Louisville vs. Indianapolis: which has the best restaurants?

Author
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1078
2014/07/22 09:53:59 (permalink)

Louisville vs. Indianapolis: which has the best restaurants?

As a native of Indianapolis and a frequent visitor to the Bluegrass state, I found this blog entry fascinating.

http://www.urbanophile.com/2014/07/21/why-does-louisville-have-better-restaurants-than-indianapolis/

It's also pretty controversial. The author's conclusions about the "character" of the two cities (and states) are interesting, though I wouldn't agree that Indiana considers education suspect.  I had an excellent K-12 education in the Washington Township public schools that stacks up against any, I think.  Of course, I left Indiana to go to college at Northwestern, but still . . .

Although the author punts on the issue of mediocrity in Minnesota, I personally think that's more of an issue here in Minnesota than it is in Indiana. There are pockets of excellence here, certainly.  But I've also noticed a troubling complacency when things don't work right -- for example, snow removal in the winter.  The attitude seems to be, "well, they're trying their best," and that's seemingly more important than whether they actually get the job done.

Anyway, have at it!

5 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    Re: Louisville vs. Indianapolis: which has the best restaurants? 2014/07/22 11:00:15 (permalink)
    I have a little bit of stake in this. I grew up in the inner city of Indianapolis through the 8th grade. I was well acquainted with the very low income groups, was in the first integrated classroom in Indianapolis yet the the prejudices were more directed to white Kentucky immigrants in my neighborhood surrounded by industrial plants, railroads and the stockyards. It was actually the Appalachian Kentuckians that came and by all appearance and behavior were the first generation outside their isolated region. They were coming to Indianapolis for opportunity. It was an experience. Saying that, my grandfather was from the Fort Knox area south of Louisville and my family traced back to the first Kentucky settlers in the 18th Century. Then I went to the University of Cincinnati, a stint in the Navy and now have been in Minnesota for 44 years. We basically decided after the Navy to go to my mother-in-law's hometown of Excelsior after my wife grew up in New Jersey, California and Ohio. It was as good as place as any decision at the time. I was not enamored with Ohio and she was not of Indianapolis. Excelsior last Saturday. The little town of 2,400 on Lake Minnetonka has 18 eating and drinking establishments now.

I don't really know much about Louisville other than spending 3 days downtown for a wedding in 2006. I scoured the downtown for restaurants and was not all that impressed. The catered wedding reception in the Muhammad Ali Center was the best thing going. To me it was just another middle America middle size city with a once per year premier event. My usual focus in Kentucky outside that few days has been more roadfood and regional food seeking not chef driven fine dining. In that regard I am rarely disappointed.

Indianapolis is indeed chain city. When people ask about restaurants in some other food forums I frequent the first thing that pops up are Oceanaire and Palomino. As much as I exhort my sister and brother-in-law to look outside the chain it seems I am beating my head against the wall. I have achieved some success with the device of using the pursuit of the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich as a way to look beyond. On our last visit I felt I had made headway. My sister found this place.

Rumaki, Snow removal is an inner city Minneapolis/St. Paul problem with narrow streets and cars parked curbside. That's an impossible problem to solve. It will, however, always be a source of contention and discussion. That's human nature that goes along with the fact that no matter what there will always be a percentage of people who will botch up the works of snow clearing by not following parking rules or because there is really no physical way to get cars off the streets. My little community of Tonka Bay has 8 miles of roads and will be clear plowed by 6 AM. The county and state usually do a good job as well. My old commute route winding around Lake Minnetonka on County roads 19 and 15 (Shoreline Dr) to Wayzata were always clear plowed by the time I headed for work.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    Re: Louisville vs. Indianapolis: which has the best restaurants? 2014/07/22 11:16:25 (permalink)
    Rumaki,

I've been following your bit of fame analyzing the Jesse Ventura trial in the news media. You have become the go to person in the Twin Cities on such matters which means you are doing a pretty good job.

For others, Jesse Ventura is in a trial suing the Chris Kyle (American Sniper) estate for a comment in Kyle's book that he decked Old Scruff Face in a San Diego bar. Scruff Face was later identified as Jesse Ventura on Bill O'Reilly's Fox News show. Chris Kyle is dead now so the suit is now against his widow and two children. If the news reporting in the Minneapolis Star Tribune is a fair representation I would be shocked if a jury awarded Ventura. But then again we elected the guy governor. So nothing is impossible. That must be what that blog author meant by not fully grok the culture.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1078
    Re: Louisville vs. Indianapolis: which has the best restaurants? 2014/07/22 11:22:47 (permalink)
    Aw, shucks, Davydd!  Typical Minnesota (Midwestern?) understatement.  But thanks.

