Lums Hot Dogs Extinct?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
2005/07/08 17:45:40 (permalink)

Lums Hot Dogs Extinct?

Are there any Lums Restaurants still around? They were quite popular in the 60s and 70s with their hot dogs cooked in beer. They also were early to feature many imported beers which was a bit of an oddity in those days.

Lums was a magnet for college students. One could be oh so sophisticated dining on these "gourmet dogs" and pontificating on the merits of the imported beers.

What are your memories of Lums and are there any still around?

67 Replies Related Threads

QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/07/08 19:10:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

Are there any Lums Restaurants still around? They were quite popular in the 60s and 70s with their hot dogs cooked in beer. They also were early to feature many imported beers which was a bit of an oddity in those days.

Lums was a magnet for college students. One could be oh so sophisticated dining on these "gourmet dogs" and pontificating on the merits of the imported beers.

Check under topic of "long-gone regional chains" for several earlier posts on Lums. As far as I can tell from the previous posts the only remaining Lums is in Davie, FL near Ft Lauderdale. The guy who owns it was one of the original Lums franchises and he believes he may be the last one. One of our RF-ers even called him to try to see if he would divulge some of the original receipes. Owner was quite willing to talk and seemed really proud of the fact he'd stuck it out.
    You may remember that they also had the Ollie burger which was quite big and packed w/ "secret" spices. You can still find the burger at some Ollie's Trolleys around a few cities (DC area being one I know of).

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/07/08 20:16:16 (permalink)
    quote:

Acthung!!!

You vill kindly post all Lum's topics to mein thread...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=479

Vee got to keep it going, 'ja no...
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/07/11 18:10:27 (permalink)
    I was at a Lum's in Plattsburgh NY 2 years ago.

Right off I-87 as I recall.
    WickedGoode
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/08/01 19:02:35 (permalink)
    I am visiting my daughter in Bellevue, NE (a suburb of Omaha) and there is a Lum's on N. Fort Crook Road. I haven't seen one for years and wanted to get a menu - came across this post and wanted to add this location for Lum's fans.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/08/02 11:15:45 (permalink)
    basically gone. A few left but nothing like it used to be.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8115
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/08/02 19:21:29 (permalink)
    Lum's didn't need hot dogs since they purchased Caesar's Palace for $60 million.

That's a lot of hot dogs!

Those that bought stock in Lum's back in the 60's and still have it are doing quite nicely.
    JoRose
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/09/03 21:33:58 (permalink)
    I also am trying to locate any memorabilia from Lums Restaurant to add to a memory book I am making for my husband's birthday. When we were dating back in the 70's, we used to eat at Lums in Rocky Mount, NC. I would dearly love to have a menu or anything that has their logo on it.

I was wondering if QFan might be able to provide with me a little more information on the location of the one in Ft. Lauderdale so I could give them a call.

If anyone out there knows where I might be able to find something from Lums, I would be eternally grateful!!

Thanks,

JoRose
    BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/09/04 05:22:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JoRose

I also am trying to locate any memorabilia from Lums Restaurant to add to a memory book I am making for my husband's birthday. When we were dating back in the 70's, we used to eat at Lums in Rocky Mount, NC. I would dearly love to have a menu or anything that has their logo on it.

I was wondering if QFan might be able to provide with me a little more information on the location of the one in Ft. Lauderdale so I could give them a call.

If anyone out there knows where I might be able to find something from Lums, I would be eternally grateful!!

Thanks,

JoRose

JoRose --

Try this:

http://www.stargazettetimeout.com/Dining/lumsDinnerMenu.pdf

Sad to say -- when I tried to call their # a few weeks ago, I received a "This # is no longer in service" message.

Here was their breakfast menu:

http://www.stargazettetimeout.com/Dining/lumsBreakfastMenu.pdf

Good luck.
    Bill

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/09/04 11:24:44 (permalink)
    Lum's was in Gatlinburg, TN for several years and I certainly enjoyed their dogs steamed in beer.

They were good but they are gone.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    JoRose
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/09/05 11:33:04 (permalink)
    Hi BrooklynBill!!

I cannot thank you enough for your response to my e-mail and the menus. I will print these out and they will be perfect for my scrapbook project.

You truly saved the day!

JoRose
    JoRose
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/09/05 13:12:22 (permalink)
    I was wondering if anyone out there has anything from an old Lum's Restaurant they would be willing to part with such as a napkin, straw, menu, glass, matches? I would be willing to pay and am not asking for anything free. If not, would anyone have any suggestions how I might go about locating something? I have searched e-bay but haven't found anything there so far.

