Louisville KY & Indiana Report

Author
mlinkinhoker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
2012/07/28 22:42:47 (permalink)

Louisville KY & Indiana Report

So I really wasn't feeling great and for various reasons we didn't get to the places we wanted to in Louisville.  And come time to drive home I didn't feel like the added 1 1/2 to 2 hours going to Bon Ton Mini Mart and Moonlight BBQ would add (I was a wimp I know).  But I think we found a few new places.

I got into Louisville at rush hour on Thursday and we were staying downtown.  By the time we got back out to eat it was getting late.  We walked up to Fourth Street Live - it's a pretty cool area where they closed off a couple of blocks of the street and put a 'roof' over it.  We didn't know that Louisville had put a No Smoking ban on restaurants recently so we avoided some places that might have been good like Irish pubs.  We wound up at Gordon Biersch Brewery - I know, a chain but surprisingly good.  We ordered the Kobe Cheeseburger and BBQ Chicken Pizza.  The burger was great.  You could smell the beefy flavor before she ever sat it on the table and they buttered and toasted the bun - a detail that makes a burger to me.  And the crust for the pizza was very good because they had given the dough time to develop so it had that really nice yeast flavor.

Friday afternoon after the convention ended, we hit Muth's Candies and got some of the modjeskas, peanut and popcorn brittles.  Then we decided to drive over to Indiana and hit a place we had found near our friends' since they wanted to do one of the BIG chains for supper.  We went 65 and then across through Scottsburg to a little 'community' called Commiskey but we didn't see the place.  I looked up their address and they weren't on the main highway.  It's a DIVE of a place called Lurton's and you won't find it by accident but everyone raved about their pies.  We got there about 2pm so we were the only people there.

The place might scare most people for many reasons - it's old, the building was built in 1870.  They have one of the largest collections of Elvis memorabilia you have ever seen along with a lot of other collectibles in display cases that desperately need a good cleaning.  No tables match, chairs have torn vinyl, well you get the picture but just in case you don't....

Oh and that is a stage on the left side of the picture - where their Elvis impersonator performs.  He even dresses his infant son up to look like Elvis from the pictures we saw.

The food is limited and cheap.  We both got the Alaskan white fish and I liked it but Jeff didn't. Just as he had delivered our freshly cooked food, we asked about the pies and he started listing them off - lemon meringue, chocolate meringue, butterscotch meringue, chocolate peanut butter, and I didn't think I was hearing him right so I asked 3 times the last asking him was he saying zucchini like the squash.  Yep - zucchini pie.  Because we had never heard of it much less had it, he immediately brought us a huge piece wanting us to try it.   It wasn't what we expected not that we knew what to expect.  It as nice sized chunks of zucchini in a custard type pie and it was quite tasty. 

Unfortunately we forgot to take a camera and I just had my cellphone but we were in the middle of nowhere so it was acting up and unfortunately, some of my pictures were lost but I got the important ones..... PIES!!!!  
We settled on the butterscotch GREAT choice but I am not sure there was a bad one after tasting the zucchini pie and the butterscotch.  

There was no doubt that it was FRESH.  He told us his mom gets up every morning and makes I think it was 7 pies each day.  The crust wasn't homemade but it was good.  The filling was so good.  And the meringue, best every.  This wasn't the tough meringue you get most of the time, it wasn't weeping, and it wasn't overly sweet.  What it was  was light as air and sort of melted on your tongue like cotton candy.

