Lunch at Dell Rhea Chicken Basket

Author
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
2003/12/03 09:25:24 (permalink)

Lunch at Dell Rhea Chicken Basket

My daughter and I just had a superb lunch at Dell Rhea, located on old Route 66 south of Chicago. It's known mainly for fried chicken and a nostalgic look, but the mashed potatoes and seasoned roast chicken are worthy of gourmet status.

Here's the best part - we didn't know that Dell Rhea has a $5.95 lunch buffet on weekdays! What a deal! Had a chat with the owner, and he is a fanatic about food quality and maintaining Dell Rhea's old-fashioned appearance. Highly recommended even at the reasonable "regular" price.

6 Replies Related Threads

danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Lunch at Dell Rhea Chicken Basket 2003/12/04 09:48:52 (permalink)
    How do you get there? What town is it in?
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Lunch at Dell Rhea Chicken Basket 2003/12/04 14:49:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

How do you get there? What town is it in?

Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket
    645 Joliet Rd
    Hinsdale, IL 60521
    (630) 325-0780

Best route is probably to exit I-55 onto Hwy 83 North. Turn right at the first intersection/light and then keep curving around back around towards I55. Good place, be sure and try the chicken dumpling soup.
    glennpan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Lunch at Dell Rhea Chicken Basket 2003/12/04 17:51:43 (permalink)
    Danimal,

Dell Rhea's is on a par with White Fence Farm. It is a pretty small place though. In fact,it is only about a 10-15 minute drive from WFF.

Right off of I-55 and Rt 83, it is on a frontage road practically in an industrial park facing the highway.

Good chicken, nice side dishes, same price range as WFF although I did not know about the lunch buffet (gotta try that).

Glenn
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Lunch at Dell Rhea Chicken Basket 2005/08/16 13:02:00 (permalink)
    I loved this place...some of the best fried chicken out there and the home-made biscuits are heavenly. Our server told us they get their chickens from a particular supplier. They taste the way chicken used to taste, not shot-through with hormones. I think they used to have live blues on the weekend. Sometimes, I feel like driving the 5 hours plus just to taste their chicken.
    BillC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Lunch at Dell Rhea Chicken Basket 2005/08/16 20:15:12 (permalink)
    Funny story... I viewed the above post when SandyThruthegarden sent it this afternoon, while I was at work. I absolutely agreed with everything she said including the part about the 5 hour drive (thinking it a coincidence that is how long it would take me to get there). Since I choose not to post from work, I made a mental note to second everything she said when I got home. While we were eating dinner, my wife said "I registered on Roadfood while I was at work this afternoon". OK, no surprise, she'd been talking about doing it. I asked "What's your screen name"? Yeah, you guessed it, SandyThruthegarden.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Lunch at Dell Rhea Chicken Basket 2005/08/22 08:36:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BillC

Funny story... I viewed the above post when SandyThruthegarden sent it this afternoon, while I was at work. I absolutely agreed with everything she said including the part about the 5 hour drive (thinking it a coincidence that is how long it would take me to get there). Since I choose not to post from work, I made a mental note to second everything she said when I got home. While we were eating dinner, my wife said "I registered on Roadfood while I was at work this afternoon". OK, no surprise, she'd been talking about doing it. I asked "What's your screen name"? Yeah, you guessed it, SandyThruthegarden.

Too funny! Welcome to you both!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1