Hot!Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7835
2014/02/24 09:06:24 (permalink)

Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA

I am taking a weekend trip to Virginia the last weekend in March. (Saturday through Monday)
I'll be flying in and out of Richmond

Where I visit will have to  do with one key issue
I was hoping to visit the Wayside Inn in Middletown VA, however they recently changed hands and have not put all the signature items back on the menu yet (Country Ham and Spoonbread) although the peanut soup is still on the menu.
They do intend to eventually put these items back on menu but are not sure when. If they're not back on the menu by the time of my trip I will not go to the Wayside Inn, however I will go to Sting Ray's in Cape Charles instead.

If I do go to  The Wayside Inn, I will not be able to make it to Sting Ray's, but may interested in checking out Lowery's Seafood which is closer to Richmond. I've seen positive posts about Lowery's on roadfood in the past by Signman, Williamsburger, etc and was wondering if it was still worth a visit?

Thanks

post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/02/24 09:08:35

37 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 13:08:12 (permalink)
    Anyone?
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 14:54:51 (permalink)

I have been there, but it was about 20 years ago, and can't recall anything especially good or bad about it.  I think it was called "Lowery's Tappahannock Restaurant" at the time, rather than Lowery's Seafood.  I'm not a big fan of mid-Atlantic Seafood, so wouldn't have ordered seafood, anyway.   The ride there was a pleasant getaway from the DC 'burbs, but I honestly can't recall what I ate.   Sorry I couldn't be of much help.    If you're flying to Richmond, I can recommend the following:

Hog's Head Café in Richmond's West end.   Be sure to get their house made lime-ade.   Great desserts that are made by a local lady who supplies them to the restaurant.  Unique sides.  Okay 'cue.      http://www.thehogsheadcafe.com/

Buz N Ned's BBQ on Boulevard, north of downtown, .... or the newer location in the West End  (Not far from Hog's Head).  The ribs are better than the pulled pork.  http://buzandneds.com/

For a unique style of pulled pork 'Cue, go here:  Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Que in Lightfoot (just outside Williamsburg).  http://www.pierces.com/

If you get a bit north, Dixie Bones BBQ is about 25-30 miles south of DC.  (Not to be confused with the similarly named chain, Smokey Bones.).  In my opinion, Dixie Bones' best item is their beef brisket. It's quite different than what you find in Texas.  I don't know if it's cut in a different direction than the usual TX brisket, but the brisket at Dixie Bones falls apart easily.  Very tasty.    Great PIES, too!   My favorite roadfood in the DC metro area.   http://www.dixiebones.com/index.html

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2014/02/24 14:58:13
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 15:22:20 (permalink)

A couple more in the south of the Richmond area  ....

King Famous Barbecue (formerly called King's #2).   It's chopped/minced pork has a unique hybrid sauce that tastes like a cross between an eastern NC tangy,  a Lexington NC with some tomato product, and a a central SC with a little mustard.   The sandwiches are on a toasted roll, and are on the small side, but inexpensive.  A buddy of mine ate 6 at a sitting!   I'm good with 2 of them.  The apple pie dessert is pretty good.   http://www.kingsfamousbarbecue.com/directions.html

Surrey House in Surry, VA.   Great Surry sausage and peanut soup   You can take a short ferry ride from Jamestown to Scotland to cross the James River.  http://www.surreyhouserestaurant.com/

The Trellis.  This Williamsburg institution is not a "RoadFood" per se, but a great place to eat.  Then again, maybe it is Roadood.  It is not a chain, and many pricier restaurants have been reviewed on this site.  The Trellis is not super expensive.  It's just that it's not in the typical Roadfood price range.   I always find it worth every penny, and I tend to eschew fancier places.    Chef Marcel Desaulniers is the originator of the "Death by Chocolate" dessert.  I have not had it, but have had several great meals there.  Always terrific.   http://www.thetrellis.com/

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2014/02/24 15:23:34
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 15:24:23 (permalink)
    Thanks Glenn

I  think I  have everything else covered..

I've went to Buz  n Neds with Buffetbuster about 4 years ago. I  know many folks here love  the  place but neither of  us  were that thrilled  with it...

I love, love, love  Pierce's Pitt unfortunately I  don't I'll  have enough time (or stomach space)  to visit this time around... I can't do  anything ChiTownDineresque or anything  of Buffetbusterian  proportions

The limeade at  Hog's Head Cafe sounds really good,however I can't do sweet drinks or anything with sugar...

