Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2011/04/26 17:36:29 (permalink)

Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub

No, I'm not putting one on the menu, but I'd love to hear your ultimate sub, which meats you'd use and how many slices of them and the cheeses, on a 12 in. roll, don't forget the condiments. Don't bother with Jimmy John's portions!

31 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7840
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 17:58:34 (permalink)
    Made for me by someone else.

I'm lazy.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 18:03:40 (permalink)
    mar52

Made for me by someone else.

I'm lazy.

I can tell from the thoughtful reply!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18360
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 18:05:50 (permalink)
    You asked for it, so here it comes. This sub goes back to Marchitto's Grocery on Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, Connecticut, where Charley Marchitto's mother made all the subs. It was made on Italian bread of a type not available anywhere I know of outside Connecticut, but its shape helped give the name to the sandwich in that it closely resembles the shape of a submarine of the period. Mrs.Marchitto would cut a whole loaf in half and then slice open a half of it lengthwise. This would make a 10-12 inch sandwich.

The first thing is to pull out some of the crumb from both cut sides so as to make a sort of pocket for the filling. Then some good olive oil is sprinkled all over the crumb, and that is then rubbed by hand to make sure everything is covered. Next, sprinkle a good amount of dried oregano over both cut sides of the bread, squeezing the flakes between your fingers in order to release the oils.

Now top one side with thinly-sliced salami, preferably a good Genoa. I'll usually use two layers because I really like Genoa. Then top the salami with hot capicola, then a layer of mortadella and finally a layer of a spicy sopressata. Next comes a layer of sharp provolone cheese, then some roasted red pepper, a touch of red pepper flakes, and finally some sliced kalamata olives.

Nothing else! No lettuce. No tomatoes. No onions. Nothing but the other half of the bread.

That, Mr. CTF, is one hell of an Italian sub.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 18:28:59 (permalink)
    By the way, that sub from Marchitto's cost a quarter. That, plus a nickel Frisbie pie (usually lemon or pineapple for me), and a Pepsi or X-Tra Cola brought the total for lunch up to 35 cents.

"Charge it Mrs. Marchitto."
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 18:38:58 (permalink)
    I'll bite Chewy. This isn't my ideal, but what I remember as the typical Italian coldcut sub that was sold in most any subshop in these parts up to the latter 70's and what was made in both of the places I worked at during that period. These were very heavy and a half of a sub made an entire meal. Meat and cheese slices were thick in the order of 3 to 4 mm thick. The rolls were of a chewy (not you) and resiliant bread that had coarse semolina dusting outside. The rolls were also wider then nowadays; probably close to 4". These were not crusty in any sense. A full sub had to weigh around or over 2lbs.

I don't remember the amount of meats, but the order was something like layer of overlapped Provolone cheese, Capicola, Garlic Bologna, Mortadella, and Genoa salami. I never seen anyplace down here that used pepperoni. There wasn't tomato slices unless you asked for it. Once place I worked for used a Peruvian sweet onion that was available year around and the other white onion. Shredded lettuce finished the sub. Served open faced in a large, oval Tablecraft basket with a very pungent vinaigrette that was highly seasoned. I think I've writted about these dressings exhustively here. The subs were served with a fork. Even with the back end of a bread knife, you couldn't close these unless you wrapped them at the same time for take away. Original owners of both places were Greeks as most all sub shops and pizza joints down here, so figure accordingly.
    post edited by DawnT - 2011/04/26 18:57:11
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 18:44:56 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

By the way, that sub from Marchitto's cost a quarter. That, plus a nickel Frisbie pie (usually lemon or pineapple for me), and a Pepsi or X-Tra Cola brought the total for lunch up to 35 cents.

"Charge it Mrs. Marchitto."

A quarter? " />  Like it or not, you have dated yourself!
    Is that deli still open? Has it been handed down and run by family members? It sounds like a shame if something THAT good, was lost to time.

I wrote the recipe down and am looking forward to trying it.  I am not sure though, what "Sopressata" is and if its something I can get without driving all over for it.
    post edited by Hot Dog Empire - 2011/04/26 18:48:41
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 19:01:52 (permalink)
    Sopressata is a type of salumi, and it certainly ought to be available in Mass.

