Mac and cheese hints

Author
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
2013/03/01 17:39:48 (permalink)

Mac and cheese hints

After seeing some great mac and cheese photos here lately, my vegetarian partner makes terrible mac and cheese even when using recipes. To me the big thing is the kinds of cheese you use. Last try she used whatever we had around and some did not melt or blend very well. Today I was talking to a friend who went and got 2 kinds of cheddar and some Velveeta and had a rock lump too. My question is, what kinds of cheese are best to make a good, soft, creamy mac and cheese!

13 Replies Related Threads

Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2320
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/01 17:50:13 (permalink)
    There is no such thing as "best."  Do whatever works for you.  As for me, the base cheeses are always fontina and gruyere.  I accent those flavors with whatever suits my fancy at the time.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/01 20:43:29 (permalink)
    Oooooh...DIY Velveeta!

http://www.the-taste-test...lveeta-cheese.html?m=1

As Ina Garten says...how bad can that be?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/01 21:10:48 (permalink)
    kland, is your partner making a roux first?  I've found that to be the secret to really creamy mac & cheese.  Make the roux, add milk or cream, then add the shredded cheese to that and stir.  If you start with a roux, the variety of cheese you use is almost irrelevant, you'll almost always have a smooth, creamy result.

Buddy
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2524
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/01 21:44:37 (permalink)
    Hi kland01s......Make sure the pasta is either just cooked or a bit Al Dente, I would rather have it to the bite, it will cook more in the oven. After cooking the pasta make sure it rinsed you don't want the pasta starchy, this will make it bind/clump up to much. Some good melting cheese are Asiago, Cheddar, colby, fontina, Gouda, Gruyère, Havarti, Monterey Jack, or Muenster. Blue cheeses and soft cheeses such as Brie and Camembert - For a basic Mac & Cheese...........,Make a Bechamel sauce, make sure its not to think, we want to make this our base sauce for mixing with the pasta, ok to use a shredded cheddar. When the loose cheese sauce is ready mix with the pasta that is well rinsed in a bowl, make sure its not a think mess, you want this to be real loose at this point. Now, get you casserole dish, put a 1/2" layer on the bottom of the dish, layer like lasagna. Now put another kind of shredded cheese on top of this layer. I have used Mozzarella and Jack cheese mixed together, whatever you like. now layer more of the cheese pasta mixture on top of that and keep going until you get to the top layer. When you reach the top you can put on a lite amount of the shredded cheese, then put a mixture of bread crumbs ( could be italian seasoned or just plain) watch the amount of sodium if you worried about salt. Mix the bread crumbs with parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top of the dish....................cook at about 350 to 375 over for about 35 minutes.......all you want to do is combine the cheese not over cook, the top should brown, you can also use panko for the topping, if it isn't browned on top put it under the broiler for a minute............when making the Bechamel sauce make sure it is well seasoned with salt and pepper. ..you can call this a 4 Cheese Mac & Cheese.......Good luck........Bill................P.S. Now take the Velveeta cheese and throw it out in the back yard, I'll send a special truck over to pick it up...........

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7317
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/01 22:22:16 (permalink)
    The racoons, possums and deer will scarf it down before your truck gets there!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8669
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/02 04:17:22 (permalink)
    Mac and cheese can be very simple.And it can be complicated. My Mom's recipe is simple-macaroni, flour ,milk,  butter,salt, pepper-and a very sharp cheddar cheese. Lots of it.She would add chopped tomato, as well. I have followed her recipe for years and never had any complaints. Put the cooked macaroni in the baking dish-whisk the flour, salt ,pepper, melted butter and cheese together-pour over macaroni-bake. Its that easy and that good.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/02 09:39:01 (permalink)
    lleechef

??
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2524
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/02 10:58:24 (permalink)
    lleechef

Lisa, the longer a person lives with someone, the more they start acting like that person..........Promise me this doesn't happen to you.................I figure the animals are to smart for that...........
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 816
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/02 11:13:54 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Oooooh...DIY Velveeta!

http://www.the-taste-test...lveeta-cheese.html?m=1

As Ina Garten says...how bad can that be?

Why?

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/02 11:16:48 (permalink)
    Gotta shake it up...a lil bit.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/03/02 12:13:59 (permalink)
    pnwchef

Hi kland01s......Make sure the pasta is either just cooked or a bit Al Dente, I would rather have it to the bite, it will cook more in the oven. After cooking the pasta make sure it rinsed you don't want the pasta starchy, this will make it bind/clump up to much. Some good melting cheese are Asiago, Cheddar, colby, fontina, Gouda, Gruyère, Havarti, Monterey Jack, or Muenster. Blue cheeses and soft cheeses such as Brie and Camembert - For a basic Mac & Cheese...........,Make a Bechamel sauce, make sure its not to think, we want to make this our base sauce for mixing with the pasta, ok to use a shredded cheddar. When the loose cheese sauce is ready mix with the pasta that is well rinsed in a bowl, make sure its not a think mess, you want this to be real loose at this point. Now, get you casserole dish, put a 1/2" layer on the bottom of the dish, layer like lasagna. Now put another kind of shredded cheese on top of this layer. I have used Mozzarella and Jack cheese mixed together, whatever you like. now layer more of the cheese pasta mixture on top of that and keep going until you get to the top layer. When you reach the top you can put on a lite amount of the shredded cheese, then put a mixture of bread crumbs ( could be italian seasoned or just plain) watch the amount of sodium if you worried about salt. Mix the bread crumbs with parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top of the dish....................cook at about 350 to 375 over for about 35 minutes.......all you want to do is combine the cheese not over cook, the top should brown, you can also use panko for the topping, if it isn't browned on top put it under the broiler for a minute............when making the Bechamel sauce make sure it is well seasoned with salt and pepper. ..you can call this a 4 Cheese Mac & Cheese.......Good luck........Bill................P.S. Now take the Velveeta cheese and throw it out in the back yard, I'll send a special truck over to pick it up...........

I assume that "special truck" to be a Garbage truck!

JanetPelle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/04/22 15:24:16 (permalink)
    If you are trying to keep it light while still maintaining the flavour, I would suggesting adding a bit of corn starch to your sauce- it thickens it up almost instantly!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6531
    Re:Mac and cheese hints 2013/04/22 15:46:33 (permalink)
    I agree with Budreaux.

Making a roux and melting your cheeses into it a little at a time.  Then add your al dente pasta mix together well.  Pour into prepared 9 x 13 baking pan.  top with bread crumb mixture and some parm cheese

bake until bubbly and light brown.

I like to add some ground mustard into the roux for a bite of zing, also a touch of cayenne.

As for cheeses, whatever you like works

when melting into the roux do it slowly so the cheese wont break.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1