Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Making Pastrami

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35
chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
Making Pastrami Thu, 10/31/13 5:21 PM (permalink)
I'm getting Pastrami from RC Provisions in Burbank Ca., costs me an arm and leg, It's a Brisket, of course, anyone have a recipe for making it? I do Corned Beef here but the flavors are so different! I steam the Pastrimi 5 hours, it's already smoked and seasoned, I can do all that easily enough but I can't figure out the whole process. Any help??

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1951
    Re:Making Pastrami Thu, 10/31/13 6:04 PM (permalink)
    Tom, I'm paying $5.69 for the navel, what's the brisket costing?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
      Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 12:07 AM (permalink)
      Making Pastrami from scratch
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdc1958DOm4

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1269
        Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 12:37 AM (permalink)
        Don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I made a modified version of this recipe (link below) by Michael Ruhlman. Since I didn't have the time to cure the meat, I purchased a corned beef brisket from the meat department, then used Ruhlman's rub and smoking/steaming technique for the Cameron Stove Top Smoker.  It turned out great.  I imagine doing the entire recipe would be even better.

http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-make-pastrami/

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3551
          Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 1:06 AM (permalink)
          This is the recipe I've used.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

That's how it turned out.  I used the smoking and then finishing in pressure cooker method.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1269
            Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 8:47 AM (permalink)
            Wow--that looks awesome, Ed!!!

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
              Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 9:55 AM (permalink)
              If I want good pastrami, I take a short 3000 mile flight and a cab to Katz....Tom, you can try a Dry cure, the amount of time depends on the weight. You will also have to trip the fat down to 1/8" so the rub gets into the meat. The other way would be a wet brine, if you already brine your brisket for corned beef, you can use the brined brisket. I would take the brined brisket and let it rest/dry out in the cooler  for a day or two. Then use a peppered spice mixture and smoke it up to 165 degrees.Let it set up in the cooler the same way you do your other smoked brisket...............?????????????  What temp do you smoke your briskets up to..................pnwc

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2012
                Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 10:13 AM (permalink)
                Thanks for posting this.     ... I'm going to do a pastrami for the next Lodge meeting in 2 weeks.    I was thinking of buying cold sandwiches from Subway.

There are many recipes on the net. Most are similar. Some use corned beet (pre-cured) while other recipes are cure at home.   I've looked at these before but never tried it.

I will use EdSails posted recipe above or may be this http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/barbecue-pastrami-recipe.html

I need to order some Morton Tender quick today.

edwmax

Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 11:07 AM (permalink)
                  Himmm  ... I have to check my sauerkraut supply or start a new batch.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                    Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 11:30 AM (permalink)
                    chewingthefat

I'm getting Pastrami from RC Provisions in Burbank Ca., costs me an arm and leg, It's a Brisket, of course, anyone have a recipe for making it? I do Corned Beef here but the flavors are so different! I steam the Pastrimi 5 hours, it's already smoked and seasoned, I can do all that easily enough but I can't figure out the whole process. Any help??

If you have a smoker, take your corned beef and smoke it, makes a wonderful pastrami! Start by rubbing it with kosher salt, coriander, black pepper, ground mustard seed, and garlic. The coriander is a MUST! Before this, soak your corned beef in water, couple hours a pound, change water every couple of hours too. Rub it with the rub, smoke for and hour or so per pound, and you'll have a Pastrami that will be fantastic!!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                      Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 12:10 PM (permalink)
                      pnwchef

If I want good pastrami, I take a short 3000 mile flight and a cab to Katz's....

You took the words right out of my mind. Thankfully, my flight would only be half as long, however.

Twinwillow

Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 12:47 PM (permalink)
                        BTW, EdSails, your pastrami looks fabulous!

chewingthefat

Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 12:48 PM (permalink)
                          chefbuba

Tom, I'm paying $5.69 for the navel, what's the brisket costing?

Chef, Full cut brisket costs me $2.54 lb. Sysco is charging me $6.57 for the navel. my first order from RC Provisions was $300.00 in freight alone, hence SYSCO, who I really dislike. I need to make it myself. I buy raw brined brisket for $3.10 lb. Penzys Corned Beef seasoning, 16 hour smoke, voila terriffic Corned beef, smoked, cooled, sliced, then on the Keating Flat Top for a quick heating, seriously good, really popular!
                          Tom

chewingthefat

Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 12:55 PM (permalink)
                            pnwchef

If I want good pastrami, I take a short 3000 mile flight and a cab to Katz....Tom, you can try a Dry cure, the amount of time depends on the weight. You will also have to trip the fat down to 1/8" so the rub gets into the meat. The other way would be a wet brine, if you already brine your brisket for corned beef, you can use the brined brisket. I would take the brined brisket and let it rest/dry out in the cooler  for a day or two. Then use a peppered spice mixture and smoke it up to 165 degrees.Let it set up in the cooler the same way you do your other smoked brisket...............?????????????  What temp do you smoke your briskets up to..................pnwc

Bill, I pull the briskets at around 195, wrap in foil for 24 hours, slice and rewarm them in a house beef broth, careful not to get too hot or it tastes like boiled meat, that has happened a few times, drives me nuts as I have to toss it, my lead cooks asleep at the wheel!

chewingthefat

Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 12:57 PM (permalink)
                              EdSails

This is the recipe I've used.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

That's how it turned out.  I used the smoking and then finishing in pressure cooker method.

