Making Bacon-- Hog Hunt produces fine Pork

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2398
Re:Making Bacon-- Hog Hunt produces fine Pork 2012/10/08 18:12:14 (permalink)
Al, looks great.....We will be finishing 2 pigs soon, so they are ready to process when the weather cools down in a month or so. What was the second cure rub Recipe when you dbl the sugar and cut back the salt. could you explain the whole process of what the ingredients were and what you did..................Thanks ..............Bill
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15278
Re:Making Bacon-- Hog Hunt produces fine Pork 2012/10/08 18:49:47 (permalink)
Bill
We bought a bag (5 lbs) of Morton's "Sugar Cure" Game Curing Salt. Apparently Morton makes several 'flavors' of curing salts..we saw several others on line when searching for the basic recipes.

So we started with several large chunks of Missouri Hog Belly, ranging from 2-3 lbs to 12 lbs in size.
We washed and pat-dried the pieces selected for each batch ( we made three seperate batches)
Then with the clean/dry pork belly sitting there,
We mixed a blend of the Morton's Sugar Cure Salt with Brown Sugar...at a ratio (suggested by Mortons) of TWO cups of Salt-cure to ONE cup of Brown Sugar. After mixing that, we did the typical 'rub',  like I would for BBQ, on the meat.  When that was finished, we stuffed the chunks of meat into zip-loc bags and returned them to the refrigerator for 5 days of "curing".

We turned the meat once a day, and drained off the liquid as ordered by Morton's instructions. 
 At the end of the five days, I heated up my electric smoker, using hickory and applewood chips for smoke and put the meat in for about 6 hours at 190-195 degrees.
Cooled it down then sliced and packaged Batch One.

Batch ONE was a bit salty for our tastes. it will be fine for cooking in Beans and soups, but eating 'plain' would probably not be part of our choice.

So with Batch TWO  we altered the ratio of Salt to Sugar...using ONE cup of the Morton Salt Cure to TWO cups of DARK Brown Sugar.
Same timing in the cure...but we shortened the smoking time to 4 hours  The results can be seen in the pile of slabs labeled Batch 2  above.

Today  we sliced and packaged the final batch.  Using the ONE cup of salt-cure to TWO cups of brown sugar in the cure-rub, Five days in the cure-cooler, and then to add a touch of individuality, on two of these pieces we sprinkled Maple Sugar Crystals on the cured bacon before it went into the smoker.  We don't think that did much of anything to the meat in the final evaluation.

What you see here is the final batch, sliced and ready for freezing.  Lot of time involved, but in stages and not all that much labor.
starfire62
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
Re:Making Bacon-- Hog Hunt produces fine Pork 2012/10/08 22:15:00 (permalink)
al  did you rinse your bacon after you cured it before you smoked it?i did mine 2 yrs ago and it was great.i also  made pepperbacon with mine it was awesome.me and my wife still laugh at this.i smoked it and let it cool on counter and dog ate about half of it.i did nt push it back far enough.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Making Bacon-- Hog Hunt produces fine Pork 2012/10/09 02:30:54 (permalink)
Starfire--
Yes, we rinsed and patted dry again after removing the pork from the curing bags.  (forgot that step--thanks for the reminder.

We have two Scotties..those short legs deny them the ability to reach table height...and old age is trimming their ability to jump on the furniture at all.
icecreamchick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
Re:Making Bacon-- Hog Hunt produces fine Pork 2012/10/09 11:43:10 (permalink)
Looks great, Al!  We have the same electric smoker, and it does a good job. Love that you're building a bigger smokehouse. What a great project!
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:Making Bacon-- Hog Hunt produces fine Pork 2012/10/11 00:53:43 (permalink)
For some reason looking at all of this bacon is making me want to slap somebody!!  Looks very good, had to literally stop myself from reaching at the screen.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Making Bacon-- Hog Hunt produces fine Pork 2012/10/11 06:50:25 (permalink)
  Thank You.  It does taste good also !
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Making Bacon-- Hog Hunt produces fine Pork 2012/10/12 17:27:39 (permalink)
We did our first Venison Jerky today. 4 lbs of roast converted to 2 lbs of very good Teriyaki/Sweet Jerky Strips... Most of which will be headed to my son in Afghanistan in a CARE Package along with some U of Louisville drink cups and other things to make the time go by quicker.
starfire62
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
Re:Making Bacon-- Hog Hunt produces fine Pork 2012/10/14 22:02:14 (permalink)
al    have you ever thought of smoking it with corn cobs.i  go to this place all the time when i'm up in vermont.its the best bacon i ever eatin.dakin farms.they have a video on how they smoke it with corn cobs.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1