Macadamia nuts

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2009/07/02 12:52:59 (permalink)

Macadamia nuts

Any other fans out there? My absolute favorite is the garlic, onion variety. I understand the nuts are bad for you, which makes sense since they taste good!
post edited by chewingthefat - 2009/07/02 12:56:00

18 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/02 16:03:40 (permalink)
    Tom,
       Check your Costco next time you're there. Costco has a "Turtle" candy using Macademia Nuts, Carmel, and Milk Choc.  Sold in 2 lb candy "jars" for $9.99 they are my only candy indulgence since I found them!!!!!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/02 17:19:04 (permalink)
    mayor al

Tom,
       Check your Costco next time you're there. Costco has a "Turtle" candy using Macademia Nuts, Carmel, and Milk Choc.  Sold in 2 lb candy "jars" for $9.99 they are my only candy indulgence since I found them!!!!!

Thanks Al, getting ready to make a Costco run tomorrow, I love Turtles, my favorite candy!!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8355
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/02 22:04:30 (permalink)
    Those sound awesome!! I have a funny story about macademia nuts-my dog Sally( who left us in 2007) apparently ate a whole can one day( we didnt know that at the time) it had been on the counter in the kitchen.When we came home from work, she was unable to move-so we thought she was dying.Long story short, we let her outside before the vet appt, and guess what? Doing her business-and as Bob described was a HUGE business, she was fine.We found the empty can a little while later.The vet laughed....
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10248
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/02 23:03:42 (permalink)
    annpeeples

Those sound awesome!! I have a funny story about macademia nuts-my dog Sally( who left us in 2007) apparently ate a whole can one day( we didnt know that at the time) it had been on the counter in the kitchen.When we came home from work, she was unable to move-so we thought she was dying.Long story short, we let her outside before the vet appt, and guess what? Doing her business-and as Bob described was a HUGE business, she was fine.We found the empty can a little while later.The vet laughed....

That's more information than we need to know, BUTT glad it "Worked Out" OK!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/02 23:05:53 (permalink)
    My favorite Macadamia are plain, lightly salted.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/03 12:10:25 (permalink)
    OK, I will blame Tom...I had the task of picking up a birthday cake for my son (born on July 4th 1976) That's my Bicentennial kid!!, Anyway I took the short "Costco" list with me...picked up 5 or 6 things the boss wanted me to get.....then as I headed for the registers, thru the trail-mix/nut aisle, Two of those Chocolate-Carmel Macademia Nut 'jars' Hijacked my cart and demanded to be taken to Indiana.  What could I do, I am just a helpless retired old guy, unarmed and without the ability to fight off a bunch of Nuts like them !!   So the 'Jars' are safely hidden in my computer desk. I hope the Mistress of the Manner won't sniff them out, although DEMI, our female Scottie is a bit of a tattletale and will 'point' to the location of contraband in the house.  She has done it to me several times.   So, Tom, Thanks for setting me up for a domestic dispute (to come).
    Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 922
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/03 15:02:36 (permalink)

Cool, what a timely topic... I just saw a Burt Wolf show about Hawaii and he says that the first car(s) on Hawaii were used not for driving, ( no roads yet! ) but for cracking open Macs. they put them betwen 2 planks of wood and slowly drove over them...interesting if true, can anyone confirm? 
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/03 17:29:15 (permalink)
    mayor al

OK, I will blame Tom...I had the task of picking up a birthday cake for my son (born on July 4th 1976) That's my Bicentennial kid!!, Anyway I took the short "Costco" list with me...picked up 5 or 6 things the boss wanted me to get.....then as I headed for the registers, thru the trail-mix/nut aisle, Two of those Chocolate-Carmel Macademia Nut 'jars' Hijacked my cart and demanded to be taken to Indiana.  What could I do, I am just a helpless retired old guy, unarmed and without the ability to fight off a bunch of Nuts like them !!   So the 'Jars' are safely hidden in my computer desk. I hope the Mistress of the Manner won't sniff them out, although DEMI, our female Scottie is a bit of a tattletale and will 'point' to the location of contraband in the house.  She has done it to me several times.   So, Tom, Thanks for setting me up for a domestic dispute (to come).

