The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Made a Great Soup

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
Made a Great Soup Thu, 01/3/08 10:10 AM (permalink)
Yesterday I made a really good soup and it was very easy. Here tis:

Saute 4 zuchinni squash sliced and med. size chopped onion in a stick of butter until squash and onions are soft.

Add a can of condensed cream of potato soup and a can of condensed cheddar cheese soup plus one soup can of water. Stir until smooth.

Add a can of carrots drained, a small can of corn drained, and a large can (or bottle) of tomato juice.

Add either chopped up turkey or chicken (I used grilled chicken in chunks). Stir again until mixed well.

Add salt and pepper to taste and heat up.

My family really enjoyed this and hope you do too.

Sundancer7

RE: Made a Great Soup Thu, 01/3/08 10:25 AM (permalink)
    Sounds really good to me. Nothing like a very good soup during this cold snap that we have.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      RE: Made a Great Soup Thu, 01/3/08 6:43 PM (permalink)
      Sounds wonderful-I have all the ingredients!!Thanks..

SassyGritsAL

RE: Made a Great Soup Fri, 01/4/08 10:06 AM (permalink)
        Ann, let me know how you liked it after you fix it.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
          RE: Made a Great Soup Fri, 01/4/08 4:25 PM (permalink)
          Maybe I am old fashioned (I know I am)-but anything with canned
          carrots and canned soup and canned this and canned that is not
          ever going to be something I would eat or recommend. Sounds like
          not so good food I would avoid like the plague.

I make soup almost every week and it is always from fresh vegetables,
          I can't believe anything with canned carrots can be good.

Never saw Julia Childs, or Jim Beard or Jeff Smith use them either !!!

ann peeples

RE: Made a Great Soup Fri, 01/4/08 9:11 PM (permalink)
            sassygritsal-I will!! Tomorrow is the day as I just had a tooth pulled and can only eat soups, etc...

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
              RE: Made a Great Soup Fri, 01/4/08 9:25 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by the ancient mariner

I make soup almost every week and it is always from fresh vegetables,
              I can't believe anything with canned carrots can be good.

Never saw Julia Childs, or Jim Beard or Jeff Smith use them either !!!

I didn't know there were canned carrots, although I suppose there always have been. I can see using certain canned soups to help make a quick sauce, though.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6204
                RE: Made a Great Soup Sat, 01/5/08 1:45 PM (permalink)
                The only canned food in my kitchen belongs to the cat!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
                  RE: Made a Great Soup Sat, 01/5/08 2:13 PM (permalink)
                  Your cat eats Spam and Beefaroni?

ann peeples

RE: Made a Great Soup Sat, 01/5/08 4:49 PM (permalink)
                    I modified your soup, sassygritsal-I used fresh carrots,milk and cheddar instead of the canned cheese soup, did use the potato soup.Added the fresh zucchini and onions, and some leftover chicken breast.Added a bit of salt, pepper anf thyme.Very good!!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Made a Great Soup Sat, 01/5/08 11:52 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Up in the cold country here, canned is as good as it gets right now (or the frozen packaged option). The stuff from California and whatever other country that it comes in from is pretty darn tasteless. The fruits and vegetables get shipped before they ripen, and by the time they get here, seems like they've unripened some more... Not to mention the inflated prices one pays nowdays.. (Just pulled up a receipt here from the other day, Vine Ripe Tomatoes are $3.49/lb, and my green pepper ran $1.69/lb). They did have a decent price on carrots though, 99 cents a lb., but they where split and pretty rough looking. Ended up buying the Green Giants Baby carrots for around 3 bucks a bag. When the budget is tight, canned items may be the ways to go sometimes, especially during the off season months. But then the cold country has it's advantages also. Paid 99 cents a lb for ground chuck (with which I packed my freezer full), and got a mess of processed and packaged venison for free!

Cheftaz1978

• Total Posts: 11
                        RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 12:02 AM (permalink)

Up in the cold country here, canned is as good as it gets right now (or the frozen packaged option). The stuff from California and whatever other country that it comes in from is pretty darn tasteless. The fruits and vegetables get shipped before they ripen, and by the time they get here, seems like they've unripened some more... Not to mention the inflated prices one pays nowdays.. (Just pulled up a receipt here from the other day, Vine Ripe Tomatoes are $3.49/lb, and my green pepper ran $1.69/lb). They did have a decent price on carrots though, 99 cents a lb., but they where split and pretty rough looking. Ended up buying the Green Giants Baby carrots for around 3 bucks a bag. When the budget is tight, canned items may be the ways to go sometimes, especially during the off season months. But then the cold country has it's advantages also. Paid 99 cents a lb for ground chuck (with which I packed my freezer full), and got a mess of processed and packaged venison for free!

I'm not sure where you are from but I can understand using canned products because of the price of the fresh stuff. Even here in AZ the price of vine ripened are still expensive. We try to buy them only when they are on sale unless we need them for a dish that calls for fresh toms like BLT's. I never heard of paying for carrots buy the pound, that's got to suck.

There are two cooks living in my house, you might know the other one he goes by Boyardee65. When we cook we like to use the freshest products possible but when you have two kids to care for and one of them is 2 months old it is hard to find the time to do that when one is working. Tomorrow my husband is making Fried chicken and that is only possible because I will be around to watch the little ones.

We can all say we want to use the fresh products in our dishes but when it comes down to it it's not always possible for most of us.

JMHO
                        Cheftaz1978

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 12:14 AM (permalink)
                          I'm in Michigan. Yes, price is a major factor in the game, along with the flavor. I can buy corn on the cob right now (4 ears for 4 bucks), but it tastes about as green as it gets. I can go to Sav-A-Lot, drop 45 cents for a can and have a really sweet, much fresher tasting product. So if I was cooking you a dinner, which would you prefer? Green or flavor??

