The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Loveless Cafe Sold

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 67
Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sat, 01/3/04 8:10 PM (permalink)
Great response, Al.
I'm beginning to see why you're the mayor.
The thing is...newbies here aren't necessarily new to food. At the same time, Old-timers haven't run out of things to contribute to the conversation...and that's the key. Nobody here has had the experiences that I have had, and I have not the experience of others. When we pool our knowledge, we all benefit.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
    RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sun, 01/4/04 5:36 AM (permalink)
    With the countdown getting close for the temporary closing of The Loveless Café, I’ve been thinking of a sentimental visit before the doors are locked. The news articles Paul and Pogo reported on said the restaurant will close this month for upgrade work to the kitchen, and expansion of the seating area.

I phoned this afternoon and the senior person on duty told me they have no definite closing date as of now. She said staff has been told the café will stay open until work on the building next door is complete. She really seemed to have no idea when the 3 month closing will take place.

The new owners are operating the café, and I was told no changes have been made as of this date.

Here are the Café’s current operating hours:

Sunday through Thursday 8 AM to 8 PM
    Friday and Saturday 8 AM to 9 PM

The popular Loveless Cafe breakfasts are available all the time, but the staff person said it’s best to order breakfast between 9 AM and noon, and then after 3:30 PM, as they’re pretty busy getting lunch food out between noon and 3 PM (Loveless fried chicken time).

So, that’s the latest. If I should get down there (a 4.5 hour drive each way), I’ll file a breathless report.

The Loveless Café is about 45 minute west of Nashville, on Tennessee highway 100. Their phone number is 615-646-9700.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
      RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sun, 01/4/04 5:55 AM (permalink)
      JimInKY, pick me up over on your way there. I'll buy! It sounds great!!

Lisa

Poverty Pete

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sun, 01/4/04 9:15 PM (permalink)
        Jim,
        With a little advance notice, I could get over there just about any day of the week. Sounds like a good time. Last I heard, they were planning to close around the middle of Jan.

JimInKy

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sun, 01/4/04 10:23 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Jim,
          With a little advance notice, I could get over there just about any day of the week. Sounds like a good time. Last I heard, they were planning to close around the middle of Jan.

That's an offer I certainly welcome. I had already thought of yelling at you the moment I was clear about plans. I've been thinking of combining this visit with a jaunt on to Memphis or Huntsville to see a friend (she divides time between the two cities), and spoke with her tonight. She's leaving in the morning for Florida for a week. We'll talk again in a little while to see if a visit will work next weekend. So, my plans are still up in the air, though I feel the time for visiting Loveless is running out fast. I'll email you just as soon as I know something. Thanks, Pete.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
            RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Tue, 01/6/04 1:56 PM (permalink)
            It's too bad they won't be renovating the motel back into its original state. I would love to have that ham within walking distance.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
              RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Tue, 01/6/04 3:41 PM (permalink)
              My impression was that they are renovating the motel---and that they were going to keep it much the same as origianl---at least thats what we were told by the waitstaff back onDec 21st.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 890
                RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Wed, 01/7/04 12:40 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by JimInKy

The popular Loveless Cafe breakfasts are available all the time, but the staff person said it’s best to order breakfast between 9 AM and noon, and then after 3:30 PM, as they’re pretty busy getting lunch food out between noon and 3 PM (Loveless fried chicken time).

While I'm sure the waitperson meant well, the only time to get to the Loveless (assuming you want breakfast and that you are there on a weekend) is right at 8AM -- unless you just have a love of waiting for a table. This is a very small place that serves a lot of people on the weekend. If you show up at 9AM on a Saturday morning you'll typically be cooling your heels for at least 45 minutes...

Art Deco

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Wed, 01/7/04 12:47 PM (permalink)
                  As to the other issue, I have no problem with newbies whatsoever. My comment to clothier was a reaction to his post (which was simply a lame attempt at humor) in the middle of what was otherwise a serious thread. I do not mind such posts in the appropriate place, and most boards of this type have a forum for such posts. On this site that would be, IMHO, the Miscellaneous forum. NOT the Roadfood News forum.

JimInKy

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Wed, 01/7/04 3:58 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by pogophiles

quote:
                    Originally posted by JimInKy

While I'm sure the waitperson meant well, the only time to get to the Loveless (assuming you want breakfast and that you are there on a weekend) is right at 8AM -- unless you just have a love of waiting for a table. This is a very small place that serves a lot of people on the weekend. If you show up at 9AM on a Saturday morning you'll typically be cooling your heels for at least 45 minutes...

