The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Maine 9/12: Shaw's Warf, Jordan Pond, Lazy Lobster, Jordan's Restaurant, Lobster Shack...

Prof

• Total Posts: 41
Maine 9/12: Shaw's Warf, Jordan Pond, Lazy Lobster, Jordan's Restaurant, Lobster Shack... Thu, 09/20/12 8:59 PM (permalink)
Portlan Foodie Tour,  Maine Diner. 

SHAW'S WARF
At the tip of Pemaquid Point is the quintessential fishing village of New Harbor and Shaw's Warf, both commercial and restaurant. We ate on the deck overlooking the harbor and watching the lobster boats offloading their catch. If you want fishing village atmosphere, this is the place. We had five lobsters, onion rings and beer for $58. Well worth it.

JORDAN POND
Just one man's opinion but I gave it an overall, slightly above average rating. The server was very good . Quite attentive and pleasant. The popovers were excellent and the strawberry preserves took them over the top. We started with crab cakes appetizer. If you have ever had crab cakes at Obrycki's in Baltimore, you know what a crab cake is supposed to be, minimal binding and maximum crab. Jordan's were the opposite; a small amount of crab fried hard into a small brown cake. Lisa ordered the seafood chowder and rated it a 7/8. I tasted it and thought the potatoes were mealy from having been in the broth too long. I had the lobster stew and gave it a 5 out of 10. The broth was a weak mixture of cream and stock, maybe chicken. It had about 6 small pieces of lobster knuckle meat and cost $21. Way over priced.

THE LAZY LOBSTER
We stopped at the LL in Bar Harbor and will return next time. Lisa ordered the lobster dinner, $11.95, consisting of lobster, potato salad. Kinda normal except for the nice price. I had the best lobster bisque I have ever tasted. It was a thick, creamy, dreamy lobster liquid. The aroma was heady and taste and texture right on. I also had the best piece of blueberry pie I have ever had. The crust was flaky and had that wonderful slightly crisp baked texture. The blueberries were the small, wild Maine type. It was close to eating blueberry preserves. The owners were very friendly.

FOODIE TOUR IN PORTLAND
A great idea. $43 @ for a walking tour of seven food/drink shops which highlight local Maine products. Our tour was lead by Stephanie, a former full time chef and currently conductor of cooking classes at Stonwall Kitchen. Our stops:
  1. Old Port Wine Shop with a quick intro to Maine wines
  2. Next door to Vervacious which is devoted to gourment spices and seasonings in beautiful, unique bottles. Here we sampled Maine honey mead with some canapes prepared with Verv's seasonings.
  3. Portland Public Market, home of a variety of boutique food shops, soup and sandwich type and a deli where the proprietor gave us samples of excellent Maine cheeses, including a cheese curd which was extraordinary. It was almost as soft as crème cheese and had a delicate, flowery flavor. We live in dairy country and have cheese curd which is firm and squeeky when fresh.
  4. Stonewall Kitchen featured a variety of sweet and savory condiments
  5. Dean's Sweets gave us their hand made truffles.
  6. Two Fat Cats Bakery gave us a taste of Maine's famous Whoopie Pie, a forrunner of the southern Moon Pie.
  7. Shipward Brewery where we sampled many different beers and sodas. The most extraordinary was a Bourbon Double Special (I think that was the name) which was ale aged for 100 days in bourbon barrels. 21% alcohol. Whew!
  8. A seafood store on the waterfront whose name I forgot. Tasted some very good smoked trout.
    Would we do it again? No. Would we recommend you do it? If you have already done a lot of things you really like to do in Portland and want to kill some time, it's a pretty good way. Wear good walking shoes.

JORDAN'S RESTAURANT
For blueberry pancakes. The best/

LOBSTER SHACK
Drove to Cape Elizabeth and were wowed by the setting for the LS. Had very good lobster rolls and chowder. Not to be missed

MAINE DINER
On the way back home decided for a Maine breakfast at the famous MD in Wells. Can't beat it and you can read about it and the LS above in lots of other posts.

Tony Bad

Re:Maine 9/12: Shaw's Warf, Jordan Pond, Lazy Lobster, Jordan's Restaurant, Lobster Shack. Thu, 09/20/12 9:29 PM (permalink)
    Thanks for the report! Lots of places I also enjoyed this summer.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Maine 9/12: Shaw's Warf, Jordan Pond, Lazy Lobster, Jordan's Restaurant, Lobster Shack. Fri, 09/21/12 10:46 AM (permalink)
      David ... Thanks.
      Try to post  more than once every 12 years (seeing how you joined in 2000 and this is your second post) ... :)

Tony Bad

Re:Maine 9/12: Shaw's Warf, Jordan Pond, Lazy Lobster, Jordan's Restaurant, Lobster Shack. Fri, 09/21/12 11:02 AM (permalink)
        I noticed that too Gregg. We need people like David to be more active. A good post like this once every 6 years is not enough!!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
          Re:Maine 9/12: Shaw's Warf, Jordan Pond, Lazy Lobster, Jordan's Restaurant, Lobster Shack. Fri, 09/21/12 1:17 PM (permalink)
          Great report. please post bait more often.

biding mytime

• Total Posts: 1
            Re:Maine 9/12: Shaw's Warf, Jordan Pond, Lazy Lobster, Jordan's Restaurant, Lobster Shack. Mon, 09/24/12 6:09 PM (permalink)
            Sounds great. Almost can feel the breeze coming off the ocean when I read this.
            Got to get there soon.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com