The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 Making money at WH

Author Message
Foodbme

  • Total Posts: 9551
  • Joined: 9/1/2006
  • Location: Gilbert, AZ
Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 5:49 PM (permalink)
Someone raised the question of how does WH make money with so few seats. The answer is TURNOVER . Those seats never get cold. They crank 'em in and crank 'em out. They can turnover every seat 3 or 4 times an hour, so if it's a 30 seat shop, that's 90 to 120 customers an hour times an average ticket of $10 bucks = $1000 bucks an hour times 24 hours a day = $24,000 a day times 365 days = $8,760,000.00 a year. Any more Questions??? I know a WH waitress who made over $60,000 in tips last year. That's why in every WH I've ever been in, the Waitresses hustle to turn those seats. And a breakfast of Waffle, 2 eggs, 2 sausage patties, grits & Toast has a food cost of about $1.45 and retails for about $7.50. Do the math.
 
#1
    Adjudicator

    • Total Posts: 5057
    • Joined: 5/20/2003
    • Location: Tallahassee, FL
    RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 7:45 PM (permalink)
    So I guess that factors in the folks who sit around and drink coffee for 2-3 hours (no food ordered)...
     
    #2
      Greymo

      • Total Posts: 3663
      • Joined: 11/30/2005
      • Location: Marriottsville, MD
      RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 7:47 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Foodbme

      Someone raised the question of how does WH make money with so few seats. The answer is TURNOVER . Those seats never get cold. They crank 'em in and crank 'em out. They can turnover every seat 3 or 4 times an hour, so if it's a 30 seat shop, that's 90 to 120 customers an hour times an average ticket of $10 bucks = $1000 bucks an hour times 24 hours a day = $24,000 a day times 365 days = $8,760,000.00 a year. Any more Questions??? I know a WH waitress who made over $60,000 in tips last year. That's why in every WH I've ever been in, the Waitresses hustle to turn those seats. And a breakfast of Waffle, 2 eggs, 2 sausage patties, grits & Toast has a food cost of about $1.45 and retails for about $7.50. Do the math.



      Where in the world did you come up with that figure? I would not cook one egg for 1.45!
       
      #3
        Foodbme

        • Total Posts: 9551
        • Joined: 9/1/2006
        • Location: Gilbert, AZ
        RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 7:52 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Greymo

        quote:
        Originally posted by Foodbme

        Someone raised the question of how does WH make money with so few seats. The answer is TURNOVER . Those seats never get cold. They crank 'em in and crank 'em out. They can turnover every seat 3 or 4 times an hour, so if it's a 30 seat shop, that's 90 to 120 customers an hour times an average ticket of $10 bucks = $1000 bucks an hour times 24 hours a day = $24,000 a day times 365 days = $8,760,000.00 a year. Any more Questions??? I know a WH waitress who made over $60,000 in tips last year. That's why in every WH I've ever been in, the Waitresses hustle to turn those seats. And a breakfast of Waffle, 2 eggs, 2 sausage patties, grits & Toast has a food cost of about $1.45 and retails for about $7.50. Do the math.



        Where in the world did you come up with that figure? I would not cook one egg for 1.45!


        The $1.45 is their total cost for the ingredients that go into the breakfast, not the profit. If their operating costs are similiar to most restraunts, they should make about $2.50-$3.00 on that $7.50 breakfast.
         
        #4
          Foodbme

          • Total Posts: 9551
          • Joined: 9/1/2006
          • Location: Gilbert, AZ
          RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 7:56 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Adjudicator

          So I guess that factors in the folks who sit around and drink coffee for 2-3 hours (no food ordered)...
          .

          They are offset by the people who come in and and get a meal to go without sitting down. We're talkin' averages here. Even if you cut my estimates in half they're still making $$$$$$$$! AND they put up those cookie cutter pre-fab buildings in no time and with very little capital expense compared to other fast food chains.
           
          #5
            Adjudicator

            • Total Posts: 5057
            • Joined: 5/20/2003
            • Location: Tallahassee, FL
            RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 8:19 PM (permalink)
            I go to WH or one of it's similar clones (http://www.huddlehouse.com) sporadically with my spouse for breakfast. Prices around the same. Bill usually always around $15.00 . If I consider what I could have made same breakfast for (much cheaper...), then I can see the potential for revenue for such a chain.
             
