Maker's Mark Christmas Stuff

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15285
Re:Maker's Mark Christmas Stuff 2010/02/13 20:43:14 (permalink)
Kinfetch,
  I have fond memories of our cyber-friendship that does indeed extend far back into the Pre-marriage days for me.  We go back farther than Roadfood...in fact for those who may remember the AOL that charged by the hour for net-service and the chat-lists that AOL maintained, We used to talk travel and food stuffs on those sites in the early 1990's.  It is nice to see you're still around...and still in the new England area, I suppose? We are safely encased here in the Louisville area and while we are indeed slowing down a bit, all is as well as can be expected. Grandkid count has stabilized at 23, but 1st grandkid is approaching marriage-age, so we may have to start a new list for Great-Grandkids soon.

We have not done the MM weekends, either the Bourbon Festival or the Redheads event, as I am not real fond of large crowds and the rough turf of rural fairgrounds. We have done several visits to locations along the Bourbon Heritage Trail and stopped to sample the wares at several fine distilleries along the way.

Best Wishes for a warm Spring, Please stay in touch.
AL
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Maker's Mark Christmas Stuff 2010/02/17 10:24:29 (permalink)
To bring this back to the topic at hand,  Have any of you had a sample (or more) of the newly restored "4 Roses" Bourbon? My StepFather kept a bottle of it around for special  events when I was a kid,(1950's) then it seemed to disappear from the market for many years. Recently the distillery has been opened to visitors and we are seeing some marketing activity in conjunction with the Kentucky Bourbon Council's activities. I have yet to purchase any, and wonder if any of you have tried it??

AL
Brisco
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Maker's Mark Christmas Stuff 2010/02/17 11:32:54 (permalink)
mayor al

My brother is a big bourbon fan. He bought a case of 4 Roses for his son's wedding with instructions for use. No mixing ( only a splash or two of water). I thought it was some pretty smooth bourbon. I think he bought a case form a liquor store in southern Indiana. They placed an order with their distributor.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10284
Re:Maker's Mark Christmas Stuff 2010/02/17 12:07:53 (permalink)
I remember 4 Roses from the 50's also. I was a teenager then. As I recall, 4 Roses was a low end Bourbon, Kinda like the Old Milwaukee of Bourbons. Was my perception incorrect? Where does it rank in the line of Bourbons as far as quality goes?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Maker's Mark Christmas Stuff 2010/02/17 17:13:11 (permalink)
FoodBme- I wasn't literate enough at that time to know what was good and what wasn't. I do recall that My Stepfather used J W Dant (the WalMart of Whiskey) for his nightly 'HighBall' unless there was reason for some celebration...then the 4 Roses came out.
We will find some in this area shortly and report back. With MM and Knob Creek already open, and Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve waiting on the shelf, the 4 Roses may have to wait a bit, so any input from members will be welcome.
Brisco
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Maker's Mark Christmas Stuff 2010/02/19 13:34:59 (permalink)
4 Roses runs around $45 a fifth so I'd say it's in the higher end of some of the bourbons. Willett is one that is even better and you'll have to ask for it in the Louisville area Mayor Al. It's not readily available. I had some  It's reportedly quite smooth. I had some Michael Collins Single Barrel Irish Whiskey last Saturday and it's a keeper.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Maker's Mark Christmas Stuff 2010/04/25 14:59:41 (permalink)
My son took a bunch of his motorcycle touring group to the Makers Mark Distillery for the tour this weekend. He commented to me that they have a new and very 'classy' tasting room now included in the walk-around tour. I am looking forward to "my" barrel opening in a month or two. We plan to visit to get a bottle that we can claim as coming from "our" barrel.

PS- Janet firmly ruled out my purchase of the whole barrel ($4500), especially since Makers Mark says they have to bottle it prior to sale...In other words, I can't have that 50+ gallon wooden barrel set up in my kitchen with a draft 'Spout' on it to pour from...  Damn, I thought that would be the ultimate "man-toy" in my kitchen !!

Well, I guess a bottle will be a good memory of the 9 years we've been waiting. It will join a few other MM commenerative bottles we have on the shelf. MM does several 'special' bottles each year, mainly for the UK and UofL Sports programs and for The Derby and other horse related events in the Bluegrass.

Here's one of the three "Triple Crown" Bottles-

post edited by mayor al - 2010/04/25 15:13:51
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Maker's Mark Christmas Stuff 2010/06/07 13:16:53 (permalink)
I received a dvd in the mail today announcing the bottling of "my" MM Barrel (end of June) and introducing the new 94 proof Makers 46 A single barrel production of pepped-up Makers Mark. Interesting story about the recipe, but you can find it on the Makers website at your leisure.

I may try a bottle of the "46" when I can find it locally.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1