As for being in Arizona, thought you could grow Tomatoes and such year round???

lleechef

RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 12:23 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Negative. She only eats Fancy Feast! Or the occasional mouse or bird, but they don't come in cans.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                              RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 1:01 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by UncleVic

I'm in Michigan. Yes, price is a major factor in the game, along with the flavor. I can buy corn on the cob right now (4 ears for 4 bucks), but it tastes about as green as it gets. I can go to Sav-A-Lot, drop 45 cents for a can and have a really sweet, much fresher tasting product. So if I was cooking you a dinner, which would you prefer? Green or flavor??

As for being in Arizona, thought you could grow Tomatoes and such year round???

People are under the misconception that it stays warm in AZ all year around. Not So. In the Phoenix area, it gets down into the 30's at night and many nights this time of year sometimes below freezing. It's even colder North of Phoenix. The Ski areas near Flagstaff and east of there have been open for weeks! PHX Daytime high's range from 40 to 65 degrees. Not tomato growing season in Dec,Jan, Feb and Early March Most all our fruits & Veggies this time of the year come from Mexico & further South!

matilda

• Total Posts: 667
                                RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 1:02 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

quote:
                                Originally posted by Cheftaz1978

I'm not sure where you are from but I can understand using canned products because of the price of the fresh stuff. Even here in AZ the price of vine ripened are still expensive. We try to buy them only when they are on sale unless we need them for a dish that calls for fresh toms like BLT's. I never heard of paying for carrots buy the pound, that's got to suck.
                                There are two cooks living in my house, you might know the other one he goes by Boyardee65. When we cook we like to use the freshest products possible but when you have two kids to care for and one of them is 2 months old it is hard to find the time to do that when one is working. Tomorrow my husband is making Fried chicken and that is only possible because I will be around to watch the little ones.

We can all say we want to use the fresh products in our dishes but when it comes down to it it's not always possible for most of us.

JMHO
                                Cheftaz1978

Have you never seen carrots in a plastic bag with a tape-tie at the top for sale in your grocers' produce section? They're everywhere here and come in 1, 1 1/2 and 2lb bags. The cost of $0.99 per pound has been the going rate for many, many years. Of course, the more you buy, the more you save. How do your carrots come?

matilda

RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 1:03 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

No. Onion soup at breakfast.

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 1:18 AM (permalink)
                                    Thanks for setting me straight Foodbme.. And ya, I was one of them fools that thought it stayed summer like there year long.
                                    Have all my tools, pots, soil, seeds and such ready to start here, yet I feel it's still a tad bit early.. This store bought crap dont cut it, fresh is far better! (Was hoping you had the option of some fresh grown veggies there).. Below are a couple pics of my backyard from a couple days ago. Soil conditions are not just right yet..

Foodbme

RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 1:47 AM (permalink)
                                      Nice Postcard Pictures Uncle Vic---- Reminds me of my home town in Western PA and why I'm living in AZ!!

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 1:54 AM (permalink)
                                        Not postcard pics, but my actual backyard there.. Emailed them to my sister in West Palm Beach the other day when they had their little chill down also.. Pics are the remnants of our New Years Eve / New Years day snow here...

Foodbme

RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 2:05 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by UncleVic

Not postcard pics, but my actual backyard there.. Emailed them to my sister in West Palm Beach the other day when they had their little chill down also.. Pics are the remnants of our New Years Eve / New Years day snow here...

Figured they were, but you could sell them to a postcard or Christmas Card Company. Good Pics

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 2:09 AM (permalink)
                                            Actually a driving force to make some of SassyGrits soup here!

matilda

RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 8:29 AM (permalink)
                                              What a beautiful view you have!!

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                                Uncle Vic-your yard looks like mine, although we are experiencing a heat wave-42 degrees today-lots of snow has melted.Time to start planting?

matilda

RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 11:42 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by annpeeples

Uncle Vic-your yard looks like mine, although we are experiencing a heat wave-42 degrees today-lots of snow has melted.Time to start planting?

It certainly may be time for seed starting to commence.

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                    RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 2:19 PM (permalink)
                                                    Have had NO luck with seed starting-in the ground they go when my"zone" is ready..

matilda

• Location: Port Royal, SC
                                                      RE: Made a Great Soup Sun, 01/6/08 2:49 PM (permalink)
                                                      The part I always hate is hardening them off to get them ready to plant outdoors--by that time I'm too impatient and just want to stick the suckers into the ground!! LOL!!

SassyGritsAL

• Location: Huntsville, AL
                                                        RE: Made a Great Soup Mon, 01/7/08 10:47 AM (permalink)
                                                        Thans for the insights on my soup. I did make the soup before with sliced fresh carrots and for some reason my family likes them better with the canned sliced carrots. I always use the fresh zuchanni.

Remember, this is how my family likes it with the understanding that you and your family may like it a different way.

Ann I liked your idea of adding the milk and cheddar cheese. Will try this the next time I make it. Glad you enjoyed it.

I use alot of fresh ingredients when I cook, but I also use canned products as well as see no harm in it.

lleechef

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          RE: Made a Great Soup Tue, 01/8/08 8:51 PM (permalink)
                                                          Uncle Vic, where are the grapefruit trees, lemon trees, orange trees, kumquat trees? Oh, I forgot, gotta leave those cold climates and head to the SoCal desert in the winter!

I can't wait to get to SoCal.......freshly picked artichokes, heads of lettuce that are gargantuan, fresh broccoli rabe and of course lots of peppers and tomatoes and other goodies. Makes lots of good soups and lots of good grilling.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com