I wish I had  some fresh info  on Lowerys, it seems the most recent info here on Roadfood goes back  to about 2009 or 2010...
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 15:27:10 (permalink)
    Edit (after your edit)

Loved  Surrey House  (that is one of my options)  if I don't visit the Wayside Inn

Not sure  if  I'll  make  it to Kings  BBQ but  I  will be in the area visiting another institution in Peterburg called the Dixie Restaurant.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 16:40:38 (permalink)

I have not tried the Dixie Restaurant or the Wayside Inn.  On the "to do" list now.  I went to a different "Wayside" this past weekend.  The Wayside takeout fried chicken in Charlottesville.   Just okay ... not worth a special trip.  Hit Crozet Pizza in Crozet on the same trip.  What a disappointment relative to the hype.  Then again, I'm pretty picky about pizza.  Numerous drives through New Haven will do that to a person.   

Glenn   
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 17:33:53 (permalink)
    buffetbuster gave his thumbs up on the Wayside on his last visit. 
    The Dixie Restaurant seems to have been around a long time and has lots of southern specialties including spoon bread and stewed tomatoes 
    I plan to revisit McLean's in Richmond. One of  my favorite breakfast  spots in the country and I also want to check out a bbq joint in suburban Richmond called Q BBQ
    listed here in this article "17 BBQ joints you've got to try"
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 18:13:32 (permalink)

A lot of familiar names on that list from the link, but I hadn't heard of Q BBQ.  It's on the list now.    Dixie Bones in Woodbridge, VA is a winner, especially if you're in within 25-20 miles of DC.    Sppon bread and stewed tomatoes will hook me into The Dixie restaurant. 

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 18:28:33 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

A lot of familiar names on that list from the link, but I hadn't heard of Q BBQ.  It's on the list now.    Dixie Bones in Woodbridge, VA is a winner, especially if you're in within 25-20 miles of DC.    Sppon bread and stewed tomatoes will hook me into The Dixie restaurant. 

I just noticed Dixie Restaurant in Petersburg is also listed in that link.

Unfortunately I won't be anywhere near DC, however I will be in DC the following weekend with my girlfriend but we won't have a car....

Now if the Wayside doesn't add back  those signature items to their menu by the time I visit, then Stingrays's seems like an excellent alternative

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 22:13:58 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Glenn1234

Unfortunately I won't be anywhere near DC, however I will be in DC the following weekend with my girlfriend but we won't have a car....

Now if the Wayside doesn't add back  those signature items to their menu by the time I visit, then Stingrays's seems like an excellent alternative

If you want to go to Dixie Bones, we might be able to puck you up on Sunday, April 6th in DC.  What part of DC will you be, and do you know if you'll have any free time? 

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 22:47:48 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

wanderingjew

Glenn1234

If you want to go to Dixie Bones, we might be able to puck you up on Sunday, April 6th in DC.  What part of DC will you be, and do you know if you'll have any free time? 

Glenn

Thanks for the invite. That's very thoughtful of you. I know our schedule is going to be tight as we're going to only have two full days in DC and we want to get in as much sight seeing as possible. We'll be staying with friends near the Van Ness Metro stop. If you'd like, you're more than welcome to join us for a meal in DC. Let me know

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/24 22:58:38 (permalink)

Okay, thanks.  I'll mention it to Janet. Have to back in touch closer to that date. 

Glenn

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/25 08:03:21 (permalink)
    Glenn

That would be great- let me know.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1597
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/25 08:20:40 (permalink)
    I can only offer a second hand comment on Lowery's. For the past several years I have been making a 3 to 5 day trip to Rappahannock (about 40 miles south of Lowery's) for a get together with old friends one of whom has a summer house on the Rappahanock river. I know from experience that the whole stretch of Rt 17 from the MD border to Rappahannock is a scenic drive but a Roadfood desert.

Anyway, at one point I did ask my friend about the possibility of driving up to Lowery's for Dinner and he said it wasn't worth a 5 minute drive let alone a 40 mile drive. And he's somewhat of a gourmet cook, for what that's worth.

