Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
aharste
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
2005/02/02 12:10:41 (permalink)

Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home

If I were going to make these at home, what type of beef would you recommend?

I've seen recipes using everything from hamburger to Steak umms, to deli roast beef, to sliced rib eye.

Having only been to Philadelphia once, and not having had the opportunity to try one, I'm kind of in the dark as to what would be the most "appropriate" to use.

52 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18661
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/02/02 12:25:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aharste

I've seen recipes using everything from hamburger to Steak umms, to deli roast beef, to sliced rib eye.

Having only been to Philadelphia once, and not having had the opportunity to try one, I'm kind of in the dark as to what would be the most "appropriate" to use.

If you can get it, ribeye sliced paper-thin. If you can't get ribeye, I'd suggest eye of the round, partially frozen and then sliced paper-thin in a slicer.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/02/02 12:33:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aharste

I'm glad you asked this question, as I too wanted to know. I've tried 2 of the aforementioned and thought steak umm's were dry and tasteless. I prefered deli roast beef. Now on to better things. I was hoping to make these Sunday.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2013
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/02/02 13:21:51 (permalink)
    I don't care for "steakums". I bought the new "Leroux" freshpak product last week. It was good. I think that they are only in New England. It is a sliced beef, not a reconstituted sliced beef "product". Because the Leroux product is fresh it cooks really fast. You have to stay with it. I cook the onion for a minute or two before I add the meat. I don't think that deli beef would be the same, because it is pre cooked.
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/02/04 09:03:01 (permalink)
    The best is Rib eye but also the most$$.The next would be Eye of Round but it dont have a lot of fat to keep it moist.Make sure to slice it on a slicer .
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/02/04 20:36:15 (permalink)
    I don't think a minute steak would taste bad if you chopped it all up while it was cooking and you loaded it into a roll. Of course, you'd have to have the right roll, but that's another thread, I'm sure.
    creek rat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/02/04 21:18:10 (permalink)
    In the twin cities their is supposed to be an authentic cheese steak shop run by a South Philly transplant that my son told me is close to the real deal. It might be worth your while to check it out. Getting steakums or something like it is amost impossible in "the land of 10,000 head colds".
    creek rat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/02/05 14:23:10 (permalink)
    That Philly cheese steak place is I think in downtown Minneapolis. I hope that info. narrows your search a little bit. Like I said it is worth looking into.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/02/05 14:34:17 (permalink)
    Thin Sliced Rib Eye is the way to go!

I'm not sure if this product line is available in your neck of the woods, but I sure enjoy them! (Especially the beef sizzlers): http://www.stehouwerfrozenfoods.com/
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/02/10 11:54:06 (permalink)
    Wow! Uncle Vic, you found the answer to my long-ago query!
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1861

At least, you found their web site...I did manage to find the steaks at a SaveALot store.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4078
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 14:24:08 (permalink)
    Making cheese steaks tonight. I've got the ribeye, sliced thin----the cheese whiz-----and trying to find some Italian rolls. None of the recipes I've seen mention seasoning----do you season the meat when cooking it? any suggestions on making it-----chop or not to chop, etc?
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 14:46:40 (permalink)
    Ive had chesesteaks from pat's and geno's and thousand of other places, steakums although edible hardly suffice, thinly sliced ribeye cooked over hi heat in their own juices (use 2 spatules so you can pull apart while cooking)onions sauteed with the meat or on the side, when done cover with provolone and roll, let the roll steam for a couple minutes, alternatly fill the roll with meat mixture and cheesewhiz. You can add a little steak sauce while cooking and Ive had good results using thinly sliced roast beef.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 14:50:08 (permalink)
    Try checking with Cheesewit. He's very knowledgeable.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 15:05:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by creek rat

In the twin cities their is supposed to be an authentic cheese steak shop run by a South Philly transplant that my son told me is close to the real deal. It might be worth your while to check it out. Getting steakums or something like it is amost impossible in "the land of 10,000 head colds".
    I always thought it was called "the land of the mosquito".
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 15:12:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I'm not sure if this product line is available in your neck of the woods, but I sure enjoy them! (Especially the beef sizzlers): http://www.stehouwerfrozenfoods.com/
    I used to get those Sizzlers all the time!!! I totally forgot about them until now. Actually not available here anymore. It was a thin hamburger draped in thinly sliced steak right? Thanks, the search is on.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 15:47:25 (permalink)
    Steakums are just processed meat, nowhere as good as real meat sliced thin. Sliced deli roast beef is great for making a Chicago beef or Buffalo style beef on 'wick sandwich, but not a true Philly Steak sandwich. I have used deli rost beef soaked in heated beef broth to make a great beef aujus on french bread, and added seasoning for Chicgo beef.

Like Michael and jellybear said, for the real Philly Steak sandwich, you need to use ribeye sliced thin. Break it up a bit on the grill (more likely in a frying pan at home)and add some pre-sauted onions, peppers, and mushrooms if you like. Mound it up when cooked, add the cheese on top, let it start to melt, then transfer to the roll.

Philly Steakout in Rochester makes an authentic Philly Steak and they use ribeye.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 16:57:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

Making cheese steaks tonight. I've got the ribeye, sliced thin----the cheese whiz-----and trying to find some Italian rolls. None of the recipes I've seen mention seasoning----do you season the meat when cooking it? any suggestions on making it-----chop or not to chop, etc?

Don't season the meat while cooking. You can salt and pepper the sandwich after the meat and cheese are in the roll. To chop or not to chop is a matter of personal preference. I'd take the middle road and chop a little-not a lot. Leave some nice size slices. This can be an experiment: chop the meat for one sandwich, just lay slices in another sandwich.

