        RE: Loosemeat...? Sun, 07/9/06 11:24 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by surlysunshine

quote:

Not true, I am currently sitting in upstate NY, and while we don't have loosemeats, no one calls sloppy joes "barbeque". We call just about any grilled stuff with rubs or bbq sauce "barbeque", and everyone knows what a sloppy joe is. I grew up in Georgia and Texas, so I have a good idea of what BBQ is. Up here, most people like things really saucy, and they don't generally eat brisket. Otherwise, what things are called are not very different.

Surly, I won't get that way, but having grown up in upstate NY, I think I know what people from my area called various food items.
                                                        Upstate NY covers a wide area. Perhaps where you are they don't call a sloppy joe a ever bbq. And yes, bbq usually referred to grilling. . . on a barbeque grill.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                                          • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                                                          RE: Loosemeat...? Mon, 07/10/06 8:59 AM (permalink)
                                                          Where I grew up, sloppy joe's and barbeque sandwich were pretty much the same thing. Only variations are that with some barbeque sandwichs the meat is loose, others it is shredded, all come sauced. I went to college in Iowa and a true loose meat has no sauce.

GAupstateNYboy

• Location: Griffin, GA
                                                            RE: Loosemeat...? Sat, 07/21/07 12:22 PM (permalink)
                                                            30 years in upstate NY and never heard a single quote of a sloppy joe being BBQ. I can't even tell you how many picnics or restaurants I've been to and still nothing ever refering to a sloppy joe being BBQ. One person or a family calling a dinner BBQ is not a whole reflection of an areas intellect. WV all they like are Nascar, oil stained t-shirts, bluegrass pickin', moonshine, and hate the dentist. Must be true...I saw it on Saturday Night Live..duh
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by WVHillbilly

quote:
                                                            Originally posted by surlysunshine

quote:

Surly, I won't get that way, but having grown up in upstate NY, I think I know what people from my area called various food items.
                                                            Upstate NY covers a wide area. Perhaps where you are they don't call a sloppy joe a ever bbq. And yes, bbq usually referred to grilling. . . on a barbeque grill.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 112

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com