Make a living building hot dog carts?

Author
djdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 439
2013/02/07 21:58:42 (permalink)

Make a living building hot dog carts?

Just like my subject says...does anyone think that a person could make a living making customized hot dog carts?  I mean you can't really ship them long distances so a person might be limited to certain geographical areas....but it's an interesting thought.....

5 Replies Related Threads

BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Make a living building hot dog carts? 2013/02/07 22:14:29 (permalink)
    very possible.
    I am in nevada and have custom cart makers on 2 sides of me. ca and az.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10331
    Re:Make a living building hot dog carts? 2013/02/08 01:39:32 (permalink)
    djdawg
    Just like my subject says...does anyone think that a person could make a living making customized hot dog carts?  I mean you can't really ship them long distances so a person might be limited to certain geographical areas....but it's an interesting thought.....

One of your problems is you're located away from the geographical center of the USA and major markets. 
    50% of your market radius is in the Pacific Ocean!!!
    You would need to do EXTENSIVE research to Identify the Competition and determine the size of the potential cart buying population.
    The only way to overcome those limitations is to build a VASTLY Superior cart at a reasonable price and market it effectivly. And all that takes $$$$$$$$$$!!! 
    Company startups are HELL!
    Pickled Sausage
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Make a living building hot dog carts? 2013/02/25 18:23:09 (permalink)
    Doing just that is how my commissary is making his real money right now actually. He runs TNT hot dogs in Tampa, FL. He told me the hot dog money (which is massive considering how close his storefront is to the University of Tampa) doesn't compare to the revenue he generates for the hot dog carts and trailers. He showed me pictures of the warehouse he's renting to do the production. I believe he's working on a couple large scale food trailers complete with hood and ansul systems in addition to several smaller concession trailers. I think he said he was "giving away" one of the large trailers for 45k. After hearing of his success I certainly felt inclined to get into the production side of it. So yes, I definitely think one can make a living doing this. Good luck if you do!

Edit: I forgot to address the geographical issue you presented. I imagine an investment as worthy and important as a concession trailer or hot dog cart is definitely worth a roadtrip to pickup for many people. I think if you can offer a really great product at an appropriate price the distance problem will get worked out.
    post edited by Pickled Sausage - 2013/02/25 18:25:18
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Make a living building hot dog carts? 2013/02/25 19:33:11 (permalink)
    I did see that some cart builders do ship hot dog carts so my geographical location is not an issue as far as I can tell.  I did the math and knowing what I could probably charge for a cart and how quickly I could build one, I wouldn't make enough money.....rats. 
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Make a living building hot dog carts? 2013/02/25 20:28:57 (permalink)
    I saw a video of one of the manufacturing plants and they must have had $300,000 worth of shop with land and another 100 or 200 thousand dollars of machinery or more. Had a crew of employees too. If I had enough money to start a factory like that, I'd find something else to do with the money. Like make a trip to Hawaii.LOL!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1