Mail Order Food

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CpSpalding
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2008/12/09 10:36:07 (permalink)

Mail Order Food

Every Christmas, I order Enstrom's Toffee from Colorado for the family and its a big hit. I've always enjoyed Toffee and I saw a segment on Enstroms on one news program or another about 10 years ago. Does anybody else have a fun holiday mail order food find for either gifts or the family table?

37 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 10:49:21 (permalink)
    I don't know about "fun", but I love ordering from Seltzer's for Lebanon bologna and other similar products. The taste and quality are always very good. Thanks to Jane and Michael for making me aware of this great treat!
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 10:52:38 (permalink)
    Just say "no" to fruitcake! is my holiday motto, espically when it is mailed.
    TerrierMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 11:09:54 (permalink)
    My brother's in laws run a farm in California. Every year they send a big box of avocados and another of oranges from the farm. Both are fra superior to anything in a store.
    outolunch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 12:02:50 (permalink)
    I used to order a good deal of mailorder food to send to frineds and family across the country. Woinderful Entrom's Toffee was often my gift of choice. But I have stopped sending mailorder food gifts. I find that the price just never seems to justify the amount of food and the shipping costs seem so high to me. Instead, I now make the rounds of various speccialty stores in our area and make up a selection of local treats which I package up and mail. My friends and family seem to be pleased with the results and I find that my money goes much further this way.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18956
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 12:43:59 (permalink)
    I'll occasionally order steaks from Allen Brothers -- usually as gifts.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 13:01:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by firecommander3565

I've been eating[url='http://www.collinstreet.com/pages/deluxe_fruitcake']this[/url] fruitcake for over 50 years. I say "NO" to all the others. If you like pecans, you'll like this cake. pb

fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 13:46:16 (permalink)
    Ito En tea
    Sarabeth's jams
    Kron chocolatier
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 13:53:58 (permalink)
    Nuts On Line for salt crusted roasted in shell sunflower seeds, Colonel Newsom's for country ham, both for me but I share with my family.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 14:05:37 (permalink)
    I love the Peanut Roaster in Henderson, NC.

Since being diagnosed as celiac, I order a lot from the Gluten Free Mall and from individual gluten free producers.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 14:23:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Michael: Have you ever had any of their steaks? I have their catalog and although the prices are steep, the products look excellent. I was thinking of indulging myself.
    wmceaton
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 315
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 15:03:30 (permalink)
    Smoked brisket from North Country Smokehouse...for the past few years...never has let me down.

www.ncsmokehouse.com
    retfrogof4
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 15:50:14 (permalink)
    every christmas we order 4 1lb. containers of bacon cheddar cheese spread from Figi's. to us it's a real holiday treat especially when spread on keebler toasted onion crackers.

we ordered a cheesecake once from somewhere and while good it was tiny in comparrison to the catalog picture.
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 15:55:07 (permalink)
    See's Candy- A must for me I buy about 6 one pound boxes for family,friends and one for our postmaster.
    Nueskes Smoked Meats in WI for ham and Bacon
    Divine Delights in CA for Petit fours
    Garrett's Popcorn in IL for cheese popcorn
    Modern Pastry in MA for torrone and Rainbow cookies
    Jeni's Ice Cream in OH for Bourbon Pecan Ice cream
    Fatwitch Brownies in NYC-Love the Java brownies
    These are my top mail order items....I'm a huge mail order junkie

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 16:07:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CpSpalding

Every Christmas, I order Enstrom's Toffee from Colorado for the family and its a big hit. I've always enjoyed Toffee and I saw a segment on Enstroms on one news program or another about 10 years ago. Does anybody else have a fun holiday mail order food find for either gifts or the family table?

I also order Enstrom's (my favorite) toffee for friends. And, Honeybaked ham for a friend in California. He always tells me it's the very best ham-ever!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 18:55:52 (permalink)

Mrs. Crunch. For years my step-father would get my Mom a 3 lb assortment of See's Chocolates for Christmas and another for Mothers Day. When he passed away in 1991 I took over the task of ordering those two gifts each year. We would work out the percentages of each type/flavor to make the mixture just what she wanted. She would strictly ration her tasting to ONE Piece per day...so the Christmas box would last until very close to Mothers Day, and the Mothers Day box lasted thru the Summer.

One sad note about this tradition.. I ordered her Christmas box for delivery on the 19th of December of 2004. Mother passed away early that day at age 93. The box eventually reached me here in Indiana early in January, after working it's way thru the forwarding service of the USPS. I will never forget receiving that box of Chocolates after the shock of Mom's passing had worn off.

Thanks for reminding me of a tradition that meant a lot to us.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1798
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 19:11:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Mrs. Crunch. For years my step-father would get my Mom a 3 lb assortment of See's Chocolates for Christmas and another for Mothers Day. When he passed away in 1991 I took over the task of ordering those two gifts each year. We would work out the percentages of each type/flavor to make the mixture just what she wanted. She would strictly ration her tasting to ONE Piece per day...so the Christmas box would last until very close to Mothers Day, and the Mothers Day box lasted thru the Summer.