Anyway, we have found one excellent Roadfood stop in the quaint town of Urbanna, if you wind up heading south near Rappahannock. It's called Something Different. It is, well, different, quirky I'd say, but excellent food and very home town local.
    http://www.pine3.info/

Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/25 10:32:30 (permalink)
    I make regular trips up and down Rt. 17 visiting my family in Newport News. While I haven't eaten there in a couple of years, I have eaten at Lowrey's many times. It's a local's establishment, particularly popular with the "Sunday after church crowd". They have an extensive menu that leans toward local seafood, mostly fried. There is nothing on the menu that stands out, but also nothing that is bad either.
    It is worth a stop to try it out for yourself and it is a local landmark. I usually order the fried fish of the day, flounder or sea trout. If they have fried spot on the menu, go for it, but watch out for the bones...
    post edited by Davebassman - 2014/02/25 10:33:56
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/25 11:09:55 (permalink)
    Thanks Ken8038 and Davebassman

Somethingdifferent  certainly sounds interesting, and I may stop by just to get some of those "Virginia roasted peanuts"  to munch on. I'd love to try a meal there but I think I'll be stopping at Surrey House Instead. 

It seems that reviews for Lowery's on line are mixed- I think alot of it has to do with  discern for "dated" restaurants, I have a personal gripe for folks who use that term.  In other words it seems like the kind of place that hipsters love to hate.

Once I get closer to my trip and I'm able to verify that whether the Wayside will add back their signature items to the menu, that will ultimately weigh heavy on where I end up....
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10283
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/25 11:18:32 (permalink)
    WJ, hopefully you will be able to squeeze in Sting Ray's.  I didn't care for their bbq, but the seafood, sweet potato pie and especially the country ham in a sweet potato biscuit were all outstanding!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/25 11:34:50 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

WJ, hopefully you will be able to squeeze in Sting Ray's.  I didn't care for their bbq, but the seafood, sweet potato pie and especially the country ham in a sweet potato biscuit were all outstanding!

buffetbuster

if the Wayside "Inn" is "out" (sorry about the pun!)  then Sting Ray's is in
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/25 17:35:41 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Glenn

That would be great- let me know.

Okay, thanks.  Will do. 

Glenn

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 828
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/26 09:14:20 (permalink)
    There's an outpost of Dixie Bones in Fredericksburg called Post 401.  Similar menu but not as varied.

http://www.dixiebones.com/post/401
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/26 09:35:27 (permalink)
    kozel

There's an outpost of Dixie Bones in Fredericksburg called Post 401.  Similar menu but not as varied.

That's good to know- I'll be passing through Fredericksburg if I end up going to The Wayside, unfortunately I just don't have that  kind of stomach space that some of the "heavyweights" on here have so I'm going to have to pass
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3726
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/26 17:08:09 (permalink)
    It seems to me that this restaurant has enough food that is not "heavyweight" to keep anyone happy.  Guess you are not in the mood for a barbecue joint!" />
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/26 17:27:43 (permalink)
    Greymo

It seems to me that this restaurant has enough food that is not "heavyweight" to keep anyone happy.  Guess you are not in the mood for a barbecue joint!" />

Greymo,

I'm trying to mix it up a little
    There will be Q on this trip here
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/27 09:34:57 (permalink)
    I think her point may have been that you could have answered the question without sounding like a condescending tool.

Could you not have just said "I won't be able to make that stop this trip, but I might consider it in the future" instead of taking a backhanded swipe at the people you call friends?
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3726
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/27 09:42:44 (permalink)
    Bingo!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/27 09:45:58 (permalink)
    I'm not just a pretty face.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4013
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/27 09:46:40 (permalink)
    kozel

Once I saw Fredericksburg I knew where you were going. Not seafood, but every time I went to the area, I made sure to go to Allman's Barbecue at least one or more times. Been doing Q for 50 years and it's really good!

Allman's Barbecue
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/27 17:42:55 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

I think her point may have been that you could have answered the question without sounding like a condescending tool.

Could you not have just said "I won't be able to make that stop this trip, but I might consider it in the future" instead of taking a backhanded swipe at the people you call friends?

Wow the things I miss  while I'm being used as a paddleball at work

You are one of the few people I would let get away with saying that and that's only because I'll kick your   a-s-s the next time I see you

I was simply requesting information on a specific restaurant,only noting that I had everything else covered and that I knew where else I was going. Everyone starts to make other recommendations which is appreciative and I pointed out that I'm a lightweight- and can't hit all of these places in one weekend.

What did I say? How was it condescending?  What back handed swipe?   And at who? Seriously, there was no back handed swipe intended and I have no idea what you're talking about.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/02/27 18:06:40
    Ed Face
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Lowery's Seafood Tappahannock VA 2014/02/28 09:00:02 (permalink)
    I agree with Glen, King's BBQ in Petersberg is excellent, I love their sauce. Everything I have had is superb & I think I've had it all.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1