MR. G'S HAMBURGERS IN BAL'MORE, HON...

Author
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2003/12/23 10:14:50 (permalink)

MR. G'S HAMBURGERS IN BAL'MORE, HON...

Anyone ever eaten at Mr. G's Hamburgers in Baltimore ??

It's on Charm City's Route 40 at Johnnycake (yes, Johnnycake) Road. I passed by it last week and while it had all of the Road Food appearance criteria, I was just curious if any of you had actually dined there.

5 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7684
    RE: MR. G'S HAMBURGERS IN BAL'MORE, HON... 2003/12/23 10:22:05 (permalink)
    Sorry, I haven't, however Signman may be the man to ask!
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: MR. G'S HAMBURGERS IN BAL'MORE, HON... 2003/12/23 10:27:04 (permalink)
    I've passed it a ton of times but never stopped in.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: MR. G'S HAMBURGERS IN BAL'MORE, HON... 2003/12/24 04:09:00 (permalink)
    I'm guessing Mr. G's has been there since the 50's. It's the only survivor of that era on Rt. 40 just inside the beltway. Champs and the Varsity were nearby and lasted until the 60's. Both were curb service type places. Mr. G has grown to it's present size from just a walk up window type soft ice cream place.

The soft ice cream tastes more like chalky chemical glop than a good fresh dairy taste. While I've never had the hamburger, I have had cheesesteaks there and they all suffer (just like almost every other sub sandwich in Baltimore) from the fact that they are served on H & S Bakery sub rolls which to me are just like eating wet cardboard. Undoubtedly they are the cheapest rolls in the marketplace and the fact is people here just don't know any better.

If in the area you can do better at Sorrento's, which is just about a mile away on same side of street, but outside the beltway at Rolling Road. They use a better roll and last time I checked, sold a whole (that's 2 halves) cheesesteak for $4.99. Like all places here, they chop the steak into little tiny bits.

Memo to any of "youse" RF'ers passing thru BMore town. Give me a call. I'm hungry.

Happy Holidays to all.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: MR. G'S HAMBURGERS IN BAL'MORE, HON... 2003/12/29 20:41:49 (permalink)
    Thanks, signman, for the reply. Will skip Mr. G's and head to Sorrento's the next time I'm in town looking for Marty Bass.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: MR. G'S HAMBURGERS IN BAL'MORE, HON... 2003/12/29 21:40:06 (permalink)
    Mr G's used to be the place to go back in the 60's & early 70's but they just keep going on old kuddo's now. I go almost right past it every day (work around the corner) and haven't been into it in about 20 years. There was a place accross the way from it that was making really good subs. They baked their own bread, a little different but real good. The original owners sold the place to middle easterners & it just ain't the same. They even carry kebobs there now. Haven't been to Sorrento's in a while either, used to get a real good breakfast sub there but I'm not sure they open that early anymore.

i95, you meet up with Marty, tell him OCDreamr says hey!!

Finally, any of youse Roadfood guys had better let me know when your in my neck of the woods. I work at SSA in Woodlawn. Yes, folk thats the place that takes your money, but I don't take it I spend it!!! And I live in Catonsville.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1