Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants?

Author
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Joined: 2003/08/22 02:28:00
  • Location: Atlanta, GA
  • Status: offline
2008/02/18 18:13:11 (permalink)

Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants?

Local "Mom & Pop" with several locations, or wanna-be chain? I see a handful in Dane county, and one oddball in Iowa!

http://www.pizzapit.com/

I was curious if this is no better than Pizza Hut or Papa John's, or if they have a better pie? When I see them list one topping as, "canned mushrooms" I don't know if I have much hope. The best thing is it's within walking distance, of where I will be living.

I was told their hot subs were better than the pizza, and much better than Subway or Blimpies. Yes? No?

Any experiences appreciated!
#1

13 Replies Related Threads

    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    • Joined: 2000/09/30 11:01:00
    • Location: Iowa City, IA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/18 18:23:14 (permalink)
    The Iowa City one's pizza is decent. Definately better than Pizza Hut or Papa John's. For quite a while after we moved to Iowa City we always ordered them when we wanted a home delivery. Now we order delivery from The Mill. I consider Pizza Pit delivery in the middle tier of Iowa City pizzas. Top Tier = Wig & Pen, Bob's Your Uncle, The Mill and Paglias.
    #2
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5062
    • Joined: 2004/11/05 14:36:00
    • Location: Stoughton, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/19 09:13:08 (permalink)
    I've never had a Pizza Pit sandwich but have eaten a lot of their pizza over the years, and using your guidelines I would choose them over Pizza Hut or Papa John's. Although now that you've brought up the subject I realize that I haven't had Pizza Pit in some time.

    My understanding is that it's a Madison original. Back in the mid '80s there was also a store in Ames, Iowa, but for the most part I think it's been mostly located around here.

    BTW, you can also get fresh mushrooms. I've had their pizza topped with both fresh and canned and it's actually not too bad.

    So I guess the best advice I can give is to get a small and try it out...I consider it to be decent but not spectacular.

    Brad
    #3
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    • Joined: 2004/10/20 11:58:00
    • Location: Madison, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/19 14:10:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brad_Olson

    I've never had a Pizza Pit sandwich but have eaten a lot of their pizza over the years, and using your guidelines I would choose them over Pizza Hut or Papa John's. Although now that you've brought up the subject I realize that I haven't had Pizza Pit in some time.

    My understanding is that it's a Madison original. Back in the mid '80s there was also a store in Ames, Iowa, but for the most part I think it's been mostly located around here.

    BTW, you can also get fresh mushrooms. I've had their pizza topped with both fresh and canned and it's actually not too bad.

    So I guess the best advice I can give is to get a small and try it out...I consider it to be decent but not spectacular.

    Brad
    I totally agree with Brad on this one. Middle of the road at best, but better than the other two by far. There are far better pizza joints in Madison....my favorite is Pizza La Roma on State St.(right across from Parthenon Gyros, another fave). Ian's on Frances is good, Paisan's, Casa Bianca on the far west side (used to be downtown as well), Pizza La Rocca on Willy St., a new one Pizza Brutta on Monroe St., Greenbush Inn on Regent St......these are just a few of my choices, but will never venture any further than this select group.
    #4
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    • Joined: 2003/09/24 14:20:00
    • Location: Georgetown, DE
    • Status: offline
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/19 16:57:12 (permalink)
    Pizza Pit opened their first store on State St. in the late 60's when I was attending the UW.The pizza was nothing special but they managed to build a big business by delivering anywhere on campus till late at night.They were like the only game in town on a Sunday night.Even 40 years ago they were kind of expensive.
    #5
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    • Joined: 2003/08/22 02:28:00
    • Location: Atlanta, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/19 18:23:01 (permalink)
    If any of you guys get over to the village of Oregon, I'm told some of the best pizza in Dane county can be had at "MARIA'S." That comes from an Italian transplant, who lived in Brooklyn. He went on to tell me, that Maria's is owned and operated by Italian immigrants, who close the restaurant in the summer to return to Italy to visit family.
    Sounds like the real deal... I will find out soon enough!
    #6
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    • Joined: 2004/10/20 11:58:00
    • Location: Madison, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/19 18:45:31 (permalink)
    I've heard Maria's is great. Have not gotten over there to try, but will. It's closed Monday, btw. Are you in Atlanta now and relocating? Just curious. If you are here, welcome! If not, you will be welcome!
    #7
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5062
    • Joined: 2004/11/05 14:36:00
    • Location: Stoughton, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/19 20:19:52 (permalink)
    Yes, Maria's is good pizza and reminds me somewhat of Marsala's in Stoughton. I can't make any claims about authenticity...but it tastes good.

