Making Money?

Author
brickboo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
2013/03/12 15:09:19 (permalink)

Making Money?

Any body making any money yet? I'm just getting ready after months of below 30 degrees I had to shut down. Frozen water lines etc.
Finally we get to try the Spring and Summer. It was hard getting started last fall. Locations are hard to find. It's like they don't want vendors in this town. 

A friend in my area built a cart with Steve 4 years ago and settled on just doing special events and such. He told me the other day he's out of it. I assume there aren't enough special events.

People here have money for the SPA and fees for workout trainers at clubs and such. They're keeping in shape. I don't think they will do more than a couple of hot dogs a year if any.

The other folks either don't like hot dogs or don't have the money to buy one I guess cause it's super slow in the old west. It's a good thing that I'm Pig headed, I'm not throwing in the towel yet.

I'm gonna try more Brats, Tamales and peppers this year.

8 Replies Related Threads

kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    Re:Making Money? 2013/03/12 18:21:25 (permalink)
    we have been. we served lunch 2 days a week at a steel plant all winter. then we did a first friday weekend event once a month. this weekend is the snake saturday parade and festival. then it is on every weekend till November.  we use a trailer instead of a cart though.
    EatEli
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Making Money? 2013/03/12 19:31:39 (permalink)
    I don't make money in the winter, I'm lucky if I can break even on monthly commissary fees and insurance. Summer's really outdoor food weather! Make sure you're saving cash all summer to keep yourself through the winter.

I only do events as well. Make sure to ask the right questions before signing up for an event. I usually look for a minimum of 500 people to food vendor ratio and a fee of less than 20% of sales.  Get friendly with some of the other vendors in your area (kettle corn, coffee, taco, etc) and they'll point you towards the best events and festivals.
    sillydogz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Making Money? 2013/03/12 20:16:48 (permalink)
    Brickboo, 

Have you considered offering an organic option? Might draw in people who would normally walk right by a hot dog cart. I know applegate farms offering a natural casing organic dog.   
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Making Money? 2013/03/12 22:57:31 (permalink)
    Nate,
    I need to educate my self about anything organic. I'm going to do what I can with what I started last fall for now. I will keep the organic dogs in mind and ask questions at the market and such and see what I am able to learn and talk it up.
    Thanks, any advice is appreciated by me. If you want to know anything about Masonry, Nine Ball, Chord Theory, Saxophone or arranger keyboards just ask. LOL
    Boo
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Making Money? 2013/03/13 12:51:03 (permalink)
    Mike, I just returned from a rattlesnake round-up in Sweetwater Texas this past weekend. Sold alligator on a stick.
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Making Money? 2013/03/13 15:35:19 (permalink)

Boo, maybe you need to target your market. Perhaps you should try and make your product as  healthy as possible, if that's what people want. Start with a whole grain bun. Find an organic dog or veggie dog. Find organic condiments. Feature local-grown veggies. Offer fruit juices and healthier types of chips. Go to Whole Foods and see what they have.
    Create a niche, then exploit it.  Put out flyers at all the spas, etc. Get press coverage as CO's first "Healthy Hot Dog Stand". Few people don't like hot dogs, they just know better to not eat them.
    I would do it, but people around here eat crap.
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Making Money? 2013/03/13 18:30:29 (permalink)
    Brick....what else are you selling besides dogs?  I mean what other sausages do you sell?  I carry a chicken garlic herb sausage which is really popular with the semi-healthy crowd around here.  I guess it's lower in fat or something but they like it....and it is delicious.  Maybe something like that would work...or else find a different location where there are more less health conscience customers....the whole town can't be spa going people can they? 
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Making Money? 2013/03/13 21:18:54 (permalink)
    I'm staying with the dogs, brats, Frito pie, maybe try the "Ball Park" precooked burgers, and tamales and see what happens. Hadn't worked the Spring or summer before. I'm really just getting comfortable with that menu.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1