Al, I believe this story has a possible movie angle to it, if so I want my cut!

njguyfla
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/04 12:34:30 (permalink)
    Ben and Jerry has a flavor called Chocloate Macadamia.  It's chocolate covered macadamia nuts with vanilla and chocolate ice cream. It is my new favorite ice cream.
    KonaErnie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 356
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/04 14:00:32 (permalink)
    AHI MPLS

Cool, what a timely topic... I just saw a Burt Wolf show about Hawaii and he says that the first car(s) on Hawaii were used not for driving, ( no roads yet! ) but for cracking open Macs. they put them betwen 2 planks of wood and slowly drove over them...interesting if true, can anyone confirm? 

Living here in the land of mac nuts I can't verify any truth to that statement but anything is possible. They are a PITA to open but they sure do taste good.
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1309
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/07/09 12:52:07 (permalink)
    At least in New Jersey, Walgreens has a house brand of small bags of Macadamia nuts, at $1.00 for a 2 ounce bag (I weighed it to make sure). Doing the math, that comes to $8.00 a pound. I've been buying them at that price for about 4 years. And they move so fast, they stay pretty fresh.

Also, Shop-Rite has a brand called Nature's something or other; I bought a bag last week at the same price, also quite fresh.

Neither are as heavily salted as Mauna Loa.
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/09/02 16:52:35 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Any other fans out there? My absolute favorite is the garlic, onion variety. I understand the nuts are bad for you, which makes sense since they taste good!

Chewie, the nuts are not bad for you!  In fact, it is actually GOOD for you because the mac nut oil is extremely high in monounsaturated fat (the good fat), making it even better than olive or canola oils. Unless, of course you eat the Maui Onion variety which contains MSG & Hydrolyzed soy & corn (a form of MSG). 
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/09/02 16:57:56 (permalink)
    annpeeples

Hey KonaErnie, have you ever heard that macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs?  I never heard it growing up on Maui... but I just heard it on Cash Cab so it must be true!
    KonaErnie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 356
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2009/09/02 17:25:36 (permalink)
    offlady

annpeeples

Hey KonaErnie, have you ever heard that macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs?  I never heard it growing up on Maui... but I just heard it on Cash Cab so it must be true!

My dog's vet told me years ago that mac nuts were indeed toxic to canines but usually not fatal.  I was always very careful about what he was fed but then there were times he'd chew up pairs of rubbah slippah's or coming home with 3 day old dead mongoose and old ahi carcasses.   Fortunately he lived a long healthy life finally passing away from a stroke at the ripe old age of 14 and a half. 

R.I.P  Maxwell, I sure do miss you buddy
    Cheff808
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2012/08/29 06:09:06 (permalink)
    Aloha Offlady, nice to see someone from Hawaii, my wife is from Maui, my name Cheff808 LOL. nice to know. you and KonaErnie.
    samy5
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2012/10/13 06:09:07 (permalink)
    I went to Big Island, Hawaii last year and had lots of Macadamia nuts. Apparently that's their biggest export. Chocolate covered ones are my fav.
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1163
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2012/10/13 15:11:54 (permalink)
    Years ago there was a cookie shop in the mall, I believe it was called "Blue Chip Cookie Co." and they made the best white-choc chip/macadamia cookies, I've ever eaten.  that  type of cookie wasn't very well known at the time, and tried to tweak a choco-chip cookie recipe and swap one out the white choc and macadamias, but couldn't get that same taste. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Macadamia nuts 2012/10/14 02:36:48 (permalink)
    That Nut Case, Rosanne Barr, owns a Macadamia Nut Farm in Hawaii. She's not so nuts I guess!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1