The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ...

wheregreggeats.com

~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 1:02 PM (permalink)
My record collection, the standard-issue 60's & 70's mix of LP's and 45's has got to go.
I'm at my Mother's garage and put them in a pile ...
4,000 45's
and 800 Albums
They range from Beatles to Manilow, to Owens, to Billy Joel, to Disco, to Funk, to spoken word ... from beat up from years at radio stations, to untouched (in many because they are hideous)
I ran an ad on Craiglist and have two people who have expressed interest ... no idea how to value them.
Any suggestions ???

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
    Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 1:08 PM (permalink)
    Many of folks on CL will end up flipping them for good profit.

Try contacting the several shops in the East Village. That's right up their alley.
    <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 08/22/12 1:21 PM>

flyseye

• Total Posts: 467
      Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 1:18 PM (permalink)
      Unless they are really rare, pitch the beat up ones, or try a garage sale. For the ones in good shape, the college kids are getting into vinyl, so they will go for the popular rock stuff in good condition (Beatles,Stones,Doors etc.) As a rule the albums that are really valuable are the oddball rarities in the rock/folk/blues field. I would go the Ebay route if you have any of these. You can get a feel for the values by checking the Ebay completed listings, but remember condition is everything. I have done quite well selling vinyl on Ebay.

Edit- I see you have a lot of 45's, if they have picture sleeves you can do well with many of those even if the records are not in the best of shape. Wish I was close enough to go through them. If you have any original Elvis/Beatles/Stones picture sleeves they should be worth something decent at worst. 
      <message edited by flyseye on Wed, 08/22/12 1:26 PM>

flyseye

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 1:40 PM (permalink)
        As far as value, beat up 45's with no picture sleeves-worthless.
        Albums by popular rock artists in great condition selling in bulk-at least a couple of bucks apiece.
        Beat up Manilow/disco/country albums-worthless.
        Anything else can vary wildly, I would bet money with that big a collection you have at least a few items that are quite valuable.

Edit;Hint, some of the albums you consider hideous may be the most valuable. 
        <message edited by flyseye on Wed, 08/22/12 1:48 PM>

wheregreggeats.com

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 1:57 PM (permalink)
          I think I'll go out and refresh my memory ...

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
            Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 2:17 PM (permalink)
            I have collected and bought and sold records for forty years. Value is about condition and rarity. If you want send me a PM with more info and I can help you.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
              Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 2:26 PM (permalink)
              I'm with flyseye, wish I could look thru those.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 2:44 PM (permalink)
                The key to this is how much time do you have to sort and appraise singles or bunchs (by genre or by artist).  I got rid of about 100 rail books and HO rail stuff on some of the rail websites, not ebay or Craigslist.  But I have time to burn, so sorting and 'bundling' wasn't an issue.  You are dealing with much larger numbers and it will depend if you want to pull ALL the 'Jerry Lee Lewis' media out of the stacks, as to what you can ask for it....or Ray Charles, or Hank Williams Jr, or Henry Mancini ???

Doing a consignment with a local Goodwill store is another option. They do the sales and you split the take...

wheregreggeats.com

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 2:51 PM (permalink)
                  I just went out and looked over the lot ... everything is in much better condition than I remembered.  Many near mint.
                  I'm really perplexed.
                  My gut says $1,800 for the lot ... my brain says I'm out of my mind ... yet I'd rather give it away than take $500 for what amounts to almost 15 cases of records.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 3:22 PM (permalink)
                        If you set up a listing saying-    " $1800.00 ---  WILL CONSIDER OFFERS",  you will probably get 'Lo-Balled' to death, but that would give you the option of negotiating a bit if you wanted to.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 3:25 PM (permalink)
                      Mistake:  I ran an ad just saying I was coming into town and was going to refresh my memory, sort things out and didn't mention a price.  
                      Now I wish I had.

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
                        Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 3:31 PM (permalink)
                        Ok. The reality is that, despite condition, most of them probably are worth nothing. Collectors are looking for very rare records and will pass on most items. You would be lucky to get $500 probably let alone $1800.  Collectors have no interest in Manilow, or Billy Joel or most popular stuff. Even well know artists like the Beatles may ahve records of little value. Rarity and condition are the key. I would suggest talking with a collector/ appraiser to see what you have. Let me know if I can help.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                          Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 3:45 PM (permalink)
                          wheregreggeats.com

I just went out and looked over the lot ... everything is in much better condition than I remembered.  Many near mint.
                          I'm really perplexed.
                          My gut says $1,800 for the lot ... my brain says I'm out of my mind ... yet I'd rather give it away than take $500 for what amounts to almost 15 cases of records.

