Los Angeles and surrounding area?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 576
2011/10/06 19:14:11 (permalink)

Los Angeles and surrounding area?

Looking or suggestions in the Los Angles area.   We'll be out there several days later this year.  We're not afraid to travel a bit out of the area to San Bernardino, San Diego, Victorville, Ventura, you name it, .... so no need to only be in L.A., ... but the L.A. area is where we will be most of the time. 

Pann's, Langer's,  and Philippe's Original are already on our list to go to. 

We were told that the neighborhood where Langer's is located (near MacArthur Park) has some gangs, and can be dangerous.  Anyone else confirm this, or was our friend being too cautious?  We'd hate to miss a good place if we can at least hit it up at lunch time when the drug dealers and gansters are still sleeping. 

What else do you recommend?

Thanks!

Janet and Glenn

35 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7905
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 21:16:25 (permalink)
    For some real regional Gen-u-wine Roadfood  which you will NEVER find in Virginia

I recommend the following

http://roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/6520/california-roll-factory 

http://roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/6533/gs-juice

another Juice Bar right in Hollywood- it's been around for 4 decades- Juices Fountain

http://www.yelp.com/biz/juices-fountain-hollywood

http://roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/6595/los-cinco-puntos

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8079
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 21:39:43 (permalink)
    Langer's is indeed in a not so great area.  In fact their hours reflect that problem.

They are closed on Sundays and only open until 4PM.  They do have a paid parking lot down the street a bit on 7th Street.  Worth the trip for a pastrami sandwich.

Beware of Cinco Puntos.  I took my mother there after an afternoon at the theater.  We walked out.  It's a market and not the place for my mother.  I'm sure the tacos are delicious, but the setting was wrong for my mother.

I'm going to check out WJ's links to see which ones he posted.  There are a lot of Los Angeles threads going on here at Roadfood.

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 22:04:59 (permalink)
    Okay...   (Don't take offense, Dale!)

Los Angeles is not about juice and California rolls.    Although both places are good, they are not Los Angeles.  I happened to drive right by G's Juice today and mentioned Dale   Both places Wanderjew mentioned are just okay... which is, of course my opinion.  California rolls that look like the one Dale posted can be found in a lot of the Japanese restaurants around town.  My choice is always the Spider Roll which is made with a soft shell crab.

Los Angeles is a conglomeration of different tastes.  We're divded up into Little Armenia, Byzantine Town, an area that is primarily Persian, Chinatown, an Ethiopian area and a strip of Venice Boulevard that has now become a haven for Brazilian restaurants.

Los Angeles is eclectic without one special item that screams out Los Angeles.... except for maybe Phillipe's which has its rival... Coles and of course Cielito Lindo in Olvera Street.

I've been disappointed more times at Pann's than not.  How can they always be out of what I want?  The architecture is cool, the music fun, but the food?  Don't cross Pann's off of your list.  It is a place to try.

Like doughnuts?  Randy's (The Big Donut) is located right off the 405 freesay near LAX.

I think Mashti Malones is a great Roadfood place for ice cream.    http://www.mashtimalone.com/   It's up the block from Pink's which is just okay but an experience to be done at least once.

Mostly keep your eyes open and enjoy!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 22:12:51 (permalink)
    mar52

Okay...   (Don't take offense, Dale!)

Los Angeles is not about juice and California rolls.    Although both places are good, they are not Los Angeles.  I happened to drive right by G's Juice today and mentioned Dale   Both places Wanderjew mentioned are just okay... which is, of course my opinion.  California rolls that look like the one Dale posted can be found in a lot of the Japanese restaurants around town.  My choice is always the Spider Roll which is made with a soft shell crab.

Well, it certainly ain't about the burgers.

Gotta disagree, I've yet to find anywhere in the country that compares , I know the Roadfood website/forum nowadays has gone the diners drive ins and dives direction, but if there is anything regional and unique about LA and Southern California its the plethora of juice bars and crazy roll joints that simply don't exist elsewhere.  Remember this stuff was invented in Southern California. 