Thank you so much for making me aware of the seating situation, mister pogo. That means a lot.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Wed, 01/7/04 5:32 PM (permalink)
                      January 25th we will begin Our Winter of'04 Historic Re-enactment of the Journey's of Lewis and Clark, Zeb. Pike, Kit Carson and John Fremont, Father Serra, Brigham Young, Chief Joseph, the Oakies of the Depression Era, Davy Crockett defending the Alamo, The Discovery of Gold at Sutter's Fort, The chasing of trains on the Union Pacific, and any other event that took place in the past 200 years between Here (the Falls of the Ohio- where Lewis first met Clark and got the group started that was noted above) and There... whereever that turns out to be in Oregon.
                      One of the inital way-points of the trip happened on the Natchez Trace a short distance from the Loveless Cafe. That is where Meriwether Lewis met his untimely demise. What better way to pay our respects than with a native chicken dinner at that historic spot.
                      Does anyone have an updated estimate for the date of the closure? We will pass by on Sunday the 25th about mid-morning.

BTW- We will regale you with tales of wonder as we make this epic journey. You will learn of McDuff's efforts to deepen the Grand Canyon in order to bury some important bones... and How Bushie is really the unsung hero of the Alamo. Stay Tuned

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                        RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Thu, 01/8/04 5:35 PM (permalink)
                        Amen, Route 11. What is a greater online gift than to be able to experience good food, levity and a sense of enduring friendship? I've been on well over 200 forums online in my online experience, mostly those of the computer nerd and arts and literature garden variety. Most of these forums eventually fold because of intolerance for minor disagreements and issues. We're all different, we all learn from one another and are enriched from one another. That's what makes this medium so mind boggling, the differences that actually meld us together. I love to sit and read the snarky adventures of clothier, i95, lleechef, eliset and others as much as I like hearing the historical backgrounds, foodstuff preparation, the travels and opinions of stalwarts such as Sundancer, The Mayor, Jim in KY and so on. I love reading most of you period, for whatever what reason. It's the exchange of ideas and habits and traditions and customs in a topic that affects every human on this ol' planet....food. Embrace the differences and enjoy, my friends........

And NOOOOOOOOOO Grampy.........you still will not convince me of the virtues of cauliflower

JimInKy

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sat, 01/10/04 6:16 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen
                          Does anyone have an updated estimate for the date of the closure? We will pass by on Sunday the 25th about mid-morning.

Al, I phoned The Loveless a week ago today and the person I spoke with could not provide a closing date and wouldn't hazard a guess. She said the cafe will close for remodeling when works concludes on the mail order building next door. You'll just have to phone 615-646-9700 for the latest. I sure hope you make it in time; I hope I do too.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                            RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sat, 01/10/04 3:44 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by redtressed

And NOOOOOOOOOO Grampy.........you still will not convince me of the virtues of cauliflower

Grampy and others:
                            We really do need to educate this lass on the virtues of the noble cauliflower.

JimInKy

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sun, 01/11/04 1:14 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by lleechef

Grampy and others:
                              We really do need to educate this lass on the virtues of the noble cauliflower.

Amen. Embrace the cauliflower and be at one with it.

Cauliflower, like tofu and potatoes begs for seasoning. Lots of salt, butter, and black pepper works well for me. Or a curry sauce. You can easily and perfectly steam large cauliflower in a combination rice cooker/steamer. This is how I prepare it these days. I then remove the floweretts to a large bowl and add dollops of real butter, salt and pepper, grinding the pepper somewhat coursely.

redtressed

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sun, 01/11/04 3:23 AM (permalink)
                                C'mere Jim......flicks you in the middle of the forehead....Don't you start too!

Sundancer7

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sun, 01/11/04 4:26 AM (permalink)
                                  Actually the cauliflower is the mainstay of the Atkins thing as it is a great substitute for mashed potatoes. I steam it and puree it and add butter, salt and pepper. It ain't the same but is pretty good.