That is the zucchini pie in the foreground.

post edited by mlinkinhoker - 2012/07/28 23:21:48

8 Replies Related Threads

mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Louisville KY & Indiana Report 2012/07/28 23:06:46 (permalink)
    Okay - having trouble getting the photos in there.  I'm going to look for what I am doing wrong so photos to come soon as well as the second discovery and a so so place.
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Louisville KY & Indiana Report 2012/07/28 23:39:18 (permalink)
    Part two: Saturday we went back to Scottburg - antiquing/junking is pretty good around here!  Then we drove over to Madison which is on the river and a very old town.  Loved it but prices on antiques/junk a good bit higher on average so we went back to Scottburg.  Decided to eat on the square and we knew our friends said Jeeves & Company was good but it was a 'nicer' and more expensive place and we just didn't feel like that.  We thought they said Hardy's Cafe was good so that is where we went.  One side is bar and smoking and the other is the cafe side, no smoking.  They said they were known for their burger so Jeff ordered that but I decided to order the pork tenderloin sandwich.  The burger was marginal at best but the pork tenderloin sandwich was fair.

We may be going back next weekend to get a table we found and we won't be eating at Hardy's Cafe again.

Sunday morning we got up and headed out around noon.  I had looked up some places in Louisville and saw they had a Germantown and I love German food.  But we just wanted to hit the road so we didn't eat lunch but I talked Jeff into at least going to a bakery that I heard had the best donuts in Louisville - Nord's.  It's a winner.  

Louisville's Germantown is not the 'best' neighborhood it looks like but the area right around Nord's seems to be picking up and becoming a hip little neighborhood.  The minute we saw it we both said that it looks like Schuler's in Springfield, OH, Jeff's home town and his favorite bakery.

One step inside and he exclaimed that it even looked and smelled like Schuler's.

Everyone said the donuts are the best in town but they also raved about their cookies - and they were so pretty that it was hard to believe they would be good because most pretty cookies in bakeries seem to disappoint. 

So except for them not having skim milk for Jeff, it was a perfect bakery!  We stopped two places before we hit the interstate and still no skim milk.  We stopped a little further down the road in Shepardsville and still no skim milk.  We had a late lunch in Bowling Green and tried once again to find skim milk.  NO SKIM MILK!  Can anybody tell us why there was no skim milk in Kentucky?
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Louisville KY & Indiana Report 2012/07/30 08:54:20 (permalink)
    Next time I'm in Louisville I'm definitely looking for Nord's and going to Scottsboro as well.  Excellent recommendations!!
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re:Louisville KY & Indiana Report 2012/07/30 11:44:05 (permalink)
    Those pies look righteous!  And the meringue sounds interesting--I'd love to know what they do differently!  Of course, freshness makes a big difference, too.  Great pics!  :)
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Louisville KY & Indiana Report 2012/07/30 12:28:44 (permalink)
    Nice report, I love the inside of that cafe. So downhome and comfy looking! THe prices are pretty good too!
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Louisville KY & Indiana Report 2012/07/30 21:05:28 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster is going to be in Montgomery Alabama this weekend, but after looking at those pies he may change his mind.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5215
    Re:Louisville KY & Indiana Report 2012/09/03 14:10:05 (permalink)
    mlinkinhoker

It's a DIVE of a place called Lurton's and you won't find it by accident but everyone raved about their pies.
    When I was in Indiana about a week and a half ago one of my lunch companions specifically mentioned Lurton's as a place worth visiting, so I'm already planning a stop next year.

Brad
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Louisville KY & Indiana Report 2013/05/19 21:02:53 (permalink)
    Screaming Chicken - Lurton's is a must for the pie!  We went back through about a month after this trip only to find it closed on Mondays.  We learned our lesson because we have been dying for their pie ever since.

We are heading to see mother-in-law in Brighton, MI for Memorial Day weekend as her health is declining, I have time since I was laid off in April, and hubby has time and a long weekend.  Anyway, first thing I did when he decided we would go was to look at the maps and see if I could find a way to detour and go to Lurton's.  So we are deliberately detouring a little out of our way to go have dinner with his childhood best friend in Scottsville, IN and then to Lurton's in Commisky before heading on up.  I already called them tonight to make sure they are open and hours - 6am until 9pm, 10pm on weekends.  Told the sweet lady I would call her later this week to place an order for whole pies to carry up with us.  She was so excited when I told her how we have detoured several times to come there and that her pies are the best we have ever had.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1