Marchitto's Grocery -- not a deli --  is long gone, but as to dating myself (and I'm a great date, but I'm not my type), I was still able to get subs like that in small Italian grocery stores the New Haven area in the early '60s for half a buck.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2368
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 19:19:40 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

You asked for it, so here it comes. This sub goes back to Marchitto's Grocery on Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, Connecticut, where Charley Marchitto's mother made all the subs. It was made on Italian bread of a type not available anywhere I know of outside Connecticut, but its shape helped give the name to the sandwich in that it closely resembles the shape of a submarine of the period. Mrs.Marchitto would cut a whole loaf in half and then slice open a half of it lengthwise. This would make a 10-12 inch sandwich.

The first thing is to pull out some of the crumb from both cut sides so as to make a sort of pocket for the filling. Then some good olive oil is sprinkled all over the crumb, and that is then rubbed by hand to make sure everything is covered. Next, sprinkle a good amount of dried oregano over both cut sides of the bread, squeezing the flakes between your fingers in order to release the oils.

Now top one side with thinly-sliced salami, preferably a good Genoa. I'll usually use two layers because I really like Genoa. Then top the salami with hot capicola, then a layer of mortadella and finally a layer of a spicy sopressata. Next comes a layer of sharp provolone cheese, then some roasted red pepper, a touch of red pepper flakes, and finally some sliced kalamata olives.

Nothing else! No lettuce. No tomatoes. No onions. Nothing but the other half of the bread.

I think I'm going to let my friend lead on this dance. All of the Italian sandwiches I had in Ct were all about the bread and the meats. The best Italian cold cuts and cheeses, the kind of cold cuts were like when they were slicing them they would hand you  a slice and say try this and tell me if it's not the best you have ever eaten. It only takes once to trust in the judgement of a person who knows and respects quality. When ever I walked into one of these places it was always, Bill would you like one of my sandwiches, I would always say I would love one. I never asked what he was putting on it, it was top of the line quality made with caring and love. I know Michael knows what I'm talking about, I'll also hook it up with a Lemon Frisbie pie, only because if I got something different he may want half.........Good choice my friend...............................pnwc..........
    post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/04/26 20:03:43
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 19:26:53 (permalink)
    Naturally, you'd want a pie from the Frisbie Baking Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut.

By the way, for those folks who've ever tossed a Frisbee, they were named after the Frisbie Pie Company's tin pie plates that were tossed around yards at the various Yale colleges by students killing time.
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 19:27:25 (permalink)
    Ok now I'M dating myself. What's a "Lemon Frisbee Pie"? Is that like a Hostess pie?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 19:35:33 (permalink)
    The Frisbie Baking Company in Bridgeport, Connecticut made pies of several sizes, including the nickel-size ones that were basically individual servings. actually a whole, mini-pie.  They had apple, cherry, lemon, pineapple -- any number of pies.

http://bridgeport.ct.schoolwebpages.com/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=26565
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/04/26 19:44:15
    pnwchef
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 20:06:12 (permalink)
    What, no Blueberry Frisbie Pie............I think I remember Blueberry stains on my white tee shirts...............
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 20:08:24 (permalink)
    My ultimate sub would be what Mr. Hoffman described.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 20:17:38 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

What, no Blueberry Frisbie Pie............I think I remember Blueberry stains on my white tee shirts...............

Hey, I said any number of pies.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 20:34:00 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Yeow!!!!!!!!!! That sounds virtually unbeatable, I'd drive 200 miles one way for that, 4 meats and cheese and fantastic condiments, oh yeah...Dawn your 2 pounder is right up there 198 miles!

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 20:58:28 (permalink)
    MH,  that sounds like the ultimate sub to me........................my  son  has been asking for  a good Italian sub.    All I have to do in convince the kids that lettuce and tomatoes are not needed on this masterpiece!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7840
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 21:07:18 (permalink)
    I'd be willing to part with $10 for one of those subs.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 21:13:20 (permalink)
    For you, five bucks. Plus a tip for the cook.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 21:14:09 (permalink)
    Greymo

MH,  that sounds like the ultimate sub to me........................my  son  has been asking for  a good Italian sub.    All I have to do in convince the kids that lettuce and tomatoes are not needed on this masterpiece!

Hell, they're kids. Tell them what they like.

DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 21:14:52 (permalink)

...Dawn your 2 pounder is right up there 198 miles!