I can't imagine traveling 3000 miles for a donut that they can probably find that's just as good right at home. 

post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/10/06 22:19:54
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 22:21:10 (permalink)

WJ -   Thanks!   The G's Juice and Los Cinco Puntos look very good.   We're not sushi fans, so we'll take a pass on California Roll Factory.   Believe it or not, there are lots of Sushi places here in northern VA (We're a little outside Washington, DC) ,  and they do have what they call "California rolls".   I can't tell you if they're any good, as we don't eat them.     The taco from Los Cinco Puntos looks delicious!  Looks like a must go place. 

mar52 -  Thanks for confirming the info on Langer's.  What was the hesitation about Los Cinco Puntos?   You said it's not a place for your mother.  Would you consider it dangerous, or just not the kind of place your mother likes?   
    Much thanks!

It will be interesting to visit L.A. again    Haven't been there in many years.   

Janet and Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/10/06 22:31:09
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 22:33:18 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

WJ -   Thanks!   The G's Juice and Los Cinco Puntos look very good.   We're not sushi fans, so we'll take a pass on California Roll Factory.   Believe it or not, there are lots of Sushi places here in northern VA (We're a little outside Washington, DC) ,  and they do have what they call "California rolls".   I can't tell you if they're any good, as we don't eat them.     The taco from Los Cinco Puntos looks delicious!  Looks like a must go place. 

mar52 -  Thanks for confirming the info on Langer's.  What was the hesitation about Los Cinco Puntos?   You said it's not a place for your mother.  Would you consider it dangerous, or just not the kind of place your mother likes?   
    Much thanks!

It will be intersting to visit L.A. again    Haven't been there in many years.   

Janet and Glenn

Janet and Glenn

My pleasure.

Yes, there are many places that serve traditional sushi all around the country, including California Rolls, there's one place about a mile from me called Kon that everyone raves about.  I've been there and its a very expensive and complete joke. One of the Baristas at my coffee house was back from winter break last year from UCLA and she was just amazed at all of the options available out there that simply don't exist here in Rhode Island and even Boston.

Another cool place to  try (actually Mar and I went ) is Parks BBQ in Korea Town-- 
    http://parksbbq.com/
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 22:41:41 (permalink)
    My mother grew up on Brooklyn Avenue right up the block from Los Cinco Puntos.  It's now called Cesar Chavez Boulevard which has nothing to do with it.

The area is mostly commercial around the corner sort of  and up the street from Phillipe's. 

My mother likes sit down restaurants.  We were both dressed for the theater.  This was just not the right place at the time.

Me by myself or with others not my mother would have no problem enjoying a taco there.... probably a great taco as long as they know how to leave off the cilantro.

Dale... I never mentioned burgers!  You'd also have to hunt for a juice bar around here.  I just happen to live close by Mr. G's... which is really more of a Mexican restaurant with a juice bar connected to it.

Randy's is about the experience, not the doughnut.... same as Pann's and Pink's.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 22:44:49 (permalink)
    Park's BBQ is delicious and Dale and I had a very nice meal there.  It's located in an area that is specifically Korean.  I find that all of the cook at your table Korean BBQ's are quite expensive, although very tasty.

I've now been to several of them and Park's stands out as one of the finer establishments.  Maybe it was the company.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 22:50:25 (permalink)
    mar52

Dale... I never mentioned burgers!  You'd also have to hunt for a juice bar around here.  I just happen to live close by Mr. G's... which is really more of a Mexican restaurant with a juice bar connected to it.

Randy's is about the experience, not the doughnut.... same as Pann's and Pink's.

I just had to post this link

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?messageID=9715015

uh oh!!

http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/5/450/LA/Smoothie-Places

double- uh oh !

I guess all the juice bars closed since I was last there 2 1/2 years ago Seriously- Jamba Juice started out there

I guess you can say the same thing about the NYC deli's- there are like what- five of them left?