I got a peach crate full (98) at a garge sale for 20 bucks. Unless you have some real rare ones, they are not worth much at all.

flyseye

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 5:51 PM (permalink)
                            If you are looking to unload in bulk, you arent going to get much. If you have the time to list some of the better albums on Ebay, I would suggest that route. I just checked and, just for instance, the Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" LP with the zipper cover in VG+ condition or better are selling for $10-$20 left and right. The standard Beatles "Abbey Road" (Apple) is going for 5-10 bucks.Manilow albums arent selling at all. If you unload in bulk, dont expect much.
                            <message edited by flyseye on Wed, 08/22/12 6:00 PM>

wheregreggeats.com

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 6:14 PM (permalink)
                              Sold: $1,800 ... to a collector ... we are both happy.
                              I'm glad to not ever have to lug them from one dormant long-term resting spot to another ever again.
                              I sure wish I'd have found a thread like this myself ... someday someone will, I hope it helps.

Sundancer7

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 6:18 PM (permalink)
                                Greg, I am glad you sold your collection but you may have undersold by a lot.  I know nothing about records but I had a few and Roz sold 5 four $300.  There is ahuge market for them now.

My neighbor sold 100 33's for $5000??

Go figure.

Paul E. Smith
                                Knoxville, TN

flyseye

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 6:18 PM (permalink)
                                  Hey, good for you ! You must have had better stuff than you thought.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                    Sundancer7

Greg, I am glad you sold your collection but you may have undersold by a lot.  I know nothing about records but I had a few and Roz sold 5 four $300.  There is ahuge market for them now.

My neighbor sold 100 33's for $5000??

Go figure.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

Well Paul ...
                                    Over the years, I've been watching, looking at eBay ... taking what I have into consideration ... walked through a lot of used vinyl stores (most now defunct) ... paid to move them, moved them, paid to store  them ... There are a couple better deals than others ... as a collection, it had been worked through my years as a DJ ... they were annoying me ...
                                    No Beatles butcher covers, nothing exceptional (as so many pointed out, the million-selling albums (well, there are millions of them) ... It was a fair arms-length transaction ... I'm not looking back.
                                    I've heard stories of people putting theirs to the curb ... I am walking the line just right.

flyseye

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 6:36 PM (permalink)
                                      It sounds like you had a better idea of what you had than you let on in your initial post, and that you got a fair price for them. You probably could have gotten more, but selling records on Ebay is very time consuming, and a lot of work. For selling in bulk, sounds like you did very well indeed. Good for you.
                                      <message edited by flyseye on Wed, 08/22/12 6:38 PM>

wheregreggeats.com

Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                        I saw how many lots, LP's singles, etc. go unsold on eBay ... the collection lives $3000 miles away from me (and my turntable) ... my middle post was more to the point.
                                        Chances of finding a good end-user who will appreciate it, here in the boonies ... all good.
                                        He didn't inspect it record by record.  We both felt is was fair.
                                        End Result:  I felt no remorse.  That to me is always the key "gut check"

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                                          Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Wed, 08/22/12 8:09 PM (permalink)
                                          Greg.....ya got $1800 richer and one less heache.  Sounds good to me.  Someone else makes out?  Well, you helped out your fellow man.  And it got over and done quickly.

It's like the stock market......I sell when I'm happy with the profit.....if someone else makes more later on.Gawd Bless 'em.  Can't worry about the ones that got away.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Thu, 08/23/12 9:00 AM (permalink)
                                            The point is you got what you thought was a good price...He is happy, You are happy. End of story.   Maybe you could have gone higher, but maybe not. Congratulations on a completed transaction.
                                            AL

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
                                              Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Thu, 08/23/12 11:54 AM (permalink)
                                              Turn them into bowls and sell then for $25 each.

http://www.wikihow.com/Ma...s-out-of-Vinyl-Records

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                                Re:~ MY FR#$%^ING Record Collection ... Fri, 08/24/12 11:41 PM (permalink)
                                                <<Greg, I am glad you sold your collection but you may have undersold by a lot. I know nothing about records but I had a few and Roz sold 5 four $300. There is ahuge market for them now.
                                                My neighbor sold 100 33's for $5000?? >>

Not sure I believe that one bit (not questioning you, just what you may have heard). You'd have to give some specific examples of what was in these lots. As most posts have mentioned, it has to be really something special to generate the big bucks these days.

I've been "collecting" (not really a big buyer, just an "accumulator" via record shows, yard sales, junk stores, etc for over 40 years) and I'd be happy to get $1,800 for a simliar amount of 45s and LPs as Gregg sold. In fact, last year I had to dump about 400 LPs due to a flooded basement  (Irene), and in a way I was happy just to not have to have them taking up storage space any more.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com