Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mac and cheese

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32
wilewil

• Total Posts: 99
Mac and cheese Wed, 12/8/04 3:22 PM (permalink)
What restaurants or chains make the best mac and cheese. I'm sure some must serve it.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
    RE: Mac and cheese Wed, 12/8/04 4:01 PM (permalink)
    Luby's Cafeterias make wonderful macaroni and cheese.

Andoo

• Total Posts: 85
      RE: Mac and cheese Wed, 12/8/04 4:34 PM (permalink)
      I've never had it but my son says Outback Steakhouse has some. It can't poossibly be anywhere nearly as good as my own

Jim Ross

• Total Posts: 314
        RE: Mac and cheese Wed, 12/8/04 4:52 PM (permalink)
        My favorite is the "Mac and Perch" special at Manny's in Chicago. It's a feature every Friday, started out as fried lake perch with macaroni & cheese, but when the Lake Michigan perch became unavailable they substituted walleye fillets for the perch. Huge serving and totally delicious.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
          RE: Mac and cheese Wed, 12/8/04 5:05 PM (permalink)
          Until recently my memories of the best Mac and cheese were the times , as a small kid, when I was taken to New York City and we ate at the cafeteria where you put money in the slot and out came your chosen food. I just loved the Mac and cheese there. But now that I am a lady in a red hat and purple dress my very fave Mac and cheese is Mac and cheese and lobster served as a side at a new restaurant in Baltimore. It is just wonderful and I could make that my entire meal along with a martini, glass of wine and salad. The name of the restaurant is the Blue Sea Grill and they have fantastic fresh seafood.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17819
            RE: Mac and cheese Wed, 12/8/04 8:38 PM (permalink)
            I don't often eat macaroni and cheese, at home or in restaurants, but a local barbeque chain in the Columbus, Ohio area, City Barbeque, has some excellent macaroni and cheese. I never order a side of it. I always get a quart container when I get my pulled pork or brisket to go.

By the way, I never order sandwiches there. I'll get a pound or two and make my own sandwiches at home. At $4.99 for a pulled pork sandwich I figure I'm saving quite a bit by paying $8.95 a pound and buying my buns at the bakery thrift store down the street.

BBQ Barney

• Total Posts: 161
              RE: Mac and cheese Wed, 12/8/04 9:01 PM (permalink)
              mac n cheese at the Maine Diner is great--quite creamy, with a nice toasted bread crumb crust.

BostonChowHound

• Total Posts: 22
                RE: Mac and cheese Thu, 12/9/04 9:57 AM (permalink)
                When I'm at Virgil's BBQ in Times Square, I generally skip the 'Q and just get some of their great BBQ wings and a side of Mac & Cheese. Very tasty meal.

John

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Mac and cheese Thu, 12/9/04 10:13 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by chezkatie

Until recently my memories of the best Mac and cheese were the times , as a small kid, when I was taken to New York City and we ate at the cafeteria where you put money in the slot and out came your chosen food. I just loved the Mac and cheese there. p]
                  You aren't alone. Arthur Schwartz has the Horn & Hardart's Mac and Cheese recipe:

http://www.foodmaven.com/radiorecipes/mac_cheese.html

In Seattle Beechlers's at Pike's Market has some good M&C served in a little container, you walk and eat.

Feeling more upscale? Fleming's at the Scottsdale Hilton.

zussers

• Total Posts: 232
                    RE: Mac and cheese Thu, 12/9/04 11:11 AM (permalink)
                    Oodles of Noodles in Market Square-Knoxville, TN has great mac and cheese! They just opened up a month ago! Its $3.95 for a small bowl and $4.95 for a large bowl! Both are a great lunch depending on how hungry you are! Its not a fake yellow color and is sprinkled with parm on the top and served with a slice of bread! Yum Yum! I'm not sure what type of cheese they use, its more in the white side but I'll try to find out!

spaniel

RE: Mac and cheese Sat, 12/11/04 12:38 AM (permalink)
                      If I can mention a food store rather than a restaurant, I've had some awesome mac and cheese from the cafe at Bread & Circus (the one near Amherst, MA). It was not quite the perfect and unreproducible mac and cheese of my childhood, but it was close.

dug

• Total Posts: 213
                        RE: Mac and cheese Sat, 12/11/04 1:20 AM (permalink)
                        mac n cheese at "the mitey nice grill" in chicago comes to mind,rich creamy delicious and that wonderful toasted,crunchy bread crumb topping!