Don't know much about Panns, but I personally would pass on the experience and go for the food, especially when traveling 3000 miles. 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 22:52:15 (permalink)
    mar52

Park's BBQ is delicious and Dale and I had a very nice meal there.  It's located in an area that is specifically Korean.  I find that all of the cook at your table Korean BBQ's are quite expensive, although very tasty.

I've now been to several of them and Park's stands out as one of the finer establishments.  Maybe it was the company.

Why thank you ! I agree too- 

I think that Parks was one of the best experiences of that trip-
    I still can't believe it's been 2 1/2 year- time certainly flies. 
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 23:34:45 (permalink)

Wow.  Fantastic info.  Lots to see and eat.   We will go to a few places for the experience, despite the food.  I grew up in the same town as Allie's Donuts in RI, and nothing has compared to Allie's  yet.     But, it would still be interesting to go a place like Randy's with a big, honking donut on the roof! 

We're a bit of architecture geeks..   There is very little remaining mid-century modern "Googie" architecture remaining in the east, and Pann's is a great example of it.  We'd have to go there once, even if to just go inside and order a drink to sip on.  Supposedly their fried chicken is pretty good, so we plan to try it.   

We love Southern California's historical embodiment of what was known as the "car culture".   We plan to drive east out old US 66, and hopefully find a few old drive-in, car-hop type eateries.  

We probably enjoy the architecture almost as much as the food.  (One of our favorite destinations is South Beach (southern Miami Beach)  for their preservation of Art Deco.).

WJ -  Do you remember the old, really huge Burger Chef and huge Walt's Roast Beef signs that had existed on Post Road in North Kingstown?   Those big signs were probably there until the early 1970s..   Burger Chef had re-modeled to the "newer" design in the early 1970s, and Walt's replaced the really big old sign around the same time.  Later, Burger Chef was completely gone, and Walt's moved one building down from its old spot into the previous Papa Geno's Building.  Miss those big old mid-century signs. 

Glenn and Janet 

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/10/07 00:09:25
    jimcor
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 23:39:59 (permalink)
    Here you go! Get some Lucky Boy burgers in Pasadena!
    http://www.luckyboyburgers.com/

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/06 23:49:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for this thread. The chips family will be visiting the Alhamra area in November and will hope to hit some wonderful places while in the greater L.A. area.
          My beloved trudy hates sushi, is not very fond of juice bars and loathes Korean. I.m looking forward to different ethnic foods unavailable in PDX and different experiences while in the area. 
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 00:30:36 (permalink)

"Googie" architecture, of which Pann's is a fine example:

Googie:
    http://www.spaceagecity.com/googie/

More Googie:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googie_architecture 

http://www.roadsidepeek.com/googie/googarchit/index.htm

Glenn and Janet

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/10/07 00:32:11
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 00:41:01 (permalink)
    I was in LA this past spring.  I eat neither Mexican nor sushi, so I can offer up some suggestions that don't fit that mold.

I did go to Langer's.  I was telling the story to the woman working the front desk at my hotel and she was mortified that I went there by myself.  Seriously.  It is an  interesting neighborhood, for sure, but I never felt unsafe. Still, I would probably rank it in my Top 10 Worst Neighborhoods for finding Roadfood!  Still, the food is good, and I would absolutely go back.

I also went to Canter's, which has more favorable operating hours, a better neighborhood, but food that was not as good as Langer's.

I would recommend Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles for some legendary soul food.  The mac and cheese was superb, and I am always a fan of good fried chicken.

For a classic, upscale, leather booth, supper club, menu-hasn't-changed-in-50-years experience, Musso and Frank in Hollywood is a winner.

Sat at the counter at Apple Pan.  The burger was just OK, but the banana cream pie was other-worldly.  The view from the counter seats is worth the price of admission.  The folks working there move with an indescribable precision.

Hit the Farmer's Market at Third and Fairfax.  There, among many, many other things, you will find Du-Par's, famous for their pancakes, late-night celeb-watching and pie....not necessarily in that order.

