Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/03/09 13:49:11 (permalink)
China Grove Drug Store, in China Grove, NC, still has a lunch counter and two tables. I know they still make banana splits, orangeades, cherry cokes, etc. I believe they still make sandwiches too. I get a lot of my medicine filled there, but it's been years since I ate anything there. They used to make a killer club sandwich.
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/09 15:23:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DavidEMartinOf all the department stores in Milwaukee, only Goldman's Department Store stubbornly, proudly retains their lunch counter. They even exploit the fact that since such a thing is an anachronistic rarity, it can be a tourist attraction.
Have you heard the news? Goldman's is closing this October. Milt Pivar and Jerry Lewis (no, I'm not making that up) are just too old to keep it going anymore.

My wife and I (who live in a town I never would have heard of if I didn't marry her) rented a stupid movie called "Milwaukee, Minnesota" and she roared her head off when she saw the scenes in Goldman's. I told her that, "Goldman's is a real place." and took her there. She bought some plus sized clothes and we did lunch at the counter. It was a sort of Swedish Meatball with rice incorporated and, while not gourmet fare, was pretty good, and inexpensive. My only regret is we didn't score any candy raisins. We HAVE to get back!

Well, we still have George Webb's, but no department stores feature them.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/10 06:05:37 (permalink)
Jordan Marsh in downtown Boston had a white table cloth restarunt in the store many many years ago. I belive it was geared to The Lady's who Lunch croud.
They also had a little area that they sold probably the finast blue berrie muffins I've ever eaten. If you google it you can come up with quite a few copy cat recipes for them. I've tryed but never came close to duplicating those wonderfull muffins. Chow Jim
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1354
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/12 14:38:13 (permalink)
Earlier in this thread I praised Brents of Belhaven (Jackson, MS)Well, I'm sad to tell you it is on the way out. The pharmacy has already closed and the soda fountain will close in August. I will really miss it!!!
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1069
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/18 13:31:48 (permalink)
My grandfather worked at Goldman's back in the 1930s in their meat market.My dad and his family moved back to Milwaukee from Hot Springs,Ark. because my grandmother thought perhasp things would be better there.They both had relatives there,and I seem to recall that great uncle Fred ,grandpa's brother had a butcher shop at one time.Somehow grandpa found out they were hiring and Mr.Goldman told grandpa,"well Mr.Hilpert" pretty soon you'll be speaking polish as well as I do"'.Grandpa soon picked it up within a few months as he had a gift for languages.So he spoke not only the family's language of german,but italian,spanish,polish, and yiddish .He also knew some gaelic and russian too.

Joseke's Department Store at Las Palmas Mall in San Antonio had a lunch counter where my favorite meal was their cheese enchiladas.
The Woolworth's store in Cross Roads Mall,which used to be called Wonderland Mall had a lunch counter.
There is a small varitety store out in Seguin that has or did have a lunch counter,but I have'nt tried it yet.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/18 14:03:53 (permalink)
I know this forum's not really supposed to be international, but if anyone misses the real lunch counter thing, come to England!

There are restaurants galore in Harrods and in Selfridges too [both huge old dept stores]. The best eateries are in Fortnum & Mason, which is a food & department store, and has a range of choices from cheapish to fancy (though they are renovating each, one by one, right now).

But then on top of those kind of places we have a lunch counter at almost every big garden center! What's a day out buying garden plants without a spot of tea & a sandwich?!

And probably the biggest money maker of all are the IKEA cafeterias... I don't remember if the American IKEAs have the same thing.

The Brits are not as a whole big eaters (big portions) as Americans, but they do like to make sure they are fed when they're out & about.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/19 08:08:36 (permalink)
The Woolworth's on The Plaza in Santa Fe is the supposed to the the original home of the Frito Pie (sort of chili served right in the bag). Woolworth's sold out in the 90's but an independent 5&Dime took over and still serves it at the lunch counter in the back (I think).

Go 50 miles or so south to Alburqueque to Duran's Pharmacy that also still has a lunch counter with good New Mexican cuisine.

PS. Re: last post I think it's fine - and interesting - and cosmopolitan -to have international comments here, no?
Doatsie82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/19 11:26:54 (permalink)
The Macy's at Plaza Camino Real in Carlsbad, CA just re-opened their in-store resturant after a renovation. I have not tried it yet so I can't report on how good it is. Doatsie
pinetree
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/25 16:23:10 (permalink)
The Barnard General Store in Barnard VT opposite Silver Lake has a luncheonette. You can go stay in the State Park on the Lake and get supplies at the store, and eat lunch there too.

drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 170
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/25 17:41:33 (permalink)
When I was a kid in Seattle, I think almost every department store downtown had at least one place to eat, if not two or three. Might have been Frederick & Nelson that had a ladies tea room, a mens grill and a cafe in the basement. We had a Woolworth, which of course had a lunch counter. I don't remember if Kress' did, that was right across the street from Woolworth. Bartells Drugs on 4th had a lunch counter and offered cheese enchiladas, which I always thought was so exotic.

