The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Make an extra pot roast

St. Louis Browns fan

• Total Posts: 129
Make an extra pot roast Sun, 03/7/04 10:21 PM (permalink)
Boneless pot roast was $1.68/pound at a local supermarket, which ground chuck has been $1.79 to $2.19. How could a pot roast junkie like myself resist?

I cooked two pot roasts at a time and saved one for chili. It's way better than the burger version. I just finished another double pot roast, and the second one will be chopped up for spaghetti sauce.

You might think I'm crazy, but I'd almost rather eat pot roast than prime steak.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
    RE: Make an extra pot roast Mon, 03/8/04 4:35 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by St. Louis Browns fan
    You might think I'm crazy, but I'd almost rather eat pot roast than prime steak.
    This is a problem? Any time I've the time to spare, I make pot roast too. After 25 years of trying I've finally managed--almost!--to make one that vaguely resembles my grandmother's. Have you figured out how to make the potatoes chewy & flavorful? I haven't gotten there yet. I know she kind of rolled them around in the pan drippings, but I still can't make them work. Advice?

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
      RE: Make an extra pot roast Mon, 03/8/04 6:04 AM (permalink)
      St. Louis Browns Fan and Rick F. obviously know good pot roast. They're fortunate souls.

I best not try to provide an actual recipe for how I make a pot roast. I just do it the way my mom did, and it's never been written down. Mainly, I begin by very thoroughly browning both sides of the pot roast on medium high heat. When the meat is beautifully and fully browned, I add a very small amount of water, cover the pan, and greatly reduce the heat. I wish I could give you the temperature settings and cooking times, but I can't recall them exactly.

Like Mom, I make pot roast in a covered, deep sided electric skillet. I add potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. The potatoes are cut in large chunks and the only seasoning is salt.

I think the key to Mom's wonderful pot roast was using the least amount of water needed. You want the juices and fat from the roast to permeate the potatoes. When ready, they should look kind of oily and have a deep beef flavor. This is what very slow cooking (hours, but I can't tell you how long) and less water will do for them. I cook the roast a while before adding the vegetables (I don't want them too overcooked). Do turn the potatoes so they'll absorb flavor throughout. Be sure to keep the lid on at all times and only use low heat.

Mom's manner of making pot roast produced very tender and deep flavored roast and vegetables.

It's been a long time since I made pot roast. My electric skillet retired and Mom is no longer around to stock my freezer with well chosen roasts (from the time I left home until she left this life, my blessed mother had a need to keep me stocked in certain staples, and home canned and frozen vegetables, fruits, and jams). I guess I should cook a pot roast soon, before I forget how.

booboobirdie

• Total Posts: 143
        RE: Make an extra pot roast Mon, 03/8/04 12:39 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by St. Louis Browns fan

Boneless pot roast was $1.68/pound at a local supermarket, which ground chuck has been $1.79 to $2.19. How could a pot roast junkie like myself resist?

I cooked two pot roasts at a time and saved one for chili. It's way better than the burger version. I just finished another double pot roast, and the second one will be chopped up for spaghetti sauce.

I'm with you...LOVE pot roast. Don't have to be nearly as "watchful" as when cooking a steak, too! I sear the outside on my grill, and then finish in the crock pot. The longer the better.

I noticed you mentioned using it in chili and in sauce. Anyone have suggestions of using pot roast in place of other cuts in recipes?

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 890
          RE: Make an extra pot roast Mon, 03/8/04 2:38 PM (permalink)
          I love pot roast, but I have stumbled across what sounds to me like the worst pot roast recipe in existence...

Check this out...

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:i6UJED5MKuMJ:southernfood.about.com/library/cprec/bl77_7.htm

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
            RE: Make an extra pot roast Mon, 03/8/04 4:57 PM (permalink)
            I LOVE pot roast, but I think all those tender meat-juiced veggies are my favorite part about pot roast. Brown Fan is certainly an inspiration--it needn't be just a roast. The chili and spaghetti sauce sound just divine!

I think we need an emoticon that is drooling for the users of these message boards. Dang you people make me hungry!

PCC

• Total Posts: 111
              RE: Make an extra pot roast Mon, 03/8/04 11:51 PM (permalink)
              I'm with meowzart, I could almost throw out the meat and just eat those wonderful vegetables.

Stogie

• Total Posts: 128
                RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 9:14 AM (permalink)
                Here are some pics of how I make pot roast.

Searing is a must! I use my smoker or grill to finish and cook low and slow for several hours....about 250-275º for 5-7 hours. Add the veggies in the last 2 hours.