I also made it to Randy's Donuts.  The photo op is worth the stop.  The donuts are pretty good - they have an extensive selection.  The coffee sucks.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 01:06:15 (permalink)
    I was also going to suggest Roscoes having been to their newest location a couple of weeks ago.  But, I also figured you'd be having the fried chicken at Pann's.  The new location is extremely close to Randy's Donuts which has mediocre donuts, by the way.

Apple Pan's banana cream pie....  something to swoon about.  I like their hickory burger but not as much as sitting at the counter watching the staff at work.  You get real cream for your coffee at Apple Pan's and they serve water in those V-Shaped paper cups that require a holder.  I love when some things don't change.  Their fries are awful, but with enough catsup...

http://www.dinahsrestaurant.com/  Dinah's Culver City location is interesting.  Food is so-so but their apple pancake is wonderful if you're in to sweet and cinnamon.  The interior has been used in films and commercials.

I'll mention Tito's Tacos because I always mention Tito's Tacos.
    totillie
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 01:10:02 (permalink)
    Alhambra?
    The Hat. beef and pastrami. Especially the pastrami.
    Fosselman's ice cream treats
    Please try both. You will not be sorry.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 02:26:28 (permalink)

Okay, just me (Glenn) up now.  Janet went to bed.  I'm getting hungry already!  Okay, definitely running the gauntlet to go to Langer's.    Is it better for me to drop Janet at the door for Langer's, and go to park myself, or should we park togther and walk together?  I just think she will really stick out walking that neighborhood as a 5'7"  blonde.  If it's mostly Hispanic gangs there.  She'll be taller than many of them, and the only blonde around.   I can walk myself, no problem.  The question is would it be even worse to leave her by herself at the deli while I park?  ... Or, once in the deli, it's pretty safe? 

Thanks for the reminder about Musso and Frank.  It was on our list, but forgot to mention it.   We had heard of Roscoe's, but didn't know if it was more of a gimmick.  We'll try it.  You can never have too much fried chicken! 

Apple Pan sounds fascinating.   I love banana cream.  Coconut cream is even better, but I'll take banana cream.  

We tend to be late-nighters, and not big breakfast people.  In fact, Langer's might be for our "breakfast" at around 11-11:30 a.m.     So, if Dinah's is primarily breakfast stuff, we might skip it, unless they do "all day breakfast". 

Speaking of late-nighters, what places are good for late night bites?  Any all-night diners,  etc. ...or at least really late ones?

As for Du-Par's .... Is it just a tempory set-up type thing in a booth/tent at the farmers' market?  What days does the farmers' market run?   

We'll put The Hat and Fossleman's on the list of possibles, too.

What is best to get at Tito's Tacos?  Tacos, I assume?  :)    Any particular type?

Much thanks!

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/10/07 02:34:42
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 03:00:26 (permalink)

Some background info about this trip, and how much time we'll have to go to places.    We'll be out in the area for 17 days, but might have about 6 to 8 useful days for roadfood and traveling around. 

The primary purpose of the trip is that Janet needs a series of micro-surgeries on the vessels in her left leg.  The surgeries will occur over a period of a few days, plus a few days of healing.  So depending on how she does, that will determine how well we can travel post-surgery.  We will arrive a few days before the surgery to do stuff, too.

Tne incisions are going to be small, but they are still incisions, none-the-less.   She is having lymphatic drainage problems in her left leg, which can causes swelling,  ... so the surgeon will attach some of the very very small lymphatic vessels into some blood vessels to facilitate lymphatic system drainage.  
    About 15 connections (about 5 during each of 3 separate surgeries) will be made at 3 different locations in her leg.    There are only 3 surgeons that we know of that do this. (Lymphatic vessles are quite small at 1/50th to as small as 1/250th of an inch in diameter.)   One surgeon is in Japan, ... one in TX, ... and one in Torrance, CA.    So, we'll be near Torrance..a little south of LAX, for several days. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/10/07 03:03:02
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 06:06:37 (permalink)
    I would not be concerned about going to Langers at lunchtime. However, if you have doubts, you can call in your order and they will bring it out to your car when you pull up.