Any information and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

JoRose

porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/09/05 15:36:33 (permalink)
    quote:

I was wondering if anyone out there has anything from an old Lum's Restaurant they would be willing to part with such as a napkin, straw, menu, glass, matches? I would be willing to pay and am not asking for anything free. If not, would anyone have any suggestions how I might go about locating something? I have searched e-bay but haven't found anything there so far.

Any information and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

JoRose

These Lum's items are currently available on eBay.

http://search.ebay.com/lums_W0QQfsopZ1
    mhooper2
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/09/14 15:50:26 (permalink)
    Aye Jack Case was owner of most of these franchises AKA my Grandfather!!!
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/09/14 19:34:47 (permalink)
    quote:

Thanks,

JoRose

JoRose, just got back from vacation and only just now picked up your post. The Lums in question is in a town due west from Ft Lauderdale on I-595. Go to the University exit and then go south toward the Nova Southeastern campus. Don't remember the cross street to look for, but it's a ways from where you get off the expressway. Also you can go to City Search or Mapquest and map it. If you manage to get there you have to promise to post your tasting notes on RF so the rest of us can vicariously remember those steamed dogs or Ollie burgers plus frosty mugs of root beer. Best of luck!

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    RHutch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/10/14 21:44:46 (permalink)
    I admit I was curious. I was just reminiscing on another forum about Lum's before I hit this. Must be a generation gap cuz my Lum's didn't have wraps. Living away from the NE area must have time-warped me. However thru college a Lum's and a beer was the perfect end to a day of scholastic endeavors/avoidance.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/10/15 00:45:52 (permalink)
    I could never really taste the beer, but liked the idea of it...and wondered if the alcohol really burned off?
    Sourkraut
    Junior Burger
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/11/17 16:50:58 (permalink)
    Lum's ...WoW! I used to work @ Orange Motors Ford in Albany NY (60's/70's)and there was a Lum's across the street. At lunch we would go and have a couple of Dogs and a pitcher of beer. Great stuff. Sure would like to be able to have those dogs again.
    When I went back there in the 80's, that Lum's was gone and up the road there was a Lum's and it was sort of like a Denny's...No,(good)hot dogs.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/11/19 16:27:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Acthung!!!

Zieg heil my master!
    LMAO...
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/11/19 17:00:30 (permalink)
    Lum's is still open in Plattsburgh, NY right near Exit 37 off I-87. It's too not bad, we go there once in a while. They still have some of the "traditional" Lum's menu items.

Wally
    Still open in Plattsburgh too!

P.S. The comment "it's not too bad" coming from a local such as myself is more of a postive comment than you might otherwise expect. Sorry bout that, its part of my heritage I guess.
    WD
    ScreenBear
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/11/19 17:39:57 (permalink)
    Wally,
    Do they still cook the dogs with beer?
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/11/19 18:59:52 (permalink)
    You know, I'm not completely sure. I haven't been there since early last summer. I think they might still do that. Maybe if I have a chance tomorrow, I'll stop there ask ask to see a menu.

Wally
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/11/20 19:19:17 (permalink)
    yes there is a lums in davie florida just south of 595 on davie road extention, 5 minutes from ft lauderdale and not far from miami if your a lums lover
    ScreenBear
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/11/20 21:32:36 (permalink)
    The first Lums I ever went to was in the Ft. Lauderdale, Easter break, sometime in the late '60s. I wonder if 'tis the same one?
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/11/20 21:39:54 (permalink)
    if it was next to nova university its the place, the only other one i knew went out in hallandale years ago and now fat lous vienna and italian beef and awesome
    jinjo76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/11/21 00:07:47 (permalink)
    One on Commercial Blvd. near Floranada elementary school; one near the corner of Oakland and Federal. I don't remember when they closed, just that we went there.
    C Turner Joy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2005/11/21 02:45:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jinjo76

One on Commercial Blvd. near Floranada elementary school; one near the corner of Oakland and Federal. I don't remember when they closed, just that we went there.

Oakland and Federal? Where? I remember one up around Atlantic and US1. Or was it Sample Road? Somewhere up there. But I grew up behind Coral Ridge mall. I can't recall a Lums there.
    Dean1313
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2006/08/22 17:41:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Acthung!!!

Zieg heil my master!
    LMAO...

Dean1313
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2006/08/22 17:46:41 (permalink)
    I just hung up the phone with a Lum's Restaurant. They still serve the Ollie Burger and Hot Dogs steamed in beer. The address is 4125 SW 64th Ave. Davie, FL. The phone is (954)583-7872.

Dean

quote:

phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lums Hot Dogs Extinct? 2006/08/22 20:16:23 (permalink)
    64th avenue is also called davie road extention to anyone down here wanting to go there take i-95 to 595 west a mile to davie rd ext exit and go south a mile on the west side of the road
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1