            #6
              Michael Hoffman

              • Total Posts: 17823
              • Joined: 7/1/2000
              • Location: Gahanna, OH
              RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 9:04 PM (permalink)
              OK. First of all, the breakfast you described comes to $7.35 at my Waffle House And you'll recall that you did not include coffee. Costing out your breakfast was not feasible, however, because of some time constraints this evening. the Waffle House regional manager did say that your food cost is low.
              Now, as to turning tables, at the No. 1 grossing Waffle House in the nation, 3385 Dublin-Granville Rd., Westerville, Ohio 43081, the quickest rate on a busy weekend or holiday day, during peak hours, is twice an hour, according to the regional manager. Counter turns are faster on those same days, and during those same peak hours. And, according to that regional manager, your claimed average of $10 a check per person would be a wonderful thing, but that's not what they're doing.

              Is a Waffle House that performs well a money maker? You bet. But your figures, again, according to the regional manager, are so far out of the ballpark as to be on a different planet.
               
              #7
                Adjudicator

                • Total Posts: 5057
                • Joined: 5/20/2003
                • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 9:16 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                OK. First of all, the breakfast you described comes to $7.35 at my Waffle House And you'll recall that you did not include coffee. Costing out your breakfast was not feasible, however, because of some time constraints this evening. the Waffle House regional manager did say that your food cost is low.
                Now, as to turning tables, at the No. 1 grossing Waffle House in the nation, 3385 Dublin-Granville Rd., Westerville, Ohio 43081, the quickest rate on a busy weekend or holiday day, during peak hours, is twice an hour, according to the regional manager. Counter turns are faster on those same days, and during those same peak hours. And, according to that regional manager, your claimed average of $10 a check per person would be a wonderful thing, but that's not what they're doing.

                Is a Waffle House that performs well a money maker? You bet. But your figures, again, according to the regional manager, are so far out of the ballpark as to be on a different planet.


                Especially the waitress who made 60K.

                BTW: I am filling out my WH/HH app. NOW. For 60K/yr., I will at least be able to work for same on the weekends...
                 
                #8
                  rick2006

                  • Total Posts: 2
                  • Joined: 5/28/2006
                  • Location: westerville, OH
                  RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 9:22 PM (permalink)
                  All of your profit projections are well and good, but there is a major overhead cost that is neglected. Speaking to the sectional director at my local WH, he mentioned that the No. 1 grossing Waffle House in the nation, 3385 Dublin-Granville Rd., Westerville, Ohio 43081, needs to settle on average 10 lawsuits claiming food poisoning.
                  While most are frivilous and they settle on the cheap, 2 or 3 are due to the bad food and cost big money.
                  The ptomaine poisoning incident of 2004 due to the awful chili cost 7.5 million dollars because of the death of the husband and the critical illness of the wife. He said they are considering placing signs at the WF stating "Eat at your own rish, not liable for the ****ty food"
                  No lie
                   
                  #9
                    Adjudicator

                    • Total Posts: 5057
                    • Joined: 5/20/2003
                    • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                    RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 9:39 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by rick2006

                    All of your profit projections are well and good, but there is a major overhead cost that is neglected. Speaking to the sectional director at my local WH, he mentioned that the No. 1 grossing Waffle House in the nation, 3385 Dublin-Granville Rd., Westerville, Ohio 43081, needs to settle on average 10 lawsuits claiming food poisoning.
                    While most are frivilous and they settle on the cheap, 2 or 3 are due to the bad food and cost big money.
                    The ptomaine poisoning incident of 2004 due to the awful chili cost 7.5 million dollars because of the death of the husband and the critical illness of the wife. He said they are considering placing signs at the WF stating "Eat at your own rish, not liable for the ****ty food"
                    No lie



                    Of course you can give us all references to these incidents?
                     
                    #10
                      Michael Hoffman

                      • Total Posts: 17823
                      • Joined: 7/1/2000
                      • Location: Gahanna, OH
                      RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 9:39 PM (permalink)
                      Troll time!
                       
                      #11
                        Michael Hoffman

                        • Total Posts: 17823
                        • Joined: 7/1/2000
                        • Location: Gahanna, OH
                        RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 9:40 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Adjudicator

                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                        OK. First of all, the breakfast you described comes to $7.35 at my Waffle House And you'll recall that you did not include coffee. Costing out your breakfast was not feasible, however, because of some time constraints this evening. the Waffle House regional manager did say that your food cost is low.
                        Now, as to turning tables, at the No. 1 grossing Waffle House in the nation, 3385 Dublin-Granville Rd., Westerville, Ohio 43081, the quickest rate on a busy weekend or holiday day, during peak hours, is twice an hour, according to the regional manager. Counter turns are faster on those same days, and during those same peak hours. And, according to that regional manager, your claimed average of $10 a check per person would be a wonderful thing, but that's not what they're doing.

                        Is a Waffle House that performs well a money maker? You bet. But your figures, again, according to the regional manager, are so far out of the ballpark as to be on a different planet.


