Macaroni and Cheese: Which style?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/10/16 13:33:04 (permalink)
For the record, my  mother's heritage was German from Russia.  She had grown up in Western Oklahoma and lived all her life in the Southwest.   I doubt she had mac and cheese as a child but she made it often enough when I was a kid.   She'd put the salted water on to boil, grate the cheese from the hunk that always in the refrigerator, cook a couple of handfulls of  pasta, drain it, and mix cheese, macaroni, margarine and a little milk in the pan for final heating.  Never used a a prepackaged product or a recipe.  It did not take much longer than the description did to write, or to make it from a box.  Waiting for the water to boil is the longest part.   If it was for company I think she put more cheese on top and baked it, but the basic version was a quick lunch with a hot dog.

That was sixty years ago and there were fewer prepackaged items available.  Many many simple cooking tasks were done as a matter of routine.  But I've never understood the mentality of buying mac and cheese in box.
rainyday6
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/10/22 05:17:47 (permalink)
Thanks for the Noodles Romanoff recipe.  What ever possessed Stouffer's to discontinue their frozen version?

I like Stouffer's macaroni and cheese, and Kraft.  I like the kind with the cheese in a pouch you squeeze out.  If I make the powdered, I open another box and use an extra cheese packet. 
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/10/23 00:31:09 (permalink)
   That extra packet of cheese powder is doubling the sodium in an already high sodium  food. I will usually add some other ingredient like egg yolk to help make it creamier.Maybe a little grated Parm or Cheddar.

David O.
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/10/23 01:56:34 (permalink)
There is an entertainer and cook book writer named Sheila Ferguson.  I am not familiar with her acting or singing career but read her cookbook, Soul Food, which was published in 1989.   In the cover information on the book she stated she was then living in the UK and had written the book to help her daughters be aware of their heritage.   There are several interesting stories in the book.  IIRC she says that Senate Bean Soup and Pepperpot Soup as eaten by Washington's troops at Valley Forge should be attributed to black cooks.  Her recipe for mac and cheese is perhaps  the most extravagent and richest I've ever seen.  I think it has three pounds of cheese for one pound of macaroni amd a can of evaporated milk and so on.  I have to wonder if it is not a phantasy recipe.  Man, what a dish to take to a church supper!

I wander if anyone else on this message board has read her book?

http://www.sheilaferguson.com/bio.html

DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/11/04 10:09:13 (permalink)
I grew up eating the blue box stuff although my mom made a great Italian mac and cheese with ground beef, tomato chunks, ricotta, mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Sort of a mac and cheese/lasagna combo. I also ate a lot of Kraft mac and cheese in college and can easily polish off an entire box myself (my heart goes out to whomever said they shared a box between 4 people ) I personally perfer the stovetop style non baked version as I too find the baked version too dry. It is one of my favorite meals/sides and order it quite frequently. This is a little bit off topic but does anyone know why a lot of restaurants, mainly Diners in NJ, offer mac and cheese with fish/crab/seafood cakes as a Friday night dinner special? I understand fish on Friday, but they have other seafood specials on Friday and every other day for that matter. It's almost guaranteed that I can go into a diner on Friday and get some variation of that special. Any thoughts?

Dave
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/11/04 10:41:10 (permalink)
I do a Macaroni and Cheese with sauteed Jalapenos. When it is done I put it into a Poblano Pepper and make a Chili Rellno out of it. Sounds strange but it works. When you bake the Macaroni and Cheese spread it thinner in the pan so it browns on the top and gets a little crunchy and make sure the crunchy stuff goes into the Poblano Chili....Russ
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/11/04 12:20:01 (permalink)
DPuro329

This is a little bit off topic but does anyone know why a lot of restaurants, mainly Diners in NJ, offer mac and cheese with fish/crab/seafood cakes as a Friday night dinner special? I understand fish on Friday, but they have other seafood specials on Friday and every other day for that matter. It's almost guaranteed that I can go into a diner on Friday and get some variation of that special. Any thoughts?

Dave

As you inferred, this tradition would go back to the days when a common home-cooked meal on Fridays would feature fried fish of some type.  During the depression and the years following, people who might not be able to afford a more expensive whole fish (or just wanted to be economical) would make fish cakes from fish scraps or leftover fish from a previous meal, with bread chunks added to "stretch" the fish.  The macaroni and cheese, also very filling and low cost, was added to give everyone more protein (in the cheese).  Since Diners were the original "eating out" restaurants for the "common" folk, it is not surprising that they would feature a menu item that many people would remember from their childhood as being a favorite that was cooked and eaten at home.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10266
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/11/04 13:36:25 (permalink)
I think it has to do with the "Fasting" aspects of fish on Friday.  Mac & Cheese has the connotation of a fasting food, therefore it ties in
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3142
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/11/04 13:46:57 (permalink)
divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/11/04 13:58:23 (permalink)
I dunno. When you start out by writing "there can be no doubt" it usually means, I'm sure of it so I need to do no research.
Suzy Gruyere
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/12/10 16:10:34 (permalink)
My friend Hilary Havarti and I write a blog that's all about macaroni & cheese: www.weheartmacandcheese.com

Lots of recipes, many different mac types (mostly baked but still, lots of different techniques), entertaining and opinionated reviews. 

