Low Alcohol Beers ...

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
2008/08/27 11:22:02 (permalink)

Low Alcohol Beers ...

I enjoy a well poured Guinness at lunch, in part because it is low on alcohol. Now this on the low alcohol trend:

August 27, 2008
The Other Extreme: Low-Alcohol Beers
By Betsey Andrews

KELLY TAYLOR was tired of the limited choices of beers he found at bars: either insipid lightweights or staggering powerlifters.

“There was no middle road,” he said. “We wanted to make beer where you could have a few and not have to go take a nap.” ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/dining/27beer.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

22 Replies Related Threads

WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/08/27 11:33:46 (permalink)
    I've always gotten a chuckle out of the amazingly common misperception that the color of a beer is somehow meaningful to it's strength. and guinness is an excellent example of a very dark stout which is mild in flavor and lower on the alcohol scale that much of what is out there.
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/08/27 12:12:19 (permalink)
    While there are numerous other quality low alcohol beers available from many USA micro breweries, ( check out many of the "summer" beers ), I admire Kelly for attempting to find a niche in the beer market.
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/08/27 12:51:29 (permalink)
    The draught Guinness is all 4.2 abv, no matter where you purchase it. The bottled USA Guinness is 6.0 abv because it is in fact Guinness Extra Stout.

http://www.ivo.se/guinness/specs.html
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/08/27 12:59:04 (permalink)
    Guinness has a very wide range of alcohol content.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/209

most of what's commonly available here being 4.2, the lower end of the spectrum.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/08/27 13:44:20 (permalink)
    Interesting about the Guinness ... I VERY MUCH prefer the on tap version ... It never occurred to me that the bottles or cans would be different.

And, as I think about it, I still enjoyed the beers in UK far more than anything in USA, probably because of the lower alcohol content (and of course far fewer bubbles).
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/08/28 08:01:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Interesting about the Guinness ... I VERY MUCH prefer the on tap version ... It never occurred to me that the bottles or cans would be different.

It's not so much a matter of the tap Guinness being a different ABV than bottles or cans, but that, in the US, there are two separate beers- Guinness Draught- available in kegs, "widget" bottles and cans and Guinness Extra Stout- available in bottles, brewed in Canada by either Labatt or Moosehead (depending on region and bottle size, apparently).

Just as there is no one "Campbell Soup", there is no one "Guinness Stout"- some estimates put the number of different variations around the world (many contract-brewed) at 17-19.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/09 11:46:42 (permalink)
    quote:

There was no middle road,” he said. “We wanted to make beer where you could have a few and not have to go take a nap.” ...

Let me add to that, "and not offend the gout gods". Sadly, I have had to make friends with NA beer more and more often.
    This was forced upon me when I found that gout is most definitely not compatable with polka festivals and beer.

Once upon a time the only NA beer was something called "Zing" ... seems nearly no one remembers it though.
    Now there's lots of great choices.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/09 11:50:40 (permalink)
    I've never met a low alchol(or for that matter,light beer) that tasted like the real thing...if anyone can name one that is as good as the real thing,I'm taking suggestions! Thanks.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/09 11:52:00 (permalink)
    quote:

And, as I think about it, I still enjoyed the beers in UK far more than anything in USA, probably because of the lower alcohol content (and of course far fewer bubbles).

I'll agree...of all the beers I've tasted...and in 62 years that's a lot...I think the British make the BEST beers,generally for my taste....Try Samuel Smith!!!!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/09 12:40:17 (permalink)
    I agree the British beers are superb.

I very much enjoyed them when I was last across the pond ... Cellar temperature. Hand pulled.

Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/09 12:44:23 (permalink)
    A few things that can be mixed with Kalibur to make a more interesting drink ... if you tend to like beer with these sorts of additions:

tomato juice
    clam juice
    tabasco sc
    worcestershir sc
    also
    very strong black coffee

leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/09 15:37:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by flyseye

quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

I've never met a low alchol(or for that matter,light beer) that tasted like the real thing...if anyone can name one that is as good as the real thing,I'm taking suggestions! Thanks.