I guess that puts you somwhere in South Carolina or Northern Ga. Chewie. That still a mightly long ways from here in Miami. You'd have to settle for a Cuban sandwich anyways nowadays. The days we seen quality meats trucked down here from places like Martin Rosol or AYO have gone the way of the carrier pigeon in the mid 70's. You'd have to charge over $20 to make a sub with some profit like you could get for under $5 anywhere back then assuming you still could buy the meats. I'd love to see the look on a kids face if someone at subway handed him a wrapped sub that weighed like a lead brick. He'd probably smell that heavy garlic,cardamom,mace, and corrriander in the meats and take it back claiming it must be spoiled pointing to those green things in the Mortadella.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/26 21:29:59 (permalink)
    Ann, yours is coming up.
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/27 07:21:43 (permalink)
    Best sub for me was one I would get for 75 cents in Millburn, NJ in the mid 70's - it was basically very thinly sliced, imported prosciutto with a sharp imported provolone (hard, not the typical creamy style provolone) on a crispy Italian-bread style roll with thinly sliced tomato and an oil/vinegar topping.

I can duplicate the provolone & prosciutto via Boarshead products, but not living in NJ/CT, the roll has proven impossible to find plus a decent tomato is also near impossible to find anymore.

Simply outstanding.
    pnwchef
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/27 07:41:54 (permalink)
    mjambro

Best sub for me was one I would get for 75 cents in Millburn, NJ in the mid 70's - it was basically very thinly sliced, imported prosciutto with a sharp imported provolone (hard, not the typical creamy style provolone) on a crispy Italian-bread style roll with thinly sliced tomato and an oil/vinegar topping.

I can duplicate the provolone & prosciutto via Boarshead products, but not living in NJ/CT, the roll has proven impossible to find plus a decent tomato is also near impossible to find anymore.
    7P
    Simply outstanding.

Unlike most parts of the country, the bread is a big part of the sandwich in Ct,NYC and NJ. The Amoroso roll heated is a good start in most cases, it will hold up well with the oil and vin. I heat the roll with the meat and cheese wrapped in foil, I like to get the fats moving in the cured meats. After It's out of the oven, I  put on the veggies and Oil & Vin S&P. I think the crisp and crunchiness of a Baguette may also work............I live in the PNW, I am always in search of the great breads I grew up with on the East coast...................pnwc
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/27 08:16:57 (permalink)
    Those cold cut subs of the Connecticut shore are something I frequently yearn for - they were very much like MH has described. Our favorite place was in Clinton, Ct - a white tiled spartan little sandwich shop. Ours differed from MHs - we had all the meats and provolone and it was served in an Italian loaf, not a roll,  but always shredded lettuce and tomato and a load of ground black pepper sprinkled over all. They were best wrapped in waxed paper and held for an hour or so to let the flavors blend. I was never a big fan of Mrs Frisbees pies - the crust was not flakey and the fillings were kind of gooey , like a lot of corn starch had been added.

Cheers, John  
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/27 10:19:54 (permalink)
    Ok, Mr. Hoffman, I will be waiting...
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/27 10:30:05 (permalink)
    I knew that place in Clinton seafarer John, and stopped there a number of times. At least I think it's the same place -- right there in town on the Post Road (U.S. 1). Oh, and I never saw a sub that was built on anything other than a loaf/half loaf of Italian bread until after I left Connecticut.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/04/27 10:45:57
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/27 13:43:29 (permalink)
    Yes, right on rt1 as I remember ( this was the early 40s). It seemed like the guy ran it all by himself, I never saw any other person behind the counter. And, I may be wrong, but I think he had a pretty thick Italian accent.

Cheers, John 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/27 14:46:40 (permalink)
    I was there in '49 and the very early '50s. When I was 14 I delivered meat for my father's company to a restaurant a couple of doors away and I'd run in and get a sub to eat in the truck on my way to the next delivery.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Make me an Italian or Cold Cut sub 2011/04/27 15:25:33 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

mjambro

7P
    Simply outstanding.

Unlike most parts of the country, the bread is a big part of the sandwich in Ct,NYC and NJ. The Amoroso roll heated is a good start in most cases, it will hold up well with the oil and vin. I heat the roll with the meat and cheese wrapped in foil, I like to get the fats moving in the cured meats. After It's out of the oven, I  put on the veggies and Oil & Vin S&P. I think the crisp and crunchiness of a Baguette may also work............I live in the PNW, I am always in search of the great breads I grew up with on the East coast...................pnwc

You know what you might like in terms of bread? A ciabatta loaf. I've used it many times to make one of my subs and it really works. And here's a neat No-Knead way to make it if you can't find it there.

Take a look at this video for a how-to on no-knead ciabatta bread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX_6l2bmvQI

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1