Hot!Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7776
Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/03/03 08:00:09 (permalink)
I was trying to figure out a way to squeeze in some recommendations , specifically by Kozel, Glenn1234 and Ed Face
I'll skip the  Cheese steak at my layover in Philly  (besides how good could Airport Cheese steak be?) I'll consider a late lunch (even though I'll be starving by then) at either the Fredericksburg outpost of Dixie Bones or  Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Williamsburg- depending on which direction I head.
I really wanted to check out Kings BBQ and thought about skipping breakfast at McLean's, however as it turns out, Kings BBQ is closed on Monday  and that's the day I'm going to be in Petersburg

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/03/10 09:02:07 (permalink)
It appears The Wayside is in no rush to add their classic signature dishes back on to their menu, with hotels few and far between in Cape Charles and reservation websites warning me that there are only "5 rooms left" I decided to go to to Sting Ray's instead, therefore I won't be hitting Lowery's Seafood
-
Since I hardly ever plan in advance it looks like this is going to be my itinerary
Saturday March 29
Lunch- King's BBQ Petersburg
Dinner-Sting Ray's Cape Charles

Sunday March 30
Breakfast- Sting Ray's Cape Charles
Lunch-tba (Surrey House is closed till mid April )
Dinner- Q BBQ Midlothian

Monday March 31
Breakfast- Mclean's Richmond
Lunch- Dixie Restaurant  Petersburg
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10235
Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/03/10 09:05:01 (permalink)
That's a good looking itinerary, but ChiTownDiner is wondering where meals like lunch #3 and dinner #4 are?

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/03/10 09:26:38 (permalink)
buffetbuster

That's a good looking itinerary, but ChiTownDiner is wondering where meals like lunch #3 and dinner #4 are?

You'll have to ask our "little friend"  that I sent you a photo of via text you know, the one who will be tagging along with us on our trip to Cincinnati !

On an aside, since I will be having a hankering for peanut soup that Surrey House won't be able to fulfill, it looks like Sundays' lunch will be at the King's Arm Tavern in Williamsburg.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3723
Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/03/10 14:03:18 (permalink)
That is a great call!  Their peanut soup is terrific.  Be sure to ask for some Sally Lunn bread.  I purchased "The Colonial Williamsburg Cookbook" just for these two recipes and make them often' I suggest that you make reservations  right away as all of the taverns are busy.

{I was going to suggest the Kings Arm Tavern but never did as I thought that you would consider it "too touristy".)
post edited by Greymo - 2014/03/10 14:04:21
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/03/10 14:19:46 (permalink)
Greymo

I never had the opportunity to check out  any of the Taverns when I last visited Williamsburg in 2003. I figure it's an opportunity I should try at least once. I'll definitely look out for the Sally Lunn bread and will call about reservations.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/03/25 08:07:12 (permalink)
As it turns out I won't need a reservation for lunch at the Kings Arm Tavern, I'm only stopping there to try the peanut soup anyway.
Another place I may stop at is this place that seems to have gotten rave reviews. Besides I will be spending more time in Smithfield than I will in Williamsburg on Sunday.
I'm amazed that the Surrey House is still closed "for winter" and that the Wayside hasn't gotten it's act together yet.  all the ice cream shops here in Rhode Island opened up on March 1st when it was 20 degrees with 6 inches of snow on the ground, and they're busy too! 
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1596
Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/05/26 10:03:34 (permalink)
A bump to this thread to add the wonderful Merroir, in Topping VA, to any future trips. My friends and I went there last Friday during our annual reunion at my friend's summer house in Topping.

Great setting right on the Rappahannock River, fresh Oysters, scallops, soft shell crabs, excellent craft beer and local wine selection.  Three seating options for dining: Indoor (actually kind of cramped, with a small wine/beer bar and a few tables), screened-in porch (our option, it was drizzling), and many outdoor tables with sun umbrellas.

Very informal, but not unknown. It's been written up in the NY Times, and according to our great server, has been featured on the Today show. In spite of that, it's a fantastic place in an area with practically zero other dining destinations. Not cheap either, but with fresh seafood, you get what you pay for.

Their website doesn't have much info, so here's Yelp instead:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/merroir-topping
post edited by ken8038 - 2014/05/26 10:20:43
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1