One sad note about this tradition.. I ordered her Christmas box for delivery on the 19th of December of 2004. Mother passed away early that day at age 93. The box eventually reached me here in Indiana early in January, after working it's way thru the forwarding service of the USPS. I will never forget receiving that box of Chocolates after the shock of Mom's passing had worn off.

Great story Al......although I probably would have had to choke down each piece
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 19:20:03 (permalink)
    Al, that is a wonderful story. I have a meaningful "candy story" to tell, too. I was good friends with an elderly couple for years. I was younger than their children. They were winter residents in Florida and every year Don would give Mildred a box of Angell and Phelps peanut brittle which was made at this wonderful chocolate shop in Daytona. It was always one of her favorite gifts and she doled out a small piece to herself (and no sharing) each day until the box was empty.

Her husband died in early 2000 That following Christmas I decided to order a 2 lbs box of the brittle and have it sent to her, instead of the Harry and David pears which I usually gave her.

She called me when she received the box and said something that made me feel so good. Her words were "Kay, I cried when I saw this box of peanut britte, No one in the world would have ever thought of semding me this except a special person like you."

I continued to send her a box each year and she was always so pleased. I will not be sending her any this year as she passed away in July at age 95. Maybe, I should order some for me.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18956
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 19:33:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Michael: Have you ever had any of their steaks? I have their catalog and although the prices are steep, the products look excellent. I was thinking of indulging myself.

Yes, of course. That's why I order them as gifts.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 19:38:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:
    Originally posted by firecommander3565

I've been eating[url='http://www.collinstreet.com/pages/deluxe_fruitcake']this[/url] fruitcake for over 50 years. I say "NO" to all the others. If you like pecans, you'll like this cake. pb

it's amazing you still have some left.
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/09 19:56:20 (permalink)
    I'm still sayin' no!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/10 02:23:57 (permalink)

Greymo,
    It's hard to explain why it was so important for me to do the 'ordering' of the candy...but it was !

I recently received a 'Care Package' Gift of some BBQ Ribs from CARSON'S in Chicago. They are outstanding and were well packaged for the transport to Indiana. I seldom order mail-order foods (except nuts and candy) but I would do these Ribs as a Gift anytime!!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/10 09:39:59 (permalink)
    I have been following this series over at the roadfood digest, and thought some may want to check it out as it touches on this very subject...

http://www.roadfooddigest.com/category/Roadfood-Christmas-Gifts.aspx
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/10 09:51:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Mr. Bowen.......that is truely bittersweet.....I wish you the best always, Mrs C
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/10 10:17:16 (permalink)
    I have ordered (not necessarily for Christmas, but why not?) crab cakes from G&M Restaurant. They are almost as good as on-site, with the exception that they have yet to ship signman with the crab cakes, so as to have his company while I indulge.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/10 10:23:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I have ordered (not necessarily for Christmas, but why not?) crab cakes from G&M Restaurant. They are almost as good as on-site, with the exception that they have yet to ship signman with the crab cakes, so as to have his company while I indulge.

Those crab cakes would fit in nicely with the big seafood feast you have Christmas eve!
    njkim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/10 10:30:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

Al, that is a wonderful story. I have a meaningful "candy story" to tell, too. I was good friends with an elderly couple for years. I was younger than their children. They were winter residents in Florida and every year Don would give Mildred a box of Angell and Phelps peanut brittle which was made at this wonderful chocolate shop in Daytona. It was always one of her favorite gifts and she doled out a small piece to herself (and no sharing) each day until the box was empty.

Her husband died in early 2000 That following Christmas I decided to order a 2 lbs box of the brittle and have it sent to her, instead of the Harry and David pears which I usually gave her.

She called me when she received the box and said something that made me feel so good. Her words were "Kay, I cried when I saw this box of peanut britte, No one in the world would have ever thought of semding me this except a special person like you."

I continued to send her a box each year and she was always so pleased. I will not be sending her any this year as she passed away in July at age 95. Maybe, I should order some for me.

Without a doubt, get yourself a box!! What a wonderful story
    Kim
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/10 10:32:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

I have been following this series over at the roadfood digest, and thought some may want to check it out as it touches on this very subject...

http://www.roadfooddigest.com/category/Roadfood-Christmas-Gifts.aspx

I know Bruce has mentioned in the past that when he receives BBQ from Black's it's a product that comes closest to what you purchase on site. I haven't tried it yet but have ordered a ton of Que online over the years and I'm usually disappointed.

His post at the digest reminded me that I need to give them a shot.

http://www.roadfooddigest.com/default.aspx

Also, I love Poches but find their mail order to be very high. Cajun Grocer sells some very good meat products (like stuffed boneless chicken) for less then half the price.

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/10 10:53:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

Those crab cakes would fit in nicely with the big seafood feast you have Christmas eve!

I'm sure you mean the big seafood feat that YOU have on Christmas Eve! Do you know my boss?
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1153
    RE: Mail Order Food 2008/12/10 10:59:45 (permalink)
    We like the Kielbasy Boys of Philadelpia for all things Kielbasa including garlic (fresh and smoked) and regular. Best quality I've ever had. I say this because my wife is Polish and will not stand for an inferior product.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1