Louisville, KY and environs

Author
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
2003/03/28 11:24:05 (permalink)

Louisville, KY and environs

I'm going to Louisville in a couple of weeks (for "Thunder"). I know about Cunningham's, but would appreciate any other suggestions from those in the know.

7 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Louisville, KY and environs 2003/03/28 17:00:54 (permalink)
    Hi Pilar,
    We live just out of town on the Indiana side of the River. Thunder is fun, but I am not one to enjoy the madhouse of the crowds, so we watch from a city park downriver a bit. When you say you want food...give me some guidelines. There are some great roadfood places in and around Louisville. And depending on how far out you want to go the selection gets better. 2 hours west is the MOONLITE BBQ in Owensboro, that's where we take our visitors for a buffet of BBQ that will satisfy almost everyone. (See the review)
    We have a full review of Genny's Diner in for approval. When Stephen gets that on the list, take a look at it. In New Albany, IN just across the river from Louisville, try the South Side Cafeteria at 114 Main St.
    If you like Whole Wheat Pizza, Rocky's Pizza in Jeffersonville, IN right on the river next to the Interstate Bridge..don't go on the day of Thunder as the place is selling space for the show only...
    Tell me of your likes and dislikes and I will try to add to the list.
    For you who wonder what the hell THUNDER is.... It is Thunder over Louisville, the (claims the CofC)Largest Airshow and Fireworks Display in the U S A. It is the opening event for the two weeks of "Derby Festival" a series of events leading up to the running of the 129th Kentucky Derby.
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Louisville, KY and environs 2003/03/28 17:07:58 (permalink)
    Al,

Those are great recommendations ... they're just the kind of thing I'm looking for (in answer to your query about my preferences). We're staying at a Motel in Brooks, KY, and will be delighted to view the spectacle from whatever vantage-point we can find. I saw the event 4 years ago, and DEFINITELY recommend it to fireworks junkies.
    We fly in on Thursday, and leave on Sunday, so we won't have a lot of time, but Friday is completely open, and we'd like to do some regional exploration. We're also looking for the best flea market to visit on Sunday AM.

Thanks!

Pilar
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Louisville, KY and environs 2003/03/28 17:32:31 (permalink)
    OK That helps, If you plan to eat the noon or later meal on Sunday, after a flea Market Stop Then I recommend the Claudia Saunders Dinner House In Shelbyville KY. I did a review for this board on it recently. The Simpsonville Flea market is located at exit (#28) of I-64 where you would get off to got Saunder's Place anyway. Got to the flea market in the morning, then lunch at Saunders..and head for the airport. Remember SDF is much easier to deal with than LAX !!
    The South Side is a bit run-down looking but the cafeteria is busy and not very expensive. Open Lunch and Dinner. For a very good breakfast try Lynn's Paradise Cafe in L-ville. See the reviews on this site for more info on some of these places.
    I am a transplanted SOCAL person(High Desert), so I appreciate the trip you are making. It is Worth It!!
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Louisville, KY and environs 2003/03/28 17:56:27 (permalink)
    I'd already printed out your review of the Claudia Saunders Dinner House, and it is high on the list. I also appreciate the guidance toward the Simpsonville flea market.
    What took from SoCal to Indiana (and what are you the mayor of)?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Louisville, KY and environs 2003/03/28 18:48:52 (permalink)
    Contact me off the boards and I will share the story of the move..hehehe Bowenaj@aol.com
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Louisville, KY and environs 2003/04/17 10:06:15 (permalink)
    Pilar,
    Did you make it to Thunder?? I am anxious to hear how you made out with the trip and the food=search??
    AL
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Louisville, KY and environs 2003/04/17 14:22:08 (permalink)
    Al - Unfortunately, I got the flu and had to cancel the trip (lost my non-refundable place tickets, too)! Thanks for checking up on me, though. How was the show?

Pilar
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1