Maine Vacation

Author
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
2003/06/03 13:11:50 (permalink)

Maine Vacation

OK, we're off to New England later this month and will be staying in Kennebunkport. We will make a day trip (or actually an early evening trip) up to L. L. Bean. One problem, we'll only be able to make one of these places.

Red's Eats in Wicasset OR
Harraseeket Lobster in Freeport

Which to choose? I'm so confused! Red's is a little further away, but I'm up for the drive if it's worth it!

Any help is appreciated.

14 Replies Related Threads

damnh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/04 14:28:47 (permalink)
    My vote is for Red's-be careful-parking in Wiscasset is tough unless you use the municipal lot-short walk to Red's.
    Even the locals in Freeport admit many of the restaurants are of the tourist trap variety-traffic is tough and many places survive due to the captive audience.
    My Freeport favorite is Gritty McDuff's brewpub, the second location of the original brewpub first founded in the Old Port section of Portland-see www.grittys.com for a menu-great ales as well. Try the barley fish or barley chicken sandwich-a filet covered in the barley used in the brewing process, then cooked.
    But don't pass up Red's in favor of Grittys, Red's is a better seafood experience.
    My family lives in Arundel, which is a landlocked town between Kennebunk and Kennebunkport.
    Recommendations for that area include:
    The Green Heron Inn-breakfast only-must make reservations
    Allison's and Federal Jack's brewpub-for drinks-food is pub style food-Federal Jack's is home to the Shipyard Brewing Company
    Clam Shack-reviewed on Roadfood-personal favorite of Michael and Jane's-great food-locals think it is very PRICEY.
    Bartley's-next to Clam Shack-lobster available and excellent Blueberry pie
    Arundel Seafood Center-located on Route 1 in Arundel-standard seafood fare but with more reasonable prices-the locals eat here-$5.99 fish fry-the crowded parking lot is a dead giveaway.
    Dairy Queen-a good old fashioned ice cream treat in Kennebunk, and next door is the new Kennebunk Sausage Company, with homemade sausage submarine sandwiches from a butcher with 25 years in the business.
    Hope this helps. Ask any other questions you need, I check the forums regularly.
    DaveM
    libtrek
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/04 16:28:13 (permalink)
    Hi, first time in the forum. We too are visiting Maine but not until October. When were there years ago, found a roadside lobster place in the Acadia area. Couldn't find it on a second trip. Hope this time will be the charm. Any suggestions? We love the ambiance of the roadside places over fancy restaurants.
    Libtrek
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/04 17:11:34 (permalink)
    Dave,

Thanks! That (and this website) will feed us well!

Stan
    bugbear
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/04 22:27:16 (permalink)
    Red's vs. Harraseeket is a tough one, though I would pick Harraseeket for the setting -- it is right on the water; Red's is too, but it isn't the same kind of bustling harbor scene. It is off the beaten Freeport path, too. The food -- other than seafood -- isn't spectacular (good fries I think), but it feels more like Maine than Red's.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/04 22:32:03 (permalink)
    Portland is worth a stop. There's a pretty run-down looking seafood joint on a pier in downtown Portland that serves up the greatest fried filets I've ever had anywhere. The species of fish varies due to availablity, but its all very very fresh and perfectly deep fried. I think I remember my wife having some good chowder in that place also. Sorry don't know the name- am not even sure it has a name.
    kataboom
    Junior Burger
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/06 20:38:32 (permalink)
    two words..."maine diner" in wells. do not cross the state line without visiting the maine diner!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13502
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/06 21:11:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kataboom

two words..."maine diner" in wells. do not cross the state line without visiting the maine diner!

I visited the Maine Diner in Wells because I had read about it. I was very dissapointed. Flies were everywhere including the food, the service was not good and the food was cold. From what I had read, this was not their usual, but I question their quality control. I was there in early October and flies and insects should not have been a problem.