Awsome!

chewingthefat

Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                kevincad

chewingthefat

If you have a smoker, take your corned beef and smoke it, makes a wonderful pastrami! Start by rubbing it with kosher salt, coriander, black pepper, ground mustard seed, and garlic. The coriander is a MUST! Before this, soak your corned beef in water, couple hours a pound, change water every couple of hours too. Rub it with the rub, smoke for and hour or so per pound, and you'll have a Pastrami that will be fantastic!!

Thanks Kevin, sounds great!

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                  Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                  chewingthefat

kevincad

chewingthefat

Thanks Kevin, sounds great!

It really works well, just remember the soaking and changing water to get a bunch of the salt out! 

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3551
                                    Re:Making Pastrami Fri, 11/1/13 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                    Twinwillow

BTW, EdSails, your pastrami looks fabulous!

Thanks much, it was yummy!

edwmax

Re:Making Pastrami Mon, 11/4/13 6:19 PM (permalink)
                                      Yea ... my morton tenderquick came today and a 10lb brisket now in the frig for a 4 day cure.   Friday night or Saturday morning, I will put it on the grill for a slow smoke.

sandrew834

• Total Posts: 53
                                        Re:Making Pastrami Wed, 11/6/13 1:19 AM (permalink)
                                        I made this yesterday and it turned out great. I had a 2.5 lb brisket, soaked it in the brine 8 hrs, cooked it for 3 1/2 hrs then wrapped it tightly in foil and refrigerated immediately. I let it set in the fridge overnight to "rest" before I sliced it. Wasn't dry at all and sure beats paying $11.99 lb. at the store! Everyone loves it and it is so fragrant!

edwmax

Re:Making Pastrami Mon, 11/11/13 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                          Ok ...my 12 1/2 lb brisket had a 4 day dry rub cure.  I took it out of the frig Saturday about 12 noon. The cure was washed off and a dry rub of black pepper, coriander, and brown sugar was put on.  It was put back into the frig until about 4:30 pm and then was set on the counter to come to room temp.
                                           The grill was fired (5:30 pm) with about 12 hot charcoals and another 12 cold coals were placed on top along with pecan twigs.  More pecan was added at 7:30 pm to keep the smoking heavy.  This was just for smoking the meat.  ... The grill temp was 200 or just under.

The brisket was put on the grill at 6pm and taken off at 9pm.  It was then put into the electric roaster for the rest of the night.   The roaster temp was set just under 200 deg.  About 3 am I was up and checked the meat temp. It was 183 deg. I turned the temp down to 175 deg. then went back to bed.  At 7 am the meat temp was 178 deg.   The roaster was turned off to cool down.

Little buddies waiting for their piece ...

<message edited by edwmax on Mon, 11/11/13 8:58 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:Making Pastrami Mon, 11/11/13 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                            sandrew834

I made this yesterday and it turned out great. I had a 2.5 lb brisket, soaked it in the brine 8 hrs, cooked it for 3 1/2 hrs then wrapped it tightly in foil and refrigerated immediately. I let it set in the fridge overnight to "rest" before I sliced it. Wasn't dry at all and sure beats paying $11.99 lb. at the store! Everyone loves it and it is so fragrant!

Could someone please explain to me why this post was flagged?

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7742
                                              Re:Making Pastrami Mon, 11/11/13 9:15 PM (permalink)
                                              It's cut/copied comments from another site...

http://my.foodnetwork.com...yle.esi?userid=3712747

Uncle Groucho

• Total Posts: 207
                                                Re:Making Pastrami Mon, 11/11/13 9:21 PM (permalink)
                                                Looks good Ed , cute kitties.

edwmax

Re:Making Pastrami Mon, 11/11/13 9:24 PM (permalink)
                                                  My wife's Aunt asked why was the meat 'black'  ... She thought it was burnt.   ... Anyways, I told her it was because   ... I knew what I was doing.  ... hahaha   ... heck now I'm hungry, I think a sandwich is next.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
                                                    Re:Making Pastrami Mon, 11/11/13 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                                    Twinwillow

sandrew834

Could someone please explain to me why this post was flagged?

Probably because someone recognized that it was lifted directly from a comment on the Food Network website.

Twinwillow

Re:Making Pastrami Mon, 11/11/13 11:58 PM (permalink)
                                                      My thanks to Michael Hoffman and CCinNJ for the explanation. I did not realize that. But, I understand now.

edwmax

Re:Making Pastrami Tue, 11/12/13 3:27 AM (permalink)
                                                        Uncle Groucho

Thanks ... that was soo easy   and my version of  Katzs  ... er I mean Kitties ...

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
                                                          • Location: Kennewick, WA
                                                          Re:Making Pastrami Tue, 11/12/13 10:02 AM (permalink)
                                                          edwmax

Uncle Groucho

Thanks ... that was soo easy   and my version of  Katzs  ... er I mean Kitties ...

ed, looks great, looks like we have a new deli, Catz's, now learn how to make Knish..............

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                            • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Making Pastrami Tue, 11/12/13 3:08 PM (permalink)
                                                            Twinwillow

My thanks to Michael Hoffman and CCinNJ for the explanation. I did not realize that. But, I understand now.

And EVERY post Sandrew has made has been lifted from another site and reposted here as their own.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com