A few weeks ago we threw a mac & cheese potluck / cookoff and recently we've been posting the winning recipes. I can't wait to cook the Holy Moly Macaroni myself, it was so tasty!

I hope you'll check out the blog. We welcome guest bloggers' recipes!

Suzy Gruyere
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/12/11 00:36:28 (permalink)
Suzy Gruyere

My friend Hilary Havarti and I write a blog that's all about macaroni & cheese: www.weheartmacandcheese.com

Suzy Gruyere

NOT A VERY FRIENDLY USER WEB SITE. I DON'T BLOG, Twit,or do that other crap!
How do you sign on to get updates on your web site? All Glitz, no practical way to get your info!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6274
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/12/11 08:31:41 (permalink)
Is you Italian cheese expert Joey Provolone????
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/12/11 10:56:36 (permalink)
Suzy Gruyere

Lots of recipes, many different mac types (mostly baked but still, lots of different techniques), entertaining and opinionated reviews. 

A few weeks ago we threw a mac & cheese potluck / cookoff and recently we've been posting the winning recipes. I can't wait to cook the Holy Moly Macaroni myself, it was so tasty!

Suzy Gruyere

Hi Suzy, I love your  blog. welcome. Ignore the technically challenged FBM above :)
   Psst Food by me: you subscribe to their rss feed.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/12/11 12:37:00 (permalink)
bill voss

Suzy Gruyere

Suzy Gruyere

Hi Suzy, I love your  blog. welcome. Ignore the technically challenged FBM above :)
  Psst Food by me: you subscribe to their rss feed.

Yep Bill! I AM "Technically Challenged". When it comes to Technology, I'm Roaring into the 19th Century! I grew up in the "BC" Era, (Before Computers!) There was nothing wrong with Rotary Dial Telephones either although I must admit, I do like to watch Football Games on a Color TV, (Haven't Graduated to HD yet). Maybe I should change my handle to--Foodbme, The Neanderthal!    

EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/12/11 14:59:48 (permalink)
BC...there was a BC?
mland520
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 485
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/12/11 15:26:16 (permalink)
I love the Patti La Belle recipe and have made it for special occasions several times, and it is always a "showstopper". But for regular family dining, I make a white roux, add whatever cheeses I have on hand, any thing from velveeta to colby jack and parm, and place all of that plus the cooked mac noodles in a buttered oven ready dish. Mix well, put some bread crumbs and butter on top and cook in oven for about 45-60 minutes! Crunchy, creamy, and good!
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/12/12 15:51:41 (permalink)
I like the Kroger Shells and Cheese with some Rotel mixed in.  Only every now and then, mind you.

Andrea
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2009/12/12 16:42:26 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad BC...there was a BC?
It stands for Before Commodore. I miss my ol' C64.

You guys are all pikers, too! THIS is how mac and cheese is made. Check out the "easiest ever" recipe: http://www.campbellkitchen.com/SearchRecipesResult.aspx?SearchType=1&q=Macaroni+and+Cheese

ShenB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2010/01/12 01:21:01 (permalink)
boyardee65

That extra packet of cheese powder is doubling the sodium in an already high sodium  food. I will usually add some other ingredient like egg yolk to help make it creamier.Maybe a little grated Parm or Cheddar.

David O.

You're absolutely correct about doubling the sodium with a 2nd cheese pack.  If I want a creamier version from the Blue Box (or equivilent) I replace the milk with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of regular or low-fat small curd cottage cheese and put back on the heat for a couple of minutes.  The results are very creamy with a minimial amount of added sodium.

Another trick to jazz up the cheap box mix is to toss in a handful of fine shredded asiago cheese.
post edited by ShenB - 2010/01/12 01:22:37
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2010/01/12 04:01:13 (permalink)
ShenB

boyardee65

David O.

You're absolutely correct about doubling the sodium with a 2nd cheese pack.  If I want a creamier version from the Blue Box (or equivilent) I replace the milk with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of regular or low-fat small curd cottage cheese and put back on the heat for a couple of minutes.  The results are very creamy with a minimial amount of added sodium.