                        Especially the waitress who made 60K.

                        BTW: I am filling out my WH/HH app. NOW. For 60K/yr., I will at least be able to work for same on the weekends...

                        In fact, $35,000-$40,000 has been achieved.
                         
                        #12
                          rick2006

                          • Total Posts: 2
                          • Joined: 5/28/2006
                          • Location: westerville, OH
                          RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 9:44 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Adjudicator

                          quote:
                          Originally posted by rick2006

                          All of your profit projections are well and good, but there is a major overhead cost that is neglected. Speaking to the sectional director at my local WH, he mentioned that the No. 1 grossing Waffle House in the nation, 3385 Dublin-Granville Rd., Westerville, Ohio 43081, needs to settle on average 10 lawsuits claiming food poisoning.
                          While most are frivilous and they settle on the cheap, 2 or 3 are due to the bad food and cost big money.
                          The ptomaine poisoning incident of 2004 due to the awful chili cost 7.5 million dollars because of the death of the husband and the critical illness of the wife. He said they are considering placing signs at the WF stating "Eat at your own rish, not liable for the ****ty food"
                          No lie



                          Of course you can give us all references to these incidents?


                          certainly westerville OH the #1 gross...ok you get the picture had a Mr Joseph Krall die from the syphillis tainted chili he ate. Luckily his fat ugly wife only got a bad case of gas. 11-9-2004 look it up
                           
                          #13
                            Michael Hoffman

                            • Total Posts: 17823
                            • Joined: 7/1/2000
                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                            RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 9:48 PM (permalink)
                            Oh, Moderators, you have a recidivist on the premises.
                             
                            #14
                              Foodbme

                              • Total Posts: 9551
                              • Joined: 9/1/2006
                              • Location: Gilbert, AZ
                              RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 10:00 PM (permalink)

                              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                              OK. First of all, the breakfast you described comes to $7.35 at my Waffle House And you'll recall that you did not include coffee. Costing out your breakfast was not feasible, however, because of some time constraints this evening. the Waffle House regional manager did say that your food cost is low.
                              Now, as to turning tables, at the No. 1 grossing Waffle House in the nation, 3385 Dublin-Granville Rd., Westerville, Ohio 43081, the quickest rate on a busy weekend or holiday day, during peak hours, is twice an hour, according to the regional manager. Counter turns are faster on those same days, and during those same peak hours. And, according to that regional manager, your claimed average of $10 a check per person would be a wonderful thing, but that's not what they're doing.

                              Is a Waffle House that performs well a money maker? You bet. But your figures, again, according to the regional manager, are so far out of the ballpark as to be on a different planet.
                              [/

                              If you read my last entry I said cut my estimates in half and they are still making money!
                               
                              #15
                                Michael Hoffman

                                • Total Posts: 17823
                                • Joined: 7/1/2000
                                • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                RE: Making money at WH Thu, 09/7/06 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Foodbme


                                Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                                OK. First of all, the breakfast you described comes to $7.35 at my Waffle House And you'll recall that you did not include coffee. Costing out your breakfast was not feasible, however, because of some time constraints this evening. the Waffle House regional manager did say that your food cost is low.
                                Now, as to turning tables, at the No. 1 grossing Waffle House in the nation, 3385 Dublin-Granville Rd., Westerville, Ohio 43081, the quickest rate on a busy weekend or holiday day, during peak hours, is twice an hour, according to the regional manager. Counter turns are faster on those same days, and during those same peak hours. And, according to that regional manager, your claimed average of $10 a check per person would be a wonderful thing, but that's not what they're doing.

                                Is a Waffle House that performs well a money maker? You bet. But your figures, again, according to the regional manager, are so far out of the ballpark as to be on a different planet.
                                [/

                                If you read my last entry I said cut my estimates in half and they are still making money!

                                Oh, of course they're making money. I wasn't disputing that at all.
                                 
                                #16
                                  V960

                                  • Total Posts: 2429
                                  • Joined: 6/17/2005
                                  • Location: Kannapolis area, NC
                                  RE: Making money at WH Fri, 09/8/06 10:40 AM (permalink)
                                  You boys are the big spenders. I order two eggs, hash browns, toast, water (I just don't like WH coffee) and it is less than $3.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    MikeS.

                                    • Total Posts: 5360
                                    • Joined: 7/1/2003
                                    • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Making money at WH Sun, 09/10/06 11:57 PM (permalink)
                                    Greymo, don't know where you live but ya need to move. I can buy an 18pack of large eggs for 1.38 any day of the week.

                                    MikeS.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                      Jump to:

                                      Current active users

                                      There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                      Icon Legend and Permission

                                      • New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

                                      2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com