But my favorite, and the only place my mother took me to eat when we ventured downtown on the bus, was a restaurant attached to a sporting goods store called Ben Paris. It was a basement store underneath where Westlake Mall is now on 4th and Pine.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/25 18:04:08 (permalink)
Grant's had a wonderful lunch 'spot' I don't rememberf what it was called - they had the best clam strips dinner yummm creamy cole slaw, ff's and the strips.
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 616
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/27 18:59:56 (permalink)

If I remember correctly, the Grant's food operations were Bradford's Harvest
Houses (may be wrong, so might have to dig up the hand puppet (Bucky & Becky
Bradford were the "mascots") with the kid's menu on it.

And I might have mentioned this on another post a long time ago, but out of
the pages of the Windsor Star in August, 1966, it was "$1.44 Days" at Woolco,
& that included the "Red Grille", where the $1.44 special was 2 Meatloaf dinners
(reg. 85c each) consisting of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, vegetable, hot roll,
tomato juice & coffee.
TerrierMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/06/27 22:08:36 (permalink)
I am 39, 40 in Septemeber and remember Dime Stores, and lunch counters. And restaurants in Department stores. Also mom and pop stores downtown. Mom and Pop motels. The Holiday Inn Grat Sign. Gold Bond and S&H Green Stamps from the All that kind of stuff was still around in the 70's when I was a child. I think my age group (35-45) is probably the last generation to have grown up with some of this stuff.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4610
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2007/11/16 17:13:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TerrierMom

I am 39, 40 in Septemeber and remember Dime Stores, and lunch counters. And restaurants in Department stores. Also mom and pop stores downtown. Mom and Pop motels. The Holiday Inn Grat Sign. Gold Bond and S&H Green Stamps from the All that kind of stuff was still around in the 70's when I was a child. I think my age group (35-45) is probably the last generation to have grown up with some of this stuff.

Terrier mom, I think you are right. How's 40 treating you?
sfpaul900
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2009/01/07 21:07:25 (permalink)
Wow. I'm in my early 50's and I have many wonderful memories of eating at Woolworth's lunch counters when I worked in downtown San Francisco back in the 70's and 80's. I guess I hadn't really thought about the demise of the lunch counter until now. Every downtown department store had several places to eat, including tablecloth restaurants full of rich ladies in hats, and cafeterias for the rest of us.

I remember once, when I was 9 or 10, as a treat, my mother took us to lunch at the sit-down restaurant at the City of Paris department store in San Francisco. It was barely noon, and in swept a very glamorous woman wearing a huge black hat, already laden down with packages. The waiter took her order and returned shortly with a huge martini, which he placed in front of her. I was enthralled. Drinking in broad daylight? Before lunch???  To this day, I don't think I've ever been quite so impressed by a fellow diner.

I now live in New York and Bloomingdale's has relocated the 40 Carrots restaurant to the 7th floor and, yes, they have a counter.

I do miss Lord & Taylor's soup bar on the 10th floor, but they have recently opened 2 branches of Sarabeth's Kitchen.

The last time I was in Macy's, I was looking for their counter restaurant, but I think it's now a shoe department. Yes, I think they have outsourced their restaurants to chains.

I used to visit Milwaukee to see cousins and I still miss Gimbels Tasty Town (BTW: DavidEMartin: the Brookfield store was built as a Boston Store, not Gimbels. I remember my Aunt Ruth taking me to lunch at the balcony restaurant)

mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7830
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2009/01/07 22:55:45 (permalink)
Thrifty Drugs in West Los Angeles had a great lunch counter.  We used to get flavored cokes... vanilla, chocolate and lemon.

We'd also go there and sit sipping chocolate malts from the tall glasses with all the extra waiting in the metal canister.

I guess we ate hamburgers there.  That, I don't remember.
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2009/01/08 10:13:22 (permalink)
As late as the early to mid '90s there was a drug store in Bainbridge, GA that served the classic lunch counter foods--hamburgers and fries with a cherry coke, chicken salad sandwiches, etc. It is now no more.

Back in the 1960s glory days of lunch counters at the Eastwood Mall in Birmingham, AL there were no fewer than four lunch counters--Kresge's, Newberry's, the Liggett Rexall drucg store, and Kiddieland's lunch counter. In addition you had the Camiella Room upstairs in the Pizitz department store, a lidies who lunch little tea room of a restaurant.

All also long gone.  Sigh...
Long Island Oddities
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/16 22:07:22 (permalink)
Here are two drug store lunch counters that I happened to stumble upon while randomly driving-walking around. One was in downtown Cape May, NJ, while the other was in Orange, CA. The Milwaukee Dept store mentioned in the first post looks really cool.

