Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Main Meal New Years Day

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 63 of 63
carollwdls

• Total Posts: 86
RE: Main Meal New Years Day Sun, 01/3/10 8:05 PM (permalink)
What fun to read about some traditions I was totally unaware of ~~ specifically the Pork/Kraut combo. Is this meal a harbinger for luck & prosperity like Black-eyed peas & Greens are here in Texas & the South? From 1995 through 2008 I had an "open house" party starting around 2ish & running through 10ish. It was a nice, laid back day with friends & family coming & going at all different times. Some years just a dozen or so, some years 30 or more. Hundreds of people over the years made appearances. I always made spicy (lotsa garlic, cayenne & black pepper) collard or turnip greens with smoked turkey legs as an alternative to smoked pork ~~ because the Black-eyed peas I made always had bacon, ham, & one other pork option in them & of course with jalapenos & onion etc. A big pot of rice & pans of cornbread baked in my iron skillets that are ONLY for cornbread. Of course, I always had Bloody Mary fixins' but as the years progressed, and so did our ages :) we didn't need the Bloody Marys as much. New Year's Day is definitely much more of an event for me than New Year's Eve. Hard times the past 2 years have made me have to forego the open house. I really miss doing it ~~ but who knows? This year I had my turnip greens w/Smoked turkey & Black-eyed peas with bacon & Tasso ham (a delicious splurge!) so maybe 2010 will bring a new arrival of Good Luck & Prosperity for me ~~ as I hope it does for all of you, as well!
CiaoMeOwwww! Carol

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
    RE: Main Meal New Years Day Sun, 01/3/10 9:42 PM (permalink)
    We always keep the tradition going of the greens & black eyed peas - this year it was also with pork chops and slow fried potatoes and cornbread.

But the Bloody Mary's are just as much a tradition- just not as many as we usually do.

pattycakes

• Total Posts: 15
      RE: Main Meal New Years Day Mon, 01/25/10 11:40 PM (permalink)
      Wow, didn't see this subject before. I know it is well past Jan 1, but I just wanted to post about our dinner.
      Bone in pork loin which I rub all over with Heinz yellow mustard and freshly ground black pepper and brown on all sides.
      2 Bags of sauerkraut which I drain and layer in the crock pot with my pork. I put one layer on bottom of crock, season with a little brown sugar, applesauce, freshly ground black pepper. Add the pork loin on top of this layer. Put 2nd layer of sauerkraut on top of pork loin and season again with a little brown sugar, applesauce and freslhly ground black pepper. The brown sugar adds a bit of sweetness to the sauerkraut and the applesauce balances the flavors between pork and sauerkraut. I then let it cook 4 hours on high and switch to low for an additional 3-4 hours. You can't over cook this in the crockpot. It's always moist and delicious. We always had pork and sauerkraut when I was growing up. Think it is a NE Ohio thing. And we are only 1.5 hours from the largest enclave of Amish in the world. Berlin Ohio.
      I serve this with mashed potatoes, salad and wheat rolls. I sometimes also add some brats for hubby to make a sandwich with the sauerkraut.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
        Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 63 of 63

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com