Lumberjacks in Northern California

Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 724
2011/08/28 03:49:45 (permalink)

Lumberjacks in Northern California

Lumberjack's Restaurant

This is a small chain in Northern California...and they opened up a new location in Willits (Mendocino County)

In the past I've given them a Passing Grade (although some dishes were UNDERCOOKED) ...

My most recent visit there was about 3 weeks ago, and AGAIN I WAS SERVED UNDERCOOKED FOOD ...

In the past it was almost RAW steaks and undercooked potatoes...

This time they cooked the Hashbrowns on ONE SIDE ONLY, and slipped them on the plate hoping nobody would notice...which is not how you cook hashbrowns...and is a culinary way of cheating...cook 'em on one side only and flip them onto a plate with the one cooked side facing upwards...

I spoke to the manager about the several times I was served food that was WAY undercooked, yet nothing has changed...

I have no idea why such sloppy cooking takes place...the place IS busy and perhaps the cooks are under undue pressure to get the plates out the window fast, even IF not properly cooked...

I don't know IF this problem exists in the other restaurants in this small chain, and if image is more important than substance...

I have no choice but to DOWNGRADE my opinion and review of this establishment and suggest folks AVOID this place until they hire REAL cooks & get their act together...

Having to send food back to the kitchen 25% of the time tells me there is a widespread problem not limited to any particular shift or time of day...

Has anybody else eaten at any of the restaurants in this chain...???

(their web page is )

BTW...I cut restaurants a lot of slack because I used to be in the industry, and it tales a LOT for me to give a negative review...but after a certian point things can no longer be overlooked...

I hope your experience is better...

9 Replies Related Threads

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lumberjacks in Northern California 2011/09/07 18:13:15 (permalink)
    UPDATE...

I spoke with 1 of the owners...

He said changes will be made, and sent his QA team to the site to evaluate, and he himself is going to pay a visit...

I'll try it again in a couple of weeks...hopefully any changes made will "stick" after the QA team leaves...
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4522
    Re:Lumberjacks in Northern California 2011/09/07 18:49:04 (permalink)
    BackRhodes, I checked out the menu.  Looks like a Friday's/Chili's science project.  One of those places that was invented just to franchise, not make good food.  9 dollars for an omelete?  Must be a California thing
    txag80
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Lumberjacks in Northern California 2011/09/09 13:20:00 (permalink)
    Was just there on Sept 7, 2011 - It took so long just to get our drink orders that we decided to avoid ordering from the kitchen and doing a quick Salad Bar instead. Should have just left and eaten the granola bar in the bottom of my purse. Haven't seen a Salad Bar this sad in a long time. The celery was floating in water(?) so long it was translucent, same with the cucumbers. Just plain bad. The lettuce was brown, the bacon was fake, the selection was minimal. eww.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lumberjacks in Northern California 2011/09/09 19:36:28 (permalink)
    txag80       Was just there on Sept 7, 2011 - It took so long just to get our drink orders that we decided to avoid ordering from the kitchen and doing a quick Salad Bar instead. Should have just left and eaten the granola bar in the bottom of my purse. Haven't seen a Salad Bar this sad in a long time. The celery was floating in water(?) so long it was translucent, same with the cucumbers. Just plain bad. The lettuce was brown, the bacon was fake, the selection was minimal. eww.      

Which one was this...???

The one in Willits or the one in Sacto...???

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lumberjacks in Northern California 2011/09/20 14:35:12 (permalink)
    I went back to the Willits Lumberjack's yesterday...

I had the Combo which in this case was a Noo Yawk steak & BB Ribs...

The Ribs were dry inside...

The steak had too much gristle, but was tasty and juicy for the meat parts...it really should've been trimmed, and perhaps the grade of meat was not the best...

The gravy on the mashed spuds was WAY too strong and concentrated...it must have sat reducing for a while and a smart chef would've tested it every now and then...it really needed to be thinned out...

The mini loaf of sweet bread was excellent, as was the large chunk Chicken Noodle Soup, and also the milk shake...

The wait staff is excellent and attentive...

Our conclusion is that Lumberjack's Willits store just can't get it up to par...I don't know IF this is indicative of the rest of the small chain of restaurants...

While I can't say AVOID at all costs, I also can't recommend it...
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:Lumberjacks in Northern California 2011/09/20 14:55:14 (permalink)
    WENT ONCE WITH A GROUP-REALLY NOT A GOOD PLACE AT ALL//AM NOT EVEN SURE IF THE SACTO ONE STILL IS OPEN
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lumberjacks in Northern California 2011/09/20 15:45:19 (permalink)
    joerogo

BackRhodes, I checked out the menu.  Looks like a Friday's/Chili's science project.  One of those places that was invented just to franchise, not make good food.  9 dollars for an omelete?  Must be a California thing

Joe...I'm beginning t0 think you're right about the franchise comment...and I'd never pay $9 for an omelet...yeah, we see lots of hyper prices here in California that are hardly justifiable...
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lumberjacks in Northern California 2011/09/20 15:52:05 (permalink)
    californyguy

WENT ONCE WITH A GROUP-REALLY NOT A GOOD PLACE AT ALL//AM NOT EVEN SURE IF THE SACTO ONE STILL IS OPEN

According to their webby site the one in Sacto is open...

The dining rooms have a TV screen in EVERY corner, like a sports bar, playing loops of lumberjack competitions, from ESPN (I assume these loops are legally licensed)...

In my opinion the low quality is on par with Denny's (yuk)...
    The food just doesn't live up to the founders paragraph on their web site...
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Lumberjacks in Northern California 2011/10/03 15:54:55 (permalink)
    I got another email from one of the owners...

At least there IS a desire to fix the problems...he does understand how a bad reputation is the worst thing they want...

So...time will tell IF this place has problems chain-wide, or just individual restaurants...having problems at multiple locations is NOT a good sign...

I was told that they have difficulty getting qualified cooks in my very rural area...but that's a function of PAYscale...you want good cooks, you HAVE to offer good wages...this has been an obvious fact of life for quite a while, and other places in Mendocino County have been able to hire good cooks, so maybe the pay is not on par...or something else is not right...lack of effective supervision...???

Will they get it together, or will it be mediocre...???

Lots of money has been put into this small chain startup, and nobody wants to see ANY enterprize fail...but folks will vote with their dollars...

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1