Ooops, I can't add links, bummer. I will instead tell you their names and you can google them.

Dellas 5 & 10 Soda Fountain, Cape May, NJ Watson's Drug & Soda Fountain, Orange, CA
post edited by Long Island Oddities - 2012/02/16 22:12:36
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/16 22:40:04 (permalink)
Long Island Oddities

Here are two drug store lunch counters that I happened to stumble upon while randomly driving-walking around. One was in downtown Cape May, NJ, while the other was in Orange, CA. The Milwaukee Dept store mentioned in the first post looks really cool.

Ooops, I can't add links, bummer. I will instead tell you their names and you can google them.

Dellas 5 & 10 Soda Fountain, Cape May, NJ Watson's Drug & Soda Fountain, Orange, CA

Welcome to roadfood LIOddities!  I love your web site http://lioddities.com/
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/17 01:01:34 (permalink)
Yes cool site
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/17 05:08:10 (permalink)
I remember one in the carew tower, in downtown cincy as a kid.
Marble flooring, with brass railings over looking the elevator concourse.

I also remember them being at the mall, and thinking we were special for eating there.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/17 10:44:47 (permalink)
Back in the 70's the Rexall in Vero Beach had a lunch counter. I used to travel to Vero once a month and tried to always stop for a grilled cheese and coffee.
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1003
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/17 13:29:26 (permalink)
As a small child in the 70's, our local Nichols department store had a lunch counter in the back. I only recall eating there once with my grandfather, then it was purchased by another store chain and they removed it.
On occasion, I'd grab a bite at Cohick's Trading Post in Salladasburg, PA... a small "little bit of everything" store with a lunch counter. You could get a pair of boots, a new shirt, a gallon of milk, a new rifle, and a decent meal all in one spot. It's been a few years since I've been down that way so I don't know if it's still open or not.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5018
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/17 16:28:47 (permalink)
When the CherryVale Mall in Rockford, IL opened back in 1973 both Sears and Marshall Field's had restaurants but I can't remember how long they lasted; I recall the Sears restaurant still being there in the late '70s and Field's sometime after that.  Sears was more of a casual place but Field's was fairly upscale and it was a bit of a treat to eat there.

Brad
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4058
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/19 09:37:24 (permalink)
Back in the 1950's and '60's we used to enjoy the lunch counters at the two Herd's Drug Stores on Main St. in Washington, PA.  They were soda fountains that also had a grill and a fryer.  My favorite lunch was a BLT or burger, fries, a cherry or vanilla fountain Coke, and pie a la mode!  All that ran about $1.25 + a quarter tip.  The G.C. Murphy 5 & 10 also had a nice lunch counter as did the Paradise Bakery.  I think the only two "downtown" places from that era still open are The Union Grill and Shorty's Lunch

Presently we eat occasionally in N-M's or Nordstrom, but their restaurants are hardly lunch counters.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/02/19 09:43:37
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/19 10:27:54 (permalink)
The Diamond was the largest department store in downtown Charleston, WV.  I believe it closed in the 1970's.  When my mom would take us shopping we always had a hot dog at the Diamond lunch counter.  The lunch counter was on the 1st floor & it was shaped like an "E".  Also, really good WV hot dogs.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 427
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/19 11:35:49 (permalink)
ces1948

Back in the 70's the Rexall in Vero Beach had a lunch counter. 

Yesterday I wanted to post about a lunch counter we stopped in a few years ago in Bar Harbor, Maine. I googled Whelan's, Walgreens and scouted around google maps to no avail.

Rexall's! That was it. I really enjoyed my old go to, Tuna Salad on toast with a chocolate shake.

http://www.flickr.com/pho...ie_songbird/321764997/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wxkeith/5866439678/
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/19 13:35:27 (permalink)
Back in the 70's Maas Brothers department stores in Florida had very nice restaurants. My soon to be MIL would insist on taking my future wife and me there for lunch. At first I was very hesitant thinking it was for just "ladies" but after a couple of good meals there there was no more hesitation.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2590
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/19 21:51:21 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers

Ort.Carlton, what would be the hit tunes back in 1962 (my sophomore year in high school)?
We were all pretty much into R & B and I would think that James Brown, Bobby Bland, Junior Parker, The Impressions, Ike & Tina Turner among others all had chartable 45's; at least in the "race" charts.
I have to agree with David, Goldman's is a trip and still a place to buy size 52 Union suits!
Now ask a high schooler what those are!

Mike - I never would have guessed you were that OLD. You look good for your extended years.

I pulled out the Marshall Field's cookbook that we bought as the stores were being changed to Macy's.  They offered a very nice menu if the recipes are a clue.

Jim
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1069
RE: Lunch Counters & restaurants in department stores 2012/02/21 13:03:56 (permalink)
Now that you mentioned it, I think years ago we ate at the Boston Store,but that was in the 1970s when we visited relatives in Milwaukee.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1