Either way,, you'll get what is possibly the best pastrami you've ever had.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 08:56:39 (permalink)
    Glenn1234 

WJ -  Do you remember the old, really huge Burger Chef and huge Walt's Roast Beef signs that had existed on Post Road in North Kingstown?   Those big signs were probably there until the early 1970s..   Burger Chef had re-modeled to the "newer" design in the early 1970s, and Walt's replaced the really big old sign around the same time.  Later, Burger Chef was completely gone, and Walt's moved one building down from its old spot into the previous Papa Geno's Building.  Miss those big old mid-century signs. 

Glenn and Janet  

Glenn an Janet

-I'm not originaly from Rhode Island. I'm a born and bred New  Yorker who grew up on Long Island, besides I wouldn't remember much from the early 70's- I was just a little guy back then  in grade school. 

-I couldn't go into much detail last night as my attention was diverted to the  TV and watching my Yankees losing the ALCS

-When I travel I look for unique experiences, things I can't find locally.  For some reason  others will do this but with certain areas of the country (Charleston, New Orleans Chicago) come to mind, however when you visit these places, albeit the food is fantastic  however you're not eating like a local, you're eating like a tourist.  Perhaps if you visit these places and check out the the Italian Restaurants, Chinese Restaurants and Sandwich Shops (and I'm sure there has to be a few good ones) then you're eating like a local. 

-With that said, I know you guys are not fans of Sush- however The California Roll Factory does not serve sushi, not in the traditional sense this is not a Japanese Restaurant, its a Californian Restaurant. This is a unique take to a higher and very different level invented in LA . These rolls are big, sloppy and for the most part  DO NOT INVOLVE RAW FISH.  The menu gives a breakdown of the ingredients that compose these rolls so you'll know whether or not the fish is raw.  If you like Chinese Dim Sum then you would love the California Roll Factory.  Mar is right, many restaurants in So- Cal do offer this, and Yelpers have given the place great reviews, although unfortunately the reviews are little skewed by those who were expecting tradtional sushi and therefore obviously disappointed.
    and Mar is right- these crazy rolls or wacky rolls as they are referred to are prevelant everywhere in So-Cal but unfortunately I've found pale imitations elsewhere- I'm still looking around Rhode Island and Boston for something remotely similar even my friends in NY were amazed at the photos I showed them. I guess a similar analogy would be: 
    well, why go to Langers in LA when there are plenty of Sanwich shops in Virginia?

-Another place I mentioned Juices Fountain on Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood is owned by a Columbian Family and is probably one of the oldest Juice Bars in the LA area- they opened over 40 years ago and as you can see
    got 4 1/2 out of 5 stars on yelp
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/juices-fountain-hollywood

Speaking of big and sloppy, another place to consider for a humongous burrito is El Tepeyac

http://roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/6524/el-tepeyac-cafe

-if you're a fan of Teriyaki, you'll notice a plethora of fast food Teriyaki joints everywhere serving Teriyaki bowls. I lived in Seattle for 5 years and I know many on here (including wheregregeats)  think that Seattle had huge concesntration of Teriyaki joints, well Seattle can't even begin to compare or come close to the concentration  that LA has. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you  where the good ones are, since the only chance I had to try it was at a Ramen Parlor in Little Tokyo.
    perhaps this might help

http://www.dishtip.com/s/ca/los-angeles/top-dishes/teriyaki-bowl

-Philippe's goes without saying (at least that's where I'm in agreement with most)- get the lamb dip

-Finally,  a recommendation I went with from our own Elise T
    If you're a fan of fresh baked granola for breakfast  I totally recommend Theres No Place Like Home  and of course they have other
    breakfast options too.
    http://www.homelosfeliz.com/

eagle6894
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 10:48:52 (permalink)
    I would say double dip at Philippes's

Roscoes is always on my list when we are out there.

Apple Pan is alright, but Irv's is better at least to me and my family!

