MLB Wild Card intrique...

Author
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1627
2011/09/26 09:21:18 (permalink)

MLB Wild Card intrique...

In the American League, Yankees close out the season with 3 games at Tampa Bay, who are one game back of the Red Sox in the wild card race. At the same time, Boston has 3 games at the Orioles. Similar situation in the National League...Phillies have 3 games at Atlanta, who have a one game edge of St. Louis. Cards end the season with 3 at Houston. Yankees & Phillies only goal in the three games is to get set up for the playoffs & try to make sure no one gets hurt. Do they go with their "A" team or rest the regulars & risk the charge that they let someone "back into" a playoff spot?

25 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5077
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/26 16:00:48 (permalink)
    Go Braves!  As a Brewers fan I would rather face them in the first round than the Phillies or Diamondbacks.

But if the Brewers get the #3 seed and the Braves get the WC spot then Milwaukee would have to face Philly in the first round...so in that case, go Cards!

Brad
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2635
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/26 16:52:16 (permalink)
    Brad,
    I've heard some say the chances of beating the Phillies in a 5 game series are better than in a 7 game series.  So there may be an upside of facing them first.

Anyway, it all comes down to how the teams are playing right now.  There are no free passes to the World Series.

Jim
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/26 16:57:45 (permalink)
    Aw, who cares? The Giants are out of it.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2635
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/26 17:15:53 (permalink)
    Screaming Brad - We won't want to miss "Catching Hell" tomorrow. Hard to get tired of watching Bartman becoming the fall guy for the failure of the Northside major league team.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/26 23:18:09 (permalink)
    I am enjoying the collapse of yankees north even though St Petersburg does not deserve as good a team as they have.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5077
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 09:25:45 (permalink)
    Perhaps the Red Sox and Braves can get together for a few games of Wiffle ball...

Brad
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1157
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 12:10:31 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Perhaps the Red Sox and Braves can get together for a few games of Wiffle ball...

Brad

Wish I could hit "like" on your post! And lol @ "go Braves". SO nice to sweep them out of the playoffs last night, although it took 13 innings to do so. However, we'll be facing the Cards, and they slaughtered us last time we played them.

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3142
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 12:17:00 (permalink)
    I found last night's action to be the most exciting baseball I have witnessed in ages - it is too bad we couldn't watch each game continuously one after another.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 12:18:10 (permalink)
    But the way the Red Sox went down and the Rays went up inside of 3 minutes was just unbelievable.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 13:32:02 (permalink)
    That really was an amazing night of baseball.  Three of the four games completely turned late in the game.  And every game turned out as I was rooting and that never happens!  Can the playoffs possibly be as exciting?    
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 14:41:41 (permalink)
    Bill Buckner just got absolved by the entire Sox team!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10264
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 15:20:46 (permalink)
    Conspiracy Theories Abound!
    Jock Talk shows think the Yankees let the Rays win after they got word the Red Sox lost. 
    3 1/2 minutes after the Red Sox game, the pitch for the homer was a lightweight fastball right down the middle of the plate.
    Makes you wonder doesn't it?????????
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 16:15:07 (permalink)
    Makes me wonder a lot of things.  Like wouldn't it be beautiful to see the  Rays kick Yankee butt and win it all.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 16:55:37 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Jock Talk shows think the Yankees let the Rays win after they got word the Red Sox lost. 
    3 1/2 minutes after the Red Sox game, the pitch for the homer was a lightweight fastball right down the middle of the plate.

As a Yankees fan, I would rather have seen the Yankees face  the Red Sox than Tampa Bay-  so it doesn't make sense  why the Yankees would let Tampa Bay beat them when it seems that they would actually be the more challenging team to beat in the playoffs.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 17:48:49 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Foodbme

As a Yankees fan, I would rather have seen the Yankees face  the Red Sox than Tampa Bay-  so it doesn't make sense  why the Yankees would let Tampa Bay beat them when it seems that they would actually be the more challenging team to beat in the playoffs.

Who knows? Maybe the Yankees think they have a better chance against  Tampa.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 18:24:21 (permalink)
    Foodbme

wanderingjew

Foodbme

Can't imagine why,  at the rate things went in September, if in some alternate bizarro alternative universe, Baltimore was in the playoffs, even THEY would have been tougher to beat than the Red Sox.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 18:34:20 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Foodbme

wanderingjew

Foodbme

Can't imagine why,  at the rate things went in September, if in some alternate bizarro alternative universe, Baltimore was in the playoffs, even THEY would have been tougher to beat than the Red Sox.

Some people think the Yankees live in some "alternate bizarro alternative universe" ever since Madonna put a curse on them!!!
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 22:04:16 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Foodbme

Hopefully it bites the Yankees and their front-running fans right in the ass.  It's getting tiring watching the Yankees purchase a new championship every year.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/29 22:48:44 (permalink)
    saps

wanderingjew

Foodbme

Hopefully it bites the Yankees and their front-running fans right in the ass.  It's getting tiring watching the Yankees purchase a new championship every year.

The Yankees didn't buy anything this year- they couldn't even buy a good pitching rotation. 
    If any team did the buying this year it was The Red Sox and look where it got them!

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/30 00:30:49 (permalink)
    What a night! I consider the Red Sox the moral equivalent of the Yankees and was delighted to see those overpaid losers choke and watch the underdog Rays triumph. Go Tigers/
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/09/30 17:40:27 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

saps

wanderingjew

Foodbme

The Yankees didn't buy anything this year- they couldn't even buy a good pitching rotation. 
    If any team did the buying this year it was The Red Sox and look where it got them!

Yankees still have the highest payroll by almost 30 million over Philly and 50 million over Boston.
    Amazingly, Tampa Bay's 2011 payroll is under 45 mil
    harriet1954
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/10/01 22:14:59 (permalink)
    Well, we've won the first one -- 11-6. Right now the Yankees are "beating" the Tigers 2-0. Say what you will (because I don't badmouth other teams, yet everyone loves to talk sh*t about the Phillies), but we're a team with old-fashioned values and we "bought" (for lack of a better word) the best pitchers in MLB. Let anyone dispute that fact. As for the bats, they woke up and they woke up real fast in this first game. And the postseason looks interesting...
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/10/02 04:17:16 (permalink)
    harriet1954

Well, we've won the first one -- 11-6. Right now the Yankees are "beating" the Tigers 2-0. Say what you will (because I don't badmouth other teams, yet everyone loves to talk sh*t about the Phillies), but we're a team with old-fashioned values and we "bought" (for lack of a better word) the best pitchers in MLB. Let anyone dispute that fact. As for the bats, they woke up and they woke up real fast in this first game. And the postseason looks interesting...

Who's the "WE" you keep talking abouit???????
    harriet1954
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/10/03 19:50:02 (permalink)
    You'll know when we win the World Series again.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:MLB Wild Card intrique... 2011/10/12 16:14:39 (permalink)
    Ok I will admit it here - I AM A CUBS FAN!

That being said, I have found that this season's post season has been exciting to watch.  I don't have a dog in the race (prolly never will in my life time) but each game has been fun to watch.

PS:  If i was a Brewer's player I wouldn't be tweeting negatively about Pujols anymore.  He flat out killed them the other night.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1