I am sorry but I cannot handle that atmosphere. I personally would not go back. I believe they were sailing on yesterday's wind.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/06 22:21:25 (permalink)
    We have nothing but fond memories of the Maine Diner - sorry it was a disappointment - if you ever get up there again give it another chance.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/16 21:15:29 (permalink)
    You have to go to Harraseeket..........it is just wonderful!! The lobster is out of this world and the best blueberry pie in the world...You will think you have died and gone to heaven!
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/16 21:32:37 (permalink)
    Another vote for Harraseeket--lobster roll and onion rings, bring your own Alligash to drink. If you're in Kennebunkport we like the somewhat overpriced, Bush watching, Mabels(on Ocean Ave.) or Nunan's for lobster. Agree with Paul that the Maine Diner is past its prime.
    farmette
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Maine Vacation 2003/06/23 14:22:47 (permalink)
    I vacation in Yourk for two weeks each summer and have to recommend a couple places. First, Bob's Clam Shack next to the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery - tough to get in and out of, but worth at least a couple trips a week when I am there - great fried clams - with stomachs, the way they ought to be! Next, Day's Lobster Pound on Rt. 1 between Yarmouth and Freeport, just north of the big map manufacturer's offices (can't remember the name), east side of road, popular with locals and the best lobster roll I have ever had. Also, in Portland, the Great Lost Bear, just west of downtown. They have a menu that must be ten pages long (nine different kind of wings but little Maine cuisine). Great for a family. Nationally renowned as a great beer place. They probably have 50 taps and over half are Maine beers, including Bar Harbor's Atlantic Brewing's Blueberry Ale which is incredible. I also have to say that I have had a better experience at the Gritty's in Freeport than in Portland. If you go to the Maine Diner, stop at the Lighthouse Depot (souvenirs) just to the south. In Kennebunkport there is a little Lobster pound right at the bridge, outside, walk up counter and they have great food - fish n chips, frided clams and scallops - awesome, expensive, but wonderful. Have a great time!
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Maine Vacation 2011/08/03 20:07:48 (permalink)
    farmette

Next, Day's Lobster Pound on Rt. 1 between Yarmouth and Freeport, just north of the big map manufacturer's offices (can't remember the name), east side of road, popular with locals and the best lobster roll I have ever had.

Man, I didn't expect to like this place (actually named Days Crabmeat and Lobster).
    Too close to the interstate (I-295). Rumored to be a tourist-magnet, etc. Boy, was I
    wrong. The fact that the place is right off of I-295 (Exit 17) and on Route 1 only under-
    scores easy access to this 70-year-old Vacationland stalwart and their top-notch lobster
    and crab rolls, haddock sandwiches and "bites" and shrimp tacos. All were enjoyed by our
    party of five and were made only better by the place's shaded outdoor and water-front
    picnic tables out back. I heartily re-recommend!
    shane1854
    Junior Burger
    Re:Maine Vacation 2011/08/04 15:21:36 (permalink)
    If you're planning an evening trip, you should check to make your that the visit to the restaurant of your choice isn't subverted by an early closing. This might be of special concern with Red's. I've heard lots about Red's but never been there. One thing I've also heard is that the lines can be very long, and I've experienced this at Harraseeket. Several times my wife and I have gone to Harraseeket, seen the lines, and gone elsewhere. Most often we've gone back to Day's Lobster, on US 1 about half way between Yarmouth and Freeport. The chowder and lobster rolls are just as good, the outdoor seating, in back with a view of a creek and marsh, very pretty but not the fantastic harbor view of Harraseeket.
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:Maine Vacation 2011/08/13 21:01:09 (permalink)
    We like J's Oyster right on the Portland Waterfront.
    Wife likes Becky's Diner, also right on the waterfront, but I think the place is over-rated.
    In May of this year, we had an excellent breakfast at the Maine Diner.

FWIW
    Wally,
    Plattsburgh NY
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1