Barney's Chilli is great also and near Irv's

fortbethel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 13:26:18 (permalink)
    Janet & Glenn,

I travel to L.A. frequently & know Langer's very very well. Yes, the area comes off as dangerous but I've never had a problem. Then again I only go there at 8am. Here's why. Langer's has it's own little parking lot a block up the street. after 10 am the area gets real busy & packed & it's a drag waiting for a parking space. Having my fav. sandwich at Langer's The # 19 is a bit odd at 8 am but I refuse to go there when it's packed. You'll have no probs at 8 am. Sorry that I can't remember the cross streets for the little Langer's parking lot but call them & they'll tell you.

Langer’s Deli: The #19   I personally feel it's over priced but oh so so good!

Pink’s:  The Huell Dog

Philippe’s: The French Dip

Pinkberry: The frozen yogurt

post edited by fortbethel - 2011/10/07 13:34:09
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 14:38:00 (permalink)
    Good luck to Janet!  It's good to know that you're using the best.

Torrance has some interesting places to eat close by.

Do you like Pho?  There is a (strange) combination Vietnames/Hawaiian restaurant on the east side of Carson just north of Western... very close to Torrance.

On the Southeast corner of that same intersection are two buffets.  One is called Grand Buffet and serves foods from many of the Asian countries.  Don't go there.

Across from it in the same shopping center is a Korean Buffet... cook yourself at your own table restaurant.  It's fun and tasty, both.  I think that they are closed between 2 PM and 6PM.

Langer's is fine... during the day.  It's also probably fine at night except for the fact that it's dark.

It's on the corner of 7th and Alvarado.  My parents used to own the shopping center on the corner of 8th and Alvarado.  My mother made my father sell it because she thought he'd be killed because he kept calling the police about the drug dealers in the alley.  Mom was probably right.

During the day you'll have no problem.  There is sometimes a line outside of Langer's with people standing and waiting to get in.  Take a cane if Janet has problems standing or maybe they'll let her sit inside.  The walk from the parking lot is short and the shops selling imported cheap goods and foods are interesting.  Don't be afraid of it unless Janet has difficulty walking.  You will be fine making that walk by yourself.

Pinkberry is opening up almost everywhere.  The original flavor is what made them famous.  It has no flavor and should be paired up with fruit.  They have a couple new flavors now that probably keep them in business.  If you want to try Pinkberry there is a location in the original Farmer's Market on 3rd and Fairfax... a pet peeve of mine.  They should not kick out old and established retailers for "found on every corner" "higher rent paying" shops.  You can also get Starbucks there..., grrrr.

The Dupars location at The Farmer's Market is a dedicated restaurant, not a stall.  Have the pancakes with the drawn butter.  If you're doing it, do it right!

At Phillipe's I don't order the double dip.  I did once and the sandwich was terribly soggy, a little salty from the dip and it fell apart.  I love Phillipe's.. just dip once, please is my order.

If you like architecture, you could always eat at the top of that weird building at LAX.  I've never done it.  I hear it's expensive, but it's definitely unique,.

The Original Bob's Big Boy is in Burbank and one night a month they have a classic car show.  I don't know anything about it.  I don't like the food.  It's a designated a California Point of Historical Interest.

Dale is right about El Tepeyac.  Great burrito!  Around the corner from there is Bea and Al's... also a good Mexican stand type place.

At Tito's Tacos have one taco  (I tell them NO cheese)  I think cheese takes away from the taste of the taco.  Also have a regular burrito.  It's a combination of beans, cheese and shredded meat in a red chili sauce.  Yum!  Do not order the enchilada or tamale.  They are awful!

Around the corner from Tito's on Sepulveda is Johnny's Pastrami.  Extremely different than Langer's.  They steam very thin machine cut pastrami and load it into a French roll.  I have mine with Swiss Cheese while munching on their dill pickles.  It's in a great building (I think) from the '40s or '50s.  I've been eating at both Tito's and Johnny's since the '60s.

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 14:41:29 (permalink)
    Me, again.

If you're in Torrance, you're only about 30 minutes away from Knott's Berry Farm.  That's where you'll have a wonderful Fried Chicken Dinner with all the trimmings at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant.  There is a free parking lot and lots of things to look at.