    Brad
    #8
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2625
    • Joined: 2006/12/01 10:05:00
    • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
    • Status: online
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/19 20:58:40 (permalink)
    I grew up with Pizza Pit in Madison. There weren't many national chains then, but PP was superior when I finally tried them. There is another lone Pizza Pit franchise in Manitowoc.

    Pancho - I still haven't tried Pizza la Roma. I really should since the owner bought the house I grew up in from me.

    The Parthenon no longer cuts it for me. Oakland Gyros in Milwaukee is in a whole different league.
    #9
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    • Joined: 2004/10/20 11:58:00
    • Location: Madison, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/19 21:28:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JRPfeff

    I grew up with Pizza Pit in Madison. There weren't many national chains then, but PP was superior when I finally tried them. There is another lone Pizza Pit franchise in Manitowoc.

    Pancho - I still haven't tried Pizza la Roma. I really should since the owner bought the house I grew up in from me.

    The Parthenon no longer cuts it for me. Oakland Gyros in Milwaukee is in a whole different league.
    Wow...next stop for gyros in Milwaukee will be Oakland. I have no basis for comparison...only Madison gyros. Have you tried Cubanitas there for great Cuban food? A cuisine that Madison is sadly lacking and I love. They sure have about everything else here. www.cubanitas.us
    #10
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2625
    • Joined: 2006/12/01 10:05:00
    • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
    • Status: online
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/19 22:00:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pancho

    quote:
    Originally posted by JRPfeff

    I grew up with Pizza Pit in Madison. There weren't many national chains then, but PP was superior when I finally tried them. There is another lone Pizza Pit franchise in Manitowoc.

    Pancho - I still haven't tried Pizza la Roma. I really should since the owner bought the house I grew up in from me.

    The Parthenon no longer cuts it for me. Oakland Gyros in Milwaukee is in a whole different league.
    Wow...next stop for gyros in Milwaukee will be Oakland. I have no basis for comparison...only Madison gyros. Have you tried Cubanitas there for great Cuban food? A cuisine that Madison is sadly lacking and I love. They sure have about everything else here. www.cubanitas.us

    I haven't been to Cubanitas, but have heard good things.

    Order a gyros platter at Oakland. They load it with enough meat for 2 or 3 sandwiches along with one pita. I always choose the Greek salad over the fries. At least I can think I am eating healthy. The owner is usually there and he is a character.
    #11
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2625
    • Joined: 2006/12/01 10:05:00
    • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
    • Status: online
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/02/24 09:38:31 (permalink)
    Pancho,

    I had lunch at Pizza di Roma yesterday. Superb pizza & a great value. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Jim
    #12
    Big_Ted
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    • Joined: 2007/06/10 17:34:00
    • Location: Freeport, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/03/09 03:59:20 (permalink)
    I believe there's a Pizza Pit in Monroe as well. I've eaten there with a friend who grew up on it and he claimed that they were known for their spicier sauce. I found them to be decent but at the time, I had been working at pizza places for about 3 years and I really wasn't in the mood for anything like pizza.
    #13
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    • Joined: 2004/10/20 11:58:00
    • Location: Madison, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Madison, Wisconsin's "Pizza Pit" Restaurants? 2008/03/09 07:48:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JRPfeff

    Pancho,

    I had lunch at Pizza di Roma yesterday. Superb pizza & a great value. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Jim
    Glad to hear that! I think their crust is the best ever. Real NY style slices which I really prefer.
    #14
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1