No way to predict what the jury will do. As I told the guy at the Star Tribune (but which he didn't use), the dueling witnesses (who variously claim the fight didn't take place, did take place but not as Kyle described it, etc.) remind me of the classic Japanese movie, Rashomon.  Getting to the "truth" here will be difficult when the ostensible author is no longer living.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re: Louisville vs. Indianapolis: which has the best restaurants? 2014/07/24 21:28:08 (permalink)
    Well the discussion kinda wandered off a bit, but I'm going to try to steer it back if you fellows don't mind. I have an interest in both "Ports" listed here...and the corridor of constant construction that you like to call I-65.
    I live on the fringes of Louisville - about 15 miles from the heart of the City, on the Indiana side of the Ohio River. Back in the 1980's I was an Administrator for a branch of the Vocational College System here at this end of the State. My job required me to commute to the College Central Offife in INDY (Downtown) 2 days a week almost every week of the regular academic year.  I say this to let you know I learned a lot about INDY and where to eat on a 'State-Per-Diem" meal allowance over those years.

Since our retirement in 2000 both communities have changed dramactically. Population demogrphics are changing the color of various parts of the cities as Latino groups that were invisible 20 years ago now make up a sizeable minority, as do various Asian and other Third-World Cultures. All of these groups have brought their food with them and in both cities one can now find good examples of food from such places as Ethiopia and the Philippines that was NOT present  a generation back.

In Louisville, The downtown area around the new Sports Arena is exploding with Nightlife, in the form of Bars and restaurants and other entertainment  designed to attract  and hold the tourist and convention dollar in "City-Center".  INDY has much the same pattern, only it is larger and better developed/ Having an NFL and NBA franchise based in INDY is a big draw for income production activities...all the food stands can make a buck when the Colts look good.
    LOUISVILLE must rely on the NCAA for their version of that sort of support.

If I were to score the cities at this time (2014) I would give the nod to INDY based on the volume of traffic and the variety of places over a wide area that visitors may choose from. Louisville is not far behind, and offers some possibilities that INDY does not..... but just by the numbers Indy gets the prize now... Come back in 4 years...I will almost bet the ranking will change, Louisville (and the local Indiana communities) are on a roll !!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re: Louisville vs. Indianapolis: which has the best restaurants? 2014/07/24 21:28:08 (permalink)
    Well the discussion kinda wandered off a bit, but I'm going to try to steer it back if you fellows don't mind. I have an interest in both "Ports" listed here...and the corridor of constant construction that you like to call I-65.
    I live on the fringes of Louisville - about 15 miles from the heart of the City, on the Indiana side of the Ohio River. Back in the 1980's I was an Administrator for a branch of the Vocational College System here at this end of the State. My job required me to commute to the College Central Offife in INDY (Downtown) 2 days a week almost every week of the regular academic year.  I say this to let you know I learned a lot about INDY and where to eat on a 'State-Per-Diem" meal allowance over those years.

Since our retirement in 2000 both communities have changed dramactically. Population demogrphics are changing the color of various parts of the cities as Latino groups that were invisible 20 years ago now make up a sizeable minority, as do various Asian and other Third-World Cultures. All of these groups have brought their food with them and in both cities one can now find good examples of food from such places as Ethiopia and the Philippines that was NOT present  a generation back.

In Louisville, The downtown area around the new Sports Arena is exploding with Nightlife, in the form of Bars and restaurants and other entertainment  designed to attract  and hold the tourist and convention dollar in "City-Center".  INDY has much the same pattern, only it is larger and better developed/ Having an NFL and NBA franchise based in INDY is a big draw for income production activities...all the food stands can make a buck when the Colts look good.
    LOUISVILLE must rely on the NCAA for their version of that sort of support.

If I were to score the cities at this time (2014) I would give the nod to INDY based on the volume of traffic and the variety of places over a wide area that visitors may choose from. Louisville is not far behind, and offers some possibilities that INDY does not..... but just by the numbers Indy gets the prize now... Come back in 4 years...I will almost bet the ranking will change, Louisville (and the local Indiana communities) are on a roll !!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1