Louis visits Carolina Bob

Author
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
2012/09/22 13:46:55 (permalink)

Louis visits Carolina Bob

Seeing that I had only had one day off this year (back in mid-February when I took a day off to meet the Glee Club at Knockum Hill Bar-B-Q--and I was quickly coming down with a virus), I decided to finally venture out for a day to meet Carolina Bob in Batesville, Indiana for the purpose of exploring a couple of southeastern Indiana restaurants that he took Screaming Chicken (Brad) to a couple of weeks ago.  I was only going to be gone a day from home, so I figured I could manage that.

On my arrival, Bob picked me up at the motel.  I told him to take me to the same places he took Brad.  So on Wednesday night (9-19) he took me to:

Ison's Family Pizza
117 E. George St.
Batesville IN 47006
(812) 933-0333

We each had his favorite offering from this venue: pepperoni pizza.  While I have this thing about not recommending restaurants unless they are worth a 100-mile out-of-your-way drive, this was not a bad pizza.  The very thin crust had flavor all through it.  It was a bit limp when you lifted it, but other than that I can't say anything against it.  Bob says it's the best pizza that he's been able to discover since he's been a resident in southern Indiana.

Bob said that the restaurants we were going to visit the next day were the two best places that an individual could discover concerning the wonders of southeastern Indiana fried chicken.   The first one he took me to was the best (and I'll come to that in a minute).  But the second place he took me to was not too far behind in terms of flavor.  Thursday evening (9-20) he took me to:

Wagner's Village Inn
22171 Main St.
Oldenburg IN 47036
(812) 934-3854

This was, as I understand it, Brad's favorite place when he recently visited Bob.  I had one-half of a very peppery fried chicken.  Indeed, it was much more peppery than any chicken I had ever tasted before.  I enjoyed it.  It was not as flavorful as the fried chicken at the first (and best) restaurant of my short visit, but it is nonetheless worth seeking out if you want to do a culinary study of this dish primarily offered in the five-county corner of southeastern Indiana.

The best place he took me, though, was earlier that morning.  And it was a dilly:

Old Brick Tavern
8969 E. County Rd. 1300 N
Penntown IN 47041
(812) 623-2574

Even though the town is on the map, I don't believe I would have ever found it.  Penntown is barely a town--and town is stretching the word considerably.  But Bob came through with a stunning recommendation!  The chicken they serve here is worth the 100-mile out-of-your-way drive.  Every bit of it!  This is one that you will have to check out for yourself.

Surprisingly, we were the restaurant's only lunchtime customers during our visit.  I only had a leg and a breast, but now I wish I had had an entire chicken!  The chicken is not as peppery as it is at Wagner's, but what it lacks in pepper is more than made up for in flavor that runs all through the chicken.  The flavor was very well balanced in that not one ingredient overwhelms the others.  It was a truly outstanding meal.  And the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere should make roadfood antennas pop up; this was literally a wonderful diamond in the rough.  I hope to come back.

Bob was a gracious, convivial host, and thanks to him I never would have known about this place.  So before Bob leaves southeastern Indiana next spring to head back to Chicago to live, ask him to take you on a fried chicken tour.  You won't be sorry.

post edited by Louis - 2012/09/22 19:33:35

15 Replies Related Threads

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/22 15:15:37 (permalink)
    Glad you had a good time Louis.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/22 16:04:39 (permalink)
    Nice trip and good company! Well done guys!
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/22 20:37:34 (permalink)
    Seemed like a good time...pics would be great next time.  Personally, I am not a fan of peppery chicken..just my taste.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10495
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/24 09:59:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for the nice write up Louis.  Looks like you and CarolinaBob hit some quality spots.  And if the twoof you say that the fried chicken at Old Brick Tavern was that special, then that is good enough for me!