Have fun! Don't overcook the meat. Use a hot pan, add a bit of olive oil, heat that 'til it starts to pop out of the pan, add your meat. Fry for about 20-35 seconds on one side, turn and fry for another 30 seconds. If doing fried onions, add them to the pan and keep them on the side away from the meat. Lower your heat, using a spatula, take out the meat and load your rolls, add onions to that. If you use cheesewhiz, heat separately and pour over the meat in the roll.

ENJOY!!!
    CheeseWit
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 16:58:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

Try checking with Cheesewit. He's very knowledgeable.

Thanks for the compliment...your check is in the mail!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 17:33:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I used to get those Sizzlers all the time!!! I totally forgot about them until now. Actually not available here anymore. It was a thin hamburger draped in thinly sliced steak right? Thanks, the search is on.

Yup, just layer upon layer of thinly sliced steak...
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 19:21:46 (permalink)
    Those Beef Sizzlers remind me of OnCor Butter Beef Steaks of my Youth.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 19:31:54 (permalink)
    For some reason, you can never duplicate the taste and flavor of the orignal Philly Cheese steak. Perhaps Cheesewit can explain that?

Perhaps it is like trying to duplicate a White Castle or a Krystal or even a McDonalds??

I would be the Cheesewit would know this better than anyone.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CheeseWit
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 21:03:18 (permalink)
    Paul, I firmly believe that it has all to do with the grill (or griddle if you will). It is usually very seasoned and it definitely has a higher heat than what can be done in a pan on a stove.

The grills at Pat's or Geno's or Jim's or Tony Luke's have been in use for years. They also are used almost continuously around the clock.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/18 23:55:45 (permalink)
    One of the reasons it's so difficult to reproduce a Philly cheesesteak elsewhere is the bread. It's just about impossible to get a real Italian hoagie roll from other than a real Italian baker, not many of which are found outside the cheesesteak/hoagie belt. Meat and cheese and onions can be found widely. Without a good Italian roll, it's just not gonna be the same.
    jamesb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/19 00:21:06 (permalink)
    Aharste
    The best places I've found to get thin sliced ribeye steak are Asian markets, and that is your best option meat-wise. GordonW is right, though. Without a good Amoroso roll, or its equivalent, somehow it isn't quite the same. I keep trying, though, 'cause it's a long way from Oregon to Philly, and the urge never goes away.JAMESB
    dreamzpainter
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/19 08:57:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

For some reason, you can never duplicate the taste and flavor of the orignal Philly Cheese steak. Perhaps Cheesewit can explain that?

Perhaps it is like trying to duplicate a White Castle or a Krystal or even a McDonalds??

I would be the Cheesewit would know this better than anyone.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    IMHO its because theres no definative "Philly Cheesesteak" There are icons such as Pat's or Geno's and each have their own loyal followers but every eating establishment in the area has its own version, some better than others... It comes down to availablity and personal taste. If your an hour from south philly and the local pipzzeria makes a cheesesteak with provolone melted through the meat or perhaps layers the meat over american cheese slices laid on the roll, thats what you go for. Is it as good as Pat's/Geno's??? Maybe..Is it what YOU consider a "Real Cheesesteak"?? More than likely. Palombo's in Cinnaminson N.J. toasts theirs and it's awesum, Yellow Submarine in Maple Shade, N.J. makes their monster on a hoagie roll with a cheese combo mmmmMMMMmmmm... I was intriqued by the "chicago italian beef" thread and found some frozen at Wal-Mart, some sauteed peppers and onions and it was a great sandwich, a couple slices of cheese..... Was it a "real" cheesesteak? No.. But it was a FANTABULOUS steak and cheese... So thinly sliced beef, onions, peppers and cheese served up in a roll, wrapped in a tortia or stuffed in a pita shell... a rose by any other name.... just enjoy!!
    jellybear
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/19 09:01:54 (permalink)
    I have never had a Cheesesteak that was made with deli sliced roast beef that could match that of fresh sliced beef.One bite and you could tell.Like I said if rib eye is not available then go with the eye of round.It wont be as juicy but far better than deli meats.And a good Hoagi roll is a must!I make my own Italian bread most of the time but sometimes I will subsitute with a good store bought roll.
    jellybear
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/19 09:07:07 (permalink)
    I have never had a Cheesesteak that was made with deli sliced roast beef that could match that of fresh sliced beef.One bite and you could tell.Like I said if rib eye is not available then go with the eye of round.It wont be as juicy but far better than deli meats.And a good Hoagi roll is a must!I make my own Italian bread most of the time but sometimes I will subsitute with a good store bought roll.
    dreamzpainter
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/19 09:13:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

When your jonesin and have a package of deli roast beef... well I agree its not Pat's but add a little A1 and/or Au Jaus (sp)to the pan some onions and (horrors) velvetta.. pretty good noshing for a 5minute endevour..
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/19 16:14:29 (permalink)
    I think, too, that it is the thinness of the beef. I was at Rick's in Reading Terminal Market yesterday morning -- they were serving, but still doing prep work. Some guy was slaving away with what looked like top round on a commercial deli slicing machine, reducing about five pounds of meat into a pile of super-thin slices that would become steak sandwiches. It's got to be deli thin to cook right and eat right. For a Philly steak sandwich. There are steak sandwiches with thicker cuts of meat, but it's not the Philly style.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Making Philly Cheese Steaks at home 2005/04/19 16:25:41 (permalink)
    Sorry. Dumb. That's Jim's at Reading Terminal Market. Part of one of the families that has the cheesesteak places down at the Italian Market at 9th and Passyunk.

And for folks visiting, relating my lack of knowledge, the Italian Market in South Philly is pretty much closed on a Monday. Got to go elsewhere to get a fix on a Monday.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1