Lunch route delivery business

Author
arkylady
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/09/06 10:46:17 (permalink)

Lunch route delivery business

I have access to a commercial kitchen that I can get licensed, so I have been working on ideas how to use this space to kick start the food business I keep dreaming about setting up! I've been in food service for over 20 years either as the owner or as general manager.

The kitchen I have access to would be a kitchen only with no dining area. I also wouldn't be able to do a carryout/drive-thru type setup either. So I started thinking about having a lunch route where on certain days I go to certain places, mostly businesses, and sell my food there. I would have a hot and cold hold setup in my vehicle to keep the food in temp.

I'm hoping that some here have done something similar and could give me ideas as to how this would work. I eventually want to do a mobile kitchen, but this is what I have for starters. Any ideas about types of foods that hold well or other thoughts on how the business would operate would be greatly appreciated!

Hafta get to work now, check back later. Thanks!

4 Replies Related Threads

JodyP
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Lunch route delivery business 2011/09/06 11:27:31 (permalink)
    I have looked into doing something similar. I spent a brief amount of time in the car business and we used to have a girl come by and sell sandwiches, chips and drinks out of her car. She of course was operating completely under the radar. In some states like Georgia catering trucks fall under a different category then food trucks. (Prepackaged food verses fresh made food.) Catering trucks can run routes and food trucks are limited to two locations. I think any fresh made sandwiches, soups, and desserts would sell well. First I would go by the businesses you are targeting to make sure it is OK. I would look for large employee based businesses that are not near any quick food source. A lot of these businesses only allow 30 minutes for lunch and would be ripe for onsite food sales. I honestly believe that done right this would be a great food venture.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10411
    Re:Lunch route delivery business 2011/09/06 19:15:11 (permalink)
    I've worked in call centers that have had outside sources come in and have a quick Breakfast and lunch available in the break rooms. Hours were usually 8AM to 2PM. The vendors did well. I'd say you need a business that has at least 100 employees to make it work. Younger people will spend money, older employees tend to bring their lunch and occasionally splurge once or twice a week.

arkylady
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Lunch route delivery business 2011/09/08 10:26:07 (permalink)
    Thank you both for your comments! A few people have started up this type of business in town, but none of them were licensed so they didn't last long. They all did well selling their food while it lasted though, so I think this could be a worthwhile venture.

I was planning on starting with sandwiches, soups, salads, desserts and baked goods, so maybe I'm on the right track. I've also thought of doing prepared meals people can take home to cook/heat up. Still doing some experimenting of my own on that idea working out recipes that freeze well, etc.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10411
    Re:Lunch route delivery business 2011/09/08 19:12:55 (permalink)
    Many offices have 30 minute lunch breaks. You'll need to plan your menu accordingly.
    5 minutes to and from work station. 5-10 minutes for potty and/or smoke break. That means only about 15 minutes to eat.
    Most work places won't have a place for employees to put "take and eat" meals before they get off work. Refrigerator and freezer space is limited. I'd re-think that until you get set up and can evaluate the situation of cooling capability.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1