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                          RE: Mac and cheese Sat, 12/11/04 8:00 AM (permalink)
                          Burrell's BBQ Pit in Santa Ana. Just one of the many tasty sides.

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                            RE: Mac and cheese Sat, 12/11/04 8:36 AM (permalink)
                            The mac & cheese at Matthews Cafeteria (great no-frills meat-and-three in Tucker, Georgia) is my favorite side in an impressive field.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Mac and cheese Sat, 12/11/04 10:25 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by spaniel

If I can mention a food store rather than a restaurant, I've had some awesome mac and cheese from the cafe at Bread & Circus (the one near Amherst, MA). It was not quite the perfect and unreproducible mac and cheese of my childhood, but it was close.
                              Didn't Bread & Circus in Hadley morph into a Whole Food? (I call them Whole Paycheck, they are sooo expensive -- at least here in Seattle)

spaniel

RE: Mac and cheese Sun, 12/12/04 12:43 AM (permalink)
                                greg, It's been at least 6 months since I was there, so you may be right. I wonder whether they still have the memorable mac & cheese, and whether under Whole Foods prices are even higher - Bread and Circus was not exactly a bargain.

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Mac and cheese Sat, 01/21/06 1:50 AM (permalink)
                                  beleive it or not and not a very roadfoodie place Balthazar in NYC has great mac and cheese at lunch time.

dug

RE: Mac and cheese Tue, 10/16/07 1:59 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by dug

mac n cheese at "the mitey nice grill" in chicago comes to mind,rich creamy delicious and that wonderful toasted,crunchy bread crumb topping!

just had some mac n cheese at the mitey nice grill and after many years this is still one of the best i've tasted[and i've tasted alot]!so comforting on a october afternoon.

tonemonster2

• Total Posts: 187
                                      RE: Mac and cheese Tue, 10/16/07 2:46 PM (permalink)
                                      Capitol Grille....lobster mac & cheese ! Heart attack special.

Wintem01

• Total Posts: 205
                                        RE: Mac and cheese Tue, 10/16/07 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                        Lobster mac & cheese?!?! I'm dyin'. Where is said Capitol Grille?

dug

RE: Mac and cheese Tue, 10/16/07 8:31 PM (permalink)
                                          they have almost 30 "the" capitol grille operations around the country.i have been to the chicago location[streeterville]as well as one of thier the newest outposts in the conrad hotel downtown indianapolis.
                                          offered as a side and consisting of baked campanelles[trumpet shaped pasta]and chunks of lobster.they blend a combination of havarti,mascarpone and grana padano cheeses into a decadent cream sauce and finish it off with toasted panko crumbs and grated white cheddar!
                                          what a friend we have in cheeses!

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                            RE: Mac and cheese Tue, 10/16/07 9:22 PM (permalink)
                                            Here in Fresno it's Mama Lo's.. a soul food place in Chinatown of all places! And since the O.P. mentioned chains.. I have to admit the Cheesecake Factory's deep fried mac and cheese balls are an occasional fave of mine.

pbanjo

• Total Posts: 22
                                              RE: Mac and cheese Sat, 10/20/07 8:20 AM (permalink)
                                              Finally got a chance to drop by Cole Farms in Gray, Maine last week. Kids got the mac and cheese and I couldn't keep my fork away from it. Without a doubt the best I have ever eaten in a restaurant.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                                RE: Mac and cheese Sat, 10/20/07 8:49 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by BBQ Barney

mac n cheese at the Maine Diner is great--quite creamy, with a nice toasted bread crumb crust.

