The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

M & J Sanitary Tortilla Factory

dkp

• Total Posts: 57
M & J Sanitary Tortilla Factory Fri, 02/25/05 10:23 PM (permalink)
For those of you who have been to Albuquerque and tried the old M&J, it has opened under new ownership. However, it doesn't cast a shadow on the old place. Prices are higher, by about two to three dollars, and the food isn't that great. Everything we tried was very salty, except the guacamole dip, which was probably the one good thing on the menu. So, if any of you out there are looking for a good New Mexican restaurant, I think you can skip this one. Sure miss the old place, and the great people who ran it.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
    RE: M & J Sanitary Tortilla Factory Sun, 02/27/05 10:57 AM (permalink)
    Personally, I am very leery of any establishment that has the word "sanitary" in its name. I am reminded of a barber shop that existed during my childhood, and was called "The Sanitary Barbershop". Trust me--it wasn't.

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
      RE: M & J Sanitary Tortilla Factory Wed, 03/9/05 2:44 PM (permalink)
      Had breakfast there about 2 years ago, not sure if it was the old or the new ownership. It was a bit seedy inside, needed repair, but was clean. I recall lots of just okay New Mexican food with great tortillas.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
        RE: M & J Sanitary Tortilla Factory Wed, 03/9/05 6:36 PM (permalink)
        "Like garbage companies call themselves "sanitary services" and say they dump in the "sanitary landfill."

I guess that companies think that if they say the word, we will believe it. Or maybe not.

As Mae West said, in a totally different context, "What is this, propaganda?"

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
          RE: M & J Sanitary Tortilla Factory Wed, 03/9/05 7:32 PM (permalink)
          There's a place in Beaufort, NC called the Sanitary Restaurant. Exceptional seafood!
          It's a very old place and I remember it being an old name. . . something to do with certifications and inspections back in the earlier part of the century when it really was an issue whether some place was actually sanitary or not.

dkp

• Total Posts: 57
            RE: M & J Sanitary Tortilla Factory Wed, 03/9/05 9:27 PM (permalink)
            As I remember being told back in the 70's when I first moved to Albuquerque, they took the word sanitary, as there were a lot of places making tortillas here, and most of them were not very clean. So the folks who started this restaurant/tortilla factory, added the name "Sanitary". It is a place that is sorely missed!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com