CB-
    Have you thought about writing a Roadfood review?  You certainly write well and take fine photos. 
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5215
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/24 11:00:35 (permalink)
    I'm glad you had the chance to go spend some time with Bob, Louis...he is indeed a fine host.  Bob mentioned Ison's and Old Brick Tavern when I was there 4-1/2 weeks ago but unfortunately I didn't have the time or stomach capacity for any stops other than Wagner's, so I think I'll make the effort to stop at Old Brick Tavern (and Lurton's) when I pass through Indiana next August.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/24 15:31:29 (permalink)
    We're planning to go to the Moonshine on a Saturday in early November.  If anyone wants to join us, make your plans.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8664
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/24 17:59:18 (permalink)
    How wonderful , that new and old friends get together......food sounds good. But even if its not, always a good time! My friends are envious of the friends I have met here........
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/24 23:24:44 (permalink)
    Louis - 
         I'm really glad you enjoyed your visit and your meals here in Hoosierland's southeastern corner. I've heard a lot of great things about the Moonshine Store's burger and I'm looking forward to sampling it in November.

BB -
         Thanks for the compliment, but I'm all too aware of the limits to my writing skills. Are you still thinking about joining Louis and me on our visit to Moonshine?

Besides Wagner's Village Inn, there's another place in Oldenburg that serves really good fried chicken. It's the Brau Haus and they, like Wagner's, serve chicken with the nice black pepper punch that the people of Oldenburg seem to prefer. 

post edited by carolina bob - 2012/09/24 23:32:03
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/25 14:50:30 (permalink)
    CB-
    No, it doesn't look like there is any possibility of joining you for Moonshine Store.  A trip to that area would require me to take a day off of work and it just isn't possible right around then.  Hopefully, you guys will go and give a great report back. 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8664
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/25 16:47:24 (permalink)
    Well, Bob, if you can join us, there is always the Milwaukee tour in October...you too, Louis.!
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/25 18:28:37 (permalink)
    I'd like to, Ann, but right now I just don't know. There's a possibility that an old friend who moved to the west coast a few years ago is going to be in Chicago that weekend. If he is, I can't miss out on his visit as I haven't seen him since he headed west. I should know one way or another by this weekend so we'll see.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5215
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/09/28 09:55:22 (permalink)
    Louis

We're planning to go to the Moonshine on a Saturday in early November.  If anyone wants to join us, make your plans.
    Good advice.  I hear the hotels in Moonshine are booked solid on the weekends.

Start a thread in the "Meet 'n' Greet" forum...
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/10/04 09:39:04 (permalink)
    CarolinaBob sent me some photos and asked if I could post them in this thread.  These are from Old Brick Tavern and he can provide any necessary comments.  Sorry that they are not bigger, but I am working on that.  Man, that chicken really does look good!

Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/10/04 10:29:43 (permalink)
    Thanks, Cliff!  Just looking at those photos makes me want to go again!

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Louis visits Carolina Bob 2012/10/08 23:57:26 (permalink)
    Cliff, thanks for posting those photos of the Old Brick Tavern. It's too bad that they didn't come out full-sized, but they're certainly large enough to give folks an idea of what the place is like. The building, which was built in 1841 ( nineteen years before the outbreak of the Civil War ), is in an out-of-the-way country crossing that, as Louis said, should cause Roadfood antennas to go crazy. The fried chicken may be a bit saltier than most people are used to, but the flavor is fantastic and the crispy crust has a unique texture that I love. In the top picture you see the five wing dinner, which comes with very good crinkle cut fries and tasty cole slaw ( my slaw didn't survive until photo time. ) Besides the great food, there's Kenny the owner who's a good guy and interesting to talk to. Despite the OBT's middle-of-nowhere location, it's easy to get to, as it's only a half mile or so south of I-74 ( take the Sunman / IN Hwy 101 exit south and turn east one "block" south of IN Hwy 46; if you get lost, just ask at the Exxon station. ) I really love this place and can't recommend it highly enough.
    post edited by carolina bob - 2012/10/09 14:42:57
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1