Did you read the article Gregg posted ? There are several suggestions in it. Most of this thread is taken up with talk about Guinness, another lower alcohol beer.That doesn't count with you ?

I could name off many others, but before I waste my time I would like to know what, in your opinion, is the " real thing ".

If British beers are it for you, the British probably make more low alcohol beers than any other nation ( like Gregg has already pointed out ). Check BeerAdvocate, or RateBeer. Or perhaps just try Samuel Smiths " Dark Mild " at 3.5 ABV.Or their Tadcaster Bitter, at 3.8 abv.

Thanks...and Guinness does count...I was asking for people's opinions here...not the article's opinions. I value roadfooders here and there opnions...I checked,I can't find a Sam. Smith mild around here!
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/10 12:57:00 (permalink)
    Lee, if you are really interested in finding low alcohol beers, go sign up at beeradvocate.com. It is free. They have a pretty good message board, simply start a thread about it. You will get lots of replies.

While I love beer, low alcohol ones are not really my area, otherwise I would try and offer you more suggestions. I know Germany, surprisingly, makes some good ones, as well as Britain, and even the USA. Good luck.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/10 13:56:18 (permalink)
    Thanks so much Flyseye for the link...will do so!
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/10 14:43:53 (permalink)
    No problem Lee. If you do not want to sign up on the site, and if this is something that really interests you, let me know, and I will start a thread for you on BeerAdvocate asking the question.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/11 15:07:22 (permalink)
    I do not like Guinness that is brewed in Canada, Is it the water? But the Guinness brewed in Dublin/St. James gate is delicious but I can't find it in the states anymore. I had to give up Guinness.

A great brewery with all kinds of Beers and Ales is Anderson Valley:

http://www.avbc.com/

jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2008/09/12 15:40:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by santacruz

I do not like Guinness that is brewed in Canada, Is it the water? But the Guinness brewed in Dublin/St. James gate is delicious but I can't find it in the states anymore. I had to give up Guinness.

According to all reports (including the Guinness website), in the US "Guinness Draught", available in kegs, in the "widget" cans and the "widget" bottles are all brewed in Ireland.

In the US, the bottled "Guinness Extra Stout" (a different brew than the "Draught') comes from Canada. Here on the East Coast, the 12 ounce bottles are from Moosehead, the 24 ounce bottles are from Labatt. I have heard the sources may be different on the West Coast (a Labatt brewery in Western Canada IIRC). Supposedly, GES from Canada is made by adding something called "Guinness Essence" (a sort of condensed, non-alcoholic Guinness syrup made at the St. James brewery) to a base beer.

For current (and one obsolete) labels, see http://jesskidden.googlepages.com/guinnessinamerica2

Do the California "Guinness Draught" labels actually say "Canada"? Diageo, brewer of Guinness, is not very forthcoming about their arrangement with InBev's Labatt and the indie Moosehead in Canada.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2009/01/21 08:18:18 (permalink)
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2009/01/21 10:33:13 (permalink)
    Yep...and note except for a Sam Adams brew, they are all from microbreweries.....America sure can make a great beer,like any other country...just not Bud,Miller, Coors etc....and I didn't notice a "lite"(watered) beer in the bunch!!!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6374
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2009/01/21 11:17:51 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

On the other hand, I just found this site:
    http://www.mybadpad.com/fun-stuff/55-beers-that-will-knock-you-flat-on-your-ass

That reminds me. Bell's Hopslam ale should be available now and I need to go out and get some. I hope my local Excelsior Vintage store is stocking it again this year.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2009/01/21 14:55:51 (permalink)
    leethebard

You may think I'm crazy but try Milwaukee's Best N/A, better than Kaliber IMHO!

crew84row
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 174
    RE: Low Alcohol Beers ... 2009/02/12 12:34:37 (permalink)
    Anyone ever had Bucklers? 

Made by Heinkein, I believe.  Cruise we're going on has it and O'Douls as their N/A selections.  Since it's priced a bit cheaper than Sam Adams, thought I might give it a try.

Also thinking about just hiding a bunch of Dales Pale and Gordons cans in a cola carry 12 pack box.  But let's not hijack the thread on that topic.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1