Paul E. Smith
                                  Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
                                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sun, 01/11/04 5:48 AM (permalink)
                                    Ahhhh, Cauliflower, that snowball of a veggie!! Like Grits, Cheesey topping helps bring out the somewhat bland flavor.But for me it is best as a dip carrier--served raw in small chunks with your favorite shrimp/clam dip.
                                    We tried growing it in our desert home in SoCal but it got sunburned brutally each time, so we gave up.
                                    Red- Ya gotta get past these out-moded predjudices...Even Chuck Yeager likes Cauliflower. You can't be a loyal Mountaineer and not be willing to "Break Them White Heads" with Good Old Chuckie.

tiki

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Sun, 01/11/04 6:00 AM (permalink)
                                      Personally. I like my cauliflouer steamed and then marinated in a vinegret with some onion and maybe some lightly steamed carrots and a splash of red pepper flakes---killer salad! Go on and give it a try!

Art Deco

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Mon, 01/12/04 12:23 AM (permalink)
                                        No, no, no -- you're going about it all wrong with the steaming. Cauliflower needs to have moisture removed in order to concentrate the flavor. Steaming just makes it bland. Cut your cauliflower into thin slices (1/4" or so), drizzle it with olive oil, salt it, and roast it in a 400 degree oven (turning it with a spatula every 15 minutes or so) until it begins to brown and has shrunk somewhat (be careful when you open the oven door as a lot of steam is given off). This is the best way I have ever eaten cauliflower. Try it!!

redtressed

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Mon, 01/12/04 3:33 AM (permalink)
                                          To ALL OF THE ABOVE...........ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiki

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Mon, 01/12/04 7:49 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by pogophiles

No, no, no -- you're going about it all wrong with the steaming. Cauliflower needs to have moisture removed in order to concentrate the flavor. Steaming just makes it bland. Cut your cauliflower into thin slices (1/4" or so), drizzle it with olive oil, salt it, and roast it in a 400 degree oven (turning it with a spatula every 15 minutes or so) until it begins to brown and has shrunk somewhat (be careful when you open the oven door as a lot of steam is given off). This is the best way I have ever eaten cauliflower. Try it!!

Sounds good---will try it--but i still like my salad

Art Deco

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Mon, 01/12/04 11:07 AM (permalink)
                                              Forgot to mention, cooking time on the roasted cauliflower will be somewhere in the 30 - 45 minutes range, depending on how thinly you slice the cauliflower and the size of your baking sheet (in other words, a thinly-sliced single layer will take less time than thicker or piled-up slices). Thin, single-layer slices is the way to go...

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                                RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Mon, 01/12/04 11:20 AM (permalink)
                                                Thanks a bunch for the caulifower tip, Pogo! I've never had it that way; sounds deee-lish!

Art Deco

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Mon, 01/12/04 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                                  You're welcome, Bushie -- this is currently our favorite vegetable dish!!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                                    RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Mon, 01/12/04 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                                    I think one of the reasons this forum has such a sense of camraderie is that in our love of good food of all kinds, especially of the roadfood kind, we are all of a kindred spirit. Any any time you gather for the sharing of good food, the company and conversation are what make for the good times.

I do not think there is any room on this forum for the mean-spirited posts I read above, or for attacks on the character of a person you do not even know. There are plenty of other forums where you can induldge in that kind of behavior to your hearts content.

The roadfood forum has been made up of a lot of good natured and good hearted people, and I would hate to see it be "regulated" to death.

Rhodes

• Total Posts: 281
                                                      RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Mon, 01/12/04 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                                      I'm going to make that too - sounds great. As far as the rest of the thread find this group a good mixture of information and friendly chatting, I always appreciate levity in almost any context, and I really need to go to Nashville!!

Poverty Pete

• Location: Nashville, TN
                                                        RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Fri, 02/6/04 6:27 PM (permalink)
                                                        The local newspaper said that Loveless will be closing after breakfast this coming Sunday, Feb. 8, 2004. There was no mention as to how long it would be down.

Sundancer7

RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Fri, 02/6/04 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                                          The Mayor indicated that he would stop there on his way west. I wonder if he did. Too bad I missed it before it closed.

Paul E. Smith
                                                          knoxville, TN

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                                            • Location: Round Rock, TX
                                                            RE: Loveless Cafe Sold Fri, 02/6/04 9:05 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Sundancer7

The Mayor indicated that he would stop there on his way west. I wonder if he did. Too bad I missed it before it closed.

Mr. and Mrs. Mayor DID stop to eat there on their way out. He'll be reporting on that in his trip thread.

I also wish I could have eaten there one more time before they closed. It was not to be, but we'll just hope for the best...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 67

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com