Yes it is good, but they serve it in a timbal. I don't go there often, just think it's highly over rated and pricey for what you get. The last time there I had the fish cakes with mac and cheese and slaw, fair at best. I might have enjoyed it if they gave me a decient portion of mac and cheese. And I hate to say it but the fish cakes were very instituional. Not impressed at all. Chow Jim

MissJohnnycakes

• Total Posts: 37
                                                  RE: Mac and cheese Tue, 10/23/07 11:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  I like my homemade mac and cheese the best, but for restaurant stuff my favorite is Steuben's. They don't do the Death by Cheese bit.

Most restaurants serve what looks like elbows tossed in melted Velveeta or other overly cheesy glop. The pasta should not be drowning, IMO. That's why you'll never find me eating what Boston Market passes off as mac and cheese, or Sweet Tomatoes.

kimkelly

• Total Posts: 2
                                                    RE: Mac and cheese Mon, 10/29/07 2:13 AM (permalink)
                                                    Citizen Smith in Los Angeles has the best mac n cheese I've ever tasted that was not homemade. If you request it, they can even make it with bacon, which is totally decadent.

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
                                                      RE: Mac and cheese Mon, 03/3/08 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                                      I made this over the weekend and it was fabulous. A GMA contest winner.

Best Mac 'n' Cheese Ever from Laura Macek
                                                      Ingredients:
                                                      1 head of garlic, roasted
                                                      1 teaspoon olive oil
                                                      1 pound Cavatappi pasta
                                                      ½ pound sliced Applewood smoked bacon
                                                      1 ½ cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
                                                      ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
                                                      8 tablespoons butter
                                                      ¼ cup minced shallots
                                                      ½ cup flour
                                                      1 quart whole milk
                                                      6 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
                                                      8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
                                                      ½ teaspoon pepper
                                                      1 teaspoon salt
                                                      ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Directions:
                                                      Preheat oven to 350°.
                                                      To roast garlic: Slice ½ inch off the top of the entire head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap garlic head tightly in a square of heavy foil and roast until tender — about 45 minutes. Remove garlic pulp by squeezing garlic head. Smash cloves with a fork to form a paste.
                                                      Cook pasta according to package directions.
                                                      Cook bacon completely. Drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Crumble bacon when cool.
                                                      To make topping: Combine breadcrumbs, crumbled bacon, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Set aside.
                                                      Preheat oven to 375°.
                                                      Sauté shallots over low heat in reserved bacon fat for one minute. Add remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and continue to sauté shallots in butter and bacon fat until translucent.
                                                      Add flour and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Increase heat to medium. Stirring constantly with a whisk, add milk and roasted garlic paste.
                                                      Cook until sauce is thickened (coats the back of a spoon). Remove sauce from heat then add salt, pepper, nutmeg, Gruyere and Cheddar cheeses. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
                                                      Stir in cooked pasta. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle topping to cover entire top. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until sauce is bubbly and topping is browned. Enjoy!

jettababs

• Total Posts: 222
                                                        • Location: Indianapolis, IN
                                                        RE: Mac and cheese Mon, 03/3/08 10:18 AM (permalink)
                                                        The Praline Connection in New Orleans has really good baked macaroni and cheese. They use the long macaroni (hollow spaghetti) and sharp cheddar. Shapiro's in Indianapolis also does a good baked macaroni, very creamy, but with the good crunchy baked noodles on top. I've never had restaurant mac and cheese the way I prefer it and make it at home, though--not baked, with a roux-based sauce and clots of melting cheese stirred through. Probably wouldn't hold as well as baked, and it does take some time to put together.

Porcelina

• Total Posts: 96
                                                          • Location: Morgantown, WV
                                                          RE: Mac and cheese Mon, 03/3/08 11:08 AM (permalink)
                                                          This is really shameful. To me, nothing beats "the blue box". I think it's because real baked mac and cheese is too rich for me to enjoy more than a couple bites of. LOL my favorite Kraft trick is to buy two boxes, throw one away, and use that extra packet of sick orange powder on the first box. I also put ketchup on top of it. Okay, I am going to go bury my head in the sand now.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                                            RE: Mac and cheese Mon, 03/3/08 6:53 PM (permalink)
                                                            This week Albanese's Deli here in Waukesha, Wisconsin is running a lunch special, 1/2 a sandwich from their cold sandwich menu and a side of macaroni & cheese. It was very very very good.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com