Los Angeles & Orange County

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2009/03/08 10:01:56 (permalink)
mar52

Ever go to that market in Highland Park with all the different types of soda?  I don't know why they health department doesn't shut them down.  Neat place if you're looking for a root beer taste comparison.

NO.  I don't know that place yet, but I tend to love places that look like they should be shut down by the health dept.  I got tickled by--and I'd have pictures if I'd been more on the stick at the time--the number of folks apparently selling things out of their front yards, particularly on Friday night, but I'm not sure where I was exactly at the time.

About the Pantry and security--there is uniformed security at the front door letting you in and out.  At one point he came and got a couple of young ladies who were about eight or ten back in the line and walked them in.  I just figured this is LA and everybody's got a Paris Hilton rule or something.  They were cute.

edited to add: Don, thanks for the hospitality man!  I remembered this thread immediately when I was figuring out what to do with these because it was so well done.
post edited by Nancypalooza - 2009/03/08 10:06:49
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2434
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2009/03/08 10:08:08 (permalink)
MiamiDon, 

WOW!!  What a great and truly classic trip report for the ages!  You struck a wonderful balance of Roadfood classics, California classics with a healthy dose and ethnic diversity.  This is a great eating map for anyone visiting L.A.  I spent a month touring L.A. with a theater troupe years ago and I was doing that now, this report would be heavily used.  

Ham steaks, french dip. California burgers, juices, Jody Maroni's, some righteous looking Mexican, lots of breakfasts (my favorite meal of the day!) and of course, pie!  

Thanks for taking me along on the visual ride!

mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8061
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2009/03/08 22:49:27 (permalink)
Both Don and Nancy really captured the essense of what is available around LA.  Both did great jobs.

At some point I want to go to Auntie Em's!

That pie is doing it to me!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2009/03/08 22:58:29 (permalink)
Tell you what Marlene, if you buy the hot dogs I'll treat to Auntie Em's.  I'm home now and I miss that pie.  

(whispering to pie)  Call me!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7890
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2009/03/09 10:26:11 (permalink)
billyboy

MiamiDon, 

WOW!!  What a great and truly classic trip report for the ages!  You struck a wonderful balance of Roadfood classics, California classics with a healthy dose and ethnic diversity.  This is a great eating map for anyone visiting L.A. Ham steaks, french dip. California burgers, juices, Jody Maroni's, some righteous looking Mexican, lots of breakfasts (my favorite meal of the day!) and of course, pie!  

I still feel strongly that doing a roadfood tour in LA and ignoring the Smoothie Shops and Sushi joints which I believe is the true essence of LA (not trendy LA- just LA) is like going to NYC and ignoring the Pizza Joints and the dying (possibly already dead) Jewish Deli's.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2009/03/09 10:36:01 (permalink)

nancy...

I have love this thread from the start and your addition helps improve it. There is one photo that seems to be missing. You laying on the beach in your bathing suit... or not.  But I wish that more folks would post what they look like.

mark
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2009/03/09 10:48:37 (permalink)
wanderingjew

billyboy

MiamiDon, 

WOW!!  What a great and truly classic trip report for the ages!  You struck a wonderful balance of Roadfood classics, California classics with a healthy dose and ethnic diversity.  This is a great eating map for anyone visiting L.A. Ham steaks, french dip. California burgers, juices, Jody Maroni's, some righteous looking Mexican, lots of breakfasts (my favorite meal of the day!) and of course, pie!  

I still feel strongly that doing a roadfood tour in LA and ignoring the Smoothie Shops and Sushi joints which I believe is the true essence of LA (not trendy LA- just LA) is like going to NYC and ignoring the Pizza Joints and the dying (possibly already dead) Jewish Deli's.