For a real simple one, use 1/2 package of each of these mixes......Italian dressing, brown gravy mix and ranch dressing.

Notice there is just enough beef broth to cover the bottom of the pan. You may also notice this one is NOT seared and the flavor while good was not great.

This is after the veggies have been added.......

Stogie

Art Deco

RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 9:51 AM (permalink)
                  Looks great Stogie! Had a pot roast just last night, though I had to resort to the crock pot. It was excellent!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                    RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 1:15 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by pogophiles

I love pot roast, but I have stumbled across what sounds to me like the worst pot roast recipe in existence...

Check this out...

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:i6UJED5MKuMJ:southernfood.about.com/library/cprec/bl77_7.htm

That's truly disgusting.

Art Deco

RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 1:48 PM (permalink)
                      Only recipe I've ever seen that manages to combine cream of mushroom soup with a soft drink...

dbear

• Total Posts: 131
                        RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 1:59 PM (permalink)
                        At first that pepsi pot roast sounded awful, then I remembered a friends recipe for swedish meat balls that used coke and grape jelly; they were the best I've ever had and she swore that it was the spiciness of the coke that did it. I've never really like the taste of pepsi, but I might give the recipe a try with coke. As a general thing, I think pot roast is a very underrated dish; I don't know anyone except vegetarians that don't love it. The twofer thing sounds like a great idea!

db

Art Deco

RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 2:19 PM (permalink)
                          But Coke and grape jelly are both sweet to start with and combined would make a syrupy coating. I can understand the logic of combining them snd can imagine what the end result would taste like. Now try to do that with the combination of Coke (or Pepsi in this case) which is sweet and cream of mushroom soup (which is savory)... What I am imagining seems too much like that bright idea I had when I was 6 of combining milk with orange juice...

Willly

• Total Posts: 396
                            RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 4:46 PM (permalink)
                            That recipe reminds me of the recipe for "liverwurst quiche" I submitted as a joke to a baking contest in my mother's name...

I do not beleive that it is an honest and true recipe. It looks much more like someone spammed the recipe board with something just interesting enough to fool someone into making it.

A cheap test would be to mix a can of mushroom soup, french onion soup mix, and coke, simmer it an hour and see how horrible it is. Why waste the meat.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
                              RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 4:56 PM (permalink)
                              I have to admit that is a pretty disgusting recipe. But Stogie's finished product looks FABULOUS!!

Art Deco

RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 5:01 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Willly

{SNIP}...It looks much more like someone spammed the recipe board with something just interesting enough to fool someone into making it. A cheap test would be to mix a can of mushroom soup, french onion soup mix, and coke, simmer it an hour and see how horrible it is. Why waste the meat.

Excellent point, I think you may be right about the recipe. I also think a key point is buried in your response -- perhaps SPAM would be the perfect meat to use in this recipe!! Wasting perfectly good meat is not an issue with SPAM!!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                  RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                  On the days when we are going to have really hectic afternoons, I make a roast in the crockpot with those soups. Mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with a package of Lipton onion soup mix with a little Worchestire sauce and spread it on top of the roast (heavily peppered) and let it cook all day. It makes a beautiful tender roast and a delicious gravy. Don't know about the coke part though!

forurlungsonly

• Total Posts: 92
                                    RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                    I've actually made a recipe similar to the one that sounds so "horrible" to all of you and it turned out well. You don't add so much soda that it's like eating candy. Kind of funny that some of you will eat such things as scrapple and livermush but are revolted by soda mixed with pot roast...well at least I think! Oh well.

Art Deco

RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 6:01 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by forurlungsonly

I've actually made a recipe similar to the one that sounds so "horrible" to all of you and it turned out well. You don't add so much soda that it's like eating candy. Kind of funny that some of you will eat such things as scrapple and livermush but are revolted by soda mixed with pot roast...well at least I think! Oh well.

But that's just the point -- the referenced recipe called for an entire 12 oz Pepsi which is the only liquid added other than the can of mushroom soup...

Scarlett

• Total Posts: 402
                                        RE: Make an extra pot roast Tue, 03/9/04 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                        I think I may have shared this recipe before but:
                                        The first thing I learned to cook was a pot roast (in a Brown-in-Bag no less)

Pot Roast (or something)
                                        Put at least 1 T. flour in a Brown-n-Bag and shake
                                        Put in bag
                                        1 Bone-in chuck roast
                                        On top of roast add
                                        1 envelope dry onion soup
                                        1 or 2 cans button mushrooms with liquid
                                        1 large onion (sliced)
                                        aroud the roast add potatoes and carrots
                                        1/2 to 1 cup of strong coffee (no substitution)

Bake according to directions on the BnB box (according to size of roast)
                                        The wonderful juices in the BnB is thickened for gravy...

