2003/11/18 05:10:16 (permalink)

MSNBC Fast Food report

Or, 'where you should not eat' .

http://www.msnbc.com/news/992692.asp

10 Replies Related Threads

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: MSNBC Fast Food report 2003/11/18 08:17:51 (permalink)
    Well, there ya go !! A good reason to read the postings on RoadFood and find all the great local places where you can get freshly prepared GOOD food !!!!
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: MSNBC Fast Food report 2003/11/18 08:24:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

Well, there ya go !! A good reason to read the postings on RoadFood and find all the great local places where you can get freshly prepared GOOD food !!!!

I think that MOST restaurants serve food that is so fat and calorie laden.........have you ever read any of their recipes? It is amazing how much butter and cream and lard that they use.....that is why it all tastes so good" />" />" />
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: MSNBC Fast Food report 2003/11/18 17:51:37 (permalink)
    After eating at this McDonalds in Erwin, Tenn., last March, one hundred people became violently ill. Some ended up in the hospital, dehydrated and even hallucinating

...yes, officer. It was the hamburger that made me see all the lizard-people.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4085
    RE: MSNBC Fast Food report 2003/11/18 18:48:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

After eating at this McDonalds in Erwin, Tenn., last March, one hundred people became violently ill. Some ended up in the hospital, dehydrated and even hallucinating

...yes, officer. It was the hamburger that made me see all the lizard-people.

Hey buddy--------ya wanna buy a cool----burger?
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: MSNBC Fast Food report 2003/11/19 09:37:24 (permalink)
    I am getting more than a little paranoid here.The issues of health and cleanliness are huge considering the hepatitis A breakout last week. I don't usually go to fast food places but I travel a lot and sometimes can't avoid a quick bite. I have wondered about the safety of the salads as that's what I usually get. What's a girl to do?
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: MSNBC Fast Food report 2003/11/19 18:50:04 (permalink)
    I rarely eat at national chains anymore. Cleanliness is one of the main reasons. But even that reason was derivative of the main fact that there is no atmosphere in a chain. Roadfood restaurants have atmosphere, and for the most part, the people who work in there are having fun and know that they are in a unique place. Fastfood restaurants encourage robotic service. I have found that no one cares enough to be clean -- what is the incentive?? Look behind the counter in most fast food chains -- it's usually pretty gross.

But, on a brighter note, since discovering the Stern Diaries, I have been happy and found that cleanliness is rarely an issue too.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: MSNBC Fast Food report 2003/11/20 03:04:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marberthenad

I rarely eat at national chains anymore. Cleanliness is one of the main reasons. But even that reason was derivative of the main fact that there is no atmosphere in a chain. Roadfood restaurants have atmosphere, and for the most part, the people who work in there are having fun and know that they are in a unique place. Fastfood restaurants encourage robotic service. I have found that no one cares enough to be clean -- what is the incentive?? Look behind the counter in most fast food chains -- it's usually pretty gross.

But, on a brighter note, since discovering the Stern Diaries, I have been happy and found that cleanliness is rarely an issue too.

I remember when the Subway blitzkreig hit town; I tried them several times but was appalled at the sloppiness of the prep area, which is right in front of you as they prepare the sandwiches.

I don't think I've ever been in a Whataburger in which there wasn't a mop bucket and mop and sign saying 'caution - wet floor' sitting in the middle of the restaurant, even during the peak lunch hour. I suppose that's better than there being a mess there but its not very appetizing to look at or to smell.

I work nights and hit the fast food outlets maybe 1 or 2 times a week because its all that's available and I'm bad about not leaving enough time to fix something at home; I mostly go thru drive-thrus. If I can't see it, it can't hurt me, right [|)].

But slop is not confined to the fast food chains. I refuse to eat at Goode Co. Taqueria here because their fixin's bar is allowed to get to the state of being a slop pit after hundreds of customers pick over it. I've seen salsa sitting out so long it had developed a crust on it; they don't keep the trays of sliced tomatoes, pickles, onions, salsa, etc. (they probably serve more burgers than tacos) iced down well. I've seen buspersons pass back and forth by it dozens of times while I've been in there and take no steps to pick up food that's been spilled on the floor or slopped all over the fixin's area.
    Roy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: MSNBC Fast Food report 2003/11/20 17:09:33 (permalink)
    After seeing this article on tv, I couldn't bring myself to eat at any fast food place while on a road trip the other day. The restaurants located at every exit on the Interstates seem to be the worst. Many's the time I have seen an item returned to the counter for replacement due to the appetizing presence of hair. Forget the replacement....I'm gone!
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: MSNBC Fast Food report 2003/11/24 05:59:20 (permalink)
    Consumer Reports routinely evaluates national restaurant chains, from fast food to Ruth's Chris Steak Houses.

The most recent CR report on fast food appeared in the March 2001 issue: "The McLean burger is gone, but some meals are still far better for you - and tastier - than others."

The Center for Science in the Public Interest is another source for good dining out advice. I used to be a member and loved passing on copies of their excellent magazine, Nutrition Action.

A thought: Does a self-loving person do fast food if he or she can help it?

hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: MSNBC Fast Food report 2003/11/24 13:06:10 (permalink)
    CR makes for fascinating reading on a lot of topics; hermits tend to be careful shoppers . I get their survey every year to fill out. When it comes to appliances, cars, tvs, etc., I look up the codes, check the boxes, etc. But I can't contribute much on something like the survey of restaurant chains since I've eaten as so few of them , and I find my standards improving almost daily as a result of perusing Roadfood.com .
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1