Dale,

You , along with billyboy are two of my heroes. 'Nuff said.  I know that the corned beef and pastrami in L.A. isn't as good as NYC. Why try?  You go to Jody Moroni's for the sausages, not the hot dogs. Etc, etc, etc...
I do think that these reviews were pretty damn close in spirit to the variety in SoCal. There is so much to choose from.
I miss Huntington Beach and the whole coastline. My inner spirit requires me to be near water, whether it is the Pacific or the Mississippi River...... It also requires a great Mission style carnitas burrito. 

mark

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2009/03/09 11:32:18 (permalink)
MiamiDon, your report is one of the best I've seen. Those fantastic photos of yours are making me SO hungry!! 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7890
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2009/03/09 19:37:30 (permalink)
doggydaddy

Dale,

You , along with billyboy are two of my heroes. 'Nuff said.  I know that the corned beef and pastrami in L.A. isn't as good as NYC. Why try?  You go to Jody Moroni's for the sausages, not the hot dogs. Etc, etc, etc...
I do think that these reviews were pretty damn close in spirit to the variety in SoCal. There is so much to choose from.
I miss Huntington Beach and the whole coastline. My inner spirit requires me to be near water, whether it is the Pacific or the Mississippi River...... It also requires a great Mission style carnitas burrito. 

mark

Thanks Mark,

I am most humbled . I also totally agree about Billyboy. Other than Mr. Chips, I haven't seen two people on this forum who are more enthusiastic about the roadfood that their (adopted) cities have to offer.

I will be in LA next month and hope to capture the essence of that city in my future trip report Of course  I will welcome any comments whether it be positive accolades or constructive criticism.

jbully314
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2010/04/21 16:02:00 (permalink)
Don, Great job and it sounds like you had a blast. However, I have to say I am extremely disappointed in your effort at In'n'Out Burger. You got a single, not a Double Double. That's like going to Phillippe's and orderng a chicken sandwich. You need to go back and have a Double Double before passing judgment. I understand about the fries, not everyone likes them. However, most people who eat a Double Double anoint it the best burger they've ever had. I think you cheated yourself with your order.

I've lived in Fort Worth, Texas for the last year, and after being spoiled by having In'n'Out my whole life, I just don't enjoy any of the burgers they have out here. All the locals rave about Kincaid's and Five Guys, but to me they are poor substitutes for a Double Double. I hope In'n'Out makes it out here someday soon.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2010/04/21 16:08:58 (permalink)
jbully314

Don, Great job and it sounds like you had a blast. However, I have to say I am extremely disappointed in your effort at In'n'Out Burger. You got a single, not a Double Double. That's like going to Phillippe's and orderng a chicken sandwich. You need to go back and have a Double Double before passing judgment. I understand about the fries, not everyone likes them. However, most people who eat a Double Double anoint it the best burger they've ever had. I think you cheated yourself with your order.

I've lived in Fort Worth, Texas for the last year, and after being spoiled by having In'n'Out my whole life, I just don't enjoy any of the burgers they have out here. All the locals rave about Kincaid's and Five Guys, but to me they are poor substitutes for a Double Double. I hope In'n'Out makes it out here someday soon.

Hello jbully,
I've come to suspect that I made the wrong choice.  The "normal" burger there (and at Original Tommy's) seems to be a double.  I was saving room, but I would have been better off halving it and tossing the remainder.  I don't know when I will be back in California - my visit was for a once-in-a-lifetime family reunion event.  If I do, I'll be sure to try again!
jbully314
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2010/04/21 18:28:39 (permalink)
Well I hope you do make it back, or that In 'N' Out makes it out your way! But I wanted to say that although my post was mostly a criticism, I didn't want to sound like I didn't enjoy your work. I had a blast seeing everywhere you went and what you thought of everything. I would love to do something like that someday. Kudos to you. You should have your own show on the Travel Channel or Food Network because you were quite thorough and obviously know your food.
crew84row
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 174
RE: Los Angeles & Orange County 2010/04/23 18:19:33 (permalink)
Miami Don...Just now seeing your report.  Brings back old memories that's for sure. I've eaten at Original Pantry and Cielto Lindos many times.  Was never a fan of Tommy's, preferred Fatburger.  The Apple Pan used to be good, but 2 years ago when I was back in LA, the burgers weren't the same as I remembered.  Apple Pie was still pretty good. Buffetbuster would have liked their selections in the old days.  John O'Groats was my Saturday morning breakfast spot when I was marathoning.  A good early long run and then pile into the pancakes and their potatoes.   That old guy in jeans with a beard is the owner.  Glad to see they're still around.  They have to have been in business nearly 30 years or close to it.  Aunt Kizzy's opened up in a shopping center in the Marina.    There's a great burger spot on the other side of Huntington Beach pier from the Longboard.  name escapes me but right across from the beach.  Closing of Killer Shrimp is saddening; another spot that opened up in the 80s.

Glad you had a nice trip.

Crew
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1