Mahalia Jackson's Chicken

Author
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3173
2005/12/18 21:34:24 (permalink)

Mahalia Jackson's Chicken

Possibly Milwaukee's best and certainly most well known "soul" food restaurant, Mr. Perkins, started life years ago as a Mahalia Jackson chicken restaurant. Was this a local phenom or were there others?

3 Replies Related Threads

mtstroud
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Mahalia Jackson's Chicken 2005/12/18 22:57:29 (permalink)
    Mr or Mrs. Milwaukee Food Lover,

One location remains to this day in Nashville, Tenn. An article spotlighting its owner can be found at this address (cut and paste into browser):
    http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=10&screen=news&news_id=4097.

Of course, Mahalia Jackson is reputed among many to be the uncrowned "queen of Gospel music."
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3173
    RE: Mahalia Jackson's Chicken 2005/12/18 23:23:40 (permalink)
    It's Mr or better still, Mike.
    Its funny that there was the connection with Minnie Pearl's, as it was that thread that made me recall Mahalia Jackson's.
    Milwaukee was never a beacon of integration, but when her restaurant went up in the 1960's, it was in a mixed clientle neighborhood.
    Mr Mayo sounds like a fascinating man and I'll be sure to try the Mahalia Jackson chicken anong with some of Nashville's hot chicken shops.
    MilMan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Mahalia Jackson's Chicken 2006/01/01 06:45:32 (permalink)
    What a way to start the new year, thoughts of the past and of the future. I ate so much food at Mahalia Jackson's Glori-Fried Chicken that my family used to say I should have bought stock. I still have a menu from back then just to remind me of the Peach pies. It was right where you say, near Capitol Drive. I could not stay away from that building! Years later I was eating Perkin's soul food with my father, one of our last meals together. I have to make my way to Nashville just because, "original recipe" or not. Thank you!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1