I just decided that Mrs. Knott's is where I'll be having dinner tonight!  YUM!
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 15:11:43 (permalink)
    Just to chime in and reinforce:  Musso & Frank (they serve all afternoon, so you might consider going at an off-hour between regular lunchtime and dinner) and Roscoe's in Hollywood were the places I visited in February, and I loved them both, even though they couldn't be more different in food and atmosphere. Haven't been to Philippe's for several years, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd  definitely go with a double-dip, but that's a matter of personal preference.  The lines can be daunting at regular lunchtime at both Roscoe's and (especially) Philippe's, so again, if you don't like to stand in line (and that sounds like it might be a consideration for you), go at an off-hour.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 15:26:24 (permalink)
    I've never been to  Musso & Frank.  Guess I need to do that.

It's where my father took my mother on their first date...   something I learned a couple of months ago.

I will try a double dip again to see if it was a one time problem.
    Suzy Gruyere
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 17:21:08 (permalink)
    Echoing some of the fine advice already offered:

Banana cream pie at Apple Pan is scrumptious. I've requested it as my birthday "cake" more than once. Langers neighborhood is fine in the daytime, relax. Pann's is just meh but if you do want to experience it the fried chicken is the way to go. Mrs Knott's chicken dinner and boysenberry pie -- yum!!! And a nice little piece of local history too.

Re: The Hat's pastrami, if you crave Langers=style pastrami you will not like Hat pastrami. Hat is fattier. Hat has been successful since 1958 so they must be doing something right in someone's opinion! I believe there is room in this great big wonderful world for both kinds of pastrami. But order Hat with restraint: My nephew gets the pastrami chili fries and I'm not kidding, the order is heaped so high it's the size of a basketball. And he eats every morsel. Dang teenage metabolism...

"that weird looking restaurant at LAX" used to be called the Theme Restaurant and as far as I know it still is. I am looking at it right now, from my 17th floor office down the street. If you are into kitsch and funky architecture you will enjoy it. The menu is of the Tall Food persuasion -- everything is cut on the diagonal and standing at attention on your plate. But that is beside the point. The real reason to go there is to ride the elevator. That's all I'm going to say. :)

Tito's is an "experience," not a culinary high point.

Two quirky and humble recommendations in Torrance: Eat At Rudy's in Old Town Torrance was my favorite breakfast joint when I lived down the street, and on Western Ave there is a bowling alley with a Hawaiian restaurant inside and their bacon fried rice is the best I've ever had.

Jonathan Gold is the local, Pulitzer-winning food critic who focuses on diverse mom-and-pop places. Google will lead you to a wealth of his reviews.

Please do not come to Los Angeles and limit yourself to juice bars in the name of regional roadfood purity. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Los Angeles and surrounding area? 2011/10/07 22:42:45 (permalink)
    Kept to my plan and had an early dinner at…

When we walked in we were asked…  “Senior menu?”  Us… yes!  Neither of us qualify according to the menu, but she offered:

I chose the fried chicken dinner and Sharon chose the Country Fried Steak.

You first get a glass mug of coffee or ice tea followed by hand made biscuits with real butter and small packages of Knott’s jams and jellies.  Following that is a small bowl of rhubarb, a bowl or soup or salad and then your meal which comes with a small bowl of boiled cabbage with bits of ham or canned corn.

The dishes remind me of a school cafeteria.  The wait staff was all women as far as I saw and they were all dressed in gingham dresses with white aprons.  Very efficient with a huge dining room to tend to.

The gravy stood out more on this visit than on any other.  It was very creamy with a hint of a chicken flavor and quite good.  I think they follow Chewey’s recipe.   I added pepper, but I do that to almost everything.

That is all followed by a slice of their famous Boysenberry pie, a slice of apple pie or today a slice of banana cream pie which I forgot to photograph.

The regular menu is about double the senior price but I think you get one extra piece of chicken.  It is not needed!

The food is not spectacular, but it’s comfort food and worth every calorie…. a couple times a year.

Tomorrow I fast!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1