Mallomars

Author
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
2006/10/17 22:03:49 (permalink)

Mallomars

As a kid growing up in Brooklyn, Mallomars (Nabisco) were always my preferred cookie of choice. I have always missed them living in Dallas, Now, one of the large supermarkets in Dallas is stocking them with a sign on the display that say's, "New York City's favorite cookie" My taste buds trembled with excitement as I carried my package home. Damn! I had no milk in the house! Quickly, I ran to the nearest 7-11, bought a quart of (non fat) moo juice, ran back home and proceeded to devour the box with a smile on my face.
Does anyone else share my addiction for this chocolate covered marshmallow
"comfort food" cookie?

9 Replies Related Threads

Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Mallomars 2006/10/17 22:44:29 (permalink)
    I grew up in Brooklyn too and loved Mallomars. I still enjoy them though I have to watch the sugar thing now. I believe they're pretty common here in CT and just saw a display in, of all places, Wal-Mart. Do you remember the marshmallow sandwich cookies that were sold in long, narrow boxes--maybe a dozen cookies in the box? Believe they were a Nabisco product. The cookies used in the "sandwiches" were a vanilla-flavored cookie. Loved those too.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Mallomars 2006/10/17 22:50:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ciaoman

I grew up in Brooklyn too and loved Mallomars. I still enjoy them though I have to watch the sugar thing now. I believe they're pretty common here in CT and just saw a display in, of all places, Wal-Mart. Do you remember the marshmallow sandwich cookies that were sold in long, narrow boxes--maybe a dozen cookies in the box? Believe they were a Nabisco product. The cookies used in the "sandwiches" were a vanilla-flavored cookie. Loved those too.

Well, believe it or not, the large supermarket I mentioned in my above post was.........Walmart!
    I never met a marshmallow cookie I didn't like.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Mallomars 2006/10/18 09:02:38 (permalink)
    Now I remember some were covered with chocolate and some were covered with coconut in different colors. I also think some had some jelly inside. Are all these varities official mallomars?
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Mallomars 2006/10/18 09:16:57 (permalink)
    I never thought of Mallomars as regional. They were common in New England when I was growing up. But they were a special treat. Beside the fact that they're mostly sugar, they were expensive, as a package of mallomars held maybe 20 cookies in a carboard (later plastic) tray compared to a big boxful of loose cookies.

Mallomars didn't last long in our house.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Mallomars 2006/10/20 13:42:54 (permalink)
    Here's the link to another thread on mallomars and pinwheels. Yum!

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14724

BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1173
    RE: Mallomars 2006/11/03 18:29:05 (permalink)
    I saw them referred to in a couple of movies(When Harry Met Sally) and was always curious about them. I even thought if I ever went to NY, one of the things I'd look for is Mallomars. A few years ago, our Albertson's carried them for a short time, and they were wonderful.

Then the store stopped carrying them, and Albertson's closed down after a Super Wal Mart went up close by. I read somewhere that Mallomars are only distributed to certain areas like New York, New England, and even then only shipped during cooler months. I figure living here in NOLA either the climate was too warm, or there wasn't enough interest in them, and they were more expensive than most of the usual cookines including Pinwheels, which not the same, do give me some comfort.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Mallomars 2006/11/03 18:55:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

Now I remember some were covered with chocolate and some were covered with coconut in different colors. I also think some had some jelly inside. Are all these varities official mallomars?

Ah huh! I thought so. No one would believe me when I told them that Mallomars
    had a drop of jelly under the marshmallow on the Mallomars I had as a kid.
    Thank you. I new I wasn't dreaming that.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Mallomars 2006/11/03 19:39:21 (permalink)
    Of course, you were supposed to scrape off the marshmallow (with your teeth) and eat the cookie separately. In fact, I think it was de riguer to separate most layered candy/cookies and eat it part by part.....
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Mallomars 2006/11/03 19:46:11 (permalink)
    I agree! The Mallomars I bought at Walmart did not have that "dot" of jelly
    under the marshmallow pillow.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1