Lunch Business

Author
fishscale28
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
2013/08/02 16:39:47 (permalink)

Lunch Business

This might be trivial and rookie-ish but I was hoping some of the veterans had some ideas and advice on how to build lunch business.  I get that a big following helps (via Facebook, Twitter, etc.) but what are some ways to help build everyday business for people who might not be in tune with whats going on with social media?

I know the obvious would be to find a place with lots of foot traffic-I don't know if its just my location but the places with any foot traffic are just about completely off limits.  I have been parking at a vacant lot in a very high traffic area and getting "walk ins" or random customers to stop by has been tough-almost non existent.  Even some of the businesses I find that might be suitable "partners" are completely against the idea and won't even humor the idea.

Any suggestions?  Any tricks on how to build a customer base from almost nothing?

We just opened and I know it takes time and we are so lucky to have tons of great events all around the area and those have been awesome.  Just can't make it on events alone...

Thanks in advance!

8 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2045
    Re:Lunch Business 2013/08/02 18:35:06 (permalink)
    Be reliable, have regular hours, serve good quality at a fair price, be clean, courteous , learn your regulars names, what they like & don't like.
    I'm in a small tourist town, I have built my business on the locals, they are here through the winter, so am I, they support me.
    I get very few tourist dollars and don't go after them on the weekends. My people eat m- f , that's when I'm here for them.
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lunch Business 2013/08/02 18:53:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply!  

Do you have a regular spot where you stay full time?  We're again a little restricted here-might just be how this particular area handles things.  We aren't really supposed to be in the same place for an extended period.  I guess as long as we're consistently in the same handful of spots that should help out with the reliability, right?

And that's exactly what I am looking to do-just have a solid local following.  Of course I'm all for tourists, etc. but the locals are where its at.  Thanks again!

bartl
    • Total Posts : 1344
    Re:Lunch Business 2013/08/03 00:26:53 (permalink)
    Any way you can make your stand more visible? So that people driving by say, "Hey, what was that?"

Bart
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lunch Business 2013/08/03 02:21:57 (permalink)
    25 + ft of bright orange food truck...couldn't miss it if you wanted. People gawk all day long just no one seems to interested to stop. Maybe I need a stripper with a sign...
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2045
    Re:Lunch Business 2013/08/03 17:17:33 (permalink)
    I'm semi perm at one location, only move for events, so everyone knows where I'm at and when I'm there.
    I looked at your FB page, nice truck, it's bright and professional looking on the outside. I like the concept, but some might not be able to comprehend Chinese inspired tacos.
    Give lots of samples when your not too busy, constantly talk yourself up to people, where you got your  experience with Asian ingredients, what inspired you to do this venture, where you will be tomorrow, or on the weekend, and were having xxx for a special on Saturday at zyz park from 11-3
    Always acknowledge your customers as soon as you notice them walk up, no matter how busy you are. Tell them you will be right with them, engage them, give them a sample on a tooth pick or something, "that's the meat that goes on our General Chicken taco", blah, blah, blah......
    Keep your Sh%t clean, let people in for a look see if they seem interested, people are always wanting to look inside my trailer, what I have in it, etc. AND.....everyone and their brother will ask you how much money your making....My standard answer,
    "It keeps a roof over my head"
    Put out a tip cup, people will put dollar bills in it!
    post edited by chefbuba - 2013/08/03 17:18:36
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lunch Business 2013/08/03 17:56:00 (permalink)
    I like it thanks! Very good points...and I agree about the customer engagement, etc. helps build that hospitable touch I'd like to have. Thanks again!
    bellomo.m
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Lunch Business 2013/08/10 01:01:12 (permalink)
    "Any suggestions?  Any tricks on how to build a customer base from almost nothing?"

Hey David, you're right: it is being tougher and tougher today to attract your potential customers attention, because people today are distracted, bombed with over 5000 ad messages every day, on average.
    And you made the right question: how to build a customer base from scratch. You can think it is a problem of visibility, but it's not. Ask yourself: "Am I giving some add value to my potential client?" - "Why should my potential client choose me instead of one of my competitors?"
    Did you do something to communicate a value to your customers? I'll give you an example.
    "Fresh hot pizza delivered in 30 minutes or less, guaranteed"
    What comes into your mind? Domino's, of course! But there are many pizza stores around us, why should someone choose Domino's instead of Boston or Gino's? Well, Domino's has a specific target: people in rush, young people that want their pizza quickly at home, single people that have no food in the fridge when they get home tired. They don't speak about pizza's quality, shape etc. They give a big promise, a guarantee that they will deliver your pizza in 30 minutes or less. They are specific, clear and maintain the only promise they made.
    Ask yourself: what can I do to give a big promise to my clients?
    Then you must build a list of your clients. Take their names and emails, send them the offer of the week, a free pop if they buy two items, a discount if they come in a certain hour etc. If you take their cell numbers, you can also make last-minute offers. You can give them coupon to spend in a shop, friend of yours, that maybe needs more clients like you and he can do the same toward you with his clients.
    The possibilities are almost infinite. This works with restaurants as well as trucks or fast foods.
    Meet your audience needs and thrive!
    Good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mario Bellomo
    Ontario Mobile Marketing
    email: info@mariobellomo.it
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Lunch Business 2013/08/10 19:10:36 (permalink)
    Thanks those are some good points!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1