Another trick to jazz up the cheap box mix is to toss in a handful of fine shredded asiago cheese.

I also like to add some of the more flavorful cheeses to my mac'n'cheese. Cheddar, Meunster, Asiago, Jalapeno Jack, and Mozzerella come to mind. Dont really like the curds in my Mac. though. I will occasionally add heavy crem and 1 egg yolk to the recipe as per Alton's recipe.

JMHO

David O.
Bearadise
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2010/06/09 06:27:56 (permalink)
6star

I am sure you realize that there is a third way, which is really just the "average" of the other two.  Just take the cooked macaroni tossed (mixed) with the cheese sauce (from the first way) and pour it into a greased casserole.  Top it with additional cheese (shredded sharp cheddar preferred) and bake it just until the top browns a little.

Here in Western Massachusetts we do it the above way...but...we sprinkle bread crumbs over the top before baking it. The cheese bubbles up through the bread crumbs and forms a nice "crust." Yummy!

Rich
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2010/06/09 11:17:24 (permalink)
My mom often used the bread crumb topping as an alternate recipe now and then. So do I, today...sometimes she's\d also put some Italian peeled tomato in the casserole..not much, just a bit for flavor and a little color!
Bearadise
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2010/06/09 11:30:41 (permalink)
leethebard
My mom often used the bread crumb topping as an alternate recipe now and then. So do I, today...sometimes she's\d also put some Italian peeled tomato in the casserole..not much, just a bit for flavor and a little color!

My daughter-in-law makes it that way, with the peeled tomatoes in it.  She introduced me to tomatoes in the mac&cheese, and I her to breadcrumbs on top. Funny thing, my wife doesn't like ether way. She simply likes it cooked, mixed then served.

So we mix up a big batch of mac&cheese, placing aside some for those who like it plain-outta-the-pot. Then I take my portion, put in in a baking pan and sprinkle breadcrumbs on it, Amber mixes tomatoes into her portion and puts hers into a baking pan. Then both our pans go into the oven. When they're toasty-golden brown, we take out the pans and we all eat!

Oh BTW, we'll have the extended family over for these meals, so what's not eaten goes home in doggy bags!

Rich
post edited by Bearadise - 2010/06/09 11:34:38
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2010/06/09 11:34:34 (permalink)
There you go..the perfect comfort food..something for everyone, from the same main meal.....funny my mom always used Velveta in the 5o's, and when I tried to alter that recipe with cheddar, my family balked..I guess you get used to something and you grow to love it...My mon made it as a side dish..my kids and wife love it as a main meal!!
shamieya
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2010/07/30 15:04:03 (permalink)
real macaroni and cheese has to be baked- not just thrown in a pan, but mixed with some other good stuff.  it doesn't taste the same any other way. im a macaroni snob- i think i have the best recipe too!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2010/07/30 15:53:43 (permalink)
shamieya

real macaroni and cheese has to be baked- not just thrown in a pan, but mixed with some other good stuff.  it doesn't taste the same any other way. im a macaroni snob- i think i have the best recipe too!

OK Macaroni Snob---post that recipe on here and let the rest of us Mac & Cheese Lovers in on it.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3301
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2011/01/02 19:00:45 (permalink)
Had the best lobster and white truffle mac-n-cheese with Niman Ranch bacon, cheeseburger sliders at Circa in San Francisco. http://www.circasf.com
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18454
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2011/01/02 19:58:27 (permalink)
I think I might have posted this on another thread a couple on years ago, but just in case:

The Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese
Horseradish Grill, Atlanta, Scott Peacock
Bon Appetit September 1995

1 3/4 cups small elbow macaroni
1 1/4 cups 1/2-inch cubes extra-sharp
cheddar cheese (about 5 ounces)
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/3 cups half-and-half
1 1/3 cups whipping cream
2/3 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 cups packed grated extra-sharp
cheddar cheese (about 5 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass
baking dish. Cook macaroni in large saucepan of boiling salted water until
just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta. Transfer to prepared dish.
Mix in cubed cheese. Whisk flour, salt, mustard, black pepper, cayenne
pepper and nutmeg in medium bowl until no lumps remain. Gradually
whisk in half-and-half, then whipping cream and sour cream. Add eggs
and Worcestershire sauce; whisk to blend. Pour over macaroni mixture;
stir to blend. Sprinkle grated cheese over. Bake macaroni and cheese until
just set around edges but sauce is still liquid in center, about 25 minutes
Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes to thicken slightly (sauce will
be creamy). 6 main dish servings.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? 2011/01/02 20:00:59 (permalink)
Oh myod,this sounds like heaven....whipping cream, sour cream.....not for those counting calories...but who cares!!!!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1