Maine - Becky's and Jimmy's

Author
roadwalker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2004/05/19 12:37:18 (permalink)

Maine - Becky's and Jimmy's

Found 2 good places in Maine - Becky's in Portland and Jimmy's Pizza (yes) in Old Town

Becky's has a fine special for 6.50 - eggs, B or S, home fries, toast and 2 huge pancakes - and amazingly I saw them fill the syrup bottles with 100% REAL maple syrup! (yet they don't mention it anywheres)

Went back a 2nd time - just as good - so can approve EITHER the bacon or sausage.

In between I found Jimmy's in Old Town - not as good, a bit cheaper though there's nothing wrong with becky's price - considering maple syrup and all.

One thing I have noticed - it often pays to ask for pancakes well-done - hardly hurts anything and you avoid the raw ones.

3 Replies Related Threads

Wandering Chew
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Maine - Becky's and Jimmy's 2004/10/17 20:27:26 (permalink)
    I'm surprised no other replies to Becky's post-possibly the 2nd finest breakfast in America- behind (thank you Jane and Michael) Otis Cafe in Otis Oregon. Beckys has great pancakes,sourdough toast really good coffee and sausage. Anyone been to Otis and knows a better place I will find my way there this year(12 mo. period) Nominations?
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Maine - Becky's and Jimmy's 2004/10/19 11:56:56 (permalink)
    Why stop at Becky's just for breakfast?
    Went 2 weekends ago-had just a haddock sandwich to munch on as I drove to Boothbay Harbor.
    I have enjoyed many lunch and dinner specialties there.
    They made a fabulous onion soup that was totally enjoyable on a rainy nightime visit.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7669
    RE: Maine - Becky's and Jimmy's 2004/10/20 19:01:37 (permalink)
    I've been to Becky's and enjoyed it, however there are so many other excellent Breakfast places in Portland. I really enjoyed the Friendship Cafe on Congress street, although a little more upscale and expensive than your typical greasy spoon, they had an excellent "down east" breakfast which included baked beans. Another great greasy spoon was Marcy's Breakfast and Lunch. Delicious Corned Beef Hash and Blueberry Maine Muffins. I really miss the Exit 8 Diner, i was completely aghast when it turned into a Friendly's Restaurant in 1999. " /> And of course Gilbert's Chowder House in the Old Port for Clam Cakes, Seafood Chowder and Stuffed Haddock. Gotta go back to Maine soon!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1