You Brown-in-Bag police -- don't be too rough on me...

Art Deco

RE: Make an extra pot roast Wed, 03/10/04 9:45 AM (permalink)
                                          Actually, I've had pretty good luck with the Brown-in-Bag approach, though I've never done a pot roast that way. Sounds intriguing, especially with the coffee addition... May have to try this one...

booboobirdie

• Total Posts: 143
                                            RE: Make an extra pot roast Wed, 03/10/04 10:24 AM (permalink)
                                            I actually use "The Bag" IN the crockpot. Still get the effects of the long slow cooking, with no mess whatsoever.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                                              RE: Make an extra pot roast Wed, 03/10/04 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                              What's a Brown-in-Bag?

tarragon

• Total Posts: 354
                                                RE: Make an extra pot roast Wed, 03/10/04 11:09 AM (permalink)
                                                I've been using coffee as the liquid when cooking my pot roasts (usually in the crock pot) for several years now, and it really does make the best gravy! Normally, I brown all sides on top of the stove (along with some chopped onion), flour it, let it brown a bit more, then add about 1/2 cup of cold coffee (usually what is leftover from what I make in the AM), and my sliced carrots and chunks of potato, put the lid on the crock pot and set it to cook at low-medium for 3-4 hours at least. I've tried it with the Lipton golden mushroom mushroom-onion soup mixes too--they're good, but a bit salty for me since I've got high blood pressure. So if I want mushrooms, I'll add them when I'm browning the roast (along with the chopped onion). The coffee was from a "Hints from Heloise" column, I believe--although Heloise cooked her pot roast in the oven (this is the original Heloise now, the Mom of the one currently doing the column, btw. ). I'm not sure if it's the crockpot cooking or the coffee or maybe even both, but the pot roasts come out so tasty and tender, the meat almost melts in your mouth.

Hehehe... now I have a craving for some pot roast!!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                                  RE: Make an extra pot roast Wed, 03/10/04 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                                  Michael - the Brown-in-bag are those clear bags made by Reynolds I believe that you can purchase in different sizes from Turkey size to smaller. They are good for making some things as they hold in the liquids and make meat very tender. You can throw all of your veggies and seasonings in at once and cook the whole thing.

I like to use them for making Swiss steak.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                                    • Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
                                                    RE: Make an extra pot roast Wed, 03/10/04 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                                    REAL DINER POT ROAST

Get a big hunk of well marbled boneless or bone-in chuck roast, at least 3 lbs. Do not use wimpy lean sirloin, round or any other cut of meat. Fry 4-6 strips of bacon in a Dutch oven or deep heavy skillet with a lid big enough to accommodate the meat. Remove bacon and leave bacon fat in the pan. Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper and dust lightly with flour. Heat bacon fat over medium-high heat. Add pot roast and let it cook and sizzle until deep brown on that side. Remove roast, swirl bacon fat around and return roast to pan to brown another side of it. Continue until all sides of roast are thoroughly browned. If the chuck is boneless, you can brown and cook a piece or two of marrow bone along with it. This almost-but-not-quite-burning is what will start the process for that melt in your mouth brown gravy.

When meat is browned, add 1 cup of water to the pan. Cover loosely and cook over medium-low heat until almost all water is evaporated. Turn the roast over; then add another cup of water and you can finally stir up those little browned bits. Add whatever vegetables you want; onions and carrots are traditional but you can also use garlic, turnips, leeks, etc. and continue cooking as before. Next time the water is almost dried up, turn both the roast and vegetables over. Repeat the cooking until almost dry, then adding a cup of water until the meat is fork-tender and ready to fall apart (Diners don’t do medium rare.). Remove the meat and set aside.

It’s up to you whether to remove the vegetables or as some places do, mash them with a potato masher right in the pan at this point. Add about 2 cups of beef stock and stir thoroughly, then turn heat up to high. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix 2 Tbsp. of flour with 2/3 cup of water to form a smooth paste. When pan juice is boiling, pour the flour mixture into it through a tea strainer, unless you want authentic lumps. Continue boiling gently over medium heat for at least 5 minutes until gravy is thickened.

Hack the meat into chunky pieces, scoop out an ice-cream dipper of mashed potatoes, pour gravy over top and serve.

P.S. This